Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

CaptainScraps posted:

But I like quoting opposing counsel's documents as much as possible and I don't want the judge to think I'm dumb :(

Some opposing counsel douche was quoting a brief I wrote and he [sic]ed all this stuff that wasn't wrong and it was fuckin infuriating.

so that's a way to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

True story, I was assaulted today at work. FUN FUN

Stories! C'mon, dish.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Stories! C'mon, dish.

Sorry I guess that was douche, my boss assaulted me (no lasting physical damage). I'd rather not give too many details as I might file with the police.

I'm convinced she's a psychopath and a bit worried for my family at this point :/

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

billion dollar bitch posted:

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Dont be having a go at him guys. BDB's really a p cool dude and he even lent me earplugs for an exam but i didnt much care for them; too soft + i could hear the beating of my heart which made me conscious of the fact that one day i will die and that despite this I'm wasting time taking a property exam

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Sorry I guess that was douche, my boss assaulted me (no lasting physical damage). I'd rather not give too many details as I might file with the police.

I'm convinced she's a psychopath and a bit worried for my family at this point :/

Jesus dude, that sucks. I dodged a stapler when I was an undergrad clerk.

Sue the bitch.

Alternately, if she gets in close, a properly thrown elbow will break whatever it hits.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 6, 2010

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

evilweasel posted:

The answer is always, always, Ikea.

The Brooklyn Ikea has an average 1 1/2 star review on Google so apparently it's an awful place.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Feces Starship posted:

Dont be having a go at him guys. BDB's really a p cool dude and he even lent me earplugs for an exam but i didnt much care for them; too soft + i could hear the beating of my heart which made me conscious of the fact that one day i will die and that despite this I'm wasting time taking a property exam

Fun story: I know someone who worked at a bank who had a metal trash can thrown at their head. Fortunately they were nimble. Good luck with not letting your family die.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Holland Oats posted:

The Brooklyn Ikea has an average 1 1/2 star review on Google so apparently it's an awful place.

1 1/2 stars is pretty high class for Brooklyn.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Holland Oats posted:

Nah, it's not that bad. Bit of a wait to it but my girlfriend decked out our apartment plumb severe for not much cash. You should remember however that you either need to pay an arm and a leg for delivery if you don't have your own method for hauling out your things. It's best if you have a bro with a truck or an SUV to help.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

CaptainScraps posted:

Man, if we're not accredited, SMU, Baylor, Texas Tech, U Houston, South Texas College of Law, St. Mary's, TWU and Thurgood Marshall are going to throw up their hands in celebration. drat it, I know I'm missing one.

UNT law school :chord:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GamingHyena posted:

UNT law school :chord:

Hahahaha that's right, the law school that passed and doesn't have funding.

gently caress it GH, want to go apply as professors?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Jesus dude, that sucks. I dodged a stapler when I was an undergrad clerk.

Sue the bitch.

Alternately, if she gets in close, a properly thrown elbow will break whatever it hits.

The best part was when the CEO blamed me for it. I resigned. :(

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

The best part was when the CEO blamed me for it. I resigned. :(
As you should
Eagerly awaiting details once your giant settlement goes through

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3331164

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Summer associate 10-week fattening up program over. I have an offer; please tell me why this is a bad thing and why I should feel bad about myself

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

qwertyman posted:

Summer associate 10-week fattening up program over. I have an offer; please tell me why this is a bad thing and why I should feel bad about myself

it's not at all

motherfuckers told me that I had no reason not to worry about getting an offer in my final review so why not just give me the drat thing now so I can relax instead of waiting till next week

Also, it's time for hitting the gym every day to get rid of this gut I've developed.

Iridox
Feb 5, 2004

Any opinions on new vs. used textbooks? There are some people on TLS saying they've heard to only use new books so you can mark everything up yourself. I suppose that makes sense...but I could get more bottles of whiskey each semester with the money I save on used books.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Iridox posted:

Any opinions on new vs. used textbooks? There are some people on TLS saying they've heard to only use new books so you can mark everything up yourself. I suppose that makes sense...but I could get more bottles of whiskey each semester with the money I save on used books.

Yeah, I mean who wants a book that already has all of the pertinent information for the class highlighted and noted? poo poo, I'd much rather pay extra for the privilege of wasting hours of my life doing that myself.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

GamingHyena posted:

Yeah, I mean who wants a book that already has all of the pertinent information for the class highlighted and noted? poo poo, I'd much rather pay extra for the privilege of wasting hours of my life doing that myself.

This. Get used, always. You save money, AND get it premarked. You are going to spend the time re-highlighting anyway when you make your outline. You'll absorb it better if you already know what to look for in class when you're getting it the first time.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

GamingHyena posted:

Counterpoint - I tend to get my used textbooks from people who highlight like they have an extra chromosome. Not every textbook was previously owned by the half blood prince.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

evilweasel posted:

it's not at all

motherfuckers told me that I had no reason not to worry about getting an offer in my final review so why not just give me the drat thing now so I can relax instead of waiting till next week

Also, it's time for hitting the gym every day to get rid of this gut I've developed.

Congrats. They gave me an offer with two days left in the program and all but explicitly encouraged me to pretty much take the last two days off. I don't think I showed up before 10 either day.

Course, the curtain will fall when I go back in a year or so, but the people there seemed to genuinely enjoy working with each other (for the most part) and we had a loving awesome class and hung out together outside the firm all the time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

qwertyman posted:

Congrats. They gave me an offer with two days left in the program and all but explicitly encouraged me to pretty much take the last two days off. I don't think I showed up before 10 either day.

Course, the curtain will fall when I go back in a year or so, but the people there seemed to genuinely enjoy working with each other (for the most part) and we had a loving awesome class and hung out together outside the firm all the time.

My last day I literally had finished all my work so I hosed around until 2:30 and then left early.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

Reading books where every second word is highlighted is irritating and distracting, I have no idea how people find that helpful

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

JudicialRestraints posted:

Counterpoint - I tend to get my used textbooks from people who highlight like they have an extra chromosome. Not every textbook was previously owned by the half blood prince.

Unless you're buying the book online, you can almost always flip through the book before you buy it. If some retard painted the book yellow with highlighter, just get another one.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

GamingHyena posted:

Unless you're buying the book online, you can almost always flip through the book before you buy it. If some retard painted the book yellow with highlighter, just get another one.

I buy online and it's more like "highlighting nonsensical dicta" or "highlighting random parts of the fact pattern"

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

There must be some 0L book that says "highlight facts in orange, holding in purple etc." I seem to see that.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

I buy online and it's more like "highlighting nonsensical dicta" or "highlighting random parts of the fact pattern"

That's why it only matters for 2L books and onward. For 1L books that's why you have casenotes/hornbooks/barbri review, etc.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Maybe you should reconsider buying online then? It seems like buying used textbooks locally would be the best of both worlds. You avoid paying full price for a textbook you'll never use again plus you get to see the condition of the book before you buy.

Edit:
On a related note, remember why you're buying the book in the first place. If you're buying a law school textbook to acquire information, you're doing law school wrong. Textbooks (and normally classes), especially you're 1L year, are designed to get you to "think like a lawyer" aka confuse the poo poo out of you with stupid rear end hypos that the professor never adequately answers. What you need to know to ace the exam is going to come from supplements and outlines.

That said, the actual purpose of buying a law school textbook is to easily access information when called upon in class. This is why having good highlighting is important, so your hungover rear end can quickly find the meat of Justice Bozo's dissent that you didn't read for your 8:00am torts class. This is why a well highlighted/noted book is so important, and why I always looked books over before I bought them.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 7, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I actually guffawed out loud at this and my dog is lookin at me like I'm a rere

Tetrix posted:

There must be some 0L book that says "highlight facts in orange, holding in purple etc." I seem to see that.

Yeah, I think it's Law School Confidential or Planet Law School or one of those that contains the crazy 4-colour highlighting system that every 1L adheres to for, like, the first three weeks

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

qwertyman posted:

evilweasel posted:

it's not at all

Finished my 13-week getting ripped as gently caress fed job Friday. I won't know if I have an offer for months, though.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 8, 2010

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
People actually use multiple highlighter colors?

(Then again, I'm still in undergrad)

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

GregNorc posted:

I did this. Then again, ask any of the posters from my school, I'm kinda broken in the head.

(p.s. it's actually a good idea but you shouldn't obsess over it. I just highlight important facts in yellow and the takeaway message in orange. Blue is occasionally used for discussing precedent but I normally don't give enough of a poo poo for that.)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't highlight, underline, or any of that poo poo. I also didn't really even open my books.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 20, 2017

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

GregNorc posted:

I never really highlighted at all. If I really wanted to remember something about a case I'd make a note of it, but I usually didn't read and if something came up in class it would be in my class notes.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This year I'm just going to pop the cases into Westlaw and steal the headnotes.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

GregNorc posted:

Has anyone made a program that will convert law documents to hypertext? That poo poo should be so cash, especially since they reference other areas of the document/other documents so loving often.
http://www.paradocsonline.com/services/bluecite

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

CaptainScraps posted:

This year I'm just going to pop the cases into Westlaw and steal the headnotes.

I like the Lexis briefs better normally.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I also didn't really even open my books.

Each semester, I would tear out each page of each textbook and stuff a mattress with the paper and some hickory chips. I then slept on the mattress, every night.
During pre-finals week, I used the contents of the mattress to slow roast a suckling pig, while breathing deeply of the smoke. Before each final, I would eat two pork sandwiches.
Worked fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

The whole 4-color highlight system for textbooks is kinda overdoing it. Using different highlights for a textbook can be a good idea, but I mostly use it to either break up huge slabs of text into two or more fairly independent parts, or because I'm too lazy to look for green highlight or whatever it was I used last time.

I did this. Then again, ask any of the posters from my school, I'm kinda broken in the head.

(p.s. it's actually a good idea but you shouldn't obsess over it. I just highlight important facts in yellow and the takeaway message in orange. Blue is occasionally used for discussing precedent but I normally don't give enough of a poo poo for that.)

I did the exact same thing, including blue for precedent. However, I used pink/orange for facts/takeaway. :gay:

lipstick thespian fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 8, 2010