Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Those are perfect I think. I am going to try tomorrow. I just rode a bunch without the speedometer, it is pretty pleasant. I can't be sure but I think I did about 100 miles which is the most I have done in a day. It may be more, how can I know haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ribsauce posted:

It may be more, how can I know haha
ah ha! Map it out in Google Maps. :)

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Picked up a 2005 with a mere 1600 miles on it a couple weeks ago. It's my first foray into the motorcycle world and boy, is it fun. I haven't taken any long distance trips yet but I've been exploring the more rural roads in nearby towns, as well as commuting up I-95 during the week. I'm pretty excited for my first long distance trip, it feels like anywhere but here will have some faster twistier roads. I recently got new tires to replace the stock ones that were on the bike, and it's probably confirmation bias but the bike seems to lean over even easier than before. I can see where people are coming from saying that it's underpowered, and I definitely have that lust for extra speed, but I'm quite happy to speed through corners effortlessly at the moment without worrying about applying too much throttle.

No questions or anything, just a proclamation of love for motorcycles :swoon:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Which tires did you get?

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I picked up Sport Demons, they're a little taller than stock but ninja250.org and the rest of the internet said they were a pretty nice tire, and the person I spoke with at the shop agreed with them/me. They certainly look a lot more aggressive than the OEM tires, at least. I don't know how they're supposed to feel in the first place, I couldn't tell that my old tires were bad, but I was worried because they were 5-6 years old. Likewise, I can't tell any sort of night versus day difference now, but I think they feel better?

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

I wasn't planning on getting a bike at the moment, but I just got an offer from a coworker...

2009 250 and his helmet for $2000.

I know its a bit late in season, but that seems like a really, really good price...

He bought the bike last summer, rode it a fair bit that year, but has only ridden it a half dozen times this year. I'm going to ask for more detail as to the mileage and maintenance done to it, but I doubt he's put much on the thing. Don't believe he's ever put it down either. I borrowed the bike to play with for a weekend last year and it seemed great then...

drat, I might be cutting it a bit close budgetwise for this, but it almost seems like I could flip this thing if I had to and make a few bucks in the process. Any thoughts?

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Wow that seems like a great deal. I've been lookin in the Seattle are for a while now and and can't find anything like that!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Mutar posted:

I wasn't planning on getting a bike at the moment, but I just got an offer from a coworker...

I know its a bit late in season, but that seems like a really, really good price...

He bought the bike last summer, rode it a fair bit that year, but has only ridden it a half dozen times this year. I'm going to ask for more detail as to the mileage and maintenance done to it, but I doubt he's put much on the thing. Don't believe he's ever put it down either. I borrowed the bike to play with for a weekend last year and it seemed great then...

drat, I might be cutting it a bit close budgetwise for this, but it almost seems like I could flip this thing if I had to and make a few bucks in the process. Any thoughts?

Whoa, do that. Now. Like, don't finish reading this sentence, go out and buy that immediately.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Mutar posted:

If you don't put that bike into your garage right now, I will come over and kick you in the nuts. And then put the bike in my garage.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

I'm just trying to figure out the financials for it, hopefully I'll be able to swing this. I'm hoping to get more information from him today as far as milage goes.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Shopping 250's right now :D :D

Why do I see so many used 250's priced ABOVE new prices?

fudsaf
Jan 29, 2010
I scoured the thread as long as I could without finding an answer, so forgive me if this has already been brought up. Is there anything specific I should do to my bike to accommodate a passenger? Our combined weight is around 340, right at the bike's weight limit (342 pounds if I remember correctly.) From the two short commutes I've done with her on the back, nothing seems out of place or potentially damaging because of the weight.

I've heard tightening the suspension can help with the extra weight. Is there anything else I should do or be aware of? I don't plan on going too fast with her riding with me, maybe 55 at most. I'm just worried I might damage my lovely Ninja if there's something I'm not thinking of.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nope, no problems. If you were going to do it super regularly you might want to increase the rear preload (hell, you probably want it maxed anyways), but the bike will be fine 2 up like that.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

revmoo posted:

Shopping 250's right now :D :D

Why do I see so many used 250's priced ABOVE new prices?

Haha and here I thought I was the only one. Looking through the Seattle CL I saw an 08 SE for $4900. I sent him a friendly email letting him know that at Renton Moto you can get a brand new 2010 out the door for $4700 and he might want to revise his pricing. Shockingly he didn't send a thank you card. I mean I know they are popular and everything, but asking above the new price seems a bit strange to me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Haha and here I thought I was the only one. Looking through the Seattle CL I saw an 08 SE for $4900. I sent him a friendly email letting him know that at Renton Moto you can get a brand new 2010 out the door for $4700 and he might want to revise his pricing. Shockingly he didn't send a thank you card. I mean I know they are popular and everything, but asking above the new price seems a bit strange to me.

bbbbbbutttttt my mods so valuable! They'll come down eventually. Or you can show up with 3k cash, offer that, and giggle. :v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

bbbbbbutttttt my mods so valuable! They'll come down eventually. Or you can show up with 3k cash, offer that, and giggle. :v:

I'd take $3k if someone offered it for mine. The $3k to $3.5k range is what the '08+ bikes are holding steady at.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

If you don't put that bike into your garage right now, I will come over and kick you in the nuts. And then put the bike in my garage.

Yeah, I agreed to buy it. I just couldn't pass up on it. Details forthcoming, but 2009 Blue 250 with 1900 miles will be mine! Never dropped, looks pristine! I'd get pictures but everyone knows what they look like.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Recently my front break lever has been sticking a bit and I can't get smooth front break control. I looked on 250.org and I didn't see anything about the front break lever being sticky. Is it likely the lever itself just needs some lubrication or is there something else that might be going wrong? I don't want to do anything stupid, front brakes being pretty important and all...
Any thoughts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Resource posted:

Recently my front break lever has been sticking a bit and I can't get smooth front break control. I looked on 250.org and I didn't see anything about the front break lever being sticky. Is it likely the lever itself just needs some lubrication or is there something else that might be going wrong? I don't want to do anything stupid, front brakes being pretty important and all...
Any thoughts?

What lever are you using? Have you replaced it recently? You can try lubing the pivot, could also be that the MC needs to be flushed and/or rebuilt.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
The lever is the standard part for a 2005 250, it was replaced months ago (not by me) and was working fine up until recently. I suppose I'll try some lube first, and go from there. I wonder if something got bent (lever was replaced because I dropped the bike) thought it feels like it got worse today after I did a hard brake.

edit: I also keep my bike outside and it was pretty abused before I got it, so no idea what other things could be wrong...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Resource posted:

The lever is the standard part for a 2005 250, it was replaced months ago (not by me) and was working fine up until recently. I suppose I'll try some lube first, and go from there. I wonder if something got bent (lever was replaced because I dropped the bike) thought it feels like it got worse today after I did a hard brake.

What color is the brake fluid? Is it clear and clean?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I just checked it, it's not dark, but it's certainly not clean. A little discoloration and what looked like debris. Am I lucky to be alive? Regardless of the problem it looks like I need to change the brake fluid I think.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Resource posted:

I just checked it, it's not dark, but it's certainly not clean. A little discoloration and what looked like debris. Am I lucky to be alive? Regardless of the problem it looks like I need to change the brake fluid I think.

That's the place to start. When the fluid gets lovely you'll start to feel things go weird.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I an 5'11" tall and weigh 260lbs. Am I too fat for a pre-2008 Ninja 250 even though the ergonomics are almost perfect? ninja250.org says that riders over 250lbs should consider the Ninja 500, but I don't think ~60hp is required to haul me around at <80mph. Assuming that I enjoy trying to make slow vehicles move quickly, shifting, and engines that sound like angry bees at high rpms (according to youtube) would a Ninja 250 work for me?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Loucks posted:

I an 5'11" tall and weigh 260lbs. Am I too fat for a pre-2008 Ninja 250 even though the ergonomics are almost perfect? ninja250.org says that riders over 250lbs should consider the Ninja 500, but I don't think ~60hp is required to haul me around at <80mph. Assuming that I enjoy trying to make slow vehicles move quickly, shifting, and engines that sound like angry bees at high rpms (according to youtube) would a Ninja 250 work for me?

Definitely on the upper end, but I'm around 180 or so, and I've carried 50+lbs of crap on the back of my bike while touring without too much of a problem. Made climbing into the mountains an exercise in conserving momentum.

No Offense but with that much weight, if you plan on touring or commuting on the highway I'd look at something with a bit more power and a better suspension. If you want something for a short commute, or just around town bebopper it would work out ok.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Thanks, and no offense taken. I've been running, but progress is slow and I want to ride this season. Since I do want to do some freeway/touring riding I'll try to find a 500r or GS500 instead. People seem to want a LOT more for those models around here.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Loucks posted:

Thanks, and no offense taken. I've been running, but progress is slow and I want to ride this season. Since I do want to do some freeway/touring riding I'll try to find a 500r or GS500 instead. People seem to want a LOT more for those models around here.

Ya, if you plan on doing long distance touring it wouldn't work out that well. When you start packing oil/tent/clothes/a few tools/etc the weight starts adding up. Not that it can't be done, I've a 5k mile trip on one, but an extra 50lbs would have really started putting things over the limit.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Z3n posted:

That's the place to start. When the fluid gets lovely you'll start to feel things go weird.

Thanks for the help! :-)

Each time I was about to decide to do something I would find that it would be a small step to do the next most elaborate thing. I've gone from planning to change my brake fluid to installing SS brake lines and replacing my brake pads.

Also: Any thoughts on fixing a gas tank? I seem to have poor reading skills and ended up puncturing my gas tank with the wrong size bolts. New tank sounds pricey, any cheaper options out there?

I was thinking about having the hole welded closed, but I wasn't sure if I needed to consider anything else before doing that. Are there any dangers or downsides (aside from explosions) to welding the hole closed?

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn
So when everyone is talking about 250, they mean 250 CC right? I always hear people telling me that 250 CC are little toys, not real bikes. Course I've never owned a bike, just have my m1 license in CA. So whats the deal with that? I'm assuming there is no truth to this assessment, but then why do people snub 250 bikes?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Displacement is only loosely correlated with the power an engine generates, for a whole host of reasons. The EX250 is on the high end (as far as commonly available bikes are concerned) for power output from 250cc displacement. It has enough horsepower to keep up with most traffic up to about 60mph, and they'll get up into the mid 90s. That's plenty to do highway speed.

Any bike that's ridden on the street isn't a toy, to be honest. People who consider them such are idiots.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mine would have made it to an indicated 110mph if someone were stupid enough to hold the throttle open that long. Top speed is listed as 107mph, I'd believe that's pretty accurate.

Also the great irony of it all is that my drz400sm makes about the same hp as a 250 but no one calls that bike a "toy" because it's a 400 and it must be faster! (top speed is probably 95mph, if you're lucky.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn
OK cool. I always wanted to get a small bike because I love bikes but they scare me. And ones that are ridiculous (anything above 500 if you ask me) terrifies me. Why do you guys prefer sport bikes/dual-sport bikes, over cruisers?

I think a dual sport which leans slightly towards road will be my preference.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Woofington posted:

Why do you guys prefer sport bikes/dual-sport bikes, over cruisers?

I bought a 250 because I wanted to turn. I bought the transalp because I wanted a bigger bike that I could foolishly take off road.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Woofington posted:

OK cool. I always wanted to get a small bike because I love bikes but they scare me. And ones that are ridiculous (anything above 500 if you ask me) terrifies me. Why do you guys prefer sport bikes/dual-sport bikes, over cruisers?

I think a dual sport which leans slightly towards road will be my preference.

I prefer supermotos to other bikes for one big reason:

Go anywhere. Do anything. I can take that motorcycle anywhere, up curbs, offroad, down whatever, jump it, wheelie it, stoppie it. If i crash it, it's protected by sliders, bark busters, and I'll laugh, pick it up, and ride off. The 17s with race tires mean I have enough traction to drag pegs easily, losing traction is fun, not scary. It's light, it gets good gas mileage. The downsides are it's not great on the freeway, and it's not the fastest bike off the line or in the quarter. But I don't get into freeway pissing contests anymore, and I lived with it for 1350 miles in 2 days from Seattle to Santa Barbara, so that was good enough for me. Also, 11-12 inches of suspension travel front and rear means you essentially never run out of suspension, I can be mid-stoppie and the bike will still have 4 inches of suspension travel. When riding the torn up roads around here, that's awesome. Plus you'll essentially never bottom out when you're jumping the bike.

Sportbikes are cool because they're the fastest things around, they're wonderful on the track, but on the street you're always out of the power (or going stupid fast), and you never get the chance to really use one the way it should be used.

Cruisers are fine if you're touring to see the scenery, you don't mind riding at a more sedate pace, and you're riding with other cruisers. The second I try and follow someone on a cruiser the entire bike stops making sense because it's not designed for cornering, it's designed for cruising. I also can't stand the seating position and the general lack of suspension travel/stiffness, it feels like any decent size pothole will bottom the rear shock and send the impact straight up my spin. There are definitely some modded cruisers out there that I'd really enjoy (storz sportsters/XR1200s come to mind), but they're all heavily modded and arguably more standards than cruisers now.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

Z3n posted:

I prefer supermotos to other bikes for one big reason:

Go anywhere. Do anything. I can take that motorcycle anywhere, up curbs, offroad, down whatever, jump it, wheelie it, stoppie it. If i crash it, it's protected by sliders, bark busters, and I'll laugh, pick it up, and ride off. The 17s with race tires mean I have enough traction to drag pegs easily, losing traction is fun, not scary. It's light, it gets good gas mileage. The downsides are it's not great on the freeway, and it's not the fastest bike off the line or in the quarter. But I don't get into freeway pissing contests anymore, and I lived with it for 1350 miles in 2 days from Seattle to Santa Barbara, so that was good enough for me. Also, 11-12 inches of suspension travel front and rear means you essentially never run out of suspension, I can be mid-stoppie and the bike will still have 4 inches of suspension travel. When riding the torn up roads around here, that's awesome. Plus you'll essentially never bottom out when you're jumping the bike.

Sportbikes are cool because they're the fastest things around, they're wonderful on the track, but on the street you're always out of the power (or going stupid fast), and you never get the chance to really use one the way it should be used.

Cruisers are fine if you're touring to see the scenery, you don't mind riding at a more sedate pace, and you're riding with other cruisers. The second I try and follow someone on a cruiser the entire bike stops making sense because it's not designed for cornering, it's designed for cruising. I also can't stand the seating position and the general lack of suspension travel/stiffness, it feels like any decent size pothole will bottom the rear shock and send the impact straight up my spin. There are definitely some modded cruisers out there that I'd really enjoy (storz sportsters/XR1200s come to mind), but they're all heavily modded and arguably more standards than cruisers now.

Wow man, thanks! Got any suggestions for a good starter bike similar to the one you got yourself? :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Woofington posted:

Wow man, thanks! Got any suggestions for a good starter bike similar to the one you got yourself? :)

I'm currently riding a DRZ400SM. They're just starting to drop sub 3k in terms of cost, and are one of the better starter bikes out there. Not super great for long distance, but if you're willing to spend a little money on a better seat, they can be serviceable for distance. Plus you won't really know any better, so whatever. :v:

Only problem is they have a pretty tall seat, but the upside is if you drop it it's really not a big deal.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

This is one of the main benefits of the Ninja 250, in my opinion. You can wail the poo poo out of the thing on the backroads without breaking the speed limit by much. :keke:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

frozenphil posted:

This is one of the main benefits of the Ninja 250, in my opinion. You can wail the poo poo out of the thing on the backroads without breaking the speed limit by much. :keke:

This right here is the truth. I squidded it up a little on my way to an appointment yesterday and tailed a Ferrari that was driving spiritedly on Sunset from the 405. We rarely broke 50 in the straights, but it all sounded so good. :cthulhu:

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Has anybody come across a broken fuel gauge on 08+ 250's :sigh:

I just noticed it last time I filled up, put half a tank of gas in but before that It was indicating full. Been riding it around for a few days now and the needle still sits on F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Only problem is they have a pretty tall seat, but the upside is if you drop it it's really not a big deal.

And that the seat feels like sitting on a goddamn 2x4

• Locked thread