Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

I said come in! posted:

My uneducated, usually wrong predication is that for $200 you'll be able to get the current model (8gb maybe), and for $300 (starting at 16gb and going up from there) you'll be able to get the brand new design.

Isn't the price range usually $200 for 16, $300 for 32 and $400 for 64 now? I mean 8's ceased to exist in the 3rd gen and my 32 2nd gen was a little under $400 back when the structure was 8/16/32.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I wanted at least 32 gigs, I was looking into 64, I'm going to take a look at what new gizmos the iPhone got, might not be worth the time and money to wait.

Edit: Seems like I'm going to wait, looks like most of the upgrades are worth waiting for, especially that camera :monocle:

Mrens fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 3, 2010

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I said come in! posted:

My uneducated, usually wrong predication is that for $200 you'll be able to get the current model (8gb maybe), and for $300 (starting at 16gb and going up from there) you'll be able to get the brand new design.

Apple should be putting the 8 GB 2nd gen to rest this September. It won't receive any more OS updates after 4.0. Maybe an 8 GB model based off of the 3rd gen hardware.

The actual 4th gens should be at $299 and $399 for 32 and 64 GB respectively. There were a lot of people buying the $199 model for the last cycle but there were more than I expected for the 32 GB model.

Crotch Bat posted:

Isn't the price range usually $200 for 16, $300 for 32 and $400 for 64 now? I mean 8's ceased to exist in the 3rd gen and my 32 2nd gen was a little under $400 back when the structure was 8/16/32.

The 8 GB did not exist for the third gen but Apple sold the 8 GB second gen model at $199 for the third gen cycle. The actual third gens were $299 and $399 for 32 and 64 GB respectively.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I looked through the past 3 pages and didn't see it brought up, if I happen to have skimmed over it somehow my bad.

Wifi with my ipod touch has never been an issue, but for the past couple of days it's been acting strange. The ipod would say that I'm connected to the internet and all that, but when I actually try to use anything internet related it says there is no connection. As you can see from me typing this is a lie!

If it helps, I'm using a 3rd gen with the 4.0 iOS. I have a WEP connection.

fake edit: I just tried having it connect to a separate, unsecure connection to just to see if it would work and it didn't.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Mine does that on 3.whatever sometimes, the solution is usually unplugging the router for a minute and plugging it back in again.

Seriously. :doh:

The other connection sort of complicates the situation, but that just might be screwed up on its own.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Metroixer posted:

I looked through the past 3 pages and didn't see it brought up, if I happen to have skimmed over it somehow my bad.

Wifi with my ipod touch has never been an issue, but for the past couple of days it's been acting strange. The ipod would say that I'm connected to the internet and all that, but when I actually try to use anything internet related it says there is no connection. As you can see from me typing this is a lie!

If it helps, I'm using a 3rd gen with the 4.0 iOS. I have a WEP connection.

fake edit: I just tried having it connect to a separate, unsecure connection to just to see if it would work and it didn't.

Your ipod is connected to your router, which is why you have wifi bars. However your router is not connected to the internet, or is interfering with the ipod connecting through it in some way.

Do you have a laptop on wifi? Can it connect properly?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So apparently Apple makes the crappiest headphones ever because mine crapped out after a few weeks of using them while exercising (songs will stop and fastforward on their own, the controls won't work, Voice Control will activate by itself).
I know this probably isn't the thread to do it, but would any of you guys recommend headphones that resist heavy usage?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Calaveron posted:

So apparently Apple makes the crappiest headphones ever because mine crapped out after a few weeks of using them while exercising (songs will stop and fastforward on their own, the controls won't work, Voice Control will activate by itself).
I know this probably isn't the thread to do it, but would any of you guys recommend headphones that resist heavy usage?

That may or may not be a headphone issue, does it happen with other headphones with a remote control or mic in them? I had a similar issue with Voice Controls freaking out with 3rd Party Headphones.

There's a huge thread about it on the Apple Discussion forums:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2058354&start=0&tstart=0

Since you have the 3rd Gen w/ Voice Controls, it should still be under warranty because it's less than a year old. I'd take it to the Genius Bar and try to get some new headphones out of them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Astro7x posted:

That may or may not be a headphone issue, does it happen with other headphones with a remote control or mic in them? I had a similar issue with Voice Controls freaking out with 3rd Party Headphones.

There's a huge thread about it on the Apple Discussion forums:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2058354&start=0&tstart=0

Since you have the 3rd Gen w/ Voice Controls, it should still be under warranty because it's less than a year old. I'd take it to the Genius Bar and try to get some new headphones out of them.

Unfortunately I'm in Mexico and while we have Apple stores, we don't have Genius Bars. 'sides, I bought my iTouch at a Costco, and bitching at them about warranties implies giving them my ipod and them sending it to factory for a check up and too much time and hassle and blablabla.
Oh well, I don't use voice commands so I might as well just buy some regular headphones.

EDIT: I haven't tried using another set of headphones to see if the issue persists, but I have plugged my iPod to a stereo and it works fine.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 4, 2010

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
Here are some rumors that were posted today:

MacRumors.com posted:

iLounge has put together a summary of recent information it has received regarding Apple's plans for the next generation of its iOS devices. Among the claims are a set of revised iPod devices possibly including a touch screen iPod shuffle, a new 7" iPad set for launch early next year at the latest, and a fifth-generation iPhone release scheduled for as soon as January.

-iPod: Apple reportedly has three new models of iPods ready for release, with the company presumed to be introducing them at an early September media event as it has for the last several years. The new models include a new iPod touch and iPod nano, while the third model could be a new iPod shuffle, possibly including the diminutive Apple-branded touch screen that appeared in a leak last month.

The report also claims circulating rumors of a three-inch touch screen for an iPod device, which would be a curious shift from the standard 3.5-inch screen of the iPhone and iPod touch if the device were to run iOS, unless the device offered the same number of pixels at slightly higher density. Issues would likely still remain, however, with buttons and other onscreen touch items at the smaller size.

-iPad: A new 7-inch iPad is reportedly scheduled for launch later this year or early next year. Previous reports have similarly indicated that Apple is planning to launch a smaller iPad with a screen sizes in the range of 5-7 inches early next year.

-iPhone: The fifth-generation iPhone may be set to launch as early as January in order to address antenna issues with the iPhone 4. It is unclear whether the new iPhone would be a major redesign or simply a tweak to address the antenna problems. While not mentioned in the report, the redesign could coincide with the much-rumored Verizon iPhone highly anticipated by many potential customers.

The report also addresses the iPhone 4 bumpers, with claims that Apple may be preparing to release a new, all-silicone bumper for the iPhone 4 that would provide the company with a cheaper solution to address the device's antenna issues. The report's source also claims that Apple considered shipping the iPhone 4 with bumpers from the very beginning, implying that the company was aware of a potential antenna issue.

Ordinarily, we would be highly skeptical of several of these claims, but while we are still taking them with a grain of salt, iLounge has had some remarkably accurate information on Apple's iPod pipeline over the last several years. The site accurately revealed the design change of the fourth-generation iPod nano, as well as the larger screen and unique camera placement of the fifth-generation iPod nano months before their respective releases. The site also offered some correct details on the iPad, although not all of its information on that product did turn out to be accurate.

My mind is pretty blown if that iPhone 5 things happens, but I guess discussion for that is for another thread.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
iPad Mini I can totally buy, iPhone 5 in January is bullshit.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
I guess with the iPad mini they hope to capture the assuredly massive market of people for whom the iPod touch is too small but the iPad is too big.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Are there really enough people asking for a smaller iPad to actually warrant one though? It seems unlikely. The only problem with the iPad right now (other than the fact that it really should have 512MB RAM) is that it could be lighter, but I won't complain, because most of the weight is due to the battery, and the battery life is amazing.

I'm really hoping the new iPod touch is basically an iPhone 4 without the phone bits. The back and forward facing cameras are almost a shoo-in to get Facetime more widely used, although I think the rumor about the back camera being lower res than the iPhone 4's is entirely possible and even probable, knowing Apple.

I think the touch will go back to having 3 up-to-date models with 16, 32 and 64 GB sizes. People who bought the "3rd gen" 8 GB touch are going to be pretty pissed when they find out that the iPod they bought that Apple markets as a gaming device won't be running the Game Center when Apple releases it. Apple needs to keep their poo poo up to date, considering how fast they drop support for older devices.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

I guess with the iPad mini they hope to capture the assuredly massive market of people for whom the iPod touch is too small but the iPad is too big.

This is kinda how I feel, but only for web browsing.

P455W012D
Mar 20, 2007

"Smells like a Squatch"
New Jailbreak for Istuff.
Article : http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/080310-iphone-jailbreak-exploit-sweet-and.html?page=1
Jailbreak Site from Ipod\pad\phone : https://www.jailbreakme.com

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Our daily take with a grain of salt rumor; http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/05/case-manufacturer-shows-off-claimed-next-generation-ipod-design-mockup/

quote:

HardMac reports that it has received from a case manufacturer a design mockup for the next-generation iPod touch, showing an off-center rear camera and flash similar to that found on the iPhone 4.

Even if it is hard to have a perfect view through the case, it looks like the back is rounded, unlike the one of the new iPhone, and of course, there is a camera and a flash.

This source is very reliable since it is already thanks to it that we were able to predict the camera on the iPod Mini last year.
There has been considerable speculation over whether Apple will even include a rear camera in the next iPod touch, especially considering the space constraints imposed by the current model's slim and tapered design. Many have regarded a lower-resolution (and thus thinner) front-facing camera as having a higher probability than a rear-facing one as Apple seeks to broaden access to its FaceTime video calling feature.

If Apple were to squeeze a rear-facing camera into the next-generation iPod touch, moving it to a corner as found on the iPhone would seem to be a reasonable shift away from the centered rear camera seen on current-generation prototypes that was ultimately scrapped. Such a move could provide additional space within the device's body depending on the degree of tapering, particularly if Apple is looking to center a front-facing camera on the other side of the device.

Despite the fact that Apple CEO Steve Jobs reported at the company's iPhone 4 press conference that it does not share product designs with case makers ahead of time due to their history of such leaks, Apple's manufacturing partners have been known in some cases to leak information to case manufacturers to enable them to get a head start on production before a new product launches. Other case manufacturers have admitted that they simply base their designs on prevailing rumors as they seek to have as much of their design work done ahead of the actual device introduction as possible.

Nick VTX
May 16, 2002
Apple likes to keep the Touch a step behind the latest iPhone so 1 camera would make sense. I think they fear if the current iPhone and Touch had the same hardware/features, the Touch might cannibalize their iPhones sales. Not sure that's a valid concern on their end, but that's why I think its always a step behind.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gotta be fake, if only because Apple's pushing the iOS 4 update now, so the menu would have a background image like the iPhone 4.0 pics if it were true.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

JazzFlight posted:

Gotta be fake, if only because Apple's pushing the iOS 4 update now, so the menu would have a background image like the iPhone 4.0 pics if it were true.

It says "Mock Up" in the URL...

If Apple is really trying to push "FaceTime Devices" this year, then I would be shocked if they don't include a low resolution front facing camera in the iPod Touch 4G. I could see them justifying it for the same reason as last year, the low resolution front facing camera would be thin enough to fit into the design of the super thin iPod Touch 4G and the addition of a rear high resolution would be too thick and not work with the current design. Pretty much the same reason why the Nano only got a video camera and not a still camera.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'm fine with no still camera, my Droid X is plenty. A front facing would be cool, though. As long as that thing runs as fast and looks as crisp as the new iPhone, I'm getting one anyways.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
nvm

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 5, 2010

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the iPhone thread:

I've recently started using a plugin for Foobar2000 that lets me sync playlists I've created to my Touch. Beforehand, I turned off "Sync Music" in iTunes, thinking that iTunes would sync everything BUT my music. Unfortunately, after using the Foobar plugin to load up my Touch with music, I connected it to iTunes, and to my anger and surprise, without telling me, iTunes erased all of the music! :argh:

Is there a way to get iTunes to ignore the music on my Touch and sync everything else? I thought I did all I needed to when I disabled Sync Music, but apparently iTunes is programmed to ignore the user! I'm afraid to connect my Touch to iTunes because I don't want to have to resync all of my music via Foobar.

(I know Touch != iPhone, but it seems like there are more active users in this thread)

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
We gave my Touch in to Apple to fix the headphone jack, and they returned it logged into someone else's account, with a massive crack in the screen.

They just told us to gently caress off when we assured them that it wasn't like that before. Now they want $200 to fix it (they'd asked for $150 for the headphone jack).

Anyone else had this kind of wonderful service with Apple? Is there any recourse to be had here?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

frozenpeas posted:

We gave my Touch in to Apple to fix the headphone jack, and they returned it logged into someone else's account, with a massive crack in the screen.

They just told us to gently caress off when we assured them that it wasn't like that before. Now they want $200 to fix it (they'd asked for $150 for the headphone jack).

Anyone else had this kind of wonderful service with Apple? Is there any recourse to be had here?

Was this at a local Apple store? If so, call them up and ask to speak with the manager and explain what happened. If that gets you nowhere, try calling Apple's support number or emailing Steve Jobs (seriously).

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

frozenpeas posted:

I would bitch non-stop all the way up the chain of command until someone gives you a new one. That's unbelievable.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
How can I get the Mail app to delete my Gmail messages instead of sending them to All Mail? I set "Archive Messages" for my Gmail account to Off in Mail settings, but it doesn't appear to have had any effect.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

How can I get the Mail app to delete my Gmail messages instead of sending them to All Mail? I set "Archive Messages" for my Gmail account to Off in Mail settings, but it doesn't appear to have had any effect.

In your inbox, swipe the mail you want to delete from right to left, you should see a delete button open the hell up. Enjoy!

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Jet Ready Go posted:

In your inbox, swipe the mail you want to delete from right to left, you should see a delete button open the hell up. Enjoy!

This still sends it to All Mail instead of Trash.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

iOS4 changed mail deletion into an archive action by default. To get Mail to work like it did pre-iOS4, go into Settings, tap Mail, tap your GMail account, then toggle Archive Messages to Off.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Karthe posted:

iOS4 changed mail deletion into an archive action by default. To get Mail to work like it did pre-iOS4, go into Settings, tap Mail, tap your GMail account, then toggle Archive Messages to Off.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

I set "Archive Messages" for my Gmail account to Off in Mail settings, but it doesn't appear to have had any effect.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Welp, look who has lovely reading comprehension :suicide:

That's really strange. How is your GMail account set up on your Touch? I only know of one way to set it up, so it probably won't matter, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Has this problem always existed on your Touch? Is it only since upgrading to iOS4?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Karthe posted:

Welp, look who has lovely reading comprehension :suicide:

That's really strange. How is your GMail account set up on your Touch? I only know of one way to set it up, so it probably won't matter, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Has this problem always existed on your Touch? Is it only since upgrading to iOS4?

I had typed up a post about the specifics of the Mail app's behavior when I noticed that it seems to be working fine after killing and restarting the app. Problem solved, I guess.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 9, 2010

Sputnyak
Dec 2, 2007

Discophagus Grunniens
I don't normally follow this kind of thing so this could very well be false, but apparently the iPod Touch 4 might be unveiled by Apple sometime this month: http://www.mobilesdna.com/news/ipod-touch-4-4g-equipped-with-retina-display-plus-dual-camera-available-from-next-month/1052/
I'm not too psyched about Facetime, but I've been waiting for months for the new model to come out to get an upgrade from my 1st gen Touch, and it's exciting to think it'll be possible to buy one within a month. :woop:
I'm going to be selling my old Touch soon. I plan to do it as soon as the new one comes out, and hope to get around 40-50 UK pounds for it (it's in fairly good condition with no scratches on the front, just on the back, with some dents. Updated it to 3.something software). However, I won't be the only person selling mine to get a new one; should I sell before the new ones come out to get extra cash, or is there no point? I'm really not savvy with buying/selling technology so I feel a little lost.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
This is a slightly basic question and not specifically about the touch.

If I want to use an iPod * on both a Windows PC and a Mac how can I do it without wiping it every time and reformatting?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
i dont care about any of that facetime camera poo poo i just need more than 64GBs fer crissakes

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Sputnyak posted:

I don't normally follow this kind of thing so this could very well be false, but apparently the iPod Touch 4 might be unveiled by Apple sometime this month: http://www.mobilesdna.com/news/ipod-touch-4-4g-equipped-with-retina-display-plus-dual-camera-available-from-next-month/1052/
Don't get your hopes up quite yet - historically, Apple has revealed new iterations of the other iPod devices (Nano, Touch, Shuffle, etc...) in September, so you still have about a month to go. I really do hope the rumors come true this time, though!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sputnyak posted:

I'm not too psyched about Facetime, but I've been waiting for months for the new model to come out to get an upgrade from my 1st gen Touch, and it's exciting to think it'll be possible to buy one within a month. :woop:
I'm going to be selling my old Touch soon. I plan to do it as soon as the new one comes out, and hope to get around 40-50 UK pounds for it (it's in fairly good condition with no scratches on the front, just on the back, with some dents. Updated it to 3.something software). However, I won't be the only person selling mine to get a new one; should I sell before the new ones come out to get extra cash, or is there no point? I'm really not savvy with buying/selling technology so I feel a little lost.

I'm sure somebody will buy it... I sold an ancient PowerPC G4 on CraigsList the other day for $90. Was surprised I got that much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zarkov Cortez posted:

This is a slightly basic question and not specifically about the touch.

If I want to use an iPod * on both a Windows PC and a Mac how can I do it without wiping it every time and reformatting?

Why do you think you would have to reformat each time you plug it into a different computer? You don't have to do this, you are allowed to register your device to 5 different computers.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
I think he's right, I'm pretty sure that while you can use 5 different computers, you can't go between mac and pc without formatting it. At least the one I tried wouldn't let me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Buddy
Feb 28, 2004
e-penis--
Edit: I figured out how to read and use google.

Hello Buddy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 12, 2010

• Locked thread