Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

evil_bunnY posted:

A wee bit of flash can help a lot?

Oh I know, a large majority of my photos I used flash on. I was just pointing out that local shows suck for lighting and I am so glad I invested in a flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

didi-mau posted:

Yeah no one is going to try to claim exclusivity on any of the work you do. There's little enough money in music photography as it is.

Would be nice not to have personal watermarks on the photos that get uploaded though. if there has to be a watermark I'd rather it be consistent for all the shots.

Yeah, it'd be a lot nicer to have a consistant watermark as opposed to everyones personal one. Maybe the Sound Surveillance Logo with a "by: NAME HERE" underneath so credit is given on the actual pictures.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Viper_3000 posted:

Yeah, it'd be a lot nicer to have a consistant watermark as opposed to everyones personal one. Maybe the Sound Surveillance Logo with a "by: NAME HERE" underneath so credit is given on the actual pictures.

I think a "(name) for Sound Surveillance" would be fine.

Also, the photo rights thing should be hashed out more explicitly because otherwise there'll be a big stink about it sooner or later.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pr0digal posted:

Oh I know, a large majority of my photos I used flash on. I was just pointing out that local shows suck for lighting and I am so glad I invested in a flash
Oh, misunderstood you then.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

I think a "(name) for Sound Surveillance" would be fine.

Also, the photo rights thing should be hashed out more explicitly because otherwise there'll be a big stink about it sooner or later.

It entirely depends on the band really. Some bands have you sign photo contracts that say you can only use it on the publication/source you are shooting for (hardly enforced, however). Using it on a personal site shouldn't be an issue; maybe with a link back to the Sound Surveillance gallery page or something though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I, Butthole posted:

It entirely depends on the band really. Some bands have you sign photo contracts that say you can only use it on the publication/source you are shooting for (hardly enforced, however). Using it on a personal site shouldn't be an issue; maybe with a link back to the Sound Surveillance gallery page or something though.

No, I meant more in the sense that if there's a photo that a band wants to buy, then if the rights issue hasn't been explicitly resolved there could potentially be a big pissing match between the owner or shareholders in Sound Surveillance and the photographer if there's a lot of money at stake. Personally, my feeling is that all photos rights should remain with the photographers just because it's easier that way.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
My thoughts on rights/watermarks:

I'm thinking watermark all shots with a consistant "Sound Surveillance" watermark. Then a (C)Your Name below that. Feel free to (c)Rockcityphoto.com or whatever you want instead of a name. Alternatively if you don't want to get hassled by bands about getting them free press, feel free to omit your name, or use a "pen name" of sorts.

Rights -> Basically: Shots you take are yours, you let us display'em on the site and use them for "marketing purposes" likely in the form of banner ads. By shooting for us, you agree to allow this usage as long as you are an "Active" shooter (IE: You use the SS name to get into shows). If you quit or go "inactive" to pursue other interests you're free to remove your past contributions at any time, or allow us to continue to use them.

I'm not looking to start some kind of media empire here, I just want to stop getting shut out at shows. As such, I feel that any policy should be in favor of the individual photographer as opposed to what's "good for the site".

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

No, I meant more in the sense that if there's a photo that a band wants to buy, then if the rights issue hasn't been explicitly resolved there could potentially be a big pissing match between the owner or shareholders in Sound Surveillance and the photographer if there's a lot of money at stake. Personally, my feeling is that all photos rights should remain with the photographers just because it's easier that way.

Oh, fair enough; I'd say keep it in the photographers hands. The site upkeep probably won't be too much to start, and if it gets popular, ads will probably end up being self-supportive of most costs.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I'd be up for this, but there's not a lot of big acts that come through central Wisconsin. I've been mulling over saying anything here because, while I'd love to work on it, most of the bands I shoot are local. And though the local scene isn't anything to spit on (hey, we produced Bon Iver :v:,) I don't see this site having much need for smaller bands. I'll cover anything that comes through though.

It'd also give me an excuse to get to the Twin Cities more often.

pwn fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 5, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

pwn posted:

I'd be up for this, but there's not a lot of big acts that come through central Wisconsin. I've been mulling over saying anything here because, while I'd love to work on it, most of the bands I shoot are local. And though the local scene isn't anything to spit on (hey, we produced Bon Iver :v:,) I don't see this site having much need for smaller bands. I'll cover anything that comes through though.

Just because they aren't well known doesn't mean they're not worthy of press. That's the goal of the site, to show-case unheard talent. "We have ears all over the world so you don't have to".

As an aside: If you have shots of a big-name band playing a small venue, definitely cue them up with any thoughts you can remember. It'd be really neat to have "flash-backs" and have pictures of say Green Day from some hole in the wall. Also, I've thought about maybe having "Toy-Camera" coverage. Just one update a week/month people contribute their best Holga/Polaroid/Pinhole Camera shots, be they promo or concert shots, or maybe just candid shots of the artist(s).

On a side note: http://soundsurveillance.wordpress.com/
and SoundSurveillance@gmail.com have been created. Once we get the hosting/domain stuff straightened out we should probably create an "Editor@SoundSurveillance.com" email in case we need to confirm contributors. Also, we need to set-up a phpbb forum or something small-time so we can have a place to discuss things.

Post your emails here and I'll add you as a contributor, or if you'd rather they not be public: BSemisch (at) gmail.com (any other issues feel free to shoot them here). From there I figure we can back-log posts from July, just so we have a couple of posts to hit the ground running.

If anyone wants to be an editor, let me know that as well. The editors basic job will be to glance at updates, make sure they conform to our "template" and correct any obvious spelling/grammar errors then queue up posts according to our current update schedule.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Good luck keeping phpBB not-leaky. It's *horrible* for that.
I'd totally be willing to share my shots of bands passing through here/shows I take my camera to.

I think the hobogestapo format is cool, but it'd be really nice to have an indexed system that's semi-usable too. That's probably custom work.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I'll get around to setting up hosting this week sometime since no one wants to spearhead that.

Any suggestions? Hostgator? GoDaddy? It's been a while since I've done any sort of site running so fill me in if you guys are in the know.

Also, I'll work on getting e-mail going too. That'll probably be next paycheck though, so it'll be a week.

As far as discussion goes, I don't think a forum would be a good idea, too much maintenance/spam. Maybe use something like google wave to start out with and if we get big enough I'll spring for Yammer or something like that.

As far as photo rights are concerned, I'm thinking we'll do it properly with releases because I have no desire to be sued or deal with lawyer fees.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

IF YOU WANT ME TO ADD YOU AS A CONTRIBUTOR YOU MUST FIRST SIGN UP FOR A WORDPRESS ACCOUNT USING THE EMAIL YOU GIVE ME.

On the subject of domain hosting, I use a little no-name shop from a guy off a forum I use. I know there's a goon who runs a hosting site, but don't remember it's name. Dream host or something like that. IDK what he charges but I know goons get a discount.

On the subject of a forum: It'd be hidden off-site. Though I guess realistically there isn't much issue that needs to be handled that can't be done using email.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 5, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

AtomicManiac posted:

IF YOU WANT ME TO ADD YOU AS A CONTRIBUTOR YOU MUST FIRST SIGN UP FOR A WORDPRESS ACCOUNT USING THE EMAIL YOU GIVE ME.

On the subject of domain hosting, I use a little no-name shop from a guy off a forum I use. I know there's a goon who runs a hosting site, but don't remember it's name. Dream host or something like that. IDK what he charges but I know goons get a discount.

On the subject of a forum: It'd be hidden off-site. Though I guess realistically there isn't much issue that needs to be handled that can't be done using email.

I already have one, so how do we get added as a contributor?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

dunkman posted:

I already have one, so how do we get added as a contributor?

You tell me the email you used to sign up with wordpress, then I put that in the box and you're good to go.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

You can get some great hosting from Lithium Hosting. He's a goon with a special discount for goons (god goons sounds strange to type) and it costs about 10$/year for hosting. I have about 5 websites hosted there and nothing but good to tell about it. Very good support too, look in SA Mart for the thread Dark Lotus has there. Never heard much good about Dreamhost.

And I'm a little confused since one of you bought the soundsurveillance.com domain, but now you're using a wordpress sub-domain? If it's temporary, isn't it easier to just start on the right domain?

As for forums, Simple Press is a great wordpress forum. You can hide anything from public that you want too, so only the contributors could see it. I'm also not sure why you'd have to sign up with a wordpress account, sounds pretty unnecessary really. Just set up an @soundsurveillance.com google apps email account, and let any contributors use that for email. Or to sign in.

Sterf fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 6, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AtomicManiac posted:

Post your emails here and I'll add you as a contributor, or if you'd rather they not be public: BSemisch (at) gmail.com (any other issues feel free to shoot them here). From there I figure we can back-log posts from July, just so we have a couple of posts to hit the ground running.

If anyone wants to be an editor, let me know that as well. The editors basic job will be to glance at updates, make sure they conform to our "template" and correct any obvious spelling/grammar errors then queue up posts according to our current update schedule.

mcpherson.mitch (at) gmail.com, and I'd be willing to edit.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Sorry to interrupt all the website fun, but have some Warped Tour live photos to sexy up the page.

Crowd during Bring Me The Horizon. (I took this shot using my monopod as a boom arm and firing it with a remote. The camera is about 6 feet above the crowd in the photo.

Eyes Set To Kill

In Fear and Faith

Of Mice & Men

Parkway Drive

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
And my warped photos just got put to shame.

Rockcity, those are awesome. The crowd shot is just perfect even with the wide angle distorion

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Sterf posted:

And I'm a little confused since one of you bought the soundsurveillance.com domain, but now you're using a wordpress sub-domain? If it's temporary, isn't it easier to just start on the right domain?

As for forums, Simple Press is a great wordpress forum. You can hide anything from public that you want too, so only the contributors could see it. I'm also not sure why you'd have to sign up with a wordpress account, sounds pretty unnecessary really. Just set up an @soundsurveillance.com google apps email account, and let any contributors use that for email. Or to sign in.

We're going to point the domain at the wordpress, that way we can use wordpress to update the site without having to go into doing html stuff to get the updates right. It's easier for the contributors to send in their updates. As for the "one log-in" this just works as a fail safe. Say the site does get big, do you want 100+ people able to pull the site offline if they get butt-hurt over something? Plus the more people have access the more people can gently caress with things, it's just a level of security. Plus this way I believe it'll say who the contributor is on the page, then people can check out that contributors blog/profile for their page.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Sign up for a wordpress account with that email and let me know when you do and I'll make it happen.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
soo guys lets get this rolling.

Just found out GWAR is gonna be here on October 19th. Give me somewhere to put the pics. :black101:

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Four Banger posted:

soo guys lets get this rolling.

Just found out GWAR is gonna be here on October 19th. Give me somewhere to put the pics. :black101:

I agree. Here's the "Wrap-up" post of everything:

HOW TO BECOME A CONTRIBUTOR OF SOUND SURVEILLANCE
1) Sign up for a wordpress acount.
2) Post the email you used for the account here, or email me BSemisch(at)Gmail.com
3) Indicate if you'd like to be an editor.
4) Please include your full name and location (In case some company needs confirmation you "work" for Sound Surveillance).
5) Get added, and start posting.

RIGHTS
By becoming a contributor you grant Sound Surveillance and it's "employees" web usage of any pictures you submit; as long as you remain an "Active Contributor". Once you have decided to part with Sound Surveillance you have the option of removing your work, or leaving it with us; should you decide to leave it up you can always ask for it down at any time.

You also agree to let Sound Surveillance use your pictures for "marketing purposes" most likely in the form of Internet banner ads.

If Sound Surveillance is contacted regarding purchasing of rights to pictures, they will be directed to the original photographer. If Sound Surveillance is asked to remove a photo or contribution by a PR Company or Musician/group we will honor that request. I think everyone is here to get press passes first and foremost, burning bridges with PR companies probably isn't the best thing to do.

Profits
Any Profit made by Sound Surveillance will first be used to pay off domain and hosting costs, secondly for graphic design, third for advertisements (including sponsorship of events). Lastly, money may be used for some kind of contributor contest; I'm thinking if for some reason we're just getting gobs of money it'd be cool to fly someone out to some big festival and give them a press pass, to shoot say Bonaroo or whatever. Also, Tshirts!

WHAT TO COVER
1) A single band's live performance.
-In *MOST* cases you will be shooting a single band and reviewing their live performance. Your review will be accompanied by your best 3-5 images, leading off with the shot with the most members of the band in it.

*To be eligible a band MUST have 2 things. 1) They must have quality recordings. 2) These recordings must be stream-able online WITH the option to legally download or purchase the recordings. YOU MUST INCLUDE LINKS WITH YOUR POST

2) An EP/Album Review.
-Include a shot of the album art or a promo of the band, with a link to purchase/legally download it. Post the review on the day of/after the album drops, no sooner.

3) An Event.
-This is tricky to describe. Basically if there's some local event that goes on annually (Say a radio station has an annual concert) then you will be permitted to cover the whole show, you'll need to include a write-up of the highlights (one to two sentence blurbs) and limit the work to 20-25 of your best shots from the day. *Warped tour and Oz fest don't count. Festival shows are fair game.

4) An Interview with a band.
-Keep it to 10-20 questions, include a promo of the band and link to at least 2 of their social networking pages (Facebook, Pure Volume, Myspace, Twitter, etc). Again, they must have Quality recordings that can be streamed, as well as legally downloaded or purchased.

5) Video
-I don't know if anyone is doing video. Keep it under 5 minutes if at all possible. We'll set-up a youtube or Vimeo account; alternatively if a band drops a music video, feel free to embed that in a post with a bit on the band, and some links to their social networking pages.

UPDATE SCHEDULE
For now, only 1 update per day. Since I guess I'm in charge, the clock starts in the US Central Time Zone (I believe its GMT -8). As things pick up, we'll go to 2 a day, then 4 a day if needed. If we get to the point where 4 a day is still backing things up, we'll start grading content for quality and rejecting some of the weaker contributions/pushing forward "different" contributions. For example, if we've been getting a lot of metal updates and someone shoots an indie show, we'll throw that ahead of the queue to get some variety in the updates.

QUESTIONS
Ask away, I have two policies: 1) Be transparent. 2) Be Accessible. That said, I will answer any question regarding my plans for the site, and will put any major decision up for discussion. With that, my Email is BSemisch(at)Gmail.com, I get it on my phone and check it probably around 15-20 times a day, so an answer should never take too terribly long unless I'm sleeping or shooting.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
feedback.photography (at) gmail (dot) com

Wordpress account name is feedbackphoto, I'll sign up to shoot and write a few articles here and there. If we can get this up quickly enough to get me shooting Gorillaz in December there will be big sloppy blowjobs all round.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ooooook, let's try this again.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

And my Wordpress username is 2ndclassphotography

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A lot of the shows I cover are "pay 10 bucks see a ton of bands in a small space" kinda shows. Would I just pick out the headliner to submit or pick out the best couple of bands in the lineup and submit those?

I'm asking because I rarely shoot single band shows

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

2) An EP/Album Review.
-Include a shot of the album art or a promo of the band, with a link to purchase/legally download it. Post the review on the day of/after the album drops, no sooner.

I disagree with the last part of this, but only if you can legally obtain a copy. It's really a lot easier than people think to get a press release copy of an album before it comes out. I get ones in the mail that I didn't even ask for. Heck, I still get them at my parent's house back in Michigan. I usually have a few random CD's waiting for me when I go home each time. I've gotten press release copies upwards of 2 months before the album comes out, sometimes it's literally a burnt cd, no packaging, nothing.

That being said, if you do request a press copy of an album it literally can go absolutely no where. No sending rips to friends, no burning copies and definitely no :filez:. It's not unusual for PR companies to put a watermark on promo copies so that if it leaks they can trace exactly where the copy came from. I do not care how much you trust your friend do not give it to him.

I've made an account under my email rockcityphoto at gmail dot com.

I'm not sure I want to be an editor per se, but I'd like to make myself available for advice with anything concerning working with PR and general contacts as I've been shooting shows for 7 years and I have a reasonable amount of experience with getting passes and dealing with PR reps in general. If I get some time this weekend, I'll probably put together a list of some of the better contacts I have right now so that we can put it on a hidden page somewhere that can be updated as our contact database.

pr0digal posted:

A lot of the shows I cover are "pay 10 bucks see a ton of bands in a small space" kinda shows. Would I just pick out the headliner to submit or pick out the best couple of bands in the lineup and submit those?

I'm asking because I rarely shoot single band shows

There really aren't single band shows anymore, that doesn't really happen. I personally see no problem including more than one band in a post as far as I'm concerned. It's pretty common that openers these days are just as big as the headliners too.

Oh and thanks for the compliments on my Warped Tour shots.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 6, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Here is I Call Fives, a really great pop-punk band out of New Jersey. Hopefully I'll have more photos from this show up tonight. They played an acoustic set because their band broke down in New York.

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4866789492/

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Ooooook, let's try this again.

And my Wordpress username is 2ndclassphotography

You're set-up.

quote:

Covering Multi-Band Shows

I thought about this, but I feel like it might dilutes the coverage. If we're updating twice a day, that's 14 updates a week. If everyone covers 4 bands an update that's 56 new bands to check out. I think it'd be better if you just picked the band you liked best from the night, or the ones whose pictures turned out the best. While the site's goal is for us to get into big shows, we need to have some level of "Coverage". I'd rather see a well-thought out focused review than a shot-gun of coverage. If for some reason you feel like 2 or more of the bands were worth covering, than feel free to submit them as separate updates, preferably by doing a concert review of one band, and an interview of another, and maybe an album review of the third.

quote:

Press copies for reviews.
This was on my radar too, and I agree it's crazy easy to get press copies well in advance. However, since most of the bands we're going to be covering are likely bands the majority of our readers have never heard of, if we cover something that people can't go "That sounds cool I'm gonna download it" the odds of them actually remembering to go get it are REALLY SLIM. If people still don't like that, I'll ammend the rule and say that you can pre-review an album on 2 conditions: 1) They're an established, big name band. And/Or 2) They give us a single that we can release to our readers as a free download.

Back on topic:
http://www.howardleight.com/trypilot_form/

Fill out that form for some free ear-plugs.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 7, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I am shooting my first show tonight as a member of the Sound Surveillance Photo Cult.

I'll let you know how it goes, bringing the big guns, the 70-200 2.8 IS and the 24-70 2.8 for this bitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNloHFi9lLU&feature=player_embedded

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 8, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

This was on my radar too, and I agree it's crazy easy to get press copies well in advance. However, since most of the bands we're going to be covering are likely bands the majority of our readers have never heard of, if we cover something that people can't go "That sounds cool I'm gonna download it" the odds of them actually remembering to go get it are REALLY SLIM. If people still don't like that, I'll ammend the rule and say that you can pre-review an album on 2 conditions: 1) They're an established, big name band. And/Or 2) They give us a single that we can release to our readers as a free download.

I agree for smaller bands, but I'd say for anyone who has fairly common recognition, getting the review out beforehand is better than the day it releases and publicists seem to like it when it's out ahead of time.

The other thing to consider is tour previews for larger package tours. Publicists eat that up. I can't tell you how many times I got asked if I could do a tour preview when I worked for the newspaper at my university.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm shooting a local band tonight that's headed out on tour after this. They've been on two or three tours of the US in the last year or so. If it turns out well, I might submit it. It's a new club though so who knows how the lighting is going to be.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I've got some spare shots from an album launch from a local band last night, might throw them in. Is there a guide on how to upload?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Bah. So much for that. Dismal lighting, tough sightlines. Maybe I can work some magic in post.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

If I didn't suck at writing reviews, I'd be all over this.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I've got a lot of chances to get some good stuff today - so if I don't screw it all up, hopefully I should have something to submit.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
What every photographer wants to hear when a show starts:

"Can we turn the house lights off on the stage and in the front? Thanks."

Not happy with these.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunx17/sets/72157624677449616/

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Going through my photos from last night. Argh. Chicks with fat shoulders and big hair. Why must you always get in the way of killer photos?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

dunkman posted:

Not happy with these.
But the ones you posted look great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
The high ISO abilities of the 5D mark II and my 85mm f/1.8 really saved my rear end for this acoustic set.

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4874118318/in/set-72157624683707586/