Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010
I have many mutts, but today I'll introduce you to one of my foster dogs - Ford.

He was found wandering around as a stray, and was on his last day at the shelter when he and another dog came home with us. The shelter/our contact from the rescue group told us he was a german shepherd. That's his picture that they had to try and entice people into adopting him. He's not very handsome, is he?

Wait a minute, what am I talking about? He's gorgeous! It was very obvious that he wasn't a GSD though. Maybe he has a sprinkling somewhere in there. It's a littler difficult to tell under the FAT that he has, and the thick layered coat, but he's not a big dog at all. He's about 19-20" at the shoulders, and has a very small head, considering. It's very triangular and vulpine.

He was very, VERY fat. He's been having daily walks and healthy diet, and has lost 8+ lbs with us so far. Massive health improvements are visible.

He has the hunting instincts of piece of shoe string. Birds, horses, bunnies, other dogs, cats - they are all his very best friend. The only pictures I seem to have that are standing body shots are from his fat days, so he's a bit trimmer, now. I'm no sure what he is, other than awesome. 8D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Looks like a sweet old fatty cattledog to me. :)

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I was thinking cattledog too, but I see ACD in everything. I'm always amused when sheltie owners tell me that my dog is most certainly a sheltie mix, corgi owners typically insist he's mostly corgi, etc. When he was a baby, a couple of different poodle owners tried to convince me that he wasn't a cattledog mix at all, but most likely some sort of poodley/spaniel mix.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
This is our mutt, Tilly. She was found on the side of the road. When we took her to the vet, they seemed confident they'd seen her littermates, and that she's a Rottweiler/Malamute mix. We thought she had some German Shepherd in her, but really she could have a zillion breeds somewhere in there. I guess I can see the Rottweiler a bit in her coloring? She was 17 pounds at 8 weeks.

Here she is at 6 weeks, when we got her:

And a few days ago, at ~10 weeks:

This one shows her coloring better. She's got a black stripe down her spine, and her tail has a ring of black fur on it.

What do you guys think?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Dr. Octagon posted:

What do you guys think?

17 pounds at 8 weeks? I think she's going to be loving huge.

My pup was 9 lbs at 8 weeks, and will be ~40 fully grown.

I don't have any good guesses though -- Malamute isn't a bad idea looking at her coat texture. She's a bit too young to see anything concrete yet.

snarkcookie
Mar 25, 2007

Delicious Sarcastic Morsels with Every Bite!
I posted in the "post your pet thread" but I thought I'd update here too.

I definitely think you guys are right with cattle dog, although her ears are much bigger then I've seen on that breed. They look very German Shepherd to me.

A good side view, showing off her lack of tail.

Face profile.

Also, A Handful of Dust, your dog is gorgeous! He must shed like crazy.

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?

snarkcookie posted:

I posted in the "post your pet thread" but I thought I'd update here too.

I definitely think you guys are right with cattle dog, although her ears are much bigger then I've seen on that breed. They look very German Shepherd to me.

Face profile.

Also, A Handful of Dust, your dog is gorgeous! He must shed like crazy.

African Painted Dog.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

snarkcookie posted:

Brisbane says cattledog mixes sometimes have enormous ears, and he appreciates your Eardog.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

snarkcookie posted:

Cuuuute. Aussie/GSD mix? Those ears. :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Kerfuffle posted:

Cuuuute. Aussie/GSD mix? Those ears. :3:

This was my thought. Adorable dog no matter what though :3:

snarkcookie
Mar 25, 2007

Scary Ned posted:

Brisbane says cattledog mixes sometimes have enormous ears, and he appreciates your Eardog.

Good point. I sort of wish Keira had Brisbane's awesome fuzzy hair around her ears because its adorable. :3:

Are Brisbane's ears retractable? I apologize for the blurriness, but I don't have any other examples as she only does this when getting or about to be pet. Or she's just gotten caught doing something she ought not and is trying to appeal to me with her cuteness.

Could be Aussie/GSD, but she does have the webbed toes which I think are the Catahoula influence, assuming the shelter was right about that. She's not a super fan of water but on her first hike this weekend was coaxed into wading a river and was a swimming natural.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Briz developed the earbeards later. He went from beagley baby

to Cessna in about 3 days.

He does the disappearing ears thing for various reasons, including tolerating puppies. This was an incredibly hard picture to find, I ten to only save the ones where his ears are all giant and magnificent.

He also does a ad face where they ears slide down the sides of his head.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Scary Ned posted:

Briz developed the earbeards later. He went from beagley baby

to Cessna in about 3 days.

He does the disappearing ears thing for various reasons, including tolerating puppies. This was an incredibly hard picture to find, I ten to only save the ones where his ears are all giant and magnificent.

He also does a ad face where they ears slide down the sides of his head.

I can't see any pictures. Looks like you ran out of photobucket bandwidth. :(

Terrestrial Octopus
Nov 5, 2008

Terrestrial Octopus posted:

I got a dog! :neckbeard:

So its taken me a bit to gather myself, but Arthur-King-of-the-Britons went to live with a new family last week. As it turned out, he suffers from very severe seperation anxiety, and nothing we tried could help him at all. With both my boyfriend and myself working full time, it just wasn't fair for Arthur to spend so much of every weekday miserable. I wish I could've afforded to send him to doggy daycare for the rest of his life, but I can't. So, I found a stay-at-home mom with 3 kids and another young small-breed dog to keep him company; Arthur won't ever have to be alone again.

I know he'll be MUCH better off, but I cried like a baby anyway. The house is just so quiet. :(

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
What kind of dog is this?

SilverThread
Jun 18, 2004

Kick the Emo

Terrestrial Octopus posted:

I got a dog! :neckbeard:

We were told he's a Wirehair Daschund X Yorkshire Terrier. Seems likely enough, but neither of those really seem to account for his giant mis-matched ears or his extra-long tail, which he carries in a big curl over his back when he walks (loose curl like an Akita, not a tight curl like a Pug).

PI pacification list ;)
-was adopted from the local shelter
-is already neutered
-is in the process of transitioning from lovely shelter food to Wellness Small Breed
-will be enrolled in the shelter’s next basic obedience class, which starts in ~2 months
-has a 3b/2bath house to roam, and a ¼ acre fenced in yard to play in
-will be visiting the local dog park frequently once he finishes his shots (shelter estimated him at ~10-12 months old, but he’s only just had his first round of vaccines)

I know this is from a while back, and that you've recently had to give up the dog, but where did you get him from? He looks EXACTLY like the dog my husband and I just got from a shelter in San Marcos, TX. She's about 7 months old now. (She seems to have some separation anxiety issues as well. I don't know if it's just because she's small or what...:()

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SilverThread fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 27, 2010

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Vanderloo posted:

A doberman pinscher. Why is it here?

Terrestrial Octopus
Nov 5, 2008

SilverThread posted:

Adorable puppy :)

I live in northern FL; Arthur came to us from the local animal shelter as well. He was ~ a year old when we got him, and the seperation anxiety was very firmly established. To the point that he works himself into a panic when left alone even for only a few minutes; vomiting, destroying everything in reach, making these shrill little barks/cries constantly, chewing on crate bars enough to make his mouth bleed... its awful. And yet apparently the shelter knew nothing about it. :rolleyes:

I'd say if your girl is still exhibiting only mild symptoms, you should dig into the research on desensitization/exposure training ASAP, to try to nip it in the bud. Its heartbreaking to try to fix after the fact, and not always possible.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Meet Isis. I rescued her from a local humane society about two months ago. They said she was a year old and weighed 30 lbs when I got her but I think she's probably more along the lines of 6-7 months and now weighs 45 lbs. I've noticed her fill out and all of my neighbors comment on how much bigger she is getting but I haven't noticed. Since I've had her she has barked maybe 5 individual barks. She loves to play with my girlfriends miniature beagle and makes puppy whimpers when they play. She is the master of tug of war. She was labeled as a lab mix but I'm pretty sure she has some pit in her. You can't really see in the photos but she is black, with brown between her ears and a slight brindle brown on her sides.

Terrestrial Octopus
Nov 5, 2008
^^ I love those pictures. She's trying so hard to stay still so you can get the shot... but her tail is wagging so fast its a complete blur in both pics :3

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

thethuthinnang posted:

Bacchus looks very similar to my mutt Ruari I posted earlier in the thread who was labeled as a beagle mix at the shelter we got her from. She had 2 sisters and 3 brothers there as well. You didn't happen to get him in NoVA did you?

Click here for the full 478x720 image.

Click here for the full 721x481 image.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

Here's Taco. She's about 12 years old and is a complete bastard to me. She loves my mom and tolerates the rest of us. The only breed I know she has in her is dachshund. We picked her up from our neighborhood tennis courts where she was a stray about 11 years ago
Some fun facts: Won't go outside if the grass is wet, regularly checks my trash can for food and knocks it over, likes to get up and move if someone other than our mom sits next to her, yappy.

Still love her

Only registered members can see post attachments!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Vanderloo posted:

My friend has a dog that could be this one's twin, and my best guess is some combination of Rottweiler, Doberman, and maybe Great Dane (because Sid is loving tall).

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vanderloo posted:

Definitely a Dobe/Rott mix, cute fellow. Dobermans are naturally very tall/slender so I would rule out the Dane bit.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

adventure in the sandbox posted:

My friend has a dog that could be this one's twin, and my best guess is some combination of Rottweiler, Doberman, and maybe Great Dane (because Sid is loving tall).

Abandon All Hope posted:

Definitely a Dobe/Rott mix, cute fellow. Dobermans are naturally very tall/slender so I would rule out the Dane bit.

Thanks, I thought I was going crazy. She was advertised as a Rottweiler with a "little bit" of Doberman, which I don't think is true. I'd say she's more Doberman with a little Rottie in her. Can't complain though as she's a great dog who was free.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is Onyx as a badly abused puppy:

According to the rescue group, he's a "Manchester Terrier Mix" who was going to be "around 25lbs or so."
Here's Onyx now, three years later:

He's about 65lbs, his tail was badly docked as a puppy, he herds the cats, and he does the intense dropped down stare thing. He's also smart as hell and will play fetch for days. He's an Ausweiler Shepercollie. :colbert:

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
So my puppy loves two things, running around in grass and swimming in water. Today she found a way to incorporate the two very quickly. I let her run around without a leash cause it's a really big park and she's good off a leash, we cross over this creek into a big field where she likes to run around in the tall grass.

Well she's running around having the time of her life, crosses over the trail and bolts straight forward towards the creek. I was watching her like "uh oh she's not going to turn..." *SPLASH* as she jumps down this like 15 foot ledge into the small creek.

Luckily she wasn't hurt or anything because it was quite hilarious.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Got the DNA test results back today on my mutt (a friend gave me a test kit for graduation).

According to the test, Kara is (in order of their suspected contribution):
Labrador retriever
Mastiff
Boston terrier
Springer spaniel
Bassett hound

Though the tests can be very hit or miss, the results actually make a lot of sense for her. She looks like a lab, but is too small. She has brindle points (a gene carried by both mastiffs and bostons). She has a long back and too-short front legs. Her nose and ears are both shorter than they should be for a lab. When you get past how much she looks like a lab, she has an attitude and general look to her that is very houndlike, and people often ask me if she is part beagle.

I don't put tons of stock in the results, but found it interesting that they fit well with many of her features. The test was easy and it was fun getting the results. I'd reccomend it if you are curious and have some extra money to burn.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ceridwen posted:

Got the DNA test results back today on my mutt (a friend gave me a test kit for graduation).
As I read your post I was kind of laughing because I wonder if they are like dog versions of horoscopes and you end up subconsciously looking for the results in a way to where they fit. :v:

Wide Area Network
May 6, 2009

Connecting the world...FOR EVIL

Wide Area Network posted:

Just rescued this little gentleman two days ago. He couldn't be any sweeter. My best guess is German Shepherd/Rhodesian? Any other thoughts?

His name is Wally Backman.

Wally is now 3.5 months old. He's 25 pounds and growing what seems like an inch taller every day. He can put his paws on the top of my raised mattress and stare at me when I try to sleep. He sleeps through the night now, which is AWESOME.

Click here for the full 648x484 image.

Click here for the full 480x648 image.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Ears! They're starting to stand up!

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
I have more pictures of Jack now. He is so impossible to photograph...I can only get pics of him laying down. If I call him to get up for pictures he gets super excited and licks the lens...over and over :(

Jack just had loads of new spots come in. He's getting even more on the white side of his face. I tried to take some pictures but they are kind of hard to see:

We gave him a bath last night and you could see all of them really really clearly. He has ~100 at least. What breed has spots that come in like this? (don't say dalmatian :()

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Australian cattledogs have spots like that, and they come in gradually from puppyhood onward. Brisbane changed colors and coat patterns a ton during his first year.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

The spotting you see is normally referred to as ticking, and it comes in gradually as the dog ages. Aussies can also tick like that, but I've not seen them come in that late before. Cohen got her few ticks within the first 6 months or so.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
he's always had a few spots, but now he's got tons more coming in. We are unsure of his age because we adopted him, but the vet guessed that he is almost a year now.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Meet Leo

He's supposed to be part wheaton terrier, but heck if I know what the rest of him is.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

deratomicdog posted:

He's supposed to be part wheaton terrier, but heck if I know what the rest of him is.

Yellow lab!

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
We adopted this little guy from a rescue shelter on Saturday. He's about 7-8 months old. There has been a great debate about what mix he is. Most like some type of corgi mix.

Kali11324 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 9, 2010

snarkcookie
Mar 25, 2007

We're dog sitting for the boyfriends parents while they move, so Keiras got a friend to play fight for hours and hours with.

Thought I'd post Shiloh since she's a nice mutt mix as well. Playing some tug. Keira's slightly bigger then Shiloh.

Shiloh is incredible fast and hyper, you'd never guess that she's nearly 10 years old.

Looking very cattle dog.

Also just because :3

Mmmmmmm, toesssss.

And Kali11324, I have no idea what your pup is, but he's adorable in a dopey way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Kali11324 posted:

We adopted this little guy from a rescue shelter on Saturday. He's about 7-8 months old. There has been a great debate about what mix he is. Most like some type of corgi mix.

I'm seeing sealion.