Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Alaemon posted:

Well, *I* didn't. And neither did the locals, actually -- he wasn't arrested until months later. He was merely handcuffed during the execution of the search warrant and not free to leave ("for officer safety").

I'm rusty on crim pro, but won't that count as a de facto arrest? I don't see any exceptions to the warrant requirement in play here, making any statements the fruit of an illegal seizure, regardless of Miranda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SWATJester posted:

I'm rusty on crim pro, but won't that count as a de facto arrest? I don't see any exceptions to the warrant requirement in play here, making any statements the fruit of an illegal seizure, regardless of Miranda.

He was "investigatorially detained"
And he struck up the conversation with the cops; since he "voluntarily initiated" the conversation, they didn't need to Mirandize him.

Abugadu posted:

it may be a sign that you aren't reviewing your own work carefully when you hand a judge a set of jury instructions for Official Misconduct as a misdemeanor that include provisions for the death penalty.

The judge asked him where he got it from, and he said from the JI's of the previous law clerk (which he did not). The judge called him on it, then reamed him.

1. Humorous mistakes like this are good for morale and give you an opportunity to show how well you can take being given a full ration of well deserved poo poo for your error. If it happened once and wasn't repeated, the overall effect toward future employment would be positive.
2. Throwing someone else under the bus + lying = You're done. Getthefuckout.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 5, 2010

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

joat mon posted:

He was "investigatorially detained"
And he struck up the conversation with the cops; since he "voluntarily initiated" the conversation, they didn't need to Mirandize him.

No he didn't.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
http://consumerist.com/2010/08/for-profit-colleges-caught-on-video-encouraging-financial-aid-fraud.html

Somebody please start sending these investigators to law schools.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Got an interview with a state SC justice in September...if you disagree vehemently with every opinion you've ever read from a judge, should you:

(A) just swallow that poo poo and pretend you love every word he's ever written and be the biggest bootlicking toady you can be;

(B) give an honest and well-reasoned statement about why you disagree if he asks;

(C) just tell the unvarnished truth and hope he respects your "moxie"; OR

(D) skip the interview and sit at home with a bottle of Scotch?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

J Miracle posted:

Got an interview with a state SC justice in September...if you disagree vehemently with every opinion you've ever read from a judge, should you:

Research what he's like by asking people who would know, as different judges may prefer different things - he may want a 'devils advocate' clerk, or may be utterly uninterested in anyone who doesn't agree with him.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Closing in on my first day on the job as a real employee... :3:

J Miracle posted:

(A) just swallow that poo poo and pretend you love every word he's ever written and be the biggest bootlicking toady you can be;

(B) give an honest and well-reasoned statement about why you disagree if he asks;

(B); (C) sounds crass and aggressive, which is inappropriate. Just pretend he is a monarch of a small kingdom, and moderate your language accordingly. Definitey don't be the deceptive toady in (A) though, and (D) is not going to help anybody.

evilweasel posted:

Research what he's like by asking people who would know, as different judges may prefer different things - he may want a 'devils advocate' clerk, or may be utterly uninterested in anyone who doesn't agree with him.

Even if he's not interested in people who disgree with him, remember that he asked. If you're going to be a good subject/clerk, you should be honest with him. Just moderate your language so that it does not offend, and act polite about the whole matter.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Alaemon posted:

Erstwhile Police Officer...
Defendant in handcuffs and no intention of letting him leave...
A) Strike up a conversation about illegal activities?

joat mon posted:

And Defendant struck up the conversation with the cops; since he "voluntarily initiated" the conversation, they didn't need to Mirandize him.

Alaemon posted:

No he didn't.

I'll take dumb and honest over smart and crooked any day.
Buy the cop a beer and give him a hint.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 5, 2010

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
If all y'all aren't following the Prop 8 thread in D&D WhiskeyJuvenile is basically drooling over the coming Kozinski decision for the appeals court on the matter.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Isn't constitutional review De Novo? If so this decision has about as much precedential value as if I wrote it. (I'm also terrified of what is going to happen in the 9th circuit).

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Kozinski is more form than substance :colbert: But regardless, this is too important a case for Kozinski to employ any of his trademark wit or flourishes - if he writes the opinion (instead of another of the twenty-odd judges on the Ninth), I'm betting that he keeps it staid.

billion dollar bitch fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 5, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JudicialRestraints posted:

Isn't constitutional review De Novo? If so this decision has about as much precedential value as if I wrote it. (I'm also terrified of what is going to happen in the 9th circuit).

Not for facts, which is why the district court decided to find basically 100 pages of facts.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Also why would anyone be terrified of what happens in the Ninth Circuit? It's not like it's not going to be appealed to SCOTUS; you should be terrified of what happens there.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

J Miracle posted:

Two of my friends, who are both very liberal, were MN Supreme Court clerks for a rather conservative justice. It'll obviously depend on the judge, but I don't think they need or necessarily want people who agree with them on every point; I'd guess B is your best bet. I can check with one of my friends in the next couple days and see what his input is.

And I know it's a job when many have no jobs and are dying alone (myself included), but do you want to work closely with a judge who would only hire a bootlicking toady?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

billion dollar bitch posted:

Kozinski is more form than substance :colbert: But regardless, this is too important a case for Kozinski to employ any of his trademark wit or flourishes - if he writes the opinion (instead of another of the twenty-odd judges on the Ninth), I'm betting that he keeps it staid.

It's not wit or flourishes alone; he happens to also be a really good jurist in general.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
This is a very good article by him.

http://notabug.com/kozinski/mootcourt

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A few months ago, I started a small firm with an LL.M. colleague. One of our target client groups is the same-sex community. Basically, if same-sex marriage is legalized, we will be well positioned to provide excellent estate and tax planning services. If same-sex marriage is found not to violate the federal constitution, we will continue to provide specialized estate and tax planning services which make use of the tax code in ways that only same-sex couples can use.

Either way, we win!

(It's a pretty happy office today, given yesterday's ruling. My favorite version of the headline: "Federal court rules homophobia irrational." )

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
And here is a more controversial book review that he's done:

http://notabug.com/kozinski/gorewars

Here, he praises a statistician who says that anthropogenic global warming is not happening.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Lomborg's position has never been contra AGW, he just thinks that the potential effects have been exaggerated and the costs of prevention are so high that we're better off spending our money on things like drinking water, education, disease prevention, etc

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

FTFA posted:

Emily Bazelon, a senior editor at Slate who knew Friedan (their grandmothers were cousins), had an idea. "Men could wake up and retrain themselves-they could become teachers and nurses," she said tartly.

That's a "let them eat cake!" statement if I've ever heard one. It's not like the teacher market is doing all that well what with all the local government budgetary issues. And if all the unemployed men switch to nursing right now, by the time they graduate and get certified the market for that would be tight also.

NoodleBaby
Jul 11, 2010

J Miracle posted:

Why would you consider anything except (B) or (C)? Faking it in an interview rarely works, first of all, and even if it does work you will get "caught" when you start the job.

Out of curiosity, why did you apply for a position with a judge with opinions so contrary to your own?

Although as somebody else said, there are judges who specifically hire clerks with opposite opinions of their own, which I think is cool.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gvibes posted:

So looks like I'm doing OCI for my firm this year. How do you suggest terrorizing the poor saps we aren't offering jobs to?

Oh, I thought of something else for you gvibes: work in the "stairs" question in every interview somehow. This would have the dual benefit of 1) presenting a challenge to not come across as a weirdo and yet still ask the question and 2) identifying goon applicants.

I am serious, you should do this. I would do it if I were conducting OCI interviews.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

NoodleBaby posted:

Out of curiosity, why did you apply for a position with a judge with opinions so contrary to your own?

Is it a job?

If yes, goto Apply();

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

NoodleBaby posted:

Why would you consider anything except (B) or (C)? Faking it in an interview rarely works, first of all, and even if it does work you will get "caught" when you start the job.

Although as somebody else said, there are judges who specifically hire clerks with opposite opinions of their own, which I think is cool.

I applied to every Justice of our Supreme Court, since they don't tell you which ones are hiring they just have a little blurb on the site about how to send packets.

tbh I don't really care too much if a judge has opinions contrary to my own as long as I can do honest work for him. Now if he were to come up to me and say "find me a way to make this plaintiff lose because I hate tort plaintiffs and love insurance companies" or "find me a way to deny this guy his disability" or something I might have a problem. But I doubt that'll happen.

Plus I figure, looking at my resume, that he must want someone with different opinions since I (1) used to work for an agency that assisted people in obtaining welfare, food stamps, disability, and subsidized housing; (2) did an appellate defense clinic for the public defender's office; (3) am president of an animal law group; and (4) currently work as a clerk for a plaintiff personal injury attorney.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

J Miracle posted:

(3) am president of an animal law group

Please tell me that 100% of your efforts are dedicated to the argument "Hey man birds are people too."

Or that the framers intended animals to have rights because bears have the right to arms.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

BigHead posted:

Please tell me that 100% of your efforts are dedicated to the argument "Hey man birds are people too."

Or that the framers intended animals to have rights because bears have the right to arms.

well I try but bird law in this country is very complex and not based on logic.

Yojimbo Sancho
Feb 1, 2007
I have no idea either...

J Miracle posted:

well I try but bird law in this country is very complex and not based on logic.

And I'll take that advice into cooperation, alright? Now what say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird-law and see how comes out the victor?

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Yojimbo Sancho posted:

And I'll take that advice into cooperation, alright? Now what say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird-law and see how comes out the victor?

It seems like you have a tenuous grasp of the English language in general.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

If you give me a job I will come to guam.
I am competent.

Are you interested in doing Child Support enforcement?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Abugadu posted:

Are you interested in doing Child Support enforcement?

Can I wear a gun?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

entris posted:

Oh, I thought of something else for you gvibes: work in the "stairs" question in every interview somehow. This would have the dual benefit of 1) presenting a challenge to not come across as a weirdo and yet still ask the question and 2) identifying goon applicants.

I am serious, you should do this. I would do it if I were conducting OCI interviews.
If someone asks me the stairs question I generally put on a poker face, that masonic poo poo is lame as hell

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Elotana posted:

If someone asks me the stairs question I generally put on a poker face, that masonic poo poo is lame as hell

Hey, you did the stairs motion from across the room before we met.

In response, I flipped you off then blew you a kiss.

Success!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I'm pretty sure we already knew who the other was from facebook

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Elotana posted:

I'm pretty sure we already knew who the other was from facebook

Doesn't count until the balls touch hands shake.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Can I wear a gun?

Don't see why not.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

Hey, you did the stairs motion from across the room before we met.

In response, I flipped you off then blew you a kiss.

Success!
There's a motion?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Defenestration posted:

There's a motion?

Comedy answer: There's always a motion.

Serious answer: Hold your hand vertically. Raise it a bit. Then turn it horizontal. Move it to the side a bit. Repeat. Stairs!

Honestly though when I meet goons if I get the stairs question it gets interrupted with "Don't do that."

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Abugadu posted:

Don't see why not.

Send me an application. I will share it with Yojimbo, Thoras and Absentia

Daico
Aug 17, 2006
The first amendment can burn in the eighth loving circle of hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Daico posted:

The first amendment can burn in the eighth loving circle of hell.

What it's easy just figure out if a reg is content-based or content-neutral, if its a viewpoint reg; time place and manner restriction, protected or unprotected speech, level of scrutiny and you're done! Possibly apply specific tests for commercial speech, fighting words, obscenity, incitement, and probably some other poo poo I'm forgetting. Remember that nonverbal poo poo can be speech unless its conduct. Also some poo poo about strip clubs.

For religion just apply one of 8 or so different Supreme Court tests for Establishment Clause and for Exercise just follow that peyote case unless you're dealing with the Amish then they can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Oh yeah and for free speech apply a whole different set of poo poo if it takes place in a school.

What could be simpler?

EDIT: Also poo poo about forums being traditional public or non-public or limited-purpose or whatever the gently caress