Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

Elotana posted:

If someone asks me the stairs question I generally put on a poker face, that masonic poo poo is lame as hell

One time I was early to a bar review outing and while waiting for some of my law school friends to arrive, a random person came up to me and asked if I had stairs in my house. Law students: we wait for one another awkwardly, looking like goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

J Miracle posted:

What it's easy just figure out if a reg is content-based or content-neutral, if its a viewpoint reg; time place and manner restriction, protected or unprotected speech, level of scrutiny and you're done! Possibly apply specific tests for commercial speech, fighting words, obscenity, incitement, and probably some other poo poo I'm forgetting. Remember that nonverbal poo poo can be speech unless its conduct. Also some poo poo about strip clubs.

For religion just apply one of 8 or so different Supreme Court tests for Establishment Clause and for Exercise just follow that peyote case unless you're dealing with the Amish then they can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Oh yeah and for free speech apply a whole different set of poo poo if it takes place in a school.

What could be simpler?

EDIT: Also poo poo about forums being traditional public or non-public or limited-purpose or whatever the gently caress

Oh, I didn't mean that I think it's terribly complex or anything, but I despise this case law. "And all you do is follow this basic formula and voila," "Uh, sir, if you use the rationale you just cited and apply it to the facts of the case, you don't get the court's result," *Sound of Antonin Scalia taking a clerk out back and shooting him*

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Daico posted:

Oh, I didn't mean that I think it's terribly complex or anything, but I despise this case law. "And all you do is follow this basic formula and voila," "Uh, sir, if you use the rationale you just cited and apply it to the facts of the case, you don't get the court's result," *Sound of Antonin Scalia taking a clerk out back and shooting him*

He's my clerk pa, I'll take care of him.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

JudicialRestraints posted:

He's my clerk pa, I'll take care of him.

And you'd better loving look him RIGHT IN THE EYES when you do, because the Confrontation Clause demands nothing less.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

Comedy answer: There's always a motion.

Serious answer: Hold your hand vertically. Raise it a bit. Then turn it horizontal. Move it to the side a bit. Repeat. Stairs!

Honestly though when I meet goons if I get the stairs question it gets interrupted with "Don't do that."
Motion denied

Worse is when they introduce themselves by username

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

J Miracle posted:

What it's easy just figure out if a reg is content-based or content-neutral, if its a viewpoint reg; time place and manner restriction, protected or unprotected speech, level of scrutiny and you're done! Possibly apply specific tests for commercial speech, fighting words, obscenity, incitement, and probably some other poo poo I'm forgetting. Remember that nonverbal poo poo can be speech unless its conduct. Also some poo poo about strip clubs.

For religion just apply one of 8 or so different Supreme Court tests for Establishment Clause and for Exercise just follow that peyote case unless you're dealing with the Amish then they can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Oh yeah and for free speech apply a whole different set of poo poo if it takes place in a school.

What could be simpler?

EDIT: Also poo poo about forums being traditional public or non-public or limited-purpose or whatever the gently caress

You forgot company-town doctrine.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Send me an application. I will share it with Yojimbo, Thoras and Absentia

http://www.govguamdocs.com/doa/docs/DOA_EmploymentApplicationForm_02-10.pdf

For position of Attorney, listing #DOA148-09, posted 12/07/09.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Abugadu posted:

http://www.govguamdocs.com/doa/docs/DOA_EmploymentApplicationForm_02-10.pdf

For position of Attorney, listing #DOA148-09, posted 12/07/09.

I'm assuming this isn't a 2L summer job? I'm trying to convince some unemployedish 3L friends to apply.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

I'm assuming this isn't a 2L summer job? I'm trying to convince some unemployedish 3L friends to apply.

Yeah, for 2L summer job, it'd be with the local Superior Court. PM me for details on that. Can't guarantee anything, though, I thought I had S_A_M a summer job, but it turns out the chief justice here has something against T14 schools. But on the other hand, the staff attorney owes us one for putting up with their abortion of an extern for this entire summer.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
What's the best place to buy furniture in NYC? I'm doing my CLS move-in tomorrow and I need to pick up pretty much everything for my unfurnished apartment. I don't really have a ton of money.

Grey_Area
Dec 21, 2006
Grey Area
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but figured I'd try the megathread before creating a separate thread. I want to get an overview of how the British legal system works, and of British law. What are the best textbooks for someone completely ignorant of how the law works but wanting to end up with fairly detailed knowledge? In particular, covering things that form part of the CPE.

Grey_Area fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 6, 2010

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Holland Oats posted:

What's the best place to buy furniture in NYC? I'm doing my CLS move-in tomorrow and I need to pick up pretty much everything for my unfurnished apartment. I don't really have a ton of money.

Just go around the city looking for stuff that people have discarded on the sidewalk.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Holland Oats posted:

Craigslist/Ikea in Brooklyn. You're too late to capitalize on the poo poo that graduating undergrads leave behind.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

The answer is always, always, Ikea.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006
So I'm taking my ConLaw II-First Amendment final today [really, Daico? We couldn't guess from the earlier poo poo posting...) and I arrive to have the professor's assistant tell me Professor Procrastinator was finishing up the final this morning and accidentally deleted it.

So I'm sitting here waiting while he rewrites it. His assistant said she figured he'd be done in fifteen minutes or so, but that was thirty minutes ago.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Daico posted:

So I'm taking my ConLaw II-First Amendment final today [really, Daico? We couldn't guess from the earlier poo poo posting...) and I arrive to have the professor's assistant tell me Professor Procrastinator was finishing up the final this morning and accidentally deleted it.

So I'm sitting here waiting while he rewrites it. His assistant said she figured he'd be done in fifteen minutes or so, but that was thirty minutes ago.

Does your law school have walls?

E: or ABA accreditation?

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Does your law school have walls?

E: or ABA accreditation?

UTexas? I'm pretty sure we're accredited. God in heaven, I hope we're accredited, I knew the tuition was too good to be true.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Daico posted:

UTexas? I'm pretty sure we're accredited. God in heaven, I hope we're accredited, I knew the tuition was too good to be true.

Just study for the baby bar and you'll be fine.

You won't be able to practice out of state, but Texas is a big state and I'm sure that there are plenty of employers who will look favorably upon your scrappy education.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Daico posted:

Man, if we're not accredited, SMU, Baylor, Texas Tech, U Houston, South Texas College of Law, St. Mary's, TWU and Thurgood Marshall are going to throw up their hands in celebration. drat it, I know I'm missing one.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I got another articling interview for next week with a lawyer who, from what I gather, is basically Maury Levy.

One step closer to living The Wire. :bustem:

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I got another articling interview for next week with a lawyer who, from what I gather, is basically Maury Levy.

One step closer to living The Wire. :bustem:

You do realise that maury levy was a morally grotesque piece of poo poo, right? The show wasn't exactly full of of moral excellence, but maury levy managed to combine "ought to know better" with the worst aspects of the show.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I'm sorry if this makes me a dim bulb but what the hell is "articling"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Canadian post-law school apprenticeship if I'm not mistaken

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Lykourgos posted:

You do realise that maury levy was a morally grotesque piece of poo poo, right? The show wasn't exactly full of of moral excellence, but maury levy managed to combine "ought to know better" with the worst aspects of the show.

Yes, but given the options of a) looking for articles god-knows-where during the school year, or b) getting criminal law experience hustlin' with the dregs of society, I'll happily take B.

That said, I also have interviews on the other side of the bench Monday and, if offered both, will take the prosecution gig.

edit: yes, articling is a requirement in some provinces before we can be licensed. It's a paid, 10 month work program.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lykourgos posted:

Oh give it a rest already

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Oh I see so it's like clerking basically but required...I think that's a good idea honestly, it's kind of mind-boggling that it's POSSIBLE, at least at my school, to graduate having done no clinics, no externships/internships, no real legal work at all. There's a requirement of like one "skills" class but you could take Will Drafting or something and then go out and try to practice law having never even seen a motion or written a brief since first year writing class.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Yes, but given the options of a) looking for articles god-knows-where during the school year, or b) getting criminal law experience hustlin' with the dregs of society, I'll happily take B.

That said, I also have interviews on the other side of the bench Monday and, if offered both, will take the prosecution gig.

edit: yes, articling is a requirement in some provinces before we can be licensed. It's a paid, 10 month work program.

That's understandable then; it's dirty and shameful work, but academia is also a kind of rank filth that is hard to accept. Good luck on the prosecution position, maybe you can dodge both bullets.

J Miracle posted:

Oh I see so it's like clerking basically but required...I think that's a good idea honestly, it's kind of mind-boggling that it's POSSIBLE, at least at my school, to graduate having done no clinics, no externships/internships, no real legal work at all. There's a requirement of like one "skills" class but you could take Will Drafting or something and then go out and try to practice law having never even seen a motion or written a brief since first year writing class.

Pretty sure Indiana University doesn't require students to have summer jobs or attend clinics, and I know people from other schools who similarly had no requirements. I can't imagine graduating without doing them, either, though. If law schools were actually interested in creating lawyers, I assume the bulk of your tuition would involve these sorts of thing.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oh give it a rest already

That's what tipped you over the edge?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
2 firms that I had 2L OCI's with are returning for 3L OCIs. Both firms I feel like I came really close--one firm I had TWO callbacks and then they ended up not having a summer associate program that year at all, and the other firm I had a callback plus an invite to a fancy dinner with single malt scotch and lobster (OK it was a state bar business law section annual meeting but there WAS Scotch and lobster). The second firm also, to my knowledge, only hired diversity candidates for their summer associate program. Am I wrong to be kind of excited about this? I mean they had to like me somewhat, didn't they? On the other hand, the fact that I didn't have an SA position this summer can't exactly be a mark in my favor, can it?

So many questions...

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
Any US lawyers here go through the process of becoming licensed in Canada? How was it?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

J Miracle posted:

2 firms that I had 2L OCI's with are returning for 3L OCIs. Both firms I feel like I came really close--one firm I had TWO callbacks and then they ended up not having a summer associate program that year at all, and the other firm I had a callback plus an invite to a fancy dinner with single malt scotch and lobster (OK it was a state bar business law section annual meeting but there WAS Scotch and lobster). The second firm also, to my knowledge, only hired diversity candidates for their summer associate program. Am I wrong to be kind of excited about this? I mean they had to like me somewhat, didn't they? On the other hand, the fact that I didn't have an SA position this summer can't exactly be a mark in my favor, can it?

So many questions...
3L OCI is a goddamn myth, regardless of circumstance

I didn't bother signing up this year, I'd rather spend those hours planning a unique and exciting suicide

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I didn't bother signing up this year, [sic] I'd rather spend those hours planning a unique and exciting suicide

Do the thing like in Die Hard where you stand with an offensive sign in a poor neighborhood.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

billion dollar bitch posted:

Do the thing like in Die Hard where you stand with an offensive sign in a poor neighborhood.

Why not a sign like "A JD is a golden ticket to wealth!" at a graduation?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Don't [sic] people, it makes you look like a pretentious dickwad and trust me karma is a bitch and eventually someone will do it to you and you will suffer heaps of scorn and ridicule from your peers

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Don't [sic] people, it makes you look like a pretentious dickwad and trust me karma is a bitch and eventually someone will do it to you and you will suffer heaps of scorn and ridicule from your peers

But I like quoting opposing counsel's documents as much as possible and I don't want the judge to think I'm dumb :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked how in the TV version they changed it to "I HATE EVERYBODY"

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Ainsley McTree posted:

I liked how in the TV version they changed it to "I HATE EVERYBODY"
Which should be worse if you think about it, since it means he hates all minority groups at the same time

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
True story, I was assaulted today at work. FUN FUN

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

When the ship sinks, they throw the cargo over first to save the crew. (not [sic] to be a dick or anything [sic])

no [sic] man if you use it you're totally gangsta [sic]

stop [sic] going and see how long it takes for them to stop paying you. :v:

What a stupid interview. I wouldn't work for that company anyways; they seem like dicks [sic]

yeah [sic], since apparently people don't interpret it in the limited way the case was actually decided.

But anyways, DONE WITH 1L YEAR so i'm [sic] gonna [sic] play [sic] mah [sic] computer for about ten hours.

I dunno - [sic] it could be that she's just not a dick.
I got bored after the first half page of your posts

also, if you're going to be the type of twat that uses it, [sic] should be italicized, you goddamn law school piece of poo poo <3

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

True story, I was assaulted today at work. FUN FUN

Thank you for not boring us with the details