Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Only Shallow posted:

http://cooltrainer.org/projects/freebsd-kirkwood/

Let me know if I missed anything :)

Dockstar ordered, can't wait to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

SmirkingJack posted:

Dockstar ordered, can't wait to try it.

Same here! Great write-up Only Shallow! Oh, and thanks for precompiling some packages.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
Well, this is probably heretical but I'll ask anyway.

At some point I'll end up moving to a VPS and rootbsd.com looks pretty good but I am also considering a Linux host since there are many more options. Is there a known "Linux for BSD folk" (Ubuntu specifically) guide out there that points out notable differences (run levels what) and explains the Linux way of doing things?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SmirkingJack posted:

At some point I'll end up moving to a VPS and rootbsd.com looks pretty good but I am also considering a Linux host since there are many more options. Is there a known "Linux for BSD folk" (Ubuntu specifically) guide out there that points out notable differences (run levels what) and explains the Linux way of doing things?

Coming from BSD, you'll get an even more twisted view of things by using Ubuntu.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
I'm using a FreeBSD machine as a home server including hosting network storage for my flatmate and me. It's becoming time to upgrade the storage, so we're going to buy a couple of 2TB disks each to chuck in the box, replacing my 4x 250GB RAID5 (attached to a HighPoint HPT374).

I'm really quite interested in using ZFS for it, but the machine itself is a dual P3-1GHz with 768MB of RAM (aww :) ). For all the stuff this box does at home, this is plenty. It's not going to cut it for ZFS though as I don't want to run ZFS on i386 :)

I'm after recommendations for a suitable replacement motherboard and CPU so I can install amd64 and chuck a few GB of RAM in, and then use ZFS for the new disks. The machine is on 24h/day so the lower power the better - hopefully something that powerd can understand and clock down when it's idle.

Related to that, anyone have any experience of setting disks used in a ZFS array to spin down when idle? Does it work ok or does it make ZFS upset?

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

JamesOff posted:

I'm using a FreeBSD machine as a home server including hosting network storage for my flatmate and me. It's becoming time to upgrade the storage, so we're going to buy a couple of 2TB disks each to chuck in the box, replacing my 4x 250GB RAID5 (attached to a HighPoint HPT374).

I'm really quite interested in using ZFS for it, but the machine itself is a dual P3-1GHz with 768MB of RAM (aww :) ). For all the stuff this box does at home, this is plenty. It's not going to cut it for ZFS though as I don't want to run ZFS on i386 :)

I'm after recommendations for a suitable replacement motherboard and CPU so I can install amd64 and chuck a few GB of RAM in, and then use ZFS for the new disks. The machine is on 24h/day so the lower power the better - hopefully something that powerd can understand and clock down when it's idle.

Related to that, anyone have any experience of setting disks used in a ZFS array to spin down when idle? Does it work ok or does it make ZFS upset?

One of my friends is running something similar and he bought a mini-itx atom board. Low power, and runs his raidz2 just fine. I'll see if I can't get ahold of him today and get the exact model of what he has. I know he said the board + 4 gigs of ram was less than $250

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

JamesOff posted:

What's your budget? I've been very happy with the performance and reliability of this combo, but I realize it's a bit overkill for just a home server:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182145
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116093

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

enotnert posted:

One of my friends is running something similar and he bought a mini-itx atom board. Low power, and runs his raidz2 just fine. I'll see if I can't get ahold of him today and get the exact model of what he has. I know he said the board + 4 gigs of ram was less than $250

I've found older Xeon Dell servers with 4GB and 2-4 HD's for $100 on eBay/CL. The bad thing is the HD's are usually only 73GB or something small. I've been wanting one to play with ZFS on but just haven't bought one yet.

I can't wait until the current Dell servers with the SATA drives hit the used market.

ShizCakes
Jul 16, 2001
BANNED

SmirkingJack posted:

I think you'll be happier with Debian than Ubuntu (Ubuntu is based on Debian, but Debian is cleaner and more 'standard').

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

SmirkingJack posted:

Slackware will make you feel more at home than the fancier distributions. It has most of its stuff in all the old familiar places, and shares that 'unbreakable' feel you get with a good Unix. Very easy to maintain too.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

enotnert posted:

Thanks, would be interested to see what he went with.

SamDabbers posted:

What's your budget? I've been very happy with the performance and reliability of this combo, but I realize it's a bit overkill for just a home server:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182145
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116093

This is along the lines of what I was looking at, although that motherboard is a bit more than I was thinking of. Was talking to my housemate last night about it and we were discussing the option of shunting transcoding jobs onto the server (for things like iPhones/iPods) so our thoughts turned to the c2d too.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

JamesOff posted:

This is along the lines of what I was looking at, although that motherboard is a bit more than I was thinking of. Was talking to my housemate last night about it and we were discussing the option of shunting transcoding jobs onto the server (for things like iPhones/iPods) so our thoughts turned to the c2d too.

I went with that motherboard because a) it has 2 Intel GigE NICs, b) it supports ECC memory, and c) all the hardware is supported in both OpenSolaris and FreeBSD.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Coming from BSD, you'll get an even more twisted view of things by using Ubuntu.

ShizCakes posted:

I think you'll be happier with Debian than Ubuntu (Ubuntu is based on Debian, but Debian is cleaner and more 'standard').

Underflow posted:

Slackware will make you feel more at home than the fancier distributions. It has most of its stuff in all the old familiar places, and shares that 'unbreakable' feel you get with a good Unix. Very easy to maintain too.

Well, I am targeting Ubuntu mostly because of the sheer ubiquity and also because it is the distro I have the most experience with. I've toyed with it off and on since it came out so I'm not completely unfamiliar with it. It's just that my experience is minimal and as a desktop, though I do remember it does something weird with Apache.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

8.1 has been out since 7/20. I've already upgraded a few servers. Don't see any issues so far anyway :)

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

feld posted:

8.1 has been out since 7/20. I've already upgraded a few servers. Don't see any issues so far anyway :)

Anyone got tips for upgrading to 8.1 from 8.0, with a custom kernel?

code:

WARNING: This system is running a "hydra" kernel, which is not a
kernel configuration distributed as part of FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE.
This kernel will not be updated: you MUST update the kernel manually
before running "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install".

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
src/base src/bin src/cddl src/contrib src/crypto src/etc src/games
src/gnu src/include src/krb5 src/lib src/libexec src/release src/rescue
src/sbin src/secure src/share src/sys src/tools src/ubin src/usbin
world/base world/catpages world/dict world/doc world/games world/info
world/lib32 world/manpages world/proflibs

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
kernel/generic

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
`freebsd-update` can only update from RELEASE kernels. Use the traditional compiled method, which is in the handbook. We've updated several boxes at work, no issues as usual. In short:

code:
csup stable-supfile
cd /usr/src
make clean
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
mergemaster -p
make installworld
mergemaster -U
reboot

falz fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 23, 2010

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Welp, xorg still doesn't work. I can startx, and get the GUI with the three xterms, but it's frozen at that point. Nvidia :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Setup an old laptop to basically use as a fancy shell account for IRC and whatnot.

bash-4.0$ sysctl | grep physmem
hw.physmem=133787648
bash-4.0$ sysctl | grep cpu
kern.ccpu=1948
hw.ncpu=1
hw.cpuspeed=267
hw.ncpufound=1
machdep.cpuvendor=GenuineIntel

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/wd0a 878M 39.4M 794M 5% /
/dev/wd0e 391M 2.9M 368M 1% /home
/dev/wd0d 2.3G 475M 1.7G 22% /usr

Almost a 4GB HD, 128MB, 266MHz Pentium II :D

I had FreeBSD 7.2 running on it, but a bunch of weird errors started happening. Installed OpenBSD 4.7 in about 25 minutes. It's actually not that slow! Not sure if I would try building anything big on it, but I probably don't have the diskspace anyway.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 23, 2010

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

LooseChanj posted:

Welp, xorg still doesn't work. I can startx, and get the GUI with the three xterms, but it's frozen at that point. Nvidia :argh:

Are you using the nv driver, or nvidia (from the nvidia-driver port)?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

jandrese posted:

Are you using the nv driver, or nvidia (from the nvidia-driver port)?

I've tried nv, and d/l'ed the driver from nvidia. Forgot to mention I'm using freebsd 8.1 (amd64), and a geforce 9500 GT. Also, I can ctrl-c to kill it from the console.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

As soon as the nvidia driver stabilizes I plan on moving my desktop at home and work to FreeBSD. Until then I have to wait :(

greenskeleton
Apr 5, 2003
I ran FreeBSD 7 on my desktop a few years and had no problems with it. I'm not sure how LooseChanj downloaded it from Nvidia, but installing from the ports tree worked and was pretty straight forward.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
The driver in Ports (195.36.15) is unfortunately much older than the version on nvidia.com (256.35).

The 256.xx amd64 drivers are actually the first nvidia drivers that have given me zero trouble and weeks of uptime.

greenskeleton
Apr 5, 2003
Ahh, I had no problems with the x86 drivers. I see you're talking about the newer amd64 driver.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

greenskeleton posted:

Ahh, I had no problems with the x86 drivers. I see you're talking about the newer amd64 driver.

Now that you mention it, I even tried installing the x86 version (of fbsd) and had the same problems.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Yeah, I need the amd64 driver as well. It seems Nvidia's been slacking for *nix lately.... even the Linux drivers aren't up to par anymore.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

After power outages, my FreeBSD system doesn't recognize my PS/2 keyboard through a KVM if it wasn't currently focused on the FreeBSD system - which is almost always.

Is there a way after boot to tell it to accept keyboard input? I don't mind issuing commands via SSH, but right now the only way I can get it to recognize the keyboard is to reboot.

Bonus points if I can get it to recognize the keyboard as soon as the KVM switches to the BSD machine. I thought that's what KVMs were for.

FreeBSD 4.8.4 on an old Celeron 300A system

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Holy crap, that is an old version of FreeBSD. The command you want is kbdcontrol, but I don't know if it existed back in the 4.x series.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

porkface posted:

Bonus points if I can get it to recognize the keyboard as soon as the KVM switches to the BSD machine. I thought that's what KVMs were for.

Not sure if that's a software issue. I have had servers that if you didn't have the KVM on, and active, when the system went through the BIOS it wouldn't recognize the keyboard until you rebooted. It would also gently caress up the keyboard repeat rate and stuff after you switched to another port.

It was a Belkin 'intelligent' KVM that was supposed to fix that issue. Bah.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

jandrese posted:

Holy crap, that is an old version of FreeBSD. The command you want is kbdcontrol, but I don't know if it existed back in the 4.x series.

It's there, but there are no keyboard entries in /dev. There is atkbdc0 referenced in dmesg but no device node to use for kbdcontrol.

I tried adding device nodes for several types of keyboard drivers but I don't really know what I'm doing there and got "no such file or directory" messages trying to use mknod.

Any ideas?

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Only Shallow posted:

http://cooltrainer.org/projects/freebsd-kirkwood/

Let me know if I missed anything :)

Well, I gave it a shot but I think something went wrong. When I rebooted it was blinking orange/amber/yellow/ so I rebooted it again and it started blinking green, and I couldn't ping or ssh into it. I could bring up the dockstar webpage, but couldn't change any of the network/security settings. I rebooted it again, and it's back to blinking orange.

[Edit: After a while it stops blinking orange and starts blinking green, and I see activity on the switch, but I still can't ping or SSH]
[Edit 2: Actually, every time I reboot it it blinks green, then orange, then green again]

This is what I did...

Imaging the USB drive:
code:
Macbook:~ smirkingjack$ dd if=/Users/smirkingjack/Downloads/USB.img of=/dev/disk1
3915776+0 records in
3915776+0 records out
2004877312 bytes transferred in 651.820964 secs (3075810 bytes/sec)
SSH'd into the Dockstar:
code:
-bash-3.2# mount -o rw,remount /
-bash-3.2# cd /usr/local/cloudengines/bin
-bash-3.2# wget [url]http://update.cooltrainer.org/freebsd-kirkwood/utils/blparam[/url]
Connecting to update.cooltrainer.org (208.113.212.55:80)
wget: can't open 'blparam': File exists
-bash-3.2# mv blparam blparam.original
-bash-3.2# wget ]http://update.cooltrainer.org/freebsd-kirkwood/utils/blparam
blparam              100% |**********************************************************************************************************************************| 14168  --:--:-- ETA
-bash-3.2# chmod 0775 ./blparam
-bash-3.2# cd /tmp
-bash-3.2# wget [url]http://update.cooltrainer.org/freebsd-kirkwood/distribution/8.1-RC2/DOCKSTAR.bin.page[/url]
DOCKSTAR.bin.page    100% |**********************************************************************************************************************************|  3244k 00:00:00 ETA
-bash-3.2# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3 > /dev/null 2>&1
-bash-3.2# nandwrite /dev/mtd3 DOCKSTAR.bin.page > /dev/null 2>&1
-bash-3.2# cd /usr/local/cloudengines/bin
-bash-3.2# ./blparam 'bootcmd_original=nand read.e 0x800000 0x100000 0x300000; setenv bootargs         
> $(console) $(bootargs_root); bootm 0x800000' > /dev/null 2>&1
-bash-3.2# ./blparam "bootcmd_usb=nand read.e 900000 0x2500000 0x32B000; go 900000" > /dev/null 2>&1
-bash-3.2# ./blparam "bootcmd1=setenv bootcmd run bootcmd2; saveenv; run bootcmd_usb" > /dev/null 2>&1
-bash-3.2# ./blparam "bootcmd2=setenv bootcmd run bootcmd1; saveenv; run bootcmd_original" > /dev/null 2>&1
-bash-3.2# ./blparam "bootcmd=run bootcmd1" > /dev/null 2>&1
Any thoughts?

SmirkingJack fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 26, 2010

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

SmirkingJack posted:

Any thoughts?

In my experience, the LED blinks amber when it's in Linux and you have the UFS drive inserted. I don't think it can read it, but it's trying to.

It blinks green when booted to FreeBSD just as a side-effect of not knowing what to do with it. I suggest a piece of electrical tape :)

Everything else looks like it's supposed to. You may want to try 8.1-RELEASE which I will upload some time in the next couple of days. After using it myself for a couple weeks I've fixed a few things that are just broken in the copy you have, like Samba, Python, and BIND in the base system.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Only Shallow posted:

In my experience, the LED blinks amber when it's in Linux and you have the UFS drive inserted. I don't think it can read it, but it's trying to.

It blinks green when booted to FreeBSD just as a side-effect of not knowing what to do with it. I suggest a piece of electrical tape :)

Everything else looks like it's supposed to. You may want to try 8.1-RELEASE which I will upload some time in the next couple of days. After using it myself for a couple weeks I've fixed a few things that are just broken in the copy you have, like Samba, Python, and BIND in the base system.

The problem is that I can't SSH into it :(

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
If anybody's interested, it would seem my problem with xorg and FreeBSD was as simply as adding "hald_enable" and "dbus_enable" to rc.conf. Without those lines, neither the mouse nor keyboard would work in X, giving it the appearance of having locked up. This is more of an fbsd retardedness about not setting these sorts of simple prerequisites I think than strictly an X problem. (Since as it turns out the nvidia drivers were working perfectly all along.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

If anybody's interested, it would seem my problem with xorg and FreeBSD was as simply as adding "hald_enable" and "dbus_enable" to rc.conf.

That is literally the first thing they say in the handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/x-config.html

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bob Morales posted:

That is literally the first thing they say in the handbook

Not quite, but I still feel retarded thanks. :suicide:

And it still doesn't excuse not doing that automatically.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Not quite, but I still feel retarded thanks. :suicide:

And it still doesn't excuse not doing that automatically.

Don't feel too retarded. It's been that way since the 7.something days, so if you're new to FreeBSD, you'll wonder what the hell is going on the first time you type 'startx'. It's not like you have to do it in OpenBSD or anything.

I don't remember exactly why, but they don't do it automatically for a reason. However, it is done (obviously) if you install X to run out of the box.

There are ways to get around using hald/dbus:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=3935

hald can be very annoying with certain hardware situation :argh:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bob Morales posted:

I don't remember exactly why, but they don't do it automatically for a reason. However, it is done (obviously) if you install X to run out of the box.

In my case, it wasn't done when I installed X. And the problem I had was thinking X just hung when I started it. It wasn't until I thought hey, let's install a window manager and see what happens and bam...KDE went all the way.

What really gets me is that google didn't help.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

In my case, it wasn't done when I installed X. And the problem I had was thinking X just hung when I started it. It wasn't until I thought hey, let's install a window manager and see what happens and bam...KDE went all the way.

Then you installed from packages, not from the FreeBSD installer right?

quote:

What really gets me is that google didn't help.

Very first Google result for 'FreeBSD mouse keyboard frozen'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bob Morales posted:

Then you installed from packages, not from the FreeBSD installer right?

Pretty sure I installed from the installer, not packages afterwards. Actually, I probably did it both ways.

Bob Morales posted:

Very first Google result for 'FreeBSD mouse keyboard frozen'

That wasn't there last month! (Wasn't on google, and I was searching for xorg problems anyway.)

• Locked thread