Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
The Scream Trilogy is coming out this coming Tuesday in Canada. It's 1080i with no extras as is the custom with Alliance, but considering we're not likely to get it in the United States for a long-rear end time, it may be worth importing (CDPlus.com has it for a mere $25). They'll be a step up from the DVD's no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

doctor thodt posted:

Humanoids From the Deep reviewed. I don't know why I've never seen this, but based on those screenshots, it's clear I have to rectify this situation immediately.

It's so, so terrible. It's great.

D'serius
May 24, 2003

Forums Armorer
Ugh, this thread and Doctor Thodt have cost me so much money. Seriously every time i catch up on this thread it's Amazon order time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Escape From New York reviewed x2
Is this a new transfer? I haven't heard such stellar things for the Blu Ray before.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Bambi posted:

The Scream Trilogy is coming out this coming Tuesday in Canada. It's 1080i with no extras as is the custom with Alliance, but considering we're not likely to get it in the United States for a long-rear end time, it may be worth importing (CDPlus.com has it for a mere $25). They'll be a step up from the DVD's no matter what.

Since they are currently working on Scream 4 I would wait until after that comes out and see if they release a box set.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Harlock posted:

Is this a new transfer? I haven't heard such stellar things for the Blu Ray before.

It's new. The consensus seems to be that it's vastly better/more accurate than the UK Blu-Ray (which is believed to be an upscale), and probably as good as the film is ever likely to look due to issues with the source elements.

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Since they are currently working on Scream 4 I would wait until after that comes out and see if they release a box set.

Scream 1-3 are Miramax properties which aren't getting jack poo poo for releases until the new owners work out a home video distribution deal. Don't hold your breath.

Robocop Trilogy officially announced for October 5.

The Bridge on the River Kwai may come out in late September - much earlier than originally expected.

The Sopranos Season 2 is rumored for an October release.

In the UK, Optimum is releasing Nausicaa Valley of the Wind, Ong Bak 3 and a Guillermo del Toro box set that includes The Devil’s Backbone, Cronos and Pan's Labyrinth all in October.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

The Battlestar Galactica: Complete Series boxset is on sale at Amazon. $132.99, that's about $70 off the normal price elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036EH3U2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0036EH3U2

Just a heads up, this ends tomorrow.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Sporadic posted:

Just a heads up, this ends tomorrow.

Dammit, I already have the entire series on dvd, I'm still on the fence whether it's worth it to upgrade.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

(Regarding Grindhouse)
Fingers crossed that that is the slipcover and the actual cover is better.

Called it. Amazon put up the real artwork today along with the slipcover. :)

Not amazing but better.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Sporadic posted:

Not amazing but better.

Um, I fail to see how this is better at all.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I am not taking that slipcover off.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah that is awful, and I liked the slipcover.

Doesn't matter to me since I already have the good half of the movie on Blu

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Guess it's a matter of opinion. I would rather have a old movie theater front with the original posters (even if it does have flaming Rose McGowan on the top) instead of GRINDHOHOUSEGRGGRINDHOHOUSEGR

Also an actual blu-ray case instead of a digipack is nice.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
White people problems: which Ozu Blu-Ray to watch first?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

doctor thodt posted:

White people problems: which Ozu Blu-Ray to watch first?

I refuse to believe you're not black and holding two guns at all times.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

morestuff posted:

Marlo Stanfield doesn't seem like an Ozu guy to me.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I ordered A Prophet Monday because it owns and I've been tracking my package and it's been in Phoenix all week Amazon :argh:

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Blind-bought A Prophet and watched last night. God drat, what a movie. One of the best-looking BD's I own too.

The Girl Who Played With Fire 10/26

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

morestuff posted:

And shooting your avatar.

More to the blu-point, I am on the fence regarding a couple of blu-rays about the afterlife: Beetlejuice and Silent Hill (with Martyrs a given upon release). I've read reviews for Beetlejuice that say the only real downside is the more apparent outlines during green-screen scenes, otherwise it's sharper with better color. Silent Hill is a given visually, I just need to find the right price since I'm upgrading from dvd. If anyone wants to hype or gossip either of those up, I'm all ears.

...but seriously, when Martyrs blu-ray hits, activate my air siren if it doesn't go off automatically. I can walk through my house without fear of robbers or monsters, but if I walk up a dark staircase, my mind knows some tall, starved, tortured lady will jump me from just outside my blind spot and screech the whole time :ohdear:

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 8, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Sporadic posted:

Not amazing but better.

That's basically the standee they released for the movie when it was in theaters. I don't mind it, save for ROSE MCGOWEN! EXPLOSIONS!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bambi posted:

Blind-bought A Prophet and watched last night. God drat, what a movie. One of the best-looking BD's I own too.

The Girl Who Played With Fire 10/26

Best sock filled with hard stuff beat-down since Full Metal jacket.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Space Fish posted:

Beetlejuice
I really liked the transfer of Beetlejuice and thought it looked great. Most 80s movies get flak for looking soft or not having a good enough transfer - but I view this one pretty highly.

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

Harlock posted:

I really liked the transfer of Beetlejuice and thought it looked great. Most 80s movies get flak for looking soft or not having a good enough transfer - but I view this one pretty highly.
Yeah, I thought it was fairly solid as well. It is what it is visually, which might not be inherently spectacular, but it definitely blows the doors off the DVD and I don't regret picking it up.

There are a bunch of screenshots of the Blu-ray here:
http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/screenshots/beetlejuice?movieid=860

thethuthinnang
Feb 3, 2004

cool as heck
I finally made the switch. I'm mostly looking for horror but nearly everything on my wish list that I don't already own on DVD isn't out on Blu-Ray yet. I'll probably replace my Cabin Fever, Planet Terror, Hellraiser and The Thing DVDs with the Blu-Ray. Any other horror suggestions?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

thethuthinnang posted:

I finally made the switch. I'm mostly looking for horror but nearly everything on my wish list that I don't already own on DVD isn't out on Blu-Ray yet. I'll probably replace my Cabin Fever, Planet Terror, Hellraiser and The Thing DVDs with the Blu-Ray. Any other horror suggestions?
Dawn of the Dead (both versions), and the original Day of the Dead are all upgrades over their DVDs. I've heard good things about the original Nightmare on Elm Street and the Fly too.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is an upgrade even if it's not gonna look great due to the film's low-budget production, plus it's only $10 at Best Buy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thethuthinnang posted:

If you are getting Hellraiser, you might as well get the Hellraiser/Children Of The Corn bundle.

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Hellraiser-Blu-ray-Peter-Horton/dp/B002U6CJQK

Dawn Of The Dead, Dawn Of The Dead (2004), Day Of The Dead and Shaun Of The Dead are also all worth an upgrade if you like those movies.

- edit Creepshow is also surprisingly good looking.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 8, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All of the suggestions so far have been pretty solid. I'd also check out anything by Blue Underground (City of the Living Dead, The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Dead & Buried, etc.) if you're into that sort of thing. Here's a list of all the stuff I've got that hasn't been mentioned yet (most of which I'd recommend):

28 Weeks Later
All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (UK import)
An American Werewolf in London
Army of Darkness (some DNR present here, but still the best the movie has ever looked)
Audition
Cloverfield
The Crazies (the original and the remake are both pretty good discs)
Dead Snow
The Descent
Dog Soldiers (not a huge upgrade over DVD, but can be obtained pretty cheap)
Drag Me to Hell (reference grade disc)
Friday the 13th (1980)
From Dusk til Dawn (Canadian import)(no extras but very good pq/aq)
Funny Games (UK import)
Halloween (1978)(this has received some terrible reviews. ignore them.)
Hardware
Hidden (Caché)(UK import)
The Host
House of the Devil
Ichi the Killer (pretty bad disc)
Let the Right One In (safe to buy now that the subs have been fixed)
The Lost Boys
The Midnight Meat Train
Misery
The Mist
The New York Ripper
The Omen (1976)
Orphan
The Orphanage
Poltergeist
Pontypool (UK import)
Repulsion
The Sixth Sense
The Stendhal Syndrome
Trick 'r Treat
Twilight Zone: The Movie
The Wolfman (another reference disc)

There's also some pretty decent stuff coming out within the next few months:

The Alien Anthology
The Evil Dead
The Exorcist
High Tension
House
Jacob's Ladder
Psycho
Return of the Living Dead
Splice

The Blair Witch Project is coming out this month, but much like 28 Days Later, I can't imagine it'll be much of an improvement over the DVD.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Halloween (1978)(this has received some terrible reviews. ignore them.)
I've always been on the fence about buying Halloween. It's my favorite horror movie, but all of the reviews just kill the transfer/disc.

What about it do you think the reviews have been wrong about?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you're interested in starting with Blu-Ray, Best Buy has a mega sale this week of Blus for $10. A lot of crap, but there's a bunch of quality titles in there, too. I think I saw the 2004 Dawn in there

http://tinyurl.com/2fncnon

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harlock posted:

I've always been on the fence about buying Halloween. It's my favorite horror movie, but all of the reviews just kill the transfer/disc.

What about it do you think the reviews have been wrong about?

The only really negative review I can recall is this one where Bracke gave it 1.5 out of 5 stars simply due to some minor issues with the color timing. Suffice it to say the guy's kind of a lunatic, though to be fair he eventually acknowledged that "setting aside the color timing issues mentioned above, this is a generally strong transfer."

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
As someone who has owned no less than 8 versions of Halloween (between betamax, VHS, laserdisc, and DVD editions) I can say with some authority that Bracke is being a twat. The Digimax DVD version admittedly does have some color timing issues and the blu-ray definitely uses the same print. However, the color is VASTLY superior in the blu-ray to that DVD release and actually restores (albeit subtly) the blue hues that were "missing" from some of the night time scenes. The blu-ray is sharp, sounds great, and is from a print that was obviously given a lot of care by Starz/Anchor bay. It's so cheap now too, there's no reason not to grab it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, chiming in to agree that the Halloween disc looks so drat good that it overwhelms the color timing issue.

It doesn't look NEARLY as old as it actually is, it's actually kind of jarring when you turn it on.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/coming-soon/blu-ray-screengrab-gallery-studio-canal-collection-wave-three-07-08-10

Quick mini-reviews of StudioCanal's The Third Man, The Graduate, Delicatessen, and Muholland Drive.

The Third Man isn't a travesty, but it's noticeably less defined than Criterion's edition. The Graduate seems to be a big improvement over MGM's edition, though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/coming-soon/blu-ray-screengrab-gallery-studio-canal-collection-wave-three-07-08-10

Quick mini-reviews of StudioCanal's The Third Man, The Graduate, Delicatessen, and Muholland Drive.

The Third Man isn't a travesty, but it's noticeably less defined than Criterion's edition. The Graduate seems to be a big improvement over MGM's edition, though.

Whoa, they not only added a scene selection but a random scene selection to the Mulholland Dr. disc? I imagine David Lynch will be pissed if he ever finds out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sporadic posted:

Whoa, they not only added a scene selection but a random scene selection to the Mulholland Dr. disc? I imagine David Lynch will be pissed if he ever finds out.

It's been a while since I've seen this movie, but why would this piss him off? He has the attitude of thinking his work is perfect and must be enjoyed from start to finish?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Ineffiable posted:

It's been a while since I've seen this movie, but why would this piss him off? He has the attitude of thinking his work is perfect and must be enjoyed from start to finish?

Pretty much that exactly:

quote:

The Region 1 DVD of the movie does not feature "chapters"; attempting to "skip" to the next scene or chapter takes you to the "DVD" logo animation at the very end of the movie after all the credits and ratings and so forth. Director David Lynch requested this himself, as he has done on previous releases, such as The Straight Story (1999). By allowing the film to be on one chapter, Lynch believes people will be more inclined to view the feature in one sitting, as intended.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

morestuff posted:

Pretty much that exactly:

Makes sense. He does make some pretty good movies (and a tv show), but thats an unusual attitude to take to your own works. Couldn't you at least fast foward on that DVD?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ineffiable posted:

Makes sense. He does make some pretty good movies (and a tv show), but thats an unusual attitude to take to your own works. Couldn't you at least fast foward on that DVD?

You could fast forward on the DVD and I know the French HD-DVD had a bookmark feature. Still, it's strange they would add a scene selection when they (Studio Canal) are on good terms with Lynch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
He just didn't want people skipping to the sex scene.

• Locked thread