Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

TeMpLaR posted:

Some of you may remember me complaining about my mirror being knocked off by a snowplow, and my car also being keyed. It was keyed again on Monday and I have had enough.

I am having all dents and dings and keying fixed, a full detail done, and then I am selling my World Rally Blue 06 STI. It only has 30K miles on it. I was not doing that car justice by letting it get beat up on street parking. In a few weeks it will be gone, and I will be sad.

In other news if anyone is looking for an STI that was well maintained and has low miles, I'm your guy.

You could get some of that 3m clear bra, wrap stuff and then laugh at people when they *try* to key your car. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Or, you could start rallycrossing so your paint gets hosed up by rocks and dirt instead of morons.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Or, you could start rallycrossing so your paint gets hosed up by rocks and dirt instead of morons.

This is a good idea.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
And it'd be a using the car for what it was intended for!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TeMpLaR posted:

This is a good idea.
Plus, when you repaint it after the rallycrossing is over, the new paint will be thicker than the Subaru OEM paint! It's a win-win.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
edit: more of a stupid question than a subaru question.

What is the best bang for the buck, after an access port(or tires or driving classes or auto-x), that you can do to an 04 WRX?

vains fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 7, 2010

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

TeMpLaR posted:

Some of you may remember me complaining about my mirror being knocked off by a snowplow, and my car also being keyed. It was keyed again on Monday and I have had enough.

I am having all dents and dings and keying fixed, a full detail done, and then I am selling my World Rally Blue 06 STI. It only has 30K miles on it. I was not doing that car justice by letting it get beat up on street parking. In a few weeks it will be gone, and I will be sad.

In other news if anyone is looking for an STI that was well maintained and has low miles, I'm your guy.

Where are you located? My buddy is in the market for an unmolested STI at the moment and has cash in hand. PM me, or email me - <username> @ gmail

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Veins McGee posted:

What is the best bang for the buck, after an access port(or tires or driving classes or auto-x), that you can do to an 04 WRX?

Well what are you looking to get? Power, handling, etc?

If you want more power the next step would be an aftermarket downpipe (at which time you can use Stage 2 OTS maps).

If you want better handling probably going with some 22mm swaybars front and rear would give you some more precise handling characteristics.

DP's go from $200-$600 depending on if you want it cat'd or not. Sway bars are about $150 each.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Amandyke posted:

If you want more power the next step would be an aftermarket downpipe (at which time you can use Stage 2 OTS maps).

Isn't a down-pipe alone going to be limited still? My understanding was that you have to do both a DP and exhaust to open the thing up, otherwise you're just moving the bottleneck point back and thus why the AP's stage two wants both.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FormulaXFD posted:

Isn't a down-pipe alone going to be limited still? My understanding was that you have to do both a DP and exhaust to open the thing up, otherwise you're just moving the bottleneck point back and thus why the AP's stage two wants both.
I know with the Legacy GT, if questioned, Cobb says the stock cat-back system is freeflowing enough for stage 2. (And I've been doing this for over a year)
However, the WRX exhaust is not as free-flowing so I dunno.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah just the downpipe and a flash makes a huge difference.

Like I said a few pages ago, we put just a downpipe and intake on a forester xt, and tuned it, and made 250 at the wheels. Not exactly sure about the dyno but a stock car should make 180-200

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jamal posted:

Yeah just the downpipe and a flash makes a huge difference.

Like I said a few pages ago, we put just a downpipe and intake on a forester xt, and tuned it, and made 250 at the wheels. Not exactly sure about the dyno but a stock car should make 180-200

Do Foresters the same exhaust as a WRX?

How hard is it to find used 2nd gen AP's and what would I expect to pay for one? I feel like if I take my car to Surgeline for a tune-up then I might want to pick up the AP at the same time and flash it... a new DP might be in the budget as well.

I think I should probably take advantage of having Tim Bailey in our backyard at some point.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah an 04-08 forester xt drivetrain is identical to an 06-07 wrx. Then after 08 I don't think they put the bigger turbo in the forester.

Buy all the drat parts you can before you get a tune. When you see tim tell him a guy he's been to roscoes with sent you.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Having been lightly sold with the AP, I'm picking up a DP but will need to add a cat to it, plus it doesn't use the donut gasket so I'll be having to fab the rest of the exhaust. Having the parts ready to go is kinda hard if you want to be cheap.

When Tim/Surgeline quoted me for the stuff they carry (off the shelf and ready to go, catted as well) it came out to $1700. So if you go the route of parts in hand, be ready to pay for it (And their exhaust still has the defacto rice tip :sigh:).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Veins McGee posted:

Alignment.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

MMD3 posted:

How hard is it to find used 2nd gen AP's and what would I expect to pay for one? I feel like if I take my car to Surgeline for a tune-up then I might want to pick up the AP at the same time and flash it... a new DP might be in the budget as well.

AP's are 350-400 bucks used and you should be able to find a downpipe for 100 bucks. Check NWIC on Nasioc (*shudder* I hate nasioc as much as the next guy, but the regional forums aren't so bad) you'll find what you need in the for sale section.

MMD3 posted:

I think I should probably take advantage of having Tim Bailey in our backyard at some point.

This is my plan as well as I'm in Portland. You may also want to look into what an intake is worth power wise on your car, I've seen them squeeze another 15-20hp on some cars with a custom tune.

If you're impatient or not wanting to put out another 350-400 bucks for a custom tune the Cobb off the shelf maps are pretty great. If you're uncomfortable with doing the downpipe install I'd be happy to help you out.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Cat Terrist posted:

Alignment.

Should be done regardless on the ground of being basic maintenance.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm stunned at how much of a difference my performance alignment made. I'm assuming Subaru just kept the stock alignment setup to keep morons from killing themselves, because now it feels like if I were just going fast enough and had bald enough tires I could do 180s in place.

It's so agile that now I finally understand how guys can do autocross without massive understeer all the time.

Sadly, the alignment found that some part of my right front suspension is tweaked, but to such a small extent that it's difficult to figure out which piece is at fault. I pull a little to the right on crowned roads when decelerating, so I think it might be the control arm.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Any recommended turbo back exhausts? I'm guessing that they're all more or less the same and it really depends on your preference for sound/looks. (04 WRX)

vains fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 8, 2010

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

allonblack posted:

AP's are 350-400 bucks used and you should be able to find a downpipe for 100 bucks. Check NWIC on Nasioc (*shudder* I hate nasioc as much as the next guy, but the regional forums aren't so bad) you'll find what you need in the for sale section.

This is my plan as well as I'm in Portland. You may also want to look into what an intake is worth power wise on your car, I've seen them squeeze another 15-20hp on some cars with a custom tune.

If you're impatient or not wanting to put out another 350-400 bucks for a custom tune the Cobb off the shelf maps are pretty great. If you're uncomfortable with doing the downpipe install I'd be happy to help you out.

oh awesome, another Subie owner in Portland!

whereabouts are you?

what are some good brands I should be looking into? do used Cobb DP's go up on NASIOC very often?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Cat Terrist posted:

Alignment.

I just had my 07 wrx wagon aligned, but I since I was doing it to fix some uneven tire wear I just had it done stock. If I wanted a "performance" alignment, what do I tell them to set it to? Or do I have to go to someone special?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Lots of negative camber in the front. Its not possible to have too much with the stock adjusters. I run -2.5 on the street and my tires wear pretty even. Just a touch extra wear on the inside, but over a whole set it wasn't a problem.

As for exhaust, cobb uses the stock donut gasket. If you want a full turboback get something that is 3" all the way through. You also want a downpipe with a nice cast bellmouth. Cobb, harman motive, and plenty of other places do this. lovely ebay ones are stretched out steel that is likely to crack.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Here is a cellphone photo of the alignment specs my guy dialled in for my 06 (my scanner is broken as hell). I am lowered 22mm. You can see where he had to do a little bit (0.5°) of compensate for my RF caster.

edit: Jesus, this is a terrible photo. If you can't read these lines out properly I'll try to take a scan at work later. Jamal, any insight into how my car has been set up? The guy who did it is a local from the club whose autocross '03 WRX sedan turns like a Miata on PCP.

Click here for the full 966x1133 image.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

FormulaXFD posted:

Should be done regardless on the ground of being basic maintenance.

There's alignments...

and there's real alignments, which change the whole character of the car and make it much quicker around a track with the understeer gone. The standard Subaru setting are not very good.... okay they are a bucket of poo poo.

The other thing that you cant get too much of is castor. Anti lift kits, free castor mods and spacers, STI / SpecC front control arms.... all exceptional ideas. And I add, if there is a camber curves issue (which there isnt) this is the way you fix it.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Cat Terrist posted:

There's alignments...

and there's real alignments, which change the whole character of the car and make it much quicker around a track with the understeer gone. The standard Subaru setting are not very good.... okay they are a bucket of poo poo.

Well this makes sense, given all the stuff I've been learning about how Subaru designs their cars. My own personal failure at life was thinking the STi was a WRX "completed," instead of both models being different "levels" with 'starter' settings out of the box (as in, this will get you to the shop where you're going to get poo poo done). [Not a ding on Subaru - the context is that where the WRX's components run out of steam, the STi is just getting started.]

I still have to replace my short-lived factory struts with the RCE Coil-overs. :sigh:

edit: Jesus, this is a terrible photo. If you can't read these lines out properly I'll try to take a scan at work later. Jamal, any insight into how my car has been set up? The guy who did it is a local from the club whose autocross '03 WRX sedan turns like a Miata on PCP.

I'm not sure what part of these settings are "mods," but eh here you go. A pretty excel spreadsheet.

FormulaXFD fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 9, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

The other thing that you cant get too much of is castor. Anti lift kits, free castor mods and spacers, STI / SpecC front control arms.... all exceptional ideas. And I add, if there is a camber curves issue (which there isnt) this is the way you fix it.
This has always confused me; I don't quite understand what caster "is." I understand that it lets you run less negative camber, but I don't understand how mechanically. Toe and camber are easy to intuitively understand but caster doesn't make sense. I've tried looking at different "suspension guides" on the internet but I feel like there's something essential missing to my understanding.

I just kind of trust that more camber = better, and so I'm going to get an anti-lift kit after the sway bars. The guy who set my car up recommended the Whiteline camber plate instead of the anti-lift kit, which is another option for about the same cost, but I can't properly determine the difference if any.

I know that McStruts' weakness is basically their complete lack of adjustable camber (and it's understandable since it comes from the Impreza, a relatively cheapo car compared to the STI and WRX).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

FormulaXFD posted:

Well this makes sense, given all the stuff I've been learning about how Subaru designs their cars. My own personal failure at life was thinking the STi was a WRX "completed," instead of both models being different "levels" with 'starter' settings out of the box (as in, this will get you to the shop where you're going to get poo poo done). [Not a ding on Subaru - the context is that where the WRX's components run out of steam, the STi is just getting started.]

I still have to replace my short-lived factory struts with the RCE Coil-overs. :sigh:

Well yep, the truth is that the STI is in no way where you go when the WRX is being maxed out - if you really want to go a long way you have to replace so many components that the base WRX really is the place to start - the only things that I would consider unquiely good would be the 6 speed gearbox and the R180 diff / hubs / driveshafts. Even then, there's plenty of internals that need to be changed.

The "completed" Subaru would be a full house Group N SpecC with the ludicous brakes, the plated diff, different (forged) engine internals, lightweight panels etc etc etc. The real beauty about how Subaru does the WRX (which you have noted pretty well there) is just how interchangable all these parts actually are and how easy it is to even start with a RS and build all the way to Lord knows what.

Some of the standard stuff is comically tragic.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
An update on the STI - I decided to keep it. I am doing something that some of you may deem sacrilegious: I am going to replace the wing with the STI Limited spoiler.

If it gets keyed again I am selling it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

TeMpLaR posted:

An update on the STI - I decided to keep it. I am doing something that some of you may deem sacrilegious: I am going to replace the wing with the STI Limited spoiler.

I don't think anyone here would ding you for wanting less attention, given the fact that you've been keyed.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

TeMpLaR posted:

Don't forget about that 3m invisible bra stuff... http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...m/VentureShield

Also where are you parking you car when it's getting keyed? I'm sure you've already thought about it, but perhaps moving the car to a different location might prevent such things from happening?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Amandyke posted:

Also where are you parking you car when it's getting keyed? I'm sure you've already thought about it, but perhaps moving the car to a different location might prevent such things from happening?

My 2.5i was keyed within the first 3 months of owning it and I'm in a place where almost every third car on the road is a Subaru. Then I started taking minor door dings so I went out of my way to park far away: in a parking lot I'll go 10-spaces away from the next open spot closer to the store, and I'll still come out to find that some chucklefuck decided to wipe his door across mine.

Sometimes you just can't do poo poo to avoid trouble like that because people are cunts.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

MMD3 posted:

oh awesome, another Subie owner in Portland!

whereabouts are you?

what are some good brands I should be looking into? do used Cobb DP's go up on NASIOC very often?

I'm in NE near Mall 205. Not sure where you are, but there's lots of meets going on right now if you're at all interested in hanging out with a bunch of strangers ;). They can be pretty fun truth be told, and with summer winding down they're likely to get fewer and fewer. Wednesday night we meet in the now defunct circut city parking lot in Beaverton across the street from Washington Square.

Here's a few of the meets that are coming up -

Cobb/Surgeline open house and swap meet - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014540&highlight=swap+meet

Perrin Performance Airshow/Open house - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036074&highlight=swap+meet

Dick Hannah Subaru meetup - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2024881

And the weekly Wednesday meet - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1999826

Jamal may be able to chime in here and give you more info on what downpipes are worthwhile - but as far as I'm concerned a downpipe is a downpipe. The real choice is if you go with a divorced wastegate, and catted vs. non-catted.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Any of you guys installed a brake master cylinder brace? I'm looking at the Turn in Concepts brace because my brake feel is awful. It looks like an easy install, and it's probably cheaper than experimenting with rotors/pads/lines.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

allonblack posted:

Jamal may be able to chime in here and give you more info on what downpipes are worthwhile - but as far as I'm concerned a downpipe is a downpipe. The real choice is if you go with a divorced wastegate, and catted vs. non-catted.

I'm in the same boat as "a downpipe is a downpipe." The only differentiator is whether it was made well, meaning the bends are smooth, few in count and without kinks. Cobb/Surgeline sells one of the only catted DPs I've found at a sticker of $600. I bought a Godspeed bellmouth catless dp for $100. Blew $110 on a magnaflow spun cat, so for $210 I can get a catted DP. Huzzah for being able to TIG.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

allonblack posted:

I'm in NE near Mall 205. Not sure where you are, but there's lots of meets going on right now if you're at all interested in hanging out with a bunch of strangers ;). They can be pretty fun truth be told, and with summer winding down they're likely to get fewer and fewer. Wednesday night we meet in the now defunct circut city parking lot in Beaverton across the street from Washington Square.

Here's a few of the meets that are coming up -

Cobb/Surgeline open house and swap meet - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014540&highlight=swap+meet

Perrin Performance Airshow/Open house - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036074&highlight=swap+meet

Dick Hannah Subaru meetup - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2024881

And the weekly Wednesday meet - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1999826

I'm in SE, just off Burnside by Laurelhurst Park but I work in Beaverton at Nike so I know exactly where that parking lot is. I think I actually went to a Nissan meet there back when I had my old car.

I'm not a die-hard, talk about my car a lot Subie owner so I've always been a bit out of place at car meets but it might be a good way to find out about used AP's or DP's and get some idea of what people have done to their cars. Maybe I'll come out to one later this summer, will let you know if I do.

Thanks for the info, I suppose I should just keep an eye on NASIOC's regional forum when I'm ready to buy but I need to get some auto-body work done first.

Here's the Saabaru pre-ditch

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I should give you a ride since I work in Tanasbourne. "Here's the STi on stock map. Here it is on Stage 1 AP." :)

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

And I just got back from the dealer...

My grinding sound in my 02 RS is in the transmission. We just put a new clutch in and now according to the dealer tech, the front diff is grinding. They advised replacing the whole thing.

I'm looking for a 5speed with the help of the local Subaru club.

I'm going to be pissed if somehow me DIY'in my clutch managed to poo poo up my transmission.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

FormulaXFD posted:

I should give you a ride since I work in Tanasbourne. "Here's the STi on stock map. Here it is on Stage 1 AP." :)

ahhhh, that'd be rad actually ;) didn't know you were in town too... cool to know there's a small group of you in town, especially ones that know after market exhaust if I choose to go that route :D

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

And I just got back from the dealer...

My grinding sound in my 02 RS is in the transmission. We just put a new clutch in and now according to the dealer tech, the front diff is grinding. They advised replacing the whole thing.

I'm looking for a 5speed with the help of the local Subaru club.

I'm going to be pissed if somehow me DIY'in my clutch managed to poo poo up my transmission.
You should look for an STI transmission and axles, although I wonder if the gearing is really suitable for an NA motor. Six forward gears! DCCD! Launching all day at half the load it was designed for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

You should look for an STI transmission and axles, although I wonder if the gearing is really suitable for an NA motor. Six forward gears! DCCD! Launching all day at half the load it was designed for!

As awesome as that would be, an STi setup is worth literally more than my car.