Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Hazed_blue posted:

The situation here is a little different, since our studios are both owned by the same company. Along with that, my current studio has actually been doing some of their outsourcing work to help out, so they already have a good impression of me. It is curious that they wouldn't go to one of the internal artists, but after talking to them all, it sounds like none of them want to be the lead. They are all very happy doing actual art, and don't seem to have an interest in the management side of it.

That makes sense then. One of my friends was in that position in Canada when he transfered companies which were all owned by one studio technically speaking. (Nelvana) Legally speaking, it was all separate studios but owned by the same handful of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetWidget
Aug 13, 2005
A Storm's a Brewin'!

Click for bigger! My first real model/render and a huge leap forward for me in terms of getting familiar with 3DS Max. I used this tutorial.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
If you're a CG nerd and TD, you're going to love this:

http://magnuswrenninge.com/volumetricmethods

Now I wanna go write myself a volumetric renderer :madmax:

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Nullkigan posted:

For some reason I really like this.

Make the hinges on the outer plates a bit larger. They're tiny in comparison to the solid block of material they have to support.

The connections to the central plate are also small and easily damaged. You appear to be allowing them to rotate side to side as well as up and down - intentional? If not, I'd continue the arms to just past the pins as well as slightly increasing the size of said pins.

Thanks for the comments! I enlarged the hinges and the center connections. They're supposed to only rotate up and down; I've added some more detail in that area, but still needs more. Just started adding more floaters and whatnot. I'm hoping to have it almost done tomorrow and be able to start working on the low poly by Thursday.

Click here for the full 582x756 image.

My portfolio is really lacking in textural stuff so I concepted some sci-fi tiles/panels to work up.

I need to look into how to get some nice reflections to really bring out that they're metal. Also need to repair the outer seam on the normal of this first one.

And just started another:

le capitan fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 4, 2010

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness
My first project using Mudbox. I'll keep my opinions of the program to myself for now.

I'm really interested in goon/industry opinions of Mudbox. How about Mudbox vs. Zbrush?

Click here for the full 1200x1500 image.

C&C appreciated on the piece as well. It's an editorial illustration of chronic glomerulonephritis (The kidney becomes pale, forms granulations and contracts. Healthy kidney is in the background for comparison)
Used Mudbox, 3ds max and composite in Photoshop

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
Personally I love mudbox as its hugely easy to use and you can just jump right in on it. It does seem to have a few limitations though. As to your render I like the materials and models, but the lighting seems wrong to me. Its so dark you can't really see what you're meant to be looking at and medical stuff always seems to be so clean and bright. Just my opinion of course.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
loving XForms. :argh: Spending the morning trying to figure out why an exported OBJ was only copying across some of the smoothing group settings but not all, and it was the XForm on the original Max mesh. I really wish I could just understand what in the hell goes wrong in a mesh where it looks perfectly fine, but has all kinds of hidden errors that will gently caress over your geometry when you try to run it through any procedure short of just looking at it in the viewport.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

polarbear_terrorist posted:

C&C appreciated on the piece as well. It's an editorial illustration of chronic glomerulonephritis (The kidney becomes pale, forms granulations and contracts. Healthy kidney is in the background for comparison)

Your healthy kidney seems a bit too irregular to me, normal kidneys don't bulge so much. The divisions you've sculpted between what I assume are the lobes appear too exaggerated for the normal kidney and look more like lobated or lobulated kidney, which occurs when the fetal appearance of the kidney is retained in adulthood. If you smoothed it out, that would also help with the contrast to the contraction of the diseased kidney. It would probably also help with identification if you rotated the kidney to expose the hilus and show the profile of the organ more. Also, the capsule is not vascular if I remember correctly.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I thought working with radial motion blur was hot poo poo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6I4OdGgMd0&f

Pretty cool stuff.

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness

enginedriver posted:

Personally I love mudbox as its hugely easy to use and you can just jump right in on it. It does seem to have a few limitations though. As to your render I like the materials and models, but the lighting seems wrong to me. Its so dark you can't really see what you're meant to be looking at and medical stuff always seems to be so clean and bright. Just my opinion of course.

I'm glad you mentioned something about the lighting. I've never had a class or really good instruction on creating a dynamic lighting scene, so I'm going to make it a goal to research more (and maybe try to take a class).

I did choose to go with a dark theme because of the editorial feel. Glomerulonephritis is a pretty nasty kidney disease (especially since the symptoms are common, such as high blood pressure).
Also, all of my classmates did white/light grey backgrounds and I wanted to be different.

Thanks for the input :)

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness

Listerine posted:

Your healthy kidney seems a bit too irregular to me, normal kidneys don't bulge so much. The divisions you've sculpted between what I assume are the lobes appear too exaggerated for the normal kidney and look more like lobated or lobulated kidney, which occurs when the fetal appearance of the kidney is retained in adulthood. If you smoothed it out, that would also help with the contrast to the contraction of the diseased kidney. It would probably also help with identification if you rotated the kidney to expose the hilus and show the profile of the organ more. Also, the capsule is not vascular if I remember correctly.

For this project, the class used Osirix to pull out the 3d model from a CT scan (from a healthy patient on Osirix's website). Interestingly enough, I didn't really alter the kidney shape.

I did pull out the shape a small bit, but it was to help expose the lobes (if you look at most medical illustrations, the lobes are exaggerated for educational purposes. I've opened a body before as well and yeah, kidneys don't look like that- especially after being dead for awhile).

I'd disagree that the hilus view would be more informative, since normally the ureter, veins and arteries would be coming out there and block most of the kidney. I'm amazed at how flat the kidneys are! Normally you see them in illustrations (and in dead people) as these contracted little balls.
*Edit* Ok, thinking more about it, it wouldn't be such a bad view for a small rotation (not a full on hilus view like I kept thinking for some reason), especially if the ureter, veins and arteries were there. Because they're not there in my illustration right now, it would just be blank space. I'd like to go back and add in the missing pieces though.

Also, consulting good ol' Gray's Anatomy, there are vessels in the thin fibrous capsule.

If you want to PM about this, I'd be happy to chat more about it.
Do you do medical/science illustrations?

polarbear_terrorist fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 6, 2010

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

I did pull out the shape a small bit, but it was to help expose the lobes (if you look at most medical illustrations, the lobes are exaggerated for educational purposes. I've opened a body before as well and yeah, kidneys don't look like that- especially after being dead for awhile).

I've only ever looked at them in a cadaver, so there you go.

*Edit* Ok, thinking more about it, it wouldn't be such a bad view for a small rotation

Yeah that's what I was suggesting, since right now you don't see any of the hilus at all. A little rotation so that you can see the actual crescent shape would help a lot. Right now your perspective view emphasizes the top half of the organ making it look top heavy. Of course maybe that particular person had a kidney that was larger in the upper half than the lower, but my experience has been that kidneys are fairly equal in size across the axial plane.

Also, consulting good ol' Gray's Anatomy, there are vessels in the thin fibrous capsule.

Aren't the vessels a small network of capillaries or really small venules, nothing large enough to actually see with the naked eye as individual vessels, and are deep to the capsule in any event? I didn't think there were any vessels actually running within the thickness of the capsule, but I might be thinking of the liver though. I don't do medical illustration- I have a degree in Anatomy and Neurobiology but I took gross and histology over ten years ago and haven't been inside a cadaver in about six. I'm a neuroscientist who does anatomy work in the brain- I haven't thought about anything outside the cerebral cortex in half a decade so I'm hugely rusty on this and could very well be wrong or confused.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Man I'd really like to slap a few of the people on Cinema Discussion.

*sigh*

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Geared Hub posted:

*sigh*

Erm, ok.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Geared Hub posted:

*sigh*

Any thread in particular?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Here's something that I have been wondering for a while. Are there any tools that let you animate or switch between two different skin weights on a model?

Kingsbury
Mar 28, 2010

by angerbot

Geared Hub posted:

*sigh*

Animation is not film.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
Hurray for 7 day work weeks(and 10 hour days) :suicide:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ratmann posted:

Hurray for 7 day work weeks(and 10 hour days) :suicide:

Ouch how long have you been on that for? I just came off of 3 months of 12 hour 6 day weeks finishing up Sucker Punch. Apparently the next project will be much more civilized hours. Or so they promise now...

notaninjaedit: For me though I go crazy if I lose that one day off a week. Its the only thing that keeps me sane towards the end of a project.

mashed fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 8, 2010

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

Ouch how long have you been on that for? I just came off of 3 months of 12 hour 6 day weeks finishing up Sucker Punch. Apparently the next project will be much more civilized hours. Or so they promise now...

notaninjaedit: For me though I go crazy if I lose that one day off a week. Its the only thing that keeps me sane towards the end of a project.

Yeah I was on the 6 days for the last month, this is the final push, so about 3 weeks only. It's a Halo commercial so we gotta finish before the release date of the game :v:

btw, saw the trailer for it, can't wait for it, even though I have no loving idea what I just saw.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah yes, "crunch time".

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've been working between 10 - 14 hour days for the last couple of weeks.
3 weeks left on the project so more to look forward to. Awesome

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Kingsbury posted:

Animation is not film.

As for the animation thread, that's a cool thread, I wasn't complaining about that. It's when the serious film threads go off on a big tangent related to its vfx which is completely incorrect but I can't really say anything about it. Its kind of maddening.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 8, 2010

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ratmann posted:

Yeah I was on the 6 days for the last month, this is the final push, so about 3 weeks only. It's a Halo commercial so we gotta finish before the release date of the game :v:

btw, saw the trailer for it, can't wait for it, even though I have no loving idea what I just saw.

Even having worked on it I also have no idea what is going on. We did the Samurai sequence so I have no idea what the rest of it is all about.

I'm pretty much used to crunch time now. I plan for the last 2 - 3 months of any movie getting progressively worse. At least Vancouver has decent OT policies for the most part so you can take time off afterwards.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Toronto seems to be the heart of overtime/billing abuses in the industry, in Canada at least. Vancouver is a much better city with studios getting higher profile work and better work environments.

One of my friends works at a studio in Ontario.

At his current job, they implemented some sort of login based time card system. Where the system logs you out after 30 minutes of inactivity [a problem with dailies, meetings and lunch]. It's difficult to change the time after the fact. They also introduced this system with no announcement.

Previously the company had paid lunch, since Ontario law allows for paid breaks every few hours. Many workplaces eliminate the breaks and combine them into a paid lunch hour allowing for a nominal 9-5 workday. That's pretty nice, In California I don't get that so my nominal 8 hour day is 9-6.

I suspect one reason is the studio found out they could bypass the break rule and get their 1 hour of work back.

The problem is, many studios operate on some form of flex time. The idea is you may want to work late one night to get a problem fixed that occurred at 4pm. A TD will stay late and fix the problem and just come in late the next morning instead of billing OT.

Or someone can get extra work done on the weekend, if they were late. Or a team takes a long lunch and makes up hours later.

Now if the same people are nickled and dimed on time, theres no incentive to do anything extra. What? The pipeline broke? Sorry it's 6pm, quitting time I'll deal with it i the morning while you have 40 people sitting idle billing hours but not doing work while I figure out.

So production will have to eat issues like that or start actually paying out overtime.

Stuff like that works for call centers and most average jobs but something like tv/film production it can backfire on the people who implemented it.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 8, 2010

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
See I've got a different solution. If they don't pay me overtime, I just get the gently caress out and come in the next day to fix the problem, and if they don't like that, then good luck finding someone who'll want to do my job :waycool:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Ratmann posted:

See I've got a different solution. If they don't pay me overtime, I just get the gently caress out and come in the next day to fix the problem, and if they don't like that, then good luck finding someone who'll want to do my job :waycool:

Exactly.

I think last year was my record for overtime. I made almost as much on OT as I did on my Salary :psyboom:

I don't want to repeat that again. Money is nice but gently caress, so is having a life and not gaining 40 lbs last year living at work all week.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Geared Hub posted:

Exactly.

I think last year was my record for overtime. I made almost as much on OT as I did on my Salary :psyboom:

I don't want to repeat that again. Money is nice but gently caress, so is having a life and not gaining 40 lbs last year living at work all week.

Yeh dude, I've also got a new rule, morning workout is golden, no matter if I wake up late, I'll just go into work late. Gotta keep the body sane too.

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010

Geared Hub posted:

Exactly.

Paid overtime :negative:

I can't really complain I've hardly had to do any but "we don't pay overtime because its exploitable" isn't nice when half the company was doing weekends for months!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
We've only just recovered and got making a bit of profit again, but we've switched from hourly overtime to bonus based.
Job profit is skimmed off and divided up between the team/work done - which usually end up about half what paid overtime would be.

It does mean that the 2 guys who were spending loads of time hanging around but not doing much work get pretty much fuckall, and I tend to get a bit more cause i'm always expected to fix poo poo for some reason.
Word for word, on my job last week (when me and a couple of others were doing 14h days)
'yeah, I didnt do any overtime, the image isnt finished yet'
'you do know our deadline is first thing in the morning?'
'well, yeah - but you'd said you'd pretty much finished your bit so I thought you could help me out'

He's a senior here. Worst loving guy ever.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 9, 2010

Cornlight
May 15, 2004
I have a pretty beginner level question for you guys - I'm trying to model my tv but I neglected to make the bottom side completely flat because I was working off of my reference images. What can I do to fix this? I tried using the melt modifier but it rounded off the edges strangely around the part that I'm trying to flatten out..

front:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

side:

top:

melted:

(using 3ds max 9)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Max has a snap to axis button in the tools, so you can flatten that out. Honestly though, that's not too good a way to model things.

You could probably stand to use lower poly to model the thing first, then apply a meshsmooth/turbosmooth modifier on top.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

SynthOrange posted:

You could probably stand to use lower poly to model the thing first, then apply a meshsmooth/turbosmooth modifier on top.

Very true. Start with a box with, say, one or two segments in each side. Move those out to form the rough shape of the box, then apply a turbosmooth (or similar), tick 'seperate: smoothing groups', and voila.

In fact here:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

cubicle gangster posted:

'well, yeah - but you'd said you'd pretty much finished your bit so I thought you could help me out'

He's a senior here. Worst loving guy ever.

Teamwork! :haw:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 9, 2010

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Ratmann posted:

Yeh dude, I've also got a new rule, morning workout is golden, no matter if I wake up late, I'll just go into work late. Gotta keep the body sane too.

That's what I do right now, min 1 hour of cardio first thing in the morning after a cup of coffee. I've lost 30 lbs in the last few months so far. Gets me up wide awake for work instead of arriving in a tired stupor. Of course its easy this year to recover, I've had zero overtime this year...

I mean.. the occasional late night to get something kicked out for the next morning then sleep in day, sure, but no mad hours.. at least yet.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 9, 2010

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ratmann posted:

I think my bike ride to work is what keeps me from keeling over at my desk during OT. I try and go for a walk at lunch too. Sitting down for 12 hours seems to be amazingly bad for you. Thant and the magic fridge that fills itself with pop and juice...

I just looked at the breakdown for the next show and i'm actually amazed that there is this much time bid on it. This quiet show dream might actualy come true :woop:

Cornlight
May 15, 2004

KiddieGrinder posted:

Very true. Start with a box with, say, one or two segments in each side. Move those out to form the rough shape of the box, then apply a turbosmooth (or similar), tick 'seperate: smoothing groups', and voila.
Teamwork! :haw:
Wow that's a million times better/faster than how I was doing it with soft selections. Thanks a ton :)

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
Some lovely day when I get my first job in the industry I'll get to enjoy the long hours and the possibility of not getting paid for over time. I know I'll hate it later, but for now I'm kinda looking forward to it. :allears:

Almost done with the hi-poly. Still want to add some asymmetrical details like maybe some decals and a vent or two. I feel like it's a bit too mirrored right now.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
You guys really make me glad I didn't get into 3DCG professionally, lol. Non-profit in-house for the win.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Geared Hub posted:

Toronto seems to be the heart of overtime/billing abuses in the industry, in Canada at least. Vancouver is a much better city with studios getting higher profile work and better work environments.

One of my friends works at a studio in Ontario.

At his current job, they implemented some sort of login based time card system. Where the system logs you out after 30 minutes of inactivity [a problem with dailies, meetings and lunch]. It's difficult to change the time after the fact. They also introduced this system with no announcement.

Previously the company had paid lunch, since Ontario law allows for paid breaks every few hours. Many workplaces eliminate the breaks and combine them into a paid lunch hour allowing for a nominal 9-5 workday. That's pretty nice, In California I don't get that so my nominal 8 hour day is 9-6.

I suspect one reason is the studio found out they could bypass the break rule and get their 1 hour of work back.

The problem is, many studios operate on some form of flex time. The idea is you may want to work late one night to get a problem fixed that occurred at 4pm. A TD will stay late and fix the problem and just come in late the next morning instead of billing OT.

Or someone can get extra work done on the weekend, if they were late. Or a team takes a long lunch and makes up hours later.

Now if the same people are nickled and dimed on time, theres no incentive to do anything extra. What? The pipeline broke? Sorry it's 6pm, quitting time I'll deal with it i the morning while you have 40 people sitting idle billing hours but not doing work while I figure out.

So production will have to eat issues like that or start actually paying out overtime.

Stuff like that works for call centers and most average jobs but something like tv/film production it can backfire on the people who implemented it.

That sounds like Nerd Corps here in vancouver. They have a system that literally puts alerts on your screen that change color as time goes saying "you are late with your shot" Of course they have retarded impossible quotas.

I know a couple people who had nervous breakdowns there.

I am currently working on set and goddamn do I love it. Free breakfast and lunch and fully stocked kitchen that look like costco. My next gig is going to suck after getting used to this.
:v:

In other news zbrush 4 is out but good luck loading the webpage its getting raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

keyframe posted:

In other news zbrush 4 is out but good luck loading the webpage its getting raped.

I'm anxiously waiting for it :v: