Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

HulkaMatt posted:

Abyss is a retard though.

Well, that pretty much answers my question. Essentially, it seems to boil down to "because it's TNA" as usual. I was hoping Janice was some woman, hung above the ring, waiting to be rescued. TNA disappoints me again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

apsouthern posted:

Well, that pretty much answers my question. Essentially, it seems to boil down to "because it's TNA" as usual. I was hoping Janice was some woman, hung above the ring, waiting to be rescued. TNA disappoints me again...

I had kind of assumed that TNA was following wrestlings time honoured tradition of throwing money at out of date celebrity appearences, and it was Janice from friends.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

SiKboy posted:

I had kind of assumed that TNA was following wrestlings time honoured tradition of throwing money at out of date celebrity appearences, and it was Janice from friends.

Makes sense. I mean, they aren't going to be able to get Joey Styles.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Is there a recap of the Dixie shoot anywhere yet? I don't want to have to either sit through it or pay for it, I'd rather just read what she said.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Did new jack ever have a 5 star match? I just watched a match he had on TNN with one of Da Baldies but (like all his matches seem to be) its a squash

If not what is his best match?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Manwithastick posted:

Did new jack ever have a 5 star match? I just watched a match he had on TNN with one of Da Baldies but (like all his matches seem to be) its a squash

There is only a handful of people who ever had five star matches (according to Meltzer) and 90% of them are Japanese. If a five star match is the sun, New Jack is Pluto.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

George Kaplan posted:

Yes, but "Barbie" for a barbed wire bat is a contraction of the object's real name, whereas "Janice" is my sister's name and is being used for no reason, so this match is thoroughly confusing to me.

Janice is Dixie's mother's name.

Manwithastick posted:

Did new jack ever have a 5 star match?

You're either trolling or you have no idea what a 5 star match looks like. Either way, no.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Apologises, let me rephrase my question - "Has New Jack ever had a decent non-squash match?"

I've always taken 5 star to mean "excellent match" - apologises for the confusion

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Manwithastick posted:

Apologises, let me rephrase my question - "Has New Jack ever had a decent non-squash match?"

I've always taken 5 star to mean "excellent match" - apologises for the confusion

Five star means the match was effectively perfect. Please also note that there is only one guy in the entire industry who is an accepted authority to bestow "official" match ratings--which should tell you a lot about wrestling right there.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Five star means the match was effectively perfect. Please also note that there is only one guy in the entire industry who is an accepted authority to bestow "official" match ratings--which should tell you a lot about wrestling right there.

And he still overrates clusterfuck ladder matches.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm watching one of the newer Botchamanias (number 132, for reference), and it got me thinking.

Was there any one person/group/act more universally reviled and hated by the fans than ECW era Dudley Boyz, Bubba Ray in particular? I mean, even NWO and the Horsemen had their fans. It just looks like loving everybody hated the Dudleyz in the mid-90s.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
The only wrestler to even get close to that kind of heat in this century is John Cena at the second One Night Stand.

Otherwise, in North America you'd have to look all the way back to the days when Ox Baker started a riot in Cleveland by repeatedly heart punching Ernie Ladd.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

HulkaMatt posted:

Janice is a 2x4 with a ton of nails embedded in it. I'm guessing he gave it a name because Foley gave his Barbed Wire Bat a name in 2004.

Better names:

Plank.
Woody Harrelson.
Nailz.
Duggan.

Hire me, TNA.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Happy Happyist posted:

Plank.

Jonny would sue.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Guys I am begging to think that TNA isn't very good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Happy Happyist posted:

Better names:

Plank.
Woody Harrelson.
Nailz.
Duggan.

Hire me, TNA.
Nailah.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They should make the match a triple threat and change it so that you have to get the weapon and use it to somebody before you're eligible to win and when you hit somebody with it, they have to sit in a tiny cage for 5 minutes.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

sportsgenius86 posted:

They should make the match a triple threat and change it so that you have to get the weapon and use it to somebody before you're eligible to win and when you hit somebody with it, they have to sit in a tiny cage for 5 minutes.

I would watch that if you added an obstacle course to it somewhere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Burrito posted:

I would watch that if you added an obstacle course to it somewhere.
You can escape the cage only if you complete the obstacle course from the end of Double Dare 2000.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I think they should also have to put together the Silver Monkey. I wonder if wrestlers are smarter or dumber then stupid 13 year olds.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Someone should dump green slime on the audience every time they start a chant. No, wait even if they don't start a chant.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Endorph posted:

You can escape the cage only if you complete the obstacle course from the end of Double Dare 2000.

Now you have me wondering how many active wrestlers could make it up the slide covered in pudding/frosting/etc.

Thanks for that. :(

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Manwithastick posted:

New Jack is one of my favorite wrestlers ever and the answer is "not really." Unless you consider complete clusterfuck, borderline comedy hardcore matches decent. Which I do.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

I'm watching one of the newer Botchamanias (number 132, for reference), and it got me thinking.

Was there any one person/group/act more universally reviled and hated by the fans than ECW era Dudley Boyz, Bubba Ray in particular? I mean, even NWO and the Horsemen had their fans. It just looks like loving everybody hated the Dudleyz in the mid-90s.

Live crowds hated the Dudleys. They were pretty beloved at the time on the internet, in large part because they were getting those kinds of reactions. People were pissed when they signed with WWF, since it meant Bubba wouldn't be able to talk about mother/daughter cocksucker teams anymore.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

MrBling posted:

I can't be the only one that remembers that show and sees the resemblance.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Hockles posted:

Well I can't UNSEE it now.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Hockles posted:

Now I know Linda Hamilton has strong features, but to say th-- oh. OH!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

HulkaMatt posted:

Jonny would sue.

No lawyers in the cul de sac.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Manwithastick posted:

Didn't the Eliminators vs Gangstas cage match get over **** ?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Reading about Spike being impressed with Paul Heyman has made me think - if Paul Heyman were to step in to TNA TODAY as head of creative (so no more russo) would it make a difference or is TNA too far gone at this point?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Manwithastick posted:

Reading about Spike being impressed with Paul Heyman has made me think - if Paul Heyman were to step in to TNA TODAY as head of creative (so no more russo) would it make a difference or is TNA too far gone at this point?

I think yeah, but it'd depend on him having full access to creative\hiring and firing. If he could ignore the politics and chop Dixie's favourites and anyone else he didn't like the look of.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

New Jack is one of my favorite wrestlers ever and the answer is "not really." Unless you consider complete clusterfuck, borderline comedy hardcore matches decent. Which I do.
When I was younger I bought some "best of" VHS tapes. I got a "Best of Cactus Jack in ECW", "Best of Fire Death Matches" and the last choice was "Best of New Jack" or "Best of Hyabusa"...I was in like sophomore year of highschool. I don't even have a VCR that works anymore and I regret it. And I like New Jack, but I still regret that choice,

So..Aj Styles and Michelle McCool? Is it just me or do they both seem like really weak choices for the top wrestlers?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Manwithastick posted:

Where did you read about Spike being impressed with Heyman? I wanna' see this!

And yes. It would make a difference. It just wouldn't be immediate. I'd imagine the internet could pull a .1 difference upon hearing about his first show and that's about it. Once there was a real direction and a guy who actually knows how to get people over, most of the other problems with the company wouldn't matter so much.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Where did you read about Spike being impressed with Heyman? I wanna' see this!

Spike TV officials were very impressed with Paul Heyman after their recent conference call together. Heyman’s future with TNA is still up in the air but Spike executives at the recent iMPACT tapings talked about how they would like to see Heyman have creative control of the company.

Heyman continues to tell people that he can’t join TNA unless they are willing to make the major changes that are needed and if he gets the power needed to make those changes. Heyman is saying right now that he’s going forward with the idea that nothing is going to come of his talks with TNA.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/tna/spike-impressed-with-paul-heyman-aaa-tnas-relationship-more.html

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Manwithastick posted:

Spike TV officials were very impressed with Paul Heyman after their recent conference call together. Heyman’s future with TNA is still up in the air but Spike executives at the recent iMPACT tapings talked about how they would like to see Heyman have creative control of the company.

Heyman continues to tell people that he can’t join TNA unless they are willing to make the major changes that are needed and if he gets the power needed to make those changes. Heyman is saying right now that he’s going forward with the idea that nothing is going to come of his talks with TNA.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/tna/spike-impressed-with-paul-heyman-aaa-tnas-relationship-more.html
The source for this is listed as the Wrestling Observer. Everybody should already know this, but I've had a subscription to the newsletter for four months now and nearly every report on the internet is re-worded and exaggerated to the point that the original story is lost almost entirely.

I made a remark about this on this very board the day this issue came out a few weeks back. Dave noted that Heyman had a conference call with Spike. He didn't say what it was about and he didn't say how anybody felt about it. They could've been meeting about Brock Lesnar for all we know. From that came this re-write from Lords of Pain.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So are Hogan and Bischoff even in TNA anymore? I don't watch it but there was a huge deal about them coming in and changing it all around. Why talk to Heyman about creative control?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Two posts up, I should clarify, I was wrong. Dave had more to say about it in this week's newsletter, but again, compare what was reported up top to what was actually written. The real details are poo poo. Here's the quote:

Wrestling Observer posted:

Those on the Spike side were apparently very impressed with Paul Heyman when they did their conference with him. Where it goes from here is anyone’s guess. Nothing is likely to happen from the Spike side since the TV industry judges you on your last ratings and last week’s numbers were good, particularly going against the premiere of “Jersey Shore.” But there was definitely talk at the last tapings by executives at Spike that they would like to see Heyman in control of creative an Spike is what is keeping TNA afloat right now. The second hour of the show against “Jersey Shore” did better than the first hour, not against “Jersey Shore,” seemingly indicating that show had no statistically measurable effect on TNA viewership, but it looks good when you have such a publicized show head-to-head and still do the best ratings since February. Heyman continues to tell friends that he can’t go in unless the company is willing to make the major changes needed and he’s got the power to implement the changes and is saying he’s right now proceeding with the idea that nothing is going to come of this. Tommy Dreamer made it clear he’s asked Heyman to come in for the show, but the betting line was strongly against that happening. From a Heyman strategic standpoint, doing the show would seem to make no sense. “I have spoken to Paul, and there is an invitation out there. I would love for him to be there, but I understand if he’s not,” said Dreamer on the Monday Night Mayhem radio show. “He’s also doing stuff for Brock Lesnar. Paul is Paul, and if he does come in, I think he could definitely help. If he doesn’t, the business moves on without him. He’s very, very talented, and I think it would be cool to get people to drink his Kool-Aid again. If he does come to terms, I think it would be a good deal for Paul, and hopefully it would be a good deal for TNA as well.” .

Every single one of you should still subscribe to F4W if only to prevent bullshit like this. LordsOfPain and Rajah and the like have to re-word Meltz's reports to stay legal and they often, not being journalists, project their own feelings and hopes onto the article or just plain lie to get more viewers. Don't read any news compilation site. There are only three wrestling journalists with even the tiniest bit of credibility and two of them are at F4Wonline.com.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Von Linus posted:

I think yeah, but it'd depend on him having full access to creative\hiring and firing. If he could ignore the politics and chop Dixie's favourites and anyone else he didn't like the look of.

Pretty much. Bringing in a new booker means nothing, they need someone to come in and have full control. The problem is that will probably never happen unless someone above Dixie forces her to, and if she's forced too it may wind up with her arguing every change and Heyman (or anyone) getting fed up and leaving.

LividLiquid posted:

Every single one of you should still subscribe to F4W if only to prevent bullshit like this. LordsOfPain and Rajah and the like have to re-word Meltz's reports to stay legal and they often, not being journalists, project their own feelings and hopes onto the article or just plain lie to get more viewers. Don't read any news compilation site. There are only three wrestling journalists with even the tiniest bit of credibility and two of them are at F4Wonline.com.

Agreed, people should never quote any copy-paste sites because it just means one of us has to waste time finding the actual story.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Tommy Dreamer posted:

I think it would be cool to get people to drink his Kool-Aid again.

That sounds so creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

LividLiquid posted:

Two posts up, I should clarify, I was wrong. Dave had more to say about it in this week's newsletter, but again, compare what was reported up top to what was actually written. The real details are poo poo. Here's the quote:

I agree that everyone should subscribe to WO and always go to the source, but what real difference is there in those two stories? Dave said Spike execs were really impressed with their conference call with Heyman recently. He then said that at the last tapings Spike execs were saying they'd like to see Heyman in charge of creative. He then went on about how Heyman thinks it's not going to happen with TNA. That's exactly the LOP report said. Copy/paste sites can suck and really blow stuff out of proportion a lot of times, but in this case, as far as I can see, it's pretty much just condensed, but accurate.