Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

InfinEight posted:

However, last week, Skopio XV-1 went on sale on Lego.com: http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=8996 making it half off. So, I bought it from Lego.com and returned the other one to TRU, saving myself $15.

I got stuck on the Processing Payment screen. Twice. All I wanted was some treads so I could make tanks and poo poo.

EDIT: Woo, third time's the charm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingraman
Jul 6, 2005
Arrogant bastard
I made this armored car thing and rolled it around like I was 10 again. Lego sure brings out that childhood spirit.

I exploded it on my flickr page if you want to see how it's built.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30995509@N02/4849297463/

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Guzwar posted:

I got stuck on the Processing Payment screen. Twice. All I wanted was some treads so I could make tanks and poo poo.

EDIT: Woo, third time's the charm!

You know, if you guys want tracks and don't want to deal with Bricklink, there's a much better way to get them than buying discounted Bioncle/City/Technic sets:

60 black tracks, 60 dark gray tracks, $15

36 small tracks/conveyor belt links, $10

100 dark gray tracks, 10 black sprockets, $12

Only the cheapest bricklink stores approach those prices.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I've never browsed that section of the LEGO Site. Bookmarked and saved for future use, thanks man.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pyroclastic posted:

You know, if you guys want tracks and don't want to deal with Bricklink, there's a much better way to get them than buying discounted Bioncle/City/Technic sets:

60 black tracks, 60 dark gray tracks, $15

36 small tracks/conveyor belt links, $10

100 dark gray tracks, 10 black sprockets, $12

Only the cheapest bricklink stores approach those prices.

While handy(and I'll definitely be ordering some of those packs), there's some other stuff in the sets I want, and if nothing else, it'd be pretty hard to not get what I paid for them later on. Plus, as said, some are gifts.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't start that again. Regardless of your opinion, Bionicle was incredibly helpful and influential for Lego in the first few years and really helped them survive the near-collapse they had at the turn of the millennium. The kits were mostly existing bricks with a few key new pieces such as masks, heads, limbs, and the MOC-revolutionizing ball joints and sockets. They were specifically marketed as "buildable action figures", too, so your toys with detachable body parts thing was sorta what they were going for all along.

But those Toa...after the Rahkshi or maybe Metru Nui, things really went downhill I guess. Although I'll definitely be ordering a few 50% off Scopios and Cendoxs for parts, especially tank treads. And a King's Sword too, because if there's one thing I've learned from my Onua Nuva Lego foam chainsaw, it's that they make EXCELLENT bugswatters. You don't even have to hit a hornet in midair when you swing one of those things, the sheer force from it will kill it right out of the air.

edit: 2 Skopios, 5 Cendox, 2 King's Swords. Some bought for gifts for kids. :c00l:

I have the first 3 movies and comics from the first one until somewhere way ahead. I have a ton of their toys and they were really great compared to a lot of the other frustrate-inducing LEGO counterparts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have to reiterate what I said in this prior post because in hindsight it's not entirely clear:

Captain Invictus posted:

What in the hell is this, I stopped paying attention to Bionicle years ago and this happens, accidentally stumbled upon them while digging for parts in Bricklink :psyduck:

All of the Toa look equally poo poo, they went from very simple, neat looking robot dudes to...that. Gross.

From this:

to this:

What a loving mess Lewa's become.

The problem I have isn't that they're crazy overgreebly machines. The issue is that those two green guys are the same character. And the red guy? That's Tahu. This is what he used to look like:

Never have I thought the age-old design mantra "Keep It Simple, Stupid" was more appropriate.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Captain Invictus posted:

I have to reiterate what I said in this prior post because in hindsight it's not entirely clear:

The problem I have isn't that they're crazy overgreebly machines. The issue is that those two green guys are the same character. And the red guy? That's Tahu. This is what he used to look like:

Never have I thought the age-old design mantra "Keep It Simple, Stupid" was more appropriate.

Without knowing the name I did a google search close enough to it and got a related image (text on that image, not so much)

I think this was when Bionicle went downhill. These guys were the pinnacle of awesome bionicle stuff and they were my personal favorite. After that, I don't know :sigh:.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Airbots were cooler :colbert:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
why it gotta be blacktron :whatup:

edit: seriously space police is racist as heck and atlantis is so conquistador it hurts.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

why it gotta be blacktron :whatup:

edit: seriously space police is racist as heck and atlantis is so conquistador it hurts.

Lots of LEGO sets have pretty unfortunate implications when you actually think about it. Thing is I'm not sure a kid will pick up on it in a serious way, the way I remember my childhood remember being completely oblivious to all manner of things that I only really pick up on now I'm all grown up.

Those poor LEGO Pirates islanders...

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Archaeology Hat posted:

Lots of LEGO sets have pretty unfortunate implications when you actually think about it. Thing is I'm not sure a kid will pick up on it in a serious way, the way I remember my childhood remember being completely oblivious to all manner of things that I only really pick up on now I'm all grown up.

Those poor LEGO Pirates islanders...
Surprisingly, in the Western line, they resisted the "cowboys and indians" urge by never putting cowboys in the same sets with native Americans and making the primary conflict be bandits versus cowboys/army. I always liked to have ambiguous "sides," though, by making the bandits sometimes work with the native Americans and the army not always help the cowboys and such.

That said, it's still a theme in which two major factions are the US Army and the native Americans, which is pretty risky for LEGO.

edit: :siren: drat :siren:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44402&st=75&p=786507&#entry786507

That is SO MANY tan cheese slopes

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 6, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carbohydrates posted:

we were talking about racism, so of course I read "chinese" for "cheese" and my jaw dropped.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Carbohydrates posted:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44402&st=75&p=786507&#entry786507

drat, that is a sexy set. Cool building techniques, and useful non-specialized parts. And SHITLOADS of tan cheese slopes!

I loves me some cheese slopes. They're some of the most useful pieces in my arsenal.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
gently caress gently caress gently caress!

I really want that bridge. I have nowhere to put it, but I want it.

It's also expensive but man, look at it! drat it!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I'm not even a big bridge fan, but that is a sweet bridge. And I can already tell it's one that will never be on sale :(

Anyway, I made a Buzz last night, and once again he's outclassed out of the box:

I think $25 is too much given the lack of knees and elbows, even though the dome is a really nice piece. If you can find it on sale like I did though, it's got some really useful pieces (lots of 3x1 tiles in white), and for $13-$20, I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Ingraman
Jul 6, 2005
Arrogant bastard
The bot behind Buzz is amazing. Looks like an EZ-8 from Gundam.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
My mother just called to tell me that she purchased a "lego aircraft carrier" from the naval aviation museum for my soon-to-be 6 year old.

I am unable to find what she is talking about poking around the lego site. There are plenty of lego aircraft carriers on the web, but they are all ten-million-piece adult projects.

Anybody have a guess as to what a grandma who knows what an aircraft carrier is, but may not be too picky about Lego(r) versus brand-x blocks might be talking about?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I am so sorry.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3529165&CAWELAID=397574506

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Uuuuggggg... not good. Bestlock might as well be called "Wontlock".

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
That is pretty grim. I suppose I ought to pick him up something nice so as to not make it a total bust for birthday-lego.

We enjoyed the hell out of the Lego Stegosaurus last year as a father-son project. Is there anything else that is that cool? If possible I'd like to avoid licensed properties and movie tie-ins. Something big and awesome and not so fiddly that I can't let him do most of the construction would be best. Budget 70$ or so (more if it is as awesome as the stegosaurus)

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
If you like creature sets, then something like Fiery Legends or Ferocious Creatures would seem to fit the bill. There's also pretty nice sets in the Creator line like the car transporter or the firetruck.

Also if big is good, I noticed the Crawler Crane was still available at TRU recently.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Carbohydrates posted:

Well at least I got to see it once before blinding myself with jizz

EDIT: MY jizz

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Slo-Tek posted:

That is pretty grim. I suppose I ought to pick him up something nice so as to not make it a total bust for birthday-lego.

We enjoyed the hell out of the Lego Stegosaurus last year as a father-son project. Is there anything else that is that cool? If possible I'd like to avoid licensed properties and movie tie-ins. Something big and awesome and not so fiddly that I can't let him do most of the construction would be best. Budget 70$ or so (more if it is as awesome as the stegosaurus)

Any of the Creator line is a sure bet. Ferocious Creatures and Fiery Legend both fall into this category but there are vehicles and houses in this line as well.

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=348&d=70

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

Without knowing the name I did a google search close enough to it and got a related image (text on that image, not so much)

I think this was when Bionicle went downhill. These guys were the pinnacle of awesome bionicle stuff and they were my personal favorite. After that, I don't know :sigh:.

I had one of these and I took it apart recently to sort my Lego collection. Looking at it apart I have this to say: Every part in there that's not extremely generic is meant to build a circular robot. You can put them into other MOCs, but without hiding them they'll just be oddly circular bits in the middle of your MOC. Also the carriage for the rubber mask is very purpose-built. I don't think this was the last good set, I think this was the beginning of the end.

But they're so loving awesome. With their necks extended they're like little robot death chickens.

AstroZamboni posted:

Uuuuggggg... not good. Bestlock might as well be called "Wontlock".

Most impressive is that even on their cover images, Bestlock pieces don't loving fit together. At all. There's bigass gaps all over the place because the pieces won't fit.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 7, 2010

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Plastik posted:

Most impressive is that even on their cover images, Bestlock pieces don't loving fit together. At all. There's bigass gaps all over the place because the pieces won't fit.

I think it's hilarious that Bestlock has windows on all its packages to show how 'compatible' they are with Lego, or even have clear packaging (the minifig sets). If you even give them a basic examination, you'll see how horrible the build quality of the minifigs are, and how cheap-looking the plastic used in the bricks are.

And looking at their packaging pics, you can usually spot bad sprue trimming, poor fit, warped pieces...I can't believe anyone who looks at them in stores would ever buy one.

I was at TRU a few weeks ago, and I overheard a guy talking on his cell phone to someone who wanted the 'SWAT' Lego set. After he finished, I told him that he was probably looking for the SWAT helicopter BestLock set. I tried to show him how terrible the quality was tried to turn him towards the Lego City police stuff, but I don't think he was willing to bring the wrong thing home.
I can only hope the kid was so disappointed that they returned it to the store and bought a proper Lego set.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slo-Tek posted:

You should explain to her that they're chinese knockoffs that have terrible quality control, and she should return it and buy a proper Lego set. Even if aircraft carriers are cool, if it's a really lovely toy, the kid will be disappointed!

like I remember when I was a little kid, around 7 or 8, and my grandma bought me a barrel of megabloks and a megablok missile tank thing. I was sad because they wouldn't fit together with my Legos very well if at all.

Also, said barrel of megabloks was in my attic, and I recently found it and it had literally disintegrated. Like, it simply crumbled to dust as if it had been sitting in there for eons. The barrel, not the bricks. The bricks were all warped and yellow, totally useless. This is why you buy Lego, who have actual quality control!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finally got around to messing with LDD tonight. While certainly interesting and easy to use, I've already gotten a bit frustrated with it's dumbed down controls and haphazard placement system. And the fact that items within a category aren't organized in any fashion (I spent a good 5 minutes just trying to spot the minis head in universe mode) is maddening. I guess I'll try one of the more advanced CAD programs tomorrow.

Saying that, while messing around inside the program I was able to whip up this little concept building. Sort of a semi-tudor publican building; the second floor that would be over a smaller first floor. Pretty basic by some of your guys standards, but I guess it's decent for my first attempt at the program.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Why does it come with 4 minifigs if the set isn't to scale :psyduck:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Invasion of the Giant Crewmembers! Fight them off with the fighter jets, then watch your ship fall to pieces anyway!

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

The Navy doesn't have A-10s. :colbert:

Also: There has never been a commissioned CV-53 or CVN-53. The sailor's hair is too long, he's in an anachronistic uniform, and he'd never be on the flight deck in dress uniform during operations.

Serious Michael fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 7, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Sockser posted:

Why does it come with 4 minifigs if the set isn't to scale :psyduck:

That's my favorite part about this. If I was a kid I'd pretend that the Navy employs giants on their carriers.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Revol posted:

That's my favorite part about this. If I was a kid I'd pretend that the Navy employs giants on their carriers.

If you were a kid you would be too busy crying.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Sounds like a lot of kids are crying. Just read the reviews of that thing. blech.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Generic Lego is universally lovely; I recently got a mixed bag of megablox, lego, and some fun little products called "Shifty" from Value Village;

The shifty products are flat out ripoffs and I feel sorry for this kid, because he had 3 or 4 sets from them (The Jet-Ski, and the old pirates treasure island). The bricks LOOK like legit lego but the quality is through the floor.

It's seriously so bad that the minifig faces are printed towards the bottom of a squashed head, which does NOT fit onto the necks of the torsos they came from.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PopeOnARope posted:

The shifty products are flat out ripoffs

So, they were slightly dodgy then? Maybe a little untrustworthy?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Ted Stevens posted:

Sounds like a lot of kids are crying. Just read the reviews of that thing. blech.

Hahaha, now I WANT to buy this, just to see if I can do the impossible and actually assemble this piece of poo poo.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Best review of the aircraft carrier

Best Uses: As an ash tray

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself
I've tried quite a few generic brands and apart from one pleasant surprise, found them to be as bad as you'd expect.

Mega Bloks - To be fair, they are getting better all the time. The plastic quality and clutch are improving and they're doing less of the juniorised parts that they used to be notorious for. Still nowhere near Lego quality.

Construblock - Spanish brand. Reasonable plastic quality but clutch is barely adequate and instructions are terrible. They do have some unique parts thanks to employing one of the designers who was involved with Tente. I'm happy enough with the set I got on EBay but wouldn't pay full price for one.

Cogo - aka Little White Dragon from China. All bootleg designs, and pretty poor quality.

Best-Lock - Started off doing a non-compatible look-alike, then partnered with Cobi and switched to Lego metrics. At that point, their stuff was looking pretty good, then they broke up with Cobi and their first choice of factory got hit by an earthquake. Since then they just seem to keep getting worse.

Toyrific - Their sets are either rebranded Cogo, or original designs but made by the same factory as Best-Lock. Stay away.

Click Brick - These are currently UK only, and made in China. However, their quality is 95% of the way to Lego - I don't know how they found a Chinese factory with that kind of quality control, especially as their prices are comparable with other generic brands. Clutch is great, but they do a very limited range of colours and themes.

Never tried Oxford, Enlighten or Kazi as they're not very available in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Once again felt the need to share. You might remember the LDD castle diorama. I'm currently expanding on it, adding a subterrenean lake under a grate in the treasury/armory cave. It'll have a small opening with a waterfall to the outside into that little lake with the landing:

Click here for the full 1280x859 image.