Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Does anyone know where I can get cheap SAS cables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
How cheap? There are plenty of ones that I would consider cheap on eBay.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?
Oops,

193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 134 134 000 Old_age Always - 199361
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 134 134 000 Old_age Always - 198691
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 131 131 000 Old_age Always - 208548

how worried should I be?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Huh; must not be tracked by the Samsung drives then, I don't have that at all. Here's smartctl -A for one of them:
Yeah, I guess it isn't tracked. Practically any green drive does some sort of idle parking. From what I've read, Samsungs do it, too. Not sure which models, tho. With over 8500 hours of power-on time, there should be potential for quite a bunch of parkings.

ior posted:

how worried should I be?
Not sure. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the technical specs for how much cycles the drives are rated.

My WD Greens are rated for 50000 load cycles. But that doesn't mean that the drive will automatically fail, if it gets past that value, but chances of a failure increase. I've read about WD Greens with over 500K cycles. But I think there'll be warranty issues.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 8, 2010

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Combat Pretzel posted:

My WD Greens are rated for 50000 load cycles. But that doesn't mean that the drive will automatically fail, if it gets past that value, but chances of a failure increase. I've read about WD Greens with over 500K cycles. But I think there'll be warranty issues.

Oh well, Im doing the idle fix now and I do have backups so... When they start failing I will have a reason to upgrade to 2TBs ;)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Synology v3 screenshots leak here, seems going a bit too far on the UI,

http://www.mediaplayerworld.com/index.php?topic=1861.0

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I've been asking in the router thread but no one has any answers. I'm looking for a wireless 802.11n router that has a USB port that I can plug in an external HDD to use as a NAS, and I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. I can't afford or need a real NAS at the moment, but I do need a router so being able to kill 2 birds with one stone would be awesome. The major con I've read about these routers is that the transfer speed is slow, but to be honest all I need is for it to be able to stream 720p video through wifi without stuttering.

Bonus if I can install SABnzbd and Sickbeard on it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ziir posted:

I've been asking in the router thread but no one has any answers. I'm looking for a wireless 802.11n router that has a USB port that I can plug in an external HDD to use as a NAS, and I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. I can't afford or need a real NAS at the moment, but I do need a router so being able to kill 2 birds with one stone would be awesome. The major con I've read about these routers is that the transfer speed is slow, but to be honest all I need is for it to be able to stream 720p video through wifi without stuttering.

Bonus if I can install SABnzbd and Sickbeard on it.

I know the Netgear 3700 does, but it's $150. It is dual band if that's any consolation. I never tested it because I went ahead and got a real NAS :smug:.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30925-start-your-buying-netgear-wndr3700-reviewed?showall=&start=2 posted:

The 3700 includes the ability to network-share an attached USB drive, which NETGEAR has dubbed ReadyShare. But even with the nod to NETGEAR's popular ReadyNASes, ReadyShare is no substitute for a real NAS.

To test performance, I plugged in the Iomega UltraMax Pro dual-drive NAS that I use for NAS backup testing and ran the Vista SP1 filecopy test from my NAS test suite. Write speed was 11.4 MB/s and read measured 9.8 MB/s—not bad for a router-based NAS. Note that this is much faster than the 2.8 MB/s reported in the Preview article, which could be due to my use of Vista SP1.

As far as ReadyShare functioning as a UPnP / DLNA server, Windows Media Player 11 seemed to recognize it ok. But I have neither an XBox 360 nor PS3 to test it otherwise. I should note, however, despite clicking the Scan Now button multiple times, WMP 11 never showed the uncompressed ripped DVD that I had uploaded to the default USB_Storage share. It didn't display a .wmv or Quicktime .mov file either.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

adorai posted:

How cheap? There are plenty of ones that I would consider cheap on eBay.

You're right, I got the cables I need for 13 bucks each. Cheers.

Do any of you guys know where I could get something like this for cheap:
http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/AD8788-4.asp

I don't want to pay 100 bucks for a pci slot pass-through.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

The_Frag_Man posted:

You're right, I got the cables I need for 13 bucks each. Cheers.

Do any of you guys know where I could get something like this for cheap:
http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/AD8788-4.asp

I don't want to pay 100 bucks for a pci slot pass-through.

http://www.google.com/products?q=External+8088+to+Internal+8087&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hl=en&scoring=p ??

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Crackbone posted:

I know the Netgear 3700 does, but it's $150. It is dual band if that's any consolation. I never tested it because I went ahead and got a real NAS :smug:.

I bought this router but gently caress it all, I don't know how to set it up. Formatted my HDD as ext3 and plugged it in and nothing. I've spent all day searching for a way to make it work and have found nothing. Even threw dd-wrt on it but gave up cause I couldn't get samba2 to install.

gently caress this, maybe I will return it and get a NAS. In that case, I want something with 2 bays. What's my best/cheapest option? Is the OP still up to date?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I read through a bit of the thread and can't see anything, but has anyone managed to get esata port multiplying working under opensolaris? Also, if they do, what chipset are they using? I'm going to need something PCI based unfortunately.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The lowest price for a 4 port passthrough is the one I posted above.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ziir posted:

I bought this router but gently caress it all, I don't know how to set it up. Formatted my HDD as ext3 and plugged it in and nothing. I've spent all day searching for a way to make it work and have found nothing. Even threw dd-wrt on it but gave up cause I couldn't get samba2 to install.

gently caress this, maybe I will return it and get a NAS. In that case, I want something with 2 bays. What's my best/cheapest option? Is the OP still up to date?

It sounds like you want a real NAS based on what you're trying to do. The sharing feature on most routers is going to be windows-centric - I'm not surprised it didn't recognize ext3, it's probably designed to see FAT and NFTS.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
May be a bit backwards for what you were trying to do, but a lot of NAS devices are just linux based. My QNAP model is very customizable, and QNAP itself even has sections on their own forums about getting other linux distributions on, or you could probably install some routing software directly onto the normal OS.

It already comes with things like DHCP server out of the box, 2 ethernet ports, etc. I don't think it would be too difficult to turn some NAS boxes into NAS/Routers.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Any thing wrong with using this Segate Barracuda drive?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

Im looking to upgrade my current raid array to something bigger.
Im using a Dell perc 5/i and 8 drives in a Raid 5 array.

All this nonsense with the green/black drives from WD doesnt seem to do me any good.
I just want normal hard drives that dont park the heads and work decently when plugged into raid cards. The TLER hack doesnt even seem like that great of an idea, not sure if I could depend on modified drives and my controller getting along.

Searching newegg for "enterprise" didnt even help that much. Some of the drives listed still seemed to be the type that park the heads after a while.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I've been planning on switching to 2.5" drives eventually but just remembered the drive parking stuff with many drives these days. Anyone know if the excessive parking generally happens with 2.5" drives too?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

I've been planning on switching to 2.5" drives eventually but just remembered the drive parking stuff with many drives these days. Anyone know if the excessive parking generally happens with 2.5" drives too?
Mobile drives tend to park aggressively to conserve power and avoid head crashes in moving environments, so yes. WD's AV drives might be better suited to the environment, but I can't say for sure.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A lot of servers are starting to come with 2.5" drives, so there should be quite a few 2.5" drives on the market that aren't meant for mobile devices. They may be "enterprise" class drives, or manufacturers might just say "gently caress it" and only release them on SAS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

A lot of servers are starting to come with 2.5" drives, so there should be quite a few 2.5" drives on the market that aren't meant for mobile devices. They may be "enterprise" class drives, or manufacturers might just say "gently caress it" and only release them on SAS.
Well yeah, but those are WD's VelociRaptors or SAS counterparts.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Well yeah, but those are WD's VelociRaptors or SAS counterparts.

That's the case now, but I think it's possible that we could see more 2.5" drives. Or not. The benefits to them may only make sense in the data center where the cost of the hardware is insignificant to the total cost of ownership, so manufacturers will continue to only make SAS and velociraptor drives.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

FYI, no more public OpenSolaris builds.

From now on, Oracle will be working towards Solaris 11. There'll supposedly be Solaris Express builds again starting end of the year, but they'll be select ones, not bi-weekly. Source code releases will only happen after big binary releases (e.g. Solaris 11) Oracle apparently wants to retain competitive advantages by not giving away details up to release.

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=496203&tstart=0

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Which would you guys choose: Synology DS1010+ or Thecus N7700?

How well does the Thecus support ZFS, or RAID-Z?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Combat Pretzel posted:

FYI, no more public OpenSolaris builds.

From now on, Oracle will be working towards Solaris 11. There'll supposedly be Solaris Express builds again starting end of the year, but they'll be select ones, not bi-weekly. Source code releases will only happen after big binary releases (e.g. Solaris 11) Oracle apparently wants to retain competitive advantages by not giving away details up to release.

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=496203&tstart=0

Yeah, I saw that. Sucks to be me, stuck on a semi-stable dev version that's now like 20 revisions out of date. At least it still works aside from a few annoyances.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Maybe this will be interesting:

http://www.illumos.org/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Illumos is just an emancipation project that still relies on Oracle playing fair. They don't have enough developers to get anywhere on their own, apart from their set goal of replacing the binary blobs in the distribution. That project has very much to wait until Solaris 11 and some more to get their hands on a code drop.

There were mentions about a TAP program, which may keep Nexenta in play for a while, barring any source releases by their part.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Personally, I'm fine with sticking with OpenSolaris for a while until BTRFS is mature enough in 2 years for my home setup. By then, I'll be ready to move my 14TB across 11 disks to maybe 7 4TB disks with the possibility of variable sized disks for expansions in the future. Just going to have to live with the software I've got on there for now I suppose. Caring mostly about the software sitting in my file server's VMs has its advantages here.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

ior posted:

Oops,

193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 134 134 000 Old_age Always - 199361
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 134 134 000 Old_age Always - 198691
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 131 131 000 Old_age Always - 208548

how worried should I be?

So I ran the wdidle3 tool and now it is incrementing a lot more slowly. Current trend will make the drives hit their rating (300.000) in 15 years instead of the earlier 14 months.

Curious thing however is that 1 year ago i replaced 1 of the drives of this 4 drive raid-5. That one has been incrementing incredibly slowly, they must have made some firmware changes.

193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 51

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Okay, it's Media Servier / NAS Time - final revision edition.

Currently, my proposed housing solution is the following:

Cooler Master Centurion 590 (70.15)
3x Silverstone CFP52B Enclosures (79.58)
12x Silverstone CP05 Hotswap Cables (60.12)
Total on Housing: 209.85

Which provides homes for 12 drives, 6 of which will be initially populated by 1TB Drives.

My internal hardware setup is proposed as following

Intel i3 540 (128.53)
MSI H55-G43 (99.99)
2 x 1GB DDR3-1066 (48.98)
2 x Syba 40008 4 Port PCI-E SATA Cards (112.72)
Total on Hardware: 390.22

I'm unsettled on a boot drive yet. I have a spare SATA port on a jMicron 363x controller I have laying around, which also connects to an external port multiplier. But anyway, to the meat and potatoes:

I want to build an expandable NAS which I won't have to open to add drives to, is expandable, fairly feature rich, and that I can basically just add drives to, and have them just pop up in the pool.

I know that the Norco 4020 + 2 x LSI SAS Cards is usually the way to go, but I'm a little sheepish about spending that much... though I may eventually have to anyway.

I'd also like to be able to play media from this box over HDMI, preferably onboard - hence the motherboard choice. Budget isn't a huge issue, just preferably under 1k all in. What do I do here?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Your hardware choice should reflect your software choice, which goes back to your high-level use-cases for building it in the first place. What sort of software setup you planning on running? I run OpenSolaris and because of ZFS features and hardware (lack of) support, I'm using an LSI SAS/SATA card rather than cheaper cards.

Sounds like you want Windows Home Server or unRAID though. Given your other requirements for playing media off the server itself, WHS seems like a reasonable choice here unless you manage to install XBMC on the unRAID server. I went with a separate front-end system for multiple clients and so I could keep the server tucked away out of sight.

Also, be careful about those drive backplanes working with your chosen case; many are made with specific case features assumed. I wound up having to return one because the drive rails in my Antec 300 case weren't accounted for (the backplane had no grooves for the rails). That Supermicro backplane was way better than the IcyDock crap I got - I even had to reseat the backplane because one drive wouldn't power up in it :(

You should also keep in mind that hard drives get bigger over the years. If your data use goes up slower than the rate drives increase in capacity, you may be able to downsize in the future, so you may not need that Norco ever. A couple years ago a 1.5TB drive (the largest) cost about $350. Now, we're up to a typical 2TB that's $100 with 3TB drives being announced. Like I said above, I'm expecting to grab 7 4TB drives in a couple years.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

Hey guys, I need some advice on a 4 bay Sans Digital enclosure I bought. I've never messed around with RAID or anything before and I bought this as something just slightly more elaborate than some of the single bay enclosures I've owned before. It works fine, but here is where I need some help. I didn't remember that the idiots that designed my Motherboard put the PCI Express 1x and 16x ports right next to each other so I can't have the controller card and my graphics card plugged in at the same time.

For right now I've taken out the video card since storage to me is more important than the graphics card, but I still want to find a way to have both plugged in. I figure the simplest way is to get a PCI controller card since I could fit that and the graphics card in at the same time. I'm not sure where to find the best card for the lowest price, though. I went to Sans Digital's website and the PCI card they have costs nearly twice as much as the enclosure I bought.

I'm thinking it might just be cheaper to get a new motherboard, but my computer is getting a bit old and I'd have to find something that supports both DDR2 memory and had a AM2/AM2+ CPU socket type (among other things). What do you guys think?

Mr. Blastaway fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 16, 2010

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

Your hardware choice should reflect your software choice, which goes back to your high-level use-cases for building it in the first place. What sort of software setup you planning on running? I run OpenSolaris and because of ZFS features and hardware (lack of) support, I'm using an LSI SAS/SATA card rather than cheaper cards.

Sounds like you want Windows Home Server or unRAID though. Given your other requirements for playing media off the server itself, WHS seems like a reasonable choice here unless you manage to install XBMC on the unRAID server. I went with a separate front-end system for multiple clients and so I could keep the server tucked away out of sight.

Also, be careful about those drive backplanes working with your chosen case; many are made with specific case features assumed. I wound up having to return one because the drive rails in my Antec 300 case weren't accounted for (the backplane had no grooves for the rails). That Supermicro backplane was way better than the IcyDock crap I got - I even had to reseat the backplane because one drive wouldn't power up in it :(

You should also keep in mind that hard drives get bigger over the years. If your data use goes up slower than the rate drives increase in capacity, you may be able to downsize in the future, so you may not need that Norco ever. A couple years ago a 1.5TB drive (the largest) cost about $350. Now, we're up to a typical 2TB that's $100 with 3TB drives being announced. Like I said above, I'm expecting to grab 7 4TB drives in a couple years.

I know that density does increase with time (I mean, I could just add a bunch of 2TB drives to the 590 in order to populate), I guess I just wanted something that would hold it's own in terms of storage in the future. I really don't see myself finding a way to use 40TB, but I'm sure that eventually, I will. How is WHS in terms of usability? I might need to VM it and see how I feel about it's use.

As to the Sans Digital device - just connect via USB, if you can. Otherwise, if your motherboard has onboards ports / eSATA provided by the jMicron chipset, it supports multipliers; albeit slowly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

PopeOnARope posted:

How is WHS in terms of usability? I might need to VM it and see how I feel about it's use.

I have 17 hard drives in my WHS.

You just plug a HD in, boot, and click "Add"...that's basically it. It's all run from the WHS console on the client, but if you want to you can remote desktop in to the server and you get a regular Windows Server 2003 desktop so you can do...Windows Server 2003-type stuff with it.

WHS is made with ease-of-use as priority #1.

Here's the SH/SC thread for it.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I have 17 hard drives in my WHS.

You just plug a HD in, boot, and click "Add"...that's basically it. It's all run from the WHS console on the client, but if you want to you can remote desktop in to the server and you get a regular Windows Server 2003 desktop so you can do...Windows Server 2003-type stuff with it.

WHS is made with ease-of-use as priority #1.

Here's the SH/SC thread for it.

I know there's a thread for it, but how does WHS react to me yanking drives to expand the pool? Is there a "dismount" button, or do I just pull, wipe, and sell?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
One thing that I've heard about WHS that bugs me is that it doesn't respond in a pleasant way to actual drive failures - like bad reads/writes for a while. Perhaps newer versions are alright, but I normally give filesystems that are under active development at least 2 years before using them for even home use.

I know I just simulated a bad set of writes (I went nuts with dd if=/dev/zero bs=512 on the disk and later tried to read some files back) and ZFS corrected the errors for me. I also took a drive offline and put in another one for kicks and it resilvered it as well because I'm kind of paranoid that a drive could die overnight and I'd be screwed.

WHS doesn't really work like traditional RAID though because you can select directories and files to replicate across disks, so you can prioritize your data on the filesystem. However, I feel if you're going to try to increase fault tolerance on some of your files, it's not that big of a stretch to want it for the rest of your files. For really sensitive files, they tend to be small and can be TrueCrypted.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Wow, you are literally a crazy person. Is it CP you're storing or just your facebook passwords in a text file?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Quick, stupid question: a regular gigabit Ethernet connection basically negates any advantage of a SATA 6.0gb/sec HDD? Just making sure before I buy a DNS-323 and SATA 3.0 HDDs.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

what is this posted:

Wow, you are literally a crazy person. Is it CP you're storing or just your facebook passwords in a text file?

Passwords, medical records, insurance stuff, things that will be a very very bad loving thing to have wander into the hands of some Russian dude when the latest 0 day flash exploit compromises your computer and it launches a data miner to hunt for CC and SSN numbers.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

PopeOnARope posted:

I know there's a thread for it, but how does WHS react to me yanking drives to expand the pool? Is there a "dismount" button, or do I just pull, wipe, and sell?

From the WHS console you tell the server to remove the drive from the Drive Pool. It copies data off of it for a while and when it's done you can remove the drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

gariig posted:

From the WHS console you tell the server to remove the drive from the Drive Pool. It copies data off of it for a while and when it's done you can remove the drive.

I just can't get over the corruption bugs that sat there for like 4 months before someone fixed them. This is why I'm using ZFS, because gently caress having my poo poo look like it's there, but be silently hosed up.