Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

crime fighting hog posted:

Special "It came from FaceBook!" edition

(X) posted: I PLEDGE
ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND TO THE
REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH
LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL. (I grew up saying this every morning in
school - it's a shame we no longer do that for fear of offending
...someone). NOW, LET'S SEE HOW MANY AMERICANS WILL REPOST AND NOT CARE
ABOUT OFFENDING ANYONE

I commented saying "We still do this?" but I imagine he'll just say something about atheists ruining the country.
Came to post this one, so I'll post this one instead.

some retard on facebook posted:

okay michelle obama, why don't you go run up the deficit some more so you can take your vacation and use a jet plane that costs $11000 per hour, and so you can have around the clock security that costs almost $100000 total.....courtesy of us taxpayers ....aren't you obamas rich enough to afford that on your own?

Yeah? Where the gently caress were you when Bush vacationed all the loving time in Crawford?

Also in regards to that weapons email, I like how they say the weapons were a mixed variety of Russian, Chinese and Afghan made weapons.

When the gently caress did Afghanistan start importing weapons?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"It's a shame we no longer do that"?

What the gently caress is he talking about, I had to say it every single morning K-12 without fail. Hell, it was mandatory. As far as I know that is pretty much the case in every public school.

I really don't remember elementary or middle school, but in high school we only did the pledge once a week. It is also definitely non compulsory, although you couldn't tell a few of the teachers that. I was quite pleased when the Vice Principal told my art teacher she couldn't give me detention for not standing during the pledge.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

Boondock Saint posted:

Came to post this one, so I'll post this one instead.

Yeah? Where the gently caress were you when Bush vacationed all the loving time in Crawford?

Also in regards to that weapons email, I like how they say the weapons were a mixed variety of Russian, Chinese and Afghan made weapons.

Why can't Michelle Obama and her security detail vacation like normal people????

These guys really don't understand the security required for a head of state, since the closest anyone got to Bush ever was a flying shoe.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Law in PA the P o A must be said but students do not have to say it.

P o A is really freaky and weird especially the god part. When I taught I was always really conflicted.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I actually did voluntarily refuse to say the pledge starting from Middle school due to my opposition to the war and because I didn't want to say "under God", and I got so much flak for it it's unbelievable. I was sent to the office countless times, accused (by my teachers!) of being a "Commie" and a "Russian", had various "long chats" where I had to defend the fact that I didn't hate America or anything like that, etc. Ultimately, it's your right to not say the pledge, but it was a hell of an effort and I was harassed every step of the way for it. Preposterous that people would actually feel defensive about wanting to say the pledge-- reminds me of that "well what about when women rape men?!" and "well what about reverse racism?!" mindset.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Boondock Saint posted:

I love not only how deceptive these "WELL LOOK AT HOW MUCH OBAMA'S FAMILY SPENDS ON FRIVOLITY MY TAX DOLLARS" emails are, but that even if they were true they're a drop in the bucket compared to how much we're spending on the military.

Actually a drop in the bucket is the understatement of the year.

hitension posted:

I actually did voluntarily refuse to say the pledge starting from Middle school due to my opposition to the war and because I didn't want to say "under God", and I got so much flak for it it's unbelievable. I was sent to the office countless times, accused (by my teachers!) of being a "Commie" and a "Russian", had various "long chats" where I had to defend the fact that I didn't hate America or anything like that, etc. Ultimately, it's your right to not say the pledge, but it was a hell of an effort and I was harassed every step of the way for it. Preposterous that people would actually feel defensive about wanting to say the pledge-- reminds me of that "well what about when women rape men?!" and "well what about reverse racism?!" mindset.

Jesus. Can I ask where you grew up?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Actually a drop in the bucket is the understatement of the year.

In this context it would be an overstatement.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"It's a shame we no longer do that"?

What the gently caress is he talking about, I had to say it every single morning K-12 without fail. Hell, it was mandatory. As far as I know that is pretty much the case in every public school.

For me, 80's to mid 90's in Oregon, we only did it for school assemblies after 5th grade. Mid way through 6th grade I learned that you could sit through it on "religious" grounds from a fellow student who's family was Jehovah Witness, and I stopped doing it altogether. Most of the other students where just mouthing the words or saying parodies any way.

Thinking back, I'm not even sure we did it for assemblies in high school at all. Either that, or I just got so used to sitting through them I just forgot about it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

In this context it would be an overstatement.

Eh? A drop in the bucket means a very small amount of the whole. How much the Obama family spends on travel is microscopic compared to military spending.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh? A drop in the bucket means a very small amount of the whole. How much the Obama family spends on travel is microscopic compared to military spending.

I think he was trying to say that even "a drop in the bucket" was overstating how much the Obama travel fund costs.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

OrangeKing posted:

I think he was trying to say that even "a drop in the bucket" was overstating how much the Obama travel fund costs.

Oh. I suppose either works, depends on what direction you're taking the comment. We knew what we meant so disregard.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Boondock Saint posted:

I think you mean exporting. :eng101: And yeah, I noticed that too. Sure, Afghans have their own cottage industry for Kalashnikov copies et cetera, but they all go for fighting their own little wars. Afghanistan doesn't even have trade ports so they'd have to go through Pakistan. It would be incredibly daft to export handmade guns from there to North or Central America, might as well start smuggling drugs from USA to Mexico.

Vonnegut Asterisk
Apr 14, 2007

Brandon, you put Pat White down this instant young man!

ABOUT OFFENDING ANYONE

I commented saying "We still do this?" but I imagine he'll just say something about atheists ruining the country.

You know what other country has to pledge allegiance everyday? North Korea.

Little strange that you want to limit my free speech, eh Comrade?

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

My friend just responded with this: idk, but they dont cuz it reps the G-man...

What the gently caress?

"I don't know, but they don't do [the pledge] because it represents God."

Perhaps you could ask him what his opinion would be if the muslim students replaced the word "God" with "Allah?"

Or if public schools began teaching Catholicism to students?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I thought G-man meant big government?

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

90% chance he means god there, but he's probably unwilling to type it out if it doesn't come copy-pasted from something. The actual definition of "G-man" doesn't make sense in context.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

It's The Gambler, dude's just a huge Kenny Rodgers fan.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

In my understanding, it comes from Government Man and more specifically was used as a referral to FBI agents in some old detective novels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nenonen posted:

In my understanding, it comes from Government Man and more specifically was used as a referral to FBI agents in some old detective novels.

J Edgar Hoover made up the term and got it popularized by claiming a criminal ("Machine Gun" Kelly) called the agents that when he was caught.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

There isn't really anything new opinion-wise about this email, but I had to post it just for the gifs. Also, imagine the text is all comic sans.

quote:

Subject: TO PEE OR NOT TO PEE

Like most folks in this country, I have a job. I
work, they pay me.
I pay my taxes & the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit.

In order to get that paycheck, in my case, I am required to pass a random urine test (with which I have no problem).

What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test.

So, here is my question: Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Please understand, I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sitting on their BUTT----doing drugs while I work.

Can you imagine how much money each state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?

I guess we could call the program "URINE OR YOU'RE OUT"!

Pass this along if you agree or simply delete if you don't. Hope you all will pass it along, though. Something has to change in this country - AND SOON!
P.S. Just a thought, all politicians should have to pass a urine test too!

Hmm, need to make my opinions more palatable. Better add some gifs straight out of 1995.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Somehow I feel like having to administer urine tests to everyone who needs government aid would actually not save any money at all!

e: And I also feel like many conservatives, faced with this obvious refutation of the point, would respond with "well, then obviously we ought to just shut down welfare entirely" or even suggest that it's worth spending extra money just so no drug users can "cheat" the system.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Put the loving gun down if you don't want to be labeled crazy, dude.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

shotgunbadger posted:

What's in his pocket? ANOTHER GUN?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

shotgunbadger posted:

His fingers on the trigger that's not very good safety protocol.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

His fingers on the trigger that's not very good safety protocol.

trigger discipline goes out the window shortly after they took away...his freedom

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

trigger discipline goes out the window shortly after they took away...his freedom

Gather you armies

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

Frankly it seems like a huge invasion of privacy to have to take a urine test at your place of work (unless you're a pro athlete or something). I'd see that as more of a problem than MAH TAXES going to the poor.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

quote:

I guess we could call the program "URINE OR YOU'RE OUT"!
Ok this part was great

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I think requiring random UAs for federal politicians would be the quickest method of ending the war on drugs.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

shotgunbadger posted:

He looks really sad that no one's around to shoot at.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Toad on a Hat posted:

He looks really sad that no one's around to shoot at.

Yea that's a terrible image to use really, ol Gus is just wigglin his gun all around and he's just so sad he can't shoot someone, and we're supposed to go 'that poor man being called crazy!'.

Stoic Madman
Dec 4, 2004
This title space left unintentionally blank
I know right-wing types who actually feel that not being allowed to shoot people they personally disagree with is a horrible infringement on their rights. They view having their beliefs challenged as an attack that is no different from being shot at, and therefore, meriting armed response.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

ABOUT OFFENDING ANYONE

I have to cover a lot of government meetings for work and every single one starts with the pledge (and some with a prayer). I've literally just started saying "blah blah blah" sotto voce.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

There's a man on YouTube who ran as an independent for some political office (I'm not sure which one) in Colorado, and he makes a ton of videos.

Well, it appears that "some viewer" wrote him about some topics, and he made a video based on that letter.

For your amusement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4sn5t0zwJ0

Which of you goons is this in the video?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dameius posted:

Subject: Can you believe this?

The angel of he Lord encamps around those who fear Him and He delivers them.
The righteous cry out and the Lord hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles.
Ps. 34: 7 and 17

THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS STATEMENT EVER MADE BY A PUBLIC OFFICIAL, LET ALONE BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. AND THIS GUY IS OUR "COMMANDER IN CHIEF".

HERE IS HIS RESPONSE WHEN HE BACKED OFF FROM HIS DECISION
TO REQUIRE THE MILITARY PAY FOR THEIR WAR INJURIES.

Bad press, including major mockery of the plan by comedian Jon
Stewart, led to President Obama abandoning his proposal to require
veterans carry private health insurance to cover the estimated $540
million annual cost to the federal government of treatment for injuries
to military personnel received during their tours on active duty. The
President admitted that he was puzzled by the magnitude of the
opposition to his proposal.

"Look, it's an all volunteer force," Obama complained.

"Nobodymade these guys go to war.

They had to have known and accepted the risks.
Now they whine about bearing the costs of their choice? It
doesn't compute.." "I thought these were people who were proud to
sacrifice for their country, "Obama continued. "I wasn't asking for
blood, just money. With the country facing the worst financial crisis in its
history, I'd have thought that the patriotic thing to do would be to try to help
reduce the nation's deficit. I guess I underestimated the
selfishness of some of my fellow Americans."

Please pass this on to every vet and their
families whom you know.

REMEMBER THIS STATEMENT... "Nobody made these guys go to war. They had to have known and accepted the risks. Now they whine about bearing the costs of their choice?"

If this jerk thinks he will ever get another vote from anyone who is or has been

associated with the military service he's nuts.. If you or a family member

is serving or has served their country, please send this to them.

I'm guessing that everyone, other than the 20-25 percent hardcore liberals

in the US , will agree that this is another example of why Obama is the worst
president in American history. Remind everyone over-and-over how this
man thinks, while he bows to the Saudi Arabian king.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/veteranshealth.asp

tl;dr version: conservative reads another conservatives satire and thinks its God's honest truth. Fires up the old internets to send me an email. I do not know when some one injected the psalm into the chain but it adds a touch of class to the whole thing.

This one. I am in the Coast Guard and got this on the internal email. gently caress. I sent reply all the snopes link and a heated warning to check fact before you slander you commander-in-cheif. This was a year ago and sent to about 100 people. Contrary to most cases here, he got a very embarrased response about the mistake. The guy reply alled his response too, so you CAN change opinions guys. Or at least make people question crazy claims they read! Keep fighting the retardation.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 10, 2010

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
In this case the happy from the correction of something that really shouldn't even need a correction (seriously there's no one on this side of Sharron Angle who would even think that near a microphone) is completely cancelled out by the sadness of knowing that was going around in an internal coast gaurd email.

I was born with a heart full of neutrality.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Can someone help me with this "Three Things about Islam" video that's making the rounds on all of the crazy "Islam Watch" websites (and of course, my Holocaust-survivor grandparents' email chains)?

I'm hesitant to link the video because I don't want to increase its hit count, but it basically says Islam is different from other religions because of these 3 things:

1. Muslims believe the Qu'ran is to be taken literally, with no interpretation needed, and with the newest passages taking precedence over the earlier ones
  2. Islam is less a religion than a "religious ideology", because Sharia is a mandatory legal and political plan for all of society that constitutes a totalitarian means of ordering society at every level (the video then goes into "creeping Sharia", scare slides about Sharia already having a "foot in the door" in Europe, Sharia orders that drinkers be whipped! etc)
  3. Muslims are allowed to deceive non-Muslims if it helps Islam ("there are many examples of Muslim leaders today saying one thing in English to the Western press, followed by saying something completely different to their followers in Arabic [scary font])

The first point seems easy enough to refute. The very existence of different sects of Islam would indicate to me that the Qu'ran is in fact open to interpretation.

The other ones I'm not sure what to say, other than "nuh uh".

Video if you really want to watch some racist propaganda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib9rofXQl6w

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

None of those things are inherent in or exclusive to Islam. :psyduck:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't watch the video but I love the "creeping Islam in Europe!" themes. It's like unhistory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Papercut posted:

The first point seems easy enough to refute. The very existence of different sects of Islam would indicate to me that the Qu'ran is in fact open to interpretation.
Well, I don't think this is a very good refutation. There are a million factions of Christianity and only like three or four of them don't take the Bible literally. Somehow they all and up being different sects regardless.