Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubear
May 17, 2008

Huh?! I.. I'm a bear?!

StealthArcher posted:

One had you going into a video game, pairing up with a partner (only one you could pick was the naga, the others would get you killed straight off.), and travelling all over to do something, your PC starts off as a computer because he's too "mundane", lter shedding this. You also fight a big computer in what appears to be a spelling bee, eventually winning despite it's HAL9000-ness, by using a golf tee, for the letter t.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companions_of_xanth

Edit: didn't realise that wiki article was so low content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4y1tGqGqKE#t=150

Cubear fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Mage Era
Nov 25, 2009
This is a game that has eluded me since the early 90's and I'd appreciate some help. I was too young to play text-based games like this at that stage in my life, so my only memories of this are of me watching my parents play it on their computer.

This game came out sometime before 1995; I'm sorry that I can't get more specific than that. I think it was an old adventure game, but I'm not positive. I remember the graphics; they were detailed, but they had a limited color palette. I think this game ran on DOS. The upper half of the screen was an image while the lower half was white text on a black background.

The only thing I remember of it was one death scene (or I assume it was a death scene). It was a scene where a character (your character?) rotted away, going from flesh-and-bone to just a skeleton in a dissolving transition. The image was focused on the character's head and shoulders and he was lying on the ground.

I also think power plants were involved. I remember seeing them, anyway.

Please tell me my young mind didn't just make this all up :ohdear:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

In the 90s me and my brother got a box of floppy discs from a friend of our mother's. These discs hid numerous obscure DOS games, and one in particular I played the poo poo out of when I started learning English and was able to understand what was going on in the game. The box of floppies is long lost, but the memory of that game has stayed relatively fresh in my mind. I've looked for it on and off on the internet for years, pretty much whenever I've happened to remember it, but scouring through every single DOS and text game database has netted me a healthy amount of absolutely nothing even close to similar to that drat game.

Then I realized this thread exists.

Here's what I can recall:

- Entirely text-based (yellow text?)
- Basic idea: you're an adventurer whose aim is to find wealth, weapons, raise an army, find the Amulet/Sword of _____ and finally defeat an evil wizard/overlord by assaulting his tower with your forces
- Possibility to arm the band you'd gathered with found and bought equipment?
- All events were taken from a pool of happenings and encounters, the game was essentially endless unless you decided to attack the tower or managed to get yourself killed
- I think you might've had to have food to eat, otherwise you'd die of hunger
- Some random events I dug up from the cobwebs of my brain:
* Gypsy camp, you could play five-finger fillet and buy stuff
* City where you could buy gear and horsies
* Waterfall, could give you luck / change your gender / make you ugly / make you be attacked by trogdolytes
* A "thicket in woods" which was randomly inhabited by an insane wizard
* A mad king's castle where it was possible to find the essential magic item

The game was pure heroin for the 10-year-old me, and Jesus gently caress it if I didn't spend every single minute of my allowed time at the computer playing and loving it to death with my supple and eager innocent child's fingers. If some golden forums saint is able to find this thang for me they will receive my eternal loving sweaty nerd man love. Forever.

TheDizIsAwesome
Dec 2, 2008
I remember playing this FPS somewhere around fifteen years ago. You started walking around a base, you got your weapons and armor, then the rest of the game was going around apartments killing aliens, and you could also get into a tank if you went outside. Any ideas?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I've been looking for a game for the last ten years or so, and I've never managed to figure out what it was, in these threads or any other on other forums. Time to try my luck again...

It was an sidescrolling action game; the environments and enemies were very alien and sci-fi, but I seem to recall that player 1 was a Goku lookalike with black hair and a red outfit, whereas player 2 had long blonde hair and a blue outfit, and at least one of your attacks was a Dragonball-esque projectile energy blast. It was a pretty dark game with a lot of gore - people and monsters exploding and the like.

The humanoid enemies were female for the most part, I remember, and the first boss was a couple of mutants with shells on their backs in a three-tiered area, where you had to manoeuvre around to hit their weak spot.

Apart from the basic levels there were also shmup-like levels where your character(s) were flying through space.

The only reason I've got to believe this game even existed at this point is because my older brother played it with me at the time and he vaguely remembers it, just no more than I remember.

EDIT: Somehow I failed to mention the platform - it was an arcade game.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 1, 2010

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Just a reminder, it helps a lot to mention the system, or at least the kind of system the game was on. Saying it was, for example, an arcade game helps narrow it down by removing thousands of possibilities.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

McSlave posted:

I remember playing this FPS somewhere around fifteen years ago. You started walking around a base, you got your weapons and armor, then the rest of the game was going around apartments killing aliens, and you could also get into a tank if you went outside. Any ideas?

I never played much of it but was it Cyclones?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mad Mage Era posted:

This is a game that has eluded me since the early 90's and I'd appreciate some help. I was too young to play text-based games like this at that stage in my life, so my only memories of this are of me watching my parents play it on their computer.

This game came out sometime before 1995; I'm sorry that I can't get more specific than that. I think it was an old adventure game, but I'm not positive. I remember the graphics; they were detailed, but they had a limited color palette. I think this game ran on DOS. The upper half of the screen was an image while the lower half was white text on a black background.

The only thing I remember of it was one death scene (or I assume it was a death scene). It was a scene where a character (your character?) rotted away, going from flesh-and-bone to just a skeleton in a dissolving transition. The image was focused on the character's head and shoulders and he was lying on the ground.

I also think power plants were involved. I remember seeing them, anyway.

Please tell me my young mind didn't just make this all up :ohdear:

This sounds like Rise of the Dragon to me.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Mad Mage Era posted:

The death scene really, really sounds like westwood/cryo's Dune. Some of the rest of your description made me think of Wasteland.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I tried asking around for a fighting game on the PC around six months back and now trying it again with some crappy pictures I made.

Facts:
- released at least on PC around 92-95
- the art style was realistic but not digitalized photos like in Mortal Kombat - not as cartoony as Street Fighter though
- I don't think the game was extra violent, more like normal level of blood spatter when you hit someone (if even that)
- for some reason, I keep thinking the game was called something like Apocalypse, Armageddon or something starting with an A
- one of the characters which I thought looked cool at the time was this sort of lizardy humanoid guy who who was just a naked muscular male with lizard-like skin and a predatorish head; he was really, really generic but maybe the yellowish stripes on his body made him stand out a bit:

Click here for the full 650x594 image.

- I think all the other fighters were distinctly human and quite bland
- I'm not sure if I've mixed the box art with another game but I think it was just sort of corroding metal or grey stone with red and yellow stains or something:

This is the only game I can't find anywhere even though I've browsed some entries about fighting games released within those years for PC. :saddowns:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I believe you might be talking about Pray For Death. The lizard dude is actually Cthulhu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5wPeIKbuWE

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 1, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I believe you might be talking about Pray For Death. The lizard dude is actually Cthulhu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5wPeIKbuWE

Sadly this wasn't it. I don't think that the characters were modeled and 3D and rendered but made pixel by pixel by hand.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

In that case, I think your best bet is peering through all the PC games on this list

Edit:

Wait, here's something. Is it Savage Warriors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrHAZunr2Y0

You can see the green guy with yellow lines on his body in the character select. Might be too recent, though, since it's voxel-based.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 1, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

In that case, I think your best bet is peering through all the PC games on this list

Edit:

Wait, here's something. Is it Savage Warriors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrHAZunr2Y0

You can see the green guy with yellow lines on his body in the character select. Might be too recent, though, since it's voxel-based.

THIS WAS IT! Haha, I thought I'd never find this and even began to doubt if it ever existed! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Mad Mage Era
Nov 25, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

This sounds like Rise of the Dragon to me.

moller posted:

The death scene really, really sounds like westwood/cryo's Dune. Some of the rest of your description made me think of Wasteland.
I'll try all three of these, thanks guys. For all I know it COULD be all three mishmashed together in my memories.

Seeing screenshots of Wasteland is bringing back some heavy deja-vu, though. I think that one's it - I'll play it to be sure. Thanks a million!

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
I'm looking for this PC RPG/strategy game. It came out in 199X,somewhat resemble Geneforge/Sacrifice,since you were a wizard who could summon creatures to fight for you as well as regular combat spells.
It was completely realtime(unlike geneforge),isometric with sprite graphics(I think). What I remember is that your health was represented by your portrait(a dude with blonde hair) turning into a skull. It also had a bit of a gimmick where your character would age as you progressed into the game,so eventually the portrait would get wrinkles/white hair.

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
Erp, I just thought of a flash game that I can't remember the name of. Well, I guess it wasn't so much a game as it was a sandbox. It was just like an open room but you had different things you could draw into existence. You could draw in plants, oil, fire, water, wax, sand, and some other stuff to make odd contraptions.
I remember it being in GBS a couple years ago, and it just popped up into my mind. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jezrael posted:

Erp, I just thought of a flash game that I can't remember the name of. Well, I guess it wasn't so much a game as it was a sandbox. It was just like an open room but you had different things you could draw into existence. You could draw in plants, oil, fire, water, wax, sand, and some other stuff to make odd contraptions.
I remember it being in GBS a couple years ago, and it just popped up into my mind. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

You're thinking of Hell of Sand Falling.

MrCrankypants
Aug 23, 2003
Remember, it is quantity not quality that matters here so work harder not smarter!
I'm looking for the name of an old space sim game that was playble on a PC, perhaps a Commodore.

I'm thinking it was from the late 80's and you controlled a space ship. The graphics were fairly simple but I remember a huge Star Destroyer type ship that was basically a triangle. You could go from system to system and interact with various people. At first your ship was very weak but as the game progressed you could kill bigger ships, and eventually get strong enough to kill the "Star Destroyer". I think there were jump gates or something as I don't think it took place in one system and it came with a map in the box showing you the different systems you could go to.

The background story that I remember is that you are a merchant or something and the "Empire" types had killed off a bunch of rebels in a big battles because of better weapons, etc. It wasn't a Star Wars game, my memory just seems to have some parallels.

Hopefully someone else played this game. I remember having a ton of fun playing it and getting strong enough to kill the big ships.

Edit: It looked quite a bit like Elite, but the story in my mind doesn't look the same.

MrCrankypants fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 2, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

You're thinking of Hell of Sand Falling.

There's also a better game like this with way more poo poo like acid, lazers and soap to play around with: Dan-Ball's Powder Game

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
I remember playing a game around 1994 or 1995 that was a 2D fighting game, but had some pretty well hand-drawn character models. I'm having a really difficult time remembering details except for the following:

- The game was exceptionally well animated.
- It featured Robot Dogs, or bi-pedal cartoon dogs wearing armor
- I think you could change into a cannon or a tank or whatever as a special move
- One of the characters may have been colored blue with orange armor.
- I think there were voice-overs for the characters.

I know that's extremely vague, but I sort of want to dig this game up out of morbid curiosity just to see if it was even a good game at all.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Waku Waku 7

Edit: Oh wow was I really wrong, never even heard of Battle Beast before.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 2, 2010

Cubear
May 17, 2008

Huh?! I.. I'm a bear?!

yanthrax posted:

I remember playing a game around 1994 or 1995 that was a 2D fighting game, but had some pretty well hand-drawn character models. I'm having a really difficult time remembering details except for the following:

- The game was exceptionally well animated.
- It featured Robot Dogs, or bi-pedal cartoon dogs wearing armor
- I think you could change into a cannon or a tank or whatever as a special move
- One of the characters may have been colored blue with orange armor.
- I think there were voice-overs for the characters.

I know that's extremely vague, but I sort of want to dig this game up out of morbid curiosity just to see if it was even a good game at all.

Was it Battle Beast?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55_3aTJad4U&t=55s

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Cubear posted:

Was it Battle Beast?
It's certainly the one his description immediately reminded me of, though I couldn't recall its name for the life of me either. :shobon:

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Cubear posted:

Was it Battle Beast?

Holy poo poo that was fast. That's exactly what it was. God this game looks as terrible as I remembered! Thanks guy!

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
I have two that have been evading me for more than a decade.

Both games are for the original Nintendo:

First one was a top-down shooty action game. I think the HUD had a lot of green to it. The only scene I remember from the game is you go onto this big boat, and a bomb is activated which forces you to try and quickly get off the boat before a timer runs out. I only remember this part because when I was a kid it gave me so much trouble.

The second one was a shoot 'em up style game. In the game you were a dragon (or a number of different dragons, I particularly remember a bronze one) and the zones were really, really artsy. Again, this was also for the Nintendo. Every dragon game I look up for Nintendo doesn't seem to fit the bill unless I'm just totally remembering it wrong. Most of them are too bright from what I remember, the game's art was really muted and dark in my memory.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Blarfo posted:

The second one was a shoot 'em up style game. In the game you were a dragon (or a number of different dragons, I particularly remember a bronze one) and the zones were really, really artsy. Again, this was also for the Nintendo. Every dragon game I look up for Nintendo doesn't seem to fit the bill unless I'm just totally remembering it wrong. Most of them are too bright from what I remember, the game's art was really muted and dark in my memory.

Was this either AD&D: Dragon Strike or Dragon Spirit?

It's probably Dragon Strike, as that actually does have a bronze dragon as a playable character.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 2, 2010

PartSasquatch
May 25, 2008

There was a game I used to play at my library when I was young. I was basically a raptor that ran around shooting enemies with guns. It was a third person shooter.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

PartSasquatch posted:

There was a game I used to play at my library when I was young. I was basically a raptor that ran around shooting enemies with guns. It was a third person shooter.

Nanosaur.

arsebiscuits
Aug 15, 2003
\o/
I've been trying for years to remember an old arcade game I used to love but remember few details about.

It must have been out around the mid to late 80's and I think it may have been made by Taito.

If you remember the side scrolling platform/shooter game Rolling Thunder, this was quite similar.

The only other info I really remember was when you were inputting your high score you had crosshairs on the screen and shot a brick wall with a machinegun.

Not a lot to go on but maybe the high score thing will trigger someones' memory as it was quite unique I think.

Edit: Your character was a police officer. When you input your name you could draw whatever you liked within the time limit. I can't specifically remember penis' but if i'm remembering correctly there must have been a plethora of 'em.

Edit again: Found it! AWESOME! Crime City by Taito, 1989. Was totally wrong about the high-score name thing. Must be confusing that with something else.

arsebiscuits fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 3, 2010

mybrownianmotion
Jan 8, 2005
Take interval to the left......
There was a game I saw on a radio shack floor model computer back in probably the early 90's that I am trying to find. It played like a choose your own adventure, and it was about controlling a submarine.

All I remember for sure is at one point an enemy ship fired a torpedo at me and I was given a few options to do, one of being blowing bubbles from the ship. I picked that option and my sub was blown up. It was also done in a video style, as in the game progressed through video clips, it would play a video, give me options, and then play more video based on what I picked. I remember it being quite realistic looking for the time. Ring any bells with anyone?

v v Thats it! Thanks!

mybrownianmotion fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 9, 2010

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

PraetorianUSMC posted:

There was a game I saw on a radio shack floor model computer back in probably the early 90's that I am trying to find. It played like a choose your own adventure, and it was about controlling a submarine.

All I remember for sure is at one point an enemy ship fired a torpedo at me and I was given a few options to do, one of being blowing bubbles from the ship. I picked that option and my sub was blown up. It was also done in a video style, as in the game progressed through video clips, it would play a video, give me options, and then play more video based on what I picked. I remember it being quite realistic looking for the time. Ring any bells with anyone?

Silent Steel probably.

Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
I'll be really surprised if anyone can get this one; since it's old and pretty obscure...

it was a platformer for the PC that came on one of those CDs full of game demos my brother and I bought for our 486 when we were kids

you played as a brown hedgehog that resembled a turd with feet who jumped/walked around levels set in some kind of city overrun with monsters -- and you collected crumpets for some reason...I think it was his health.

It's been driving me nuts because it was such a hilariously lovely game in all respects even for its time--especially the sound files for the character's voice. We would try so hard to beat that loving game but could never get past the final level because of some kind of bug with the map.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Datsun Honeybee posted:

it was a platformer for the PC that came on one of those CDs full of game demos my brother and I bought for our 486 when we were kids

If you could pick the name of the CD out of backbrain, this page might help: http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

sfwarlock posted:

If you could pick the name of the CD out of backbrain, this page might help: http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html

This rules.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So I have two games that I'd love if I could get identified:

The first was an edutainment game on some sort of PC that I played in second grade, which would put the year as 1997/98ish. Basically, you answered a bunch of math questions and then played a game where you got bonuses depending on how well you did. I know that if you picked to do addition you got to play a car racing game, and if you picked subtraction you ran around in some maze and got chased by something. I know it also had multiplication and division options, but I was always to scared to try them since I didn't know those yet :ohdear:

The second game was, if I recall correctly, originally released on the C64. I know that there was an unofficial remake of the game that ran on Windows that I played probably 4-5 years ago. You played as a wizard in a battle against other wizards, where you summoned monsters and cast spells on a rectangular grid. It was essentially a wizard-based turn-based tactics game.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

quiggy posted:

The second game was, if I recall correctly, originally released on the C64. I know that there was an unofficial remake of the game that ran on Windows that I played probably 4-5 years ago. You played as a wizard in a battle against other wizards, where you summoned monsters and cast spells on a rectangular grid. It was essentially a wizard-based turn-based tactics game.

Could have been Archon?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

sfwarlock posted:

Could have been Archon?

Doesn't look like it. The remake of the game was free and had basically the same look as the original, just some slick animations and an improved UI. In fact, as I think of it, the original game had a really awful interface, very roguelike in that you had to memorize a long list of one-letter commands to do anything. The remake fixed that.

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again
:jiggled:
whats that game where you walk around a big castle and there is this weapon or something where you throw it and lines follow it and you get your weapons taken away or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
This one should be really obvious but I'm dumb and can't remember it's name at all. You were cops and the first level was a bank robbery with the next scene possibly taking place outside the building. It was the typical arcade lightgun shooter where you'd point away from the screen to reload and shoot items, like other guns or health, to grab them. I remember that the default weapon was a revolver and one of the bonus guns was a magnum or something, indicated by bulkier looking ammunition.

I don't think there was too much movement, you would just stand there while enemies appeared and after a while you'd move on to the next level after checking out your accuracy/shots fired and all that. Also it had two player support.

If this still sounds retardedly vague I could try and squeeze out a few more (possibly inaccurate) specifics. :(

• Locked thread