Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can understand where he's coming from, I think films should be something that demand your entire focus (unless you've got poo poo to do because I know I'll get at least one "yeah but not everyone has hours of free time :rolleyes:" response), and it always bugs me when people post on here something like "Oh yeah so I'm watching Such-And-Such right now it's pretty good", because it's like yeah it is good so go watch it you dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Who in the gently caress is going to intentionally seek out a David Lynch movie only to half-way pay attention to it? :psyduck:

I realize he's not exactly an obscure filmmaker, but he does his thing in a pretty unique way and I don't think anyone would approach one of his films for casual, light viewing. No need to add an artificial layer of bullshit to it by not having chapters. Not really an artistic statement in my view.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Is there a way to tell apart the remastered and non-remastered Gangs of New York Blu Ray based on the packaging? I wanna buy it but I wanna get the right one.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Lucas posted:

Is there a way to tell apart the remastered and non-remastered Gangs of New York Blu Ray based on the packaging? I wanna buy it but I wanna get the right one.

The remastered one has a big black and gold border around the cover art. And when I say big I mean it's like 50% black border

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

RichterIX posted:

The remastered one has a big black and gold border around the cover art. And when I say big I mean it's like 50% black border

You're not kidding.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Hrmm. I liked the simplicity of the original design from the one-sheet much better. This one hurts my eyes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

Hrmm. I liked the simplicity of the original design from the one-sheet much better. This one hurts my eyes.
The title against that intricate ceiling is driving me crazy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

The Battlestar Galactica: Complete Series boxset is on sale at Amazon. $132.99, that's about $70 off the normal price elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036EH3U2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0036EH3U2

This one is back. I guess it's either going to be the permanent price or it is a temporary thing.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can understand where he's coming from, I think films should be something that demand your entire focus (unless you've got poo poo to do because I know I'll get at least one "yeah but not everyone has hours of free time :rolleyes:" response), and it always bugs me when people post on here something like "Oh yeah so I'm watching Such-And-Such right now it's pretty good", because it's like yeah it is good so go watch it you dipshit.

Reminds me of my friends. Everything I start a movie with them, one of them will go out for drinks/popcorn. "No, don't pause the movie I'll be right". You'll miss the movie and than ask us what is going on. I have to pause it. Why didn't you get that stuff before we turned it on? :argh:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Does anyone here have the BSG set on blu-ray? Would you say it was worth the upgrade from the dvds? I already own the entire series on dvd.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

qbert posted:

Does anyone here have the BSG set on blu-ray? Would you say it was worth the upgrade from the dvds? I already own the entire series on dvd.

Could you sell the DVDs and put that money towards the blu-ray set?

Blu-Ray.com has a review of the whole set up with screenshots. (Just ignore the packaging complaints, that is from the old set)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Battlestar-Galactica-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/5280/#Review

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Deadwood: The Complete Series has been given a street date of November 23.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Space_Butler posted:

Sweet, I am all over buying this.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Space_Butler posted:

I can't wait. Just so glad that it's not another title stuffed into October. This holliday season is going to be the best.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Cameo posted:

You're not kidding.

Ah, that explains why they're selling this movie for cheap at the Media Markt. I've become very suspicious of cheaply priced Blurays, sadly :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
The Darjeeling Blu-Ray is, hopefully, the first of the rest of Anderson's movies.

As I think about it, the list of Blu-Rays I really want to buy (which is a short list until they go down in price) are mostly of films that aren't on the format yet. Plus, I'm one of those that are really against buying a movie again, like Back to the Future or Terminator 2. Only my top 2% choice in films get that treatment.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Red posted:

I'm one of those that are really against buying a movie again, like Back to the Future or Terminator 2. Only my top 2% choice in films get that treatment.

Both those films should qualify :colbert:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Max22 posted:

Both those films should qualify

Difficult decisions have to be made in order to save the bank account.

Although, to clarify, I certainly wouldn't buy the BTTF trilogy on Blu-Ray, but I might consider buying just the first film...

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

We watched Revanche last night. Aside from being a beautiful film in just about every way, the BD looks fantastic.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Sporadic posted:

This one is back. I guess it's either going to be the permanent price or it is a temporary thing.

Reminds me of my friends. Everything I start a movie with them, one of them will go out for drinks/popcorn. "No, don't pause the movie I'll be right". You'll miss the movie and than ask us what is going on. I have to pause it. Why didn't you get that stuff before we turned it on? :argh:

I'm the same way with my best friend. Whenever we watch a movie he will do everything but actually watch the movie. I can't stand watching things with him because I can just see him out of the corner of my eye playing on his phone the entire time. If he's not playing on his phone he is constantly getting up to get food/drink or use the bathroom.

It's probably a little crazy on my part, but I find it to be somewhat very disrespectful. I just like movies to much :(

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

RichterIX posted:

What version is the good one? The Remastered?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Volcasarus ReX posted:

What version is the good one? The Remastered?

Yeah, you want the Remastered edition. The original Blu-ray is astonishingly bad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

8 1/2 finally arrived today and I immediately watched it. Might be the best B&W BluRay I've seen so far, at least up there with Repulsion and Dr. Strangelove. I'm really enjoying Criterion's PCM mono tracks. Even for a fully post-dubbed film, the fidelity is surprisingly nice.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'll echo the sentiment that A Prophet looks awesome and is awesome, I impulse bought it today because of the rave reviews it's been getting, and I'm not disappointed at all. Awesome movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVDBeaver has caps up for the UK Psycho... it looks good, but it seems to have mild DVNR:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare6/psycho.htm

Blu-Ray.com says Hamlet was hit with DVNR, too:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hamlet-Blu-ray/10381/#Review

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egbert Souse posted:

Fuuuuuck! How on earth do you screw up a movie shot on 70mm film within the last 2 decades? :argh:

edit: Someone over at AVS is saying The Indiana Jones Trilogy is strongly rumored to have a release announcement coming sometime this week. Take that with a grain of salt.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 12, 2010

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
Make-Out with Violence is finally getting a DVD/Blu-Ray release. It's a festival darling from a couple years back about three brothers who discover that their missing friend has become a zombie. It's more of a coming-of-age film than a zombie film though. Kinda like how The Lost Boys has vampires in it but isn't really about vampires.

It got some props at the Nashville and Atlanta festivals and was generally well-received at SxSW and some other fests. It's incredibly good for a feature debut. It's not without its flaws, but it is very well shot and a good watch. I'm a little biased because it was shot around here and I know some of the people who made it, but I've been waiting for a while to own it. It's just a shame that the limited package with the vinyl record only comes with the DVD. I'll probably double-dip just to support them though (plus I want that record, the music in the film is all original and all great).

http://www.factorytwentyfive.com/make-out-with-violence/

They've also got a pre-order up for the metal as gently caress documentary Until The Light Fades, about Norwegian black metal, on Blu-Ray. :black101:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

THERE IS NO :argh: BIG ENOUGH

AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I just bought the Blu of Kick-rear end, and I love that it came with a standard DVD copy (which, even if you don't have a Blu-Ray player, why wouldn't you buy the combo pack?). However, I have yet to open it - I'm strongly considering going back and exchanging it for A Single Man. Or maybe I'll just get both.

I'm sure the Kick-rear end Blu is great - has anyone else bought Single Man?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Red posted:

I just bought the Blu of Kick-rear end, and I love that it came with a standard DVD copy (which, even if you don't have a Blu-Ray player, why wouldn't you buy the combo pack?). However, I have yet to open it - I'm strongly considering going back and exchanging it for A Single Man. Or maybe I'll just get both.

I'm sure the Kick-rear end Blu is great - has anyone else bought Single Man?

A Single Man was put out by Sony so it looks great. The film is also incredible. I would return it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Red posted:

(which, even if you don't have a Blu-Ray player, why wouldn't you buy the combo pack?).

You'd be surprised. I have friends who want a blu-ray player but still don't buy the combo packs...

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

doctor thodt posted:

edit: Someone over at AVS is saying The Indiana Jones Trilogy is strongly rumored to have a release announcement coming sometime this week. Take that with a grain of salt.

Please let that be true, and please let the release be before the holidays. :ohdear:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mad Max 10/5
Highlander 11/2
The Bridge on the River Kwai 11/2

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

THERE IS NO :argh: BIG ENOUGH

AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

How does this even happen in 2010?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

qbert posted:

This was a couple days ago, but as someone who has all the DVDs as well as the blurays, I can respond with a resounding "gently caress yes." The place you'll most see a difference is in the space shots; my god some of them are so majestic and beautiful.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Beaver on Psycho.

Gary did his best to include some tits.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The Lucas posted:

A Single Man was put out by Sony so it looks great. The film is also incredible. I would return it.

I decided to stick with Kick-rear end and pick up ASM in the future. But holy hell, Best Buy puts their price stickers on the cardboard sleeves - sleeves that I don't throw away. The gummy crap left on the sleeve is loving IRRITATING. Thankfully, a careful touch, a damp paper towel and some scotch tape clean it off in a few minutes.

Sith Happens posted:

Please let that be true, and please let the release be before the holidays. :ohdear:

Trilogy? But... there are four movies...

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Red posted:

Isn't the fourth out on bluray already / why would anyone want it?

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Red posted:

There is no fourth movie :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

If they're going to force fans of the Alien movies to have to get Alien: Resurrection, which is a complete abortion of a film, then we can get Crystal Skull with the Indy flicks, which is the weakest of the four films, yes, but not a terrible movie.

• Locked thread