Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nroo posted:

Wait, what's going on :(

MHB threw off the rhythm with his Bicycle Thieves dilemma.

No Wave: pick one for Magic Hate Ball, not Nroo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nroo posted:

Wait, what's going on :(
I dunno, Magic Hate Ball just gave two recommendations I didn't know how to react.

But Magic Hate Ball, I haven't seen many of the movies on your list, watch Ikiru - while I can't speak to most of the ones your list, that one's pretty rad.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 4, 2010

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

No Wave, watch It's a Wonderful Life because I've got Capra on the mind and it's a very enjoyable movie.

VorpalBunny posted:

Caiman, watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Sure, it's a sentimental and hokey, but dadgummit it will stir something pure and awesome inside of you.

Naive, exaggerated and unrealistic? Sure, but it was charmingly naive and appropriately exaggerated/unrealistic. Capra makes movies that look at morality, integrity and idealism in very black and white terms. While it's not the kind of world view I want from every film I see, it works wonderfully in this film. The message is what matters here, and I for one appreciate a lack of cynicism every now and then. But aside from all that, the movie was quite entertaining and interesting (I have seen very few movies about the workings of the U.S. senate). Stewart was born to play this role. It's not a movie I'm going to watch a million times, but I'm very glad I saw it.

New list:

12 Angry Men
All About Eve
Spirited Away
Once Upon a Time in the West
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Das Boot - This is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - This is one pretty far up on my Netflix queue already.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - No idea why I haven't seen this one, especially considering how much I love Lawrence of Arabia.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

The Great Dictator - I began watching this on TCM a long time ago and had to stop for some reason. I liked what I saw, and I really enjoy Chaplin.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Touch of Evil - I haven't seen nearly enough Orson Welles.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

caiman, watch The Bridge on the River Kwai and marvel at the amazing shot composition and fantastic performances.

Dodesukaden may be Kurosawa's best film! I absolutely loved every expressionistic, melancholic, heartbreaking, stunningly beautiful moment in it. All those people and their daily drudgery painted in a sincere and sympathetic, but also brutal, light are achingly representative of the struggles of human existence. This film is a masterpiece of representing emotional realities without even a hint of manipulation. I know pretty much everything up there is just a bunch of words kind of strung together, but nothing I could write would express how impressive this film is. I can't believe I put off watching this for so long under the impression this was a second tier film. It's nothing of the sort.

Updated list:

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 2 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Nostalghia Tarkovsky's cool, guess I need to see this.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler Replacing one long Lang silent with another.

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

The Devils I've heard good stuff about this and the only Ken Russell film was a very pleasant surprise so I'd like to check out more.

Reds This is something about communists right?

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Peaceful Anarchy go and watch The Shootist while you're still all Westerned up.

I've just finished watching Badlands and thought it was excellent. I loved Sissy Spacek's monologues and how she captured the naive, innocence of her character and her awkwardness. I thought it was great at the end where he got caught and all the people in the hangar were flying questions at him while he was handing out souvenirs. He was a celebrity for all the wrong reasons, but still likeable. It's quite an odd romance flick, really, juxtaposed with murder but I think that's one of it's charms. The dialogue just sort of seems right a lot of the time. It feels very real the way one of the characters will just comment on something to no-one at all. I really enjoyed this film and thanks for the recommendation Peaceful Anarchy.

Updated List:

Casablanca
Cool Hand Luke - I loved Paul Newman in The Hustler but haven't seen any of his other films.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I don't think I've ever actually had the opportunity to watch this, but have heard great things.

Amadeus
Rear Window
Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are a genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown - While we're on the subject of Tarantino, this is another film that has never compelled me to watch it, despite a friend of mine relentlessly quoting Samuel Jackson's lines.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter - Heard it inspired suicides...not heard much else about it.

Badlands
The Graduate - I really don't know much about this film and I've not seen any of Hoffman's work before Rainman, really. Never had the opportunity to watch this.

Downfall
Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

mikewozere watch Cool Hand Luke and you'll see why Newman was such an icon.

Well, the Shootist was certainly all about John Wayne. I enjoyed it though maybe not in the way it was meant to. The script is decent enough that it could make a good western with any lead, but with Wayne there it becomes a story about him rather than the character. I laughed quite a bit every time someone poo poo on Wayne, which was quite a bit in the early going. As it goes on it goes for the heartstrings a bit more and that's just not going to work for me with Wayne in the lead. Still, overall I enjoyed it for what I got out of it.

Updated list:

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 2 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

The Devils I've heard good stuff about this and the only Ken Russell film was a very pleasant surprise so I'd like to check out more.

Goodbye Lenin This seems to be highly praised and I'm not as well versed in foreign cinema from the last 15 years as I'd like to be.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

caiman posted:

Naive, exaggerated and unrealistic? Sure, but it was charmingly naive and appropriately exaggerated/unrealistic. Capra makes movies that look at morality, integrity and idealism in very black and white terms. While it's not the kind of world view I want from every film I see, it works wonderfully in this film. The message is what matters here, and I for one appreciate a lack of cynicism every now and then. But aside from all that, the movie was quite entertaining and interesting (I have seen very few movies about the workings of the U.S. senate). Stewart was born to play this role. It's not a movie I'm going to watch a million times, but I'm very glad I saw it.

I know this is off-topic, but Frank Capra made a lot of movies, and usually only It Happened One Night, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and It's a Wonderful Life get any play. He really was a pretty daring filmmaker for his time, and he made a lot of other good ones: Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Meet John Doe, Bitter Tea of General Yen, Lost Horizon, and Forbidden I've all seen and greatly enjoyed, and I've barely gotten to touch his pre-code stuff.

Just if you need a random recommendation, almost all of his stuff is worth checking out. Except Pocket Full of Miracles, just ignore that one.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Sheldrake posted:

I know this is off-topic, but Frank Capra made a lot of movies, and usually only It Happened One Night, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and It's a Wonderful Life get any play. He really was a pretty daring filmmaker for his time, and he made a lot of other good ones: Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Meet John Doe, Bitter Tea of General Yen, Lost Horizon, and Forbidden I've all seen and greatly enjoyed, and I've barely gotten to touch his pre-code stuff.

Just if you need a random recommendation, almost all of his stuff is worth checking out. Except Pocket Full of Miracles, just ignore that one.

You Can't Take It With You was the film that made me fall in love with Jimmy Stewart. Just pure, goofy charm. I highly recommend it.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Berlin Alexanderpants is turning out to be quite good (take that, FFD). I'm taking a while since I'm watching it with a friend, but so far, an episode or two on nights when we can meet up has been working out pretty well.

I gotta hunker down for Stalker, though...

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Peaceful Anarchy, go watch Good Bye, Lenin! I was expecting a slapstick comedy, and the film's not like that at all. I ended up thinking it was awesome. Kind of a downer near the end, though.

So I watched Grand Slam independently. I liked it all right. The caper and gadgetry were very interesting, as was the composition of the heist crew. (Who would think to use a playboy in a caper?) The long stretches of silence reminded me of Le Cercle Rouge (although this film is three years older) and the total unraveling in the last stretch reminded me of The Killing. I don't see it as having a lot of rewatch value, but I still liked it.

I also watched Robocop independently. Probably my favorite Verhoeven movie out of the three I've seen. That's not saying a lot; Total Recall was borderline :nms: as far as I'm concerned... and the other one was Showgirls.
I really enjoyed Robocop because it really wasn't much of a superhero movie. The way I see it, the fact that Robocop's so hard to kill and that the antagonists aren't supervillains but street-level perps and corrupt execs solidifies that viewpoint. (I know there are invulnerable superheroes like Superman and Wolverine, superheroes who beat up street thugs like Batman and Grifter, and superheroes who operate on the corporate plane like the Wildcats in their 3.0 incarnation. My point is that the film is a satire first and a superhero flick second.)
Indeed, the whole superhero aspect was just to give the audience something to do while the film rips into American consumerism, privatization, excess, and the dumbing down of the media. I think that aspect of the film has only increased in relevance over time. I did think the film got a little repetitive in its satire around the third news break and the 6000 SUX commercial, but whatever.

I just finished watching The Maltese Falcon. I definitely have to give it a rewtach. I enjoyed it greatly, but I didn't catch all the cinematographic achievements or all the other subtext. I certainly enjoyed the movie, though. All of the performances were excellent. I thought Mary Astor's voice was a little annoying, but I thought everyone else did a great, great acting job. (I have a thing about whispery/mumbly voices; personal preference.)

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans
Tron
Enter the Dragon
The Karate Kid
Raging Bull
Cool Hand Luke
High and Low
Amores perros
City of God
Grand Slam
Robocop
The Maltese Falcon

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Apocalypse Now: I've been trying to avoid information about this movie as much as possible since I keep meaning to watch it. Any movie that almost killed Martin Sheen has to be pretty intense.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: This movie gets referenced in pop culture so much that I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen it. Also, I've only seen extremely little of Newman and Redford in their heyday.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Casablanca: From what I've heard, I get a feeling seeing this is a prerequisite for calling oneself a film buff.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
Full Metal Jacket: I need to see more Kubrick, and I've always respected Ermey and D'Onofrio.
Laura: My only experience with Otto Preminger is on Batman, so I'm a little worried this movie's going to have everyone shouting the word "WILD" every ten seconds. But I really want to see more noir. MORE NOIR!
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

CloseFriend you get Casablanca because, really, at this point in the thread it should be required.

I agree completely about Goodbye, Lenin!, it was a really wonderful film that far surpassed my expectations. I expected a really depressing film so I was pleasantly surprised by the very light touch and humour throughout and while the ending is sad and made me tear up it's not really depressing. Sometimes using personal lives to discuss broader cultural change doesn't work for me but here the two are worked together very well, capturing a lot of bittersweet thoughts for turbulent times.

Updated list:

Five Fingers of Death I hear this is a good kung fu film.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Paths of Glory - Cue snare drums. This movie by itself didn't bowl me over or anything but watching this and then realizing 30 years later he'd make Full Metal Jacket. Something about that is profound to me.

I think the one image that will stick with me was the guy propped up in a stretcher before the firing squad. Kind of pitiful.

BTW was it customary to use a whistle like that in trench warfare?

I also watched Inception - a decent movie but I'm surprised that it is currently #3 all-time. Borrows heavily from the Matrix, The Thirteenth Floor, Total Recall and Stay Tuned.

New List:

#13 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#51 The Pianist - When this came out I didn't feel like seeing yet another WWII movie (I must've seen at least ten that year.) Since then I have forgotten about watching it.

#52 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#66 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#67 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#71 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#72 Inglourious Basterds - The trailer seemed like a giant farcical mess. And Pitt's accent during that "killing nazis" scene has been enough to hold me off on this for a year so far.

#76 Singin' in the Rain - I rarely seek out musicals. That song is like kryptonite to me.

#78 Some Like It Hot - Supposedly a monumental comedy. I've liked every Billy Wilder movie I've seen so far.

#82 Up - Seems like another cutesy kids movie that I won't like. After enjoying movies like Toy Story and A Bug's Life I developed a healthy aversion to CGI at some point. Looking back I think Shrek was the turning point that made me ill towards CGI in general. I like the more traditional animated movies.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Zogo, I'm sorry you didn't like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, even though I loved it I'll admit it can get hard to take. Not sure why you're surprised by the Oscars though. Even if you didn't like it you can't deny the quality of the acting and the writing.

Don't get me wrong, it was easy to watch from beginning to end because it was constructed well. But the subject matter and ending were just too dreary on the whole for me. Also, the villain clearly and decisively wins. I don't think I'll ever like a movie set in a mental hospital.

Kind of interesting in that it parallels Silence of the Lambs in that the villain prevails.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'll choose this because it has the fewest votes on IMDb of your ten.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
I bought Heart of Darkness today. I should finish reading that in the next day or two and I'll probably get to Apocalypse Now on Sunday or so.

Also, Peaceful Anarchy, I'm glad you got so much out of Dodesukaden. I'm thinking I should maybe rewatch it to see if I missed something the first time I saw it. It's actually at a nearby-ish theater later this month.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Zogo, watch Some Like It Hot. While not totally laugh out loud hilarious, Marilyn Monroe is delicious, the boys are pitch perfect, and the ending is as great as everyone claims it is.

I just watched Let The Right One In - what a beautiful movie. I don't have faith the American remake can show the same kind of restraint, as this could have been a very schlocky movie. I liked the unexpected moments, the unexplained moments and the obvious moments all the same, and it was certainly haunting. I wish I had known nothing about the movie, but it certainly didn't take anything away from the film. The gimmick of the film is almost irrelevant, as the relationship is the heart of the piece. So glad I finally saw it, after renting it more than a few times and just never getting around to it (a bad habit of mine).

My (still) shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never got around to finishing it. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Vertigo - I've tried watching the film twice, and fell asleep both times about 30 minutes in. I usually love Hitchcock films, but the pacing on this one just gets me every time.

3) Nosferatu - I own it. I should really see it someday.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a few months ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) Flesh+Blood by Verhoeven. I like his other stuff, for the most part, I just never got around to watching this. I should probably also rewatch Robocop since I saw it once as a kid and never really got much more than awesome violence out of it. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Volver - I rented this one a few times without watching it. I want to, I just never found the time. I love Cruz when she works with Almodovar.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite. I was also told I should see Dolemite so maybe I'll make this recommendation a double-feature as well.

10) City of God - I just imagine this will be pretty hard to watch.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

7) Volver - I rented this one a few times without watching it. I want to, I just never found the time. I love Cruz when she works with Almodovar.

Time to get your money's worth. Penelope is wonderful in this movie and the entire thing is incredibly intriguing to watch. Enjoy!

I just finished Do The Right Thing and I am once again blown away. The movie was incredibly apt at showing the tension between races that brew under the surface of even some of the most understanding people. Spike Lee is a wonderful director and he never ceases to amaze me in just how exactly he is able to portray race relations between blacks and whites. At the end of the day, I don't see the ending of the movie demonstrating one race superior to the other. What happened to Radio was not Sal's fault and what happened to Sal was not Mookie's fault, but they all fed off of each other. In final chaos, their was one spark and then they all threw gasoline onto it.

Anyhow, fantastic movie and it reaffirms my like of Spike Lee. Also....holy poo poo, Rosie Perez in the first 5 minutes was a real :psyduck:.

My updated list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire. I hear it's one of Brando's most inspiring roles. Also, I am retarded.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. City of Lost Children. My husband is partially deaf and I hear this is about deaf people and culture. Suppose I should give it a whirl.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 6, 2010

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Bodnoirbabe, you get The Graduate. I was going to recommend a different film, but that's a good one to watch going in fresh.

I just finished Casablanca. It's an excellent movie; I can see why it's so popular. It was kind of weird watching it after it's been spoofed and quoted all to hell, but it was still a very enjoyable movie. Oddly enough, I thought the most memorable and symbolically powerful scene was one I've never seen spoofed: the scene where Victor uses "La Marseillaise" to drown out "Die Wacht am Rhein." It's quite strange watching this and remembering that it was made before the Allies actually won the war.
By the way, having just seen it five minutes ago, I didn't find anything wrong with Ilsa as a person. Even though she broke Rick's heart, she did what she thought was right at just about any given time. I'd say she was actually much less selfish than Rick.

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans
Tron
Enter the Dragon
The Karate Kid
Raging Bull
Cool Hand Luke
High and Low
Amores perros
City of God
Grand Slam
Robocop
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Apocalypse Now: I've been trying to avoid information about this movie as much as possible since I keep meaning to watch it. Any movie that almost killed Martin Sheen has to be pretty intense.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: This movie gets referenced in pop culture so much that I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen it. Also, I've only seen extremely little of Newman and Redford in their heyday.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
Full Metal Jacket: I need to see more Kubrick, and I've always respected Ermey and D'Onofrio.
Laura: My only experience with Otto Preminger is on Batman, so I'm a little worried this movie's going to have everyone shouting the word "WILD" every ten seconds. But I really want to see more noir. MORE NOIR!
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

EDIT: I was halfway through Casablanca when "Key Largo" by Bertie Higgins got stuck in my head. I know his son's a Goon, but that song is still annoying.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CloseFriend posted:

Oddly enough, I thought the most memorable and symbolically powerful scene was one I've never seen spoofed: the scene where Victor uses "La Marseillaise" to drown out "Die Wacht am Rhein." It's quite strange watching this and remembering that it was made before the Allies actually won the war.

Yeah, that's my favorite part too. Puts the whole movie into perspective and reminds you what was at stake when they made it.

Baktus
Jan 30, 2008
CloseFriend, I recommend you see Full Metal Jacket. It has a pretty unique feel for a war movie.

I finally got around watching Sunset Boulevard. I had a hard time tracking down a copy near me. It's a good movie on all accounts, the story and the performances are excellent. I had only seen two movies by Billy Wilder before this one, didn't know this had been made by him. There is another pile I have to dig into. The shame just keeps adding on.

The Gold Rush: I find Charlie Chaplin to be an extremely interesting person. I am pretty well read about him personally but haven't seen his movies.

Sunset Blvd
The Lost Weekend: Sticking with Billy Wilder theme here.

The Third Man: Excited and embarrassed about this.

High Noon: Has been put on hold many times in favour of other westerns too many times.

M: I have a very vague idea what this movie is about. I know it is directed by Lang.

The Conversation
Dial M for Murder: This is a random pick from Hitchcock movies I have not seen.

The Hustler: I feel like I'm missing out on the legend of Paul Newman. Hoping to make amends.

Peter Sellers movie: Something else than Dr. Strangelove and Being there.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre: This movie just never peaked my interest and always had to suffer defeat in the harsh world of movie picking filled with prejudice. But I'm now very willing to give it a go.

The Bridge on the river Kwai: This has always escaped my memory anc everytime I do remember I don't feel in the mood to watch a long war movie. Maybe pressure from the internet can solve that.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Baktus posted:

The Third Man: Excited and embarrassed about this.

Enjoy a perfect movie, Baktus.

So, North by Northwest. I knew I was in love with this film when that one lady says "So horribly sad. How is it I feel like laughing?" Everybody fit perfectly into their roles; Cary Grant is smooth, Eva Marie Saint is seductive, James Mason is stone-cold, and Martin Landau is so loving creepy. The cinematography beautifully captured a feeling of infinite possibility from shots of trains stretching into the distance to a desolate cornfield. Also, I thought my favorite Bernard Hermann score in Jason and the Argonauts couldn't be topped, but there's certainly a contender in this movie. It's wonderful and majestic from the very start of the credits. So very fun.

The List:

1. Fanny and Alexander: I have seen zero Bergman outside of Seventh Seal.

2. 8 1/2: I have seen zero Fellini, period.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. The Rules of the Game: Another Renoir, apparently. The only Renoir I've seen is The Crime of Monsieur Lange, which I hated, but I also saw it when I was 15 and hated everything that didn't have Bruce Campbell in it.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Bridge on the River Kwai: I have mad respect for David Lean, and I doubt I wouldn't enjoy this.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kull, I similarly doubt that you won't enjoy Bridge on the River Kwai. Good luck in your mission man.

I watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The word bananas has never been more appropriate. Hilarious, poignant, and insane all rolled into one. I give Gilliam a lot of credit because I can only imagine after watching the movie what the book was like, and adapting a book like that for the screen is quite an accomplishment. All that being said, not sure it stacks up to other films in terms of quality, but definitely worth the watch for the experience.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.

Singing in the Rain - Tier 9
Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie, which I thoroughly hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

On the Waterfront - Tier 9
A Streetcar Named Desire - Tier 10
East of Eden - I have seen Rebel Without a Cause and fell asleep halfway through Giant with little interest in returning (oh it's "sprawling" alright), but the one film of Mr. Dean's that I haven't seen is East of Eden. Also directed by Elia Kazan. I am eager to see this one.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8
The Elephant Man - David Lynch done good on this one I hear.

The Graduate - Tier 9
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7
A Man for All Seasons - Also based on a play, this beat Virginia Woolf in nearly every category in the Oscars en route to a near-sweep of its categories. Surely must be good (I think?). This wasn't ever on my RADAR, and I have no clue what it's about outside of characters, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Stand by Me - Tier 7
Hannah and her Sisters - I've seen pretty much all of Woody Allen's early work and all of his recent work, but nothing in between. Seems like a good enough place to start.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography (feel free to recommend an alternate Fellini work!).

Ed Wood - Tier 9
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7
Shakespeare in Love - In the spirit of this thread, this is a film that I would probably never see in my lifetime unless by happenstance or being forced. It won Best Picture over one of my favorite movies of all time (Thin Red Line) as well as Saving Private Ryan. I am avoiding this movie out of sheer principal, and have no guilt about criticizing it unwatched. To be truthful, I'm afraid I'll like it!

The Last Waltz - Well-reviewed documentary directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this.

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Arkane posted:

I watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The word bananas has never been more appropriate. Hilarious, poignant, and insane all rolled into one. I give Gilliam a lot of credit because I can only imagine after watching the movie what the book was like, and adapting a book like that for the screen is quite an accomplishment. All that being said, not sure it stacks up to other films in terms of quality, but definitely worth the watch for the experience.

The book is exactly like the movie. One of the best adaptations. There is more rambling in the book, of course, but almost all the dialogue you could read directly from the book with the movie. It's beautiful. Read it.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'm going to force you to watch Shakesphere in Love just to see the reaction.

Anywho, I must say Citizen Kane might be the most perfectly put together movie I've ever seen. I really can't think of any flaws with it and it's apparent why this film has meant so much to the way films are made. It's definitely a 10/10 movie.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens - I've seen the first, I loved the first, I love action movies, I have no excuse.

2. Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Rear Window - I haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in a long long time.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove - Might as well throw another Kubrick out there.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull - I'll have to put another Scorsese film on here since I enjoyed Goodfellas so much.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - To continue the Pixar spree.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption - I know absolutely nothing about it.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future - The ultimate shame.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
So I'm back, and I finally watched Nikita.

It was better than I expected. Nikita herself might even be cooler then Ripley. And loving Jean Reno is badass as poo poo.

My updated list:
1 Dead Man (1995) One of my friends (who's an even bigger filmnerd than me) told me to see this. And it sounds awesome!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 Eraserhead David Lynch flew over my head. Wanna fix that.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Cinderella Man I Love boxing movies, but this one got away. Dunno why really.

7 Yatterman I wanne see more of Miike, and this one sounds well... completly bonkers.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

marioinblack posted:

Aliens
Cameron is the god of good movie sequels and this one is one of the reasons why. See it.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching Cool Hand Luke. It was amazing. Paul Newman has such a presence on screen, it's ridiculous. Really enjoyed watching the relationship with his friend Dragline grow. Great film.

Hell Bunny go and watch Lock,Stock... It's a really clever film with some brilliant dialogue.

Updated List:

Casablanca
Cool Hand Luke
It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I don't think I've ever actually had the opportunity to watch this, but have heard great things.

Amadeus
Rear Window
Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are a genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown - While we're on the subject of Tarantino, this is another film that has never compelled me to watch it, despite a friend of mine relentlessly quoting Samuel Jackson's lines.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter - Heard it inspired suicides...not heard much else about it.

Badlands
The Graduate - I really don't know much about this film and I've not seen any of Hoffman's work before Rainman, really. Never had the opportunity to watch this.

Downfall
Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

mikewozere fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 8, 2010

nah
Mar 16, 2009

mikewozere, watch The Deer Hunter. There's a lot of themes to it besides suicide.

Watched Amadeus and I thought it was great. Surprised at how watchable a 3 hour period piece was, but the characters were very engaging. Such horrifying accents, though.

1. Seven Samurai - I guess the daunting length has prevented me?
2. Rear Window - Haven't seen much Hitchcock.
3. Once Upon a Time in the West - Haven't found any westerns I care for, other than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
4. Sunset Blvd - This one always seemed "meh" to me
5. Aliens - I'm sorry :(
6. M - I enjoyed Metropolis...
7. Spirited Away - I find Miyazaki to be pretty weird.
9. Amadeus - No excuses. I've had this one lying around for a while.
9. All About Eve - Do I really wanna watch a movie that's ALL about Eve?
10. Annie Hall - Woody strikes me oddly...
11. The Grapes of Wrath - Years of puns on the title have scared me away.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
bananasinpajamas you have to watch Aliens. It's easily one of the best action films ever made and a shining beacon for what a sequel should be. It's one of my favorite films and something I watch at least once every year. Enjoy.

Due to a buddy of mine being a classics/foreign film geek I've slowly begun filling in the gaps on my "You have to see this list."

1. Seven Samurai - This one seems to get around. I recently picked up the Criterion edition of it along with Yojimbo and Hidden Fortress. I loved the other two, and the length of the movie is the only real deterrent.
2. Night of the Hunter - My friend adores this movie and I've been meaning to borrow it from him, I just haven't found the time.
3. Videodrome - I really haven't seem much of anything by Cronenberg, only Eastern Promises and History of Violence. Body horror stuff is really the only horror style that freaks me out and Cronenberg's the king of it. Again, my fellow film geek buddy sings this movie's praises so I figure it's only a matter of time before I finally watch it.
4. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - I've been on a western kick as of late and recently got around to watching The Wild Bunch again after about a decade. As a result, Peckinpah's work has been on my mind. Plus, it's got one of the best titles in movie history.
5. Rashomon - I completely neglected Kurosawa until just a few months ago and now I have no idea why I never started sooner.
6. McCabe and Mrs. Miller - On AFI's Top 10 best westerns and I hadn't even heard of it until earlier this year.
7. The Seventh Seal - One of those iconic films I feel like I should have seen but just never have.
8. Withnail & I - A movie I've been told that I'd really get into. Just another one I've never made the effort to look up.
9. Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas - Everyone I know has seen this movie but me. I have no idea why I haven't.
10. Sansho the Bailiff - A side effect of my Kurosawa viewing is now I've become far more interested in classic Japanese films. I've heard nothing but good things about this movie, and really I'd just never seen it before I finally browsed a Criterion Collection display at a Barnes & Nobles.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Hell Diver, go watch McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

Well, Ikiru. I liked it, but not without reservations. Maybe it's because I've been a little preoccupied lately (and maybe because today didn't seem to be a great day for movies: loud housemates) but I found my attention wandering. In the first half Kurosawa takes the basic idea of an old bureaucrat suddenly grappling with his meaningless life and stretches it as far as it will go, and it's frankly a little bit wearisome. Then the film jumps to a different track probably halfway through and focuses on a very long, 12-Angry-Men-esque funeral where his coworkers gradually come to realize that he did, in fact, build that park. This half is interesting because there are no ellipses or cuts; Kurosawa follows the conversation's rises and falls and lulls and panics almost unblinkingly, only moving away for flashbacks as the mourners put the pieces together. It's actually pretty interesting, kind of similar to Bergman's longer conversation segments. But it all seemed kind of distant and alien, again probably because I was both preoccupied and distracted, and as a whole it didn't have the emotional impact I was kind of expecting. Actually, I had the same response to Tokyo Story, maybe when I revisit these I won't be all set up for weepiness and then I'll get more out of them. But like Tokyo Story, it's an obvious masterpiece. They make for interesting companions.

VERGOGNA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) The Conformist - I've been interested in this ever since I saw a neat cover someone made for it in a "fake Criterion art" thread somewhere, and it sounds interesting too. I'd like to expand my knowledge of Bernardo Bertolucci as well; I thought The Last Emperor was interesting if kind of flawed, but apparently he's a pretty big name.

3) Moon - This came through our town pretty much momentarily and it's been hanging around on my Netflix queue for a while. It just never really gets up there for some reason or another.

4) The Apartment - Okay, technically I have seen this, but I can't remember a drat thing about it except that there's something to do with apartment swapping. But that's about it. Apparently it's magnificent, which I don't doubt, Billy Wilder rules.

5) Yojimbo/Sanjuro - It's my eventual goal to watch (and generally keep up with) the Criterion Blu-Ray line, and I liked Ikiru, so let's follow up with another Kurosawa (double-feature). I'm not really sure how I feel about samurai films, but these are pretty highly-regarded.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) The Leopard - Well, I've heard this is good. I like films like this, films about society during an upset (I suppose that's one reason why I found Gone With The Wind so captivating), and it'd be interesting to see a film about Sicily, where my Grandfather was born.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

STANDBY: Bicycle Thieves (hunting the Criterion disc)

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
Magic Hate Ball, go with The French Connection. I think this is Hackman's best film, and it quite an entertaining movie. It also has one of the greatest chase seems ever filmed (it's even been parodied several times, including in Grand Theft Auto IV) and is well worth a watch. I'm not sure what you mean by 'color timing' with the Blu-Ray, but the movie is worth it. Also, if you enjoy it, its sequel is one of the few that come quite close to the original in terms of quality.

dotCommunism posted:

I bought Heart of Darkness today. I should finish reading that in the next day or two and I'll probably get to Apocalypse Now on Sunday or so.

Glad to hear it! The film is greatly helped by reading the book. Also, I have yet to meet anyone who has read Conrad's novel that doesn't think Avatar was more based on that than anything else. I particularly like Coppola's interpretation of certain characters. People who say "I don't recall an overly-enthusiastic air cavalry unit in Heart of Darkness" didn't read it too closely.

modestduty posted:

Alexandr Nevsky; I've seen it but at a concert (long story, but at Wolftrap a full orchestra plays movies scores with the accompanying film) and I was too young to remember it. It will also be a chance to work on my fledging Russian.

No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood because they were two critically well-received films that came out a few years ago that I never got a chance to see.

Animal Farm House; I've never seen it and I'm in a fraternity. Rather shameful, I'd say. Along the same lines, Old School.

Once Upon A Time in the West, The Searchers, and the two "Dollars" films because I like epic westerns, spaghetti westerns, and John Wayne.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas; I've heard it's great, but evidently you need to be hosed up to get enjoyment out of it. I dunno, that's what my friend said, I believed her because she knows about movies and drugs.

Finally, The Seventh Seal; I like Ingmar Bergman, but there aren't enough medieval movies out there. The new Robin Hood was pretty sweet though, critics be damned. I enjoyed it. The only other movie I've seen in theaters in the past eight months was Salt and that poo poo sucked.

Well, it's pretty clear that I had no idea what The Seventh Seal was about going into it. It was a good movie though, although like many other history-attuned moviegoers I wondered how a knight could be returning from a crusade at the same time the Black Death was killing a lot of people (the last Crusade was in the 13th century, the Black Death began in the 14th). The scene with the flagellants was pretty disturbing; I also enjoyed how Jons narrated the way the Smith's wife tried to get back to him. Thematically, I felt that the movie was trying to make a point I had arrived at long ago, which was certainly gratifying. I'm not sure I truly liked it; I can't put my finger on why.

Also Animal Farm is supposed to be Animal House; I changed it in the quote. Biiiiig difference, although I did see a movie adaptation of Animal Farm that I really liked. To this list I would like to add The Killing Fields, out of interest in the era and a love of Mr. Eyebrows Sam Waterson. I don't have anything to add to my list at this time.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
So, North by Northwest. I'm really ashamed to say that I wasn't into it at all until Thornhill goes to the art auction. I guess the tension in the first half of the film was dampened for me because they go and tell you that George Kaplan isn't real pretty early in the film. Once we learned Van Damm's name though, things got a lot more interesting for me, and became some drat good Hitchcock.

I also watched Bullitt last week, and I was pretty surprised by it. The car chase doesn't quite hold up over time (though it's still awesome, and I may be spoiled by watching too much Top Gear), but I really thought it was done well, and I really didn't expect it to end the way it did.

edit: Almost forgot! modestduty, go watch No Country for Old Men.

quote:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation.

2. Solaris - The plot sounds really interesting, but I'm wary about the length.

3. Bullitt - I hear this Steve McQueen is a pretty cool guy... (thanks for reminding me about this, toro) Dog Day Afternoon - I almost put Serpico here, but after hearing about the plot, I feel like I really need to see this.

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

6. Badlands - I have never seen a Terrence Malick film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of. Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for not loving North by Northwest.

8. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance.

KCChiefsDude
Jun 18, 2010

What is the most you ever lost on a coin toss?

KCChiefsDude posted:

I would like to play! I read your rules and I hope I'm following them correctly.

Twin Cinema - I select Raiders of the Lost Ark for you, the first 3 is such a great series.

Now for me, I'm ashamed that I have not seen these films:

The Good, the bad and the Ugly - I just have never been much into Westerns I guess.

One Flew over the Cookoo's Nest - I have no excuse for this movie. I have it on my instand que with netflix, but just keep putting it off for something else.

Casablanca - I don't even know what it's about, but apparently it's one of the best films of all time according to most lists.
Casablanca is at the top of my netflix que and will watch when it arrives

The Graduate - It's just one of those films that I kind of want to see, but I know I'll never get around to it. There is always something newer that I want to watch, even if it won't be nearly as good.

2001: A space Oddity - I love all of the Kubrick films I have seen, but I have not seen this one. I think I tried to watch it once, but I was really tired or something and fell asleep and I don't really recall much of it.

Any of the old James Bonds - I have always somewhat enjoyed the newer Bond movies, but I have never ever seen any of the one's with Sean Connery or any of the older ones, why? I don't know.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Like I said before, just haven't ever gotten into westerns. But many might say that I should turn in my man-card if I haven't seen them.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I usually love a good sci-fi film, but this one has eluded me. There really isn't any reason why I haven't seen it, I just never get around to catching up on the classics. I'm only 30!

Unforgiven - from what I hear, I should def be ashamed that I haven't seen this one. But what can I do? I never got into westerns, but after I beat the game Red Dead Redemptions, I have this new found interest in Westerns, but I know that I will never get around to seeing these classics.

It's a Wonerful Life - every time Christmas comes around, this is all over the TV channels. If I ever mention that I have never seen it, the reaction is always the same "YOU HAVENT SEEN ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE!!???!!" I guess I should be ashamed of myself.

it took me a long time to get around to it, but I just finished watching Casablanca for the first time. I really liked Humphry Bogart, he was great. I was a bit side tracked and I probably need to watch it again unfortunately, but I enjoyed it and everything but I had trouble paying attention.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

KCChiefsDude: I'm going to give you "From Russia With Love", far and away my favorite Bond movie. Also, you need to suggest a movie for Vertigo Ambrosia

I watched "Scenes From a Marriage" over the weekend, and loved it. I wimped out and went with the 3 hour cut because I just didn't have time for the longer version. I was amazed by the two fantastic performances, and hope to one day set aside the time to watch the longer version. Far and away my favorite Bergman.

zandert33 posted:

My updated list:

1. Any John Ford:
I'm a huge Kurosawa fan, and Kurosawa loved Ford, but I haven't seen anything Ford made.

2. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

3. Fanny and Alexander:
I really enjoyed Scenes from a Marriage, so am up for more

4. Schindler's List:
Another movie I've meant to see, but just never have.

5. Any Chaplin movies:
I'm game for any, but just never saw any

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 9, 2010

KCChiefsDude
Jun 18, 2010

What is the most you ever lost on a coin toss?
Sorry, forgot about that I needed to suggest.

Vertigo Ambrosia - the only movie on your list that I have seen is Let the Right One In. It was fantastic and you should go watch it!

I will put From Russia With Love on my netflix que. :)

oh! If you have netflix, I believe Let The Right One In is available on instant watch

KCChiefsDude fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 10, 2010

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Holy gently caress I haven't posted here in awhile, sorry! My loss. :(

I got down to watching Spartacus earlier today and it was about as good as I hoped it would be. It definitely didn't feel Kubrickian the entire way through, but I was warned about that from the beginning so I was prepared for something a little different. I wish Kubrick had done this later in his career so he could've had more control over it, but I love Kirk Douglas more than I ever have. I also really dug the score, actually sitting through the overture at the beginning :v:

I also cheated a bit and watched Raiders of the Lost Ark too, which I enjoyed obviously, but not as much as I remember when I was younger. I've lost some of my boyhood love of adventure I guess.

The Machine posted:

1. Shane
Oh boy I do love westerns, I just haven't gotten around to this classic.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet
The only Lynch I've seen is Dune, which I really enjoyed. It's shameful I haven't seen this (hey that's what this thread is for!).

3. Chinatown
I've only seen two Polanski films (The Ninth Gate and The Pianist), so I guess you could count Rosemary's Baby here, too. Just haven't gotten around to them yet.

4. The Deer Hunter
I can't believe I haven't seen this. I don't even know much about it aside from Walken and Di Nero.
Amelie
The 400 Blows

5. Once Upon a Time in the West/America
I'll count these under the same number because I have the same reason for both: I love Leone, but I haven't gotten around to 'em yet.

6. The Killing
I'm running out of Kubrick films to see honestly, and this seems like the next logical step!
Spartacus

7. Rear Window
I haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock, but this is the highest on IMDB's list and I haven't seen it, so why not start there?

8. It's a Wonderful Life
No loving clue. I'll just say I never watched it because nothing can top Elf and A Christmas Story as my favorite Xmas movies, heh.

9. American History X
I know about bitches bitin' curbs, do I really need to watch it? (Yes, tell me to)

10. Seven Samurai
What can I say? I love the Kurosawa films I've already seen. I suppose the 200+ minute length has kept me from sitting down to it, though.

Gimme your best shot, I promise I'll be more timely...

Okay, zandert33, you get Ford's The Searchers because I love it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

The Machine, go see It's a Wonderful Life. I push Capra films on anyone who is interested, so enjoy it!

I just finished Volver and I loved it. Such juicy visuals, a great cast, and it's just such an oddly lighthearted tragedy. The mother-daughter-aunt parallels were really interesting, and no one writes female characters like he does. No matter what the movie is about, his movies are always interesting and an engaging slice of life.

My (still) shameful list:

1) Casablanca - I watched it once halfway through on a plane and never got around to finishing it. I know I would love it, I had it on DVD for a while, but I just never got around to it.

2) Vertigo - I've tried watching the film twice, and fell asleep both times about 30 minutes in. I usually love Hitchcock films, but the pacing on this one just gets me every time.

3) Nosferatu - I own it. I should really see it someday.

4) Errol Flynn's Robin Hood - My friends gave me crap for this a few months ago. It has just never been something I considered a must-see, until I was told otherwise.

5) Flesh+Blood by Verhoeven. I like his other stuff, for the most part, I just never got around to watching this. I should probably also rewatch Robocop since I saw it once as a kid and never really got much more than awesome violence out of it. I would accept this double-feature as a recommendation.

6) The Lives of Others - I have been told this is a must-watch, and considering it won the Oscar over Pan's Labyrinth (not to mention I've rented this a few times without getting around to watching it) I am ashamed to have not seen it yet.

7) Body Heat - I love William Hurt and Kathleen Turner from that era just can't be beat. I've always wanted to see this, I just never got around to it.

8) Modern Times - I haven't seen most of Chaplin's work. I found myself to be more a fan of Buster Keaton, but I know I must see some of Chaplin's major work.

9) Shaft - I saw the remake, but never saw the original. I'm curious about the blaxploitation genre, especially since I loved Black Dynamite. I was also told I should see Dolemite so maybe I'll make this recommendation a double-feature as well.

10) City of God - I just imagine this will be pretty hard to watch.

Finally watched: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Music Man, Goodfellas, Paths of Glory, Let The Right One In, Volver

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Vorpal: You should watch City of God. Your imagination is playing tricks on you.

I was tasked with watching Shakespeare in Love by my recommender, for reasons I can only surmise were sadistic in nature. Well turns out the joke is on you man, because - slightly to my dismay - I really liked the movie! It's occasionally too cute and too silly (i.e. the entirety of Geoffrey Rush's over-the-top performance), but the screenplay was just so drat good. The flow, the characters, the made-up romance that tied together the whole story, and the hilarious one-liners...they all worked. I even caught myself smiling when Ben Affleck makes his grand entrance (how horrifying is that?). But the real reason I loved the movie is because of Gwyneth Paltrow. How is someone that beautiful and that talented? Life is just not fair. The performance was so good I'm even going to forgive her for giving her children those ridiculous names ("what shall we name our son that so that he doesn't get the poo poo kicked out of him at school? we shall name him engelbert!").

It still shouldn't have beat The Thin Red Line/Saving Private Ryan/Life is Beautiful but its not as egregious as I always assumed.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.

Singing in the Rain - Tier 9
Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie, which I thoroughly hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

On the Waterfront - Tier 9, A Streetcar Named Desire - Tier 10
East of Eden - I have seen Rebel Without a Cause and fell asleep halfway through Giant with little interest in returning (oh it's "sprawling" alright), but the one film of Mr. Dean's that I haven't seen is East of Eden. Also directed by Elia Kazan. I am eager to see this one.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8
The Elephant Man - David Lynch done good on this one I hear.

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7
A Man for All Seasons - Also based on a play, this beat Virginia Woolf in nearly every category in the Oscars en route to a near-sweep of its categories. Surely must be good (I think?). This wasn't ever on my RADAR, and I have no clue what it's about outside of characters, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Stand by Me - Tier 7
Hannah and her Sisters - I've seen pretty much all of Woody Allen's early work and all of his recent work, but nothing in between. Seems like a good enough place to start.

8 1/2 - Tier 9, Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography (feel free to recommend an alternate Fellini work!).

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9
Elizabeth - Joseph Fiennes again? What the hell is going on.

The Last Waltz - Well-reviewed documentary directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this.

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Arkane, if you're sticking to a theme, then watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Very good film :)

Watched Aliens and thought it was pretty good, not blown away though. Probably because I've been over-exposed to every element of it in other action movies since, which is unfair, but what can I do v:shobon:v

1. Seven Samurai - I guess the daunting length has prevented me?
2. Rear Window - Haven't seen much Hitchcock.
3. Once Upon a Time in the West - Haven't found any westerns I care for, other than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
4. Sunset Blvd - This one always seemed "meh" to me
5. Aliens
6. M - I enjoyed Metropolis...
7. Spirited Away - I find Miyazaki to be pretty weird.
8. Amadeus
10. Annie Hall - Woody strikes me oddly...
11. The Grapes of Wrath - Years of puns on the title have scared me away.
12. City of God - Like with Aliens, I have no idea why I haven't gotten around to it. Sounds right up my alley

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Simply a worthless post so I can hit the little upsidedown ? and find my last list.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

bananasinpajamas posted:

Yes, yes you do.

Three words for Apocalypse Now: beautiful, heartbreaking and horrifying. One of the best movies I've ever seen, and certainly the best war film. Coppola's a flippin' genius and the entire cast was absolutely stellar. The writing, lighting and camera-work were all amazing. There wasn't a single aspect of this movie that didn't work to perfection.

New List:

A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonini, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

The 400 Blows I know next to nothing about this movie other than that Truffaut directed it.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

tokillthesunflower posted:

The 400 Blows I know next to nothing about this movie other than that Truffaut directed it.

Tokillthesunflower, have fun watching one of my favorite movies of all time. If all you know is that Truffaut directed it, stay that way until after you see the film. I hope you enjoy it.

So, almost two months later, I watched Dogville. I liked it, quite a bit. I was surprised at the amount of humor in the film (not that it was a humorous film, but there was definitely humor). I almost cried with laughter when I heard that first horn note to "Young Americans" as the titles came up.. I don't know what to think about Von Trier, but man, I respect him if nothing else. He plays by his own rules, but he always backs it up with really well made films (even if I'm not always a fan of his films). This is definitely my favorite Von Trier of the few I've seen.

I also saw Elephant about a day after I posted this list. I really, really loved Elephant (van Sant is becoming one of my favorite filmmakers). I think I still preferred Paranoid Park, and while there were a couple small elements that I personally didn't need in the film I didn't care about the Gerry video game and thought it was a little over the top, I still don't fault him for putting those elements in. Beaufiful to look at, as always.

So, updated list:

Voodoofly posted:

The Sweet Hereafter - I've never seen any Atom Egoyan films, but this has always been the one I'm most interested in. A friend loves this movie, I've always heard great things about the book, I have no idea why it has taken me so long to see it.

Elephant - I saw Paranoid Park a year ago or so, and something clicked. Since then, I've been going back and watching, rewatching his films as time permits. Mala Noche was interesting, My Own Private Idaho was much more amazing than my 12-13 year old self remembered, and I even had a thing for Last Days. Yet, somehow, I haven't made it around to see Elephant or Gerry, and it seems that most people I've told this think Elephant might be his best film. I guess you can throw Gerry on here as well.

Naked - I've loved every Mike Leigh film I've ever seen. I like David Thewlis in all of his roles. However, while I've always known about this film, I guess, I saw it posted recently (probably in the consensus thread) and I realized I had no idea why I had not seen it yet.

Talk to her - I've watched a couple Almodovar films in film school. I've realized that there are a lot of movies I saw in film school that I completely didn't appreciate, whether because I've matured since then, or because I was simply being overloaded with movies. I wasn't a huge fan of the movies I saw from what I remember, but time to get back on the saddle.

Dogville - I love Lars Von Trier probably because I hate him so much. That makes no sense, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I mean. Breaking the Waves is one I need to revisit (another film school movie), the Five Obstructions was cool, and Antichrist had something going on, but why not break my cherry and dive head-first. I guess throw Dancer in the Dark in this as well (I love Bjork), and Manderlay instead of Dogville if that is the first one (I'm pretty sure it is the second).

Scent of Green Papaya: I've never seen a Tran film. That needs to change.

The New World - Badlands is one of my favorite movies ever. Days of Heaven is beautiful. The Thin Red Line grows on me every year. I have no excuse for not seeing this one yet (hell, I've even been a longtime Colin Farrell fan since Tigerland).

Billy Liar - I've always wanted to dive into some of the Angry Young Man / Kitchen Sink movies (having only seen The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner, which I remember the 18 year old me thought was amazing). It was this, Saturday Night or Sunday Morning, Look Back in Anger, This Sporting Life, or If..., so I went with the one listed as a comedy.

Yi Yi - I know it's from a Taiwanese filmmaker, and people seem to love it. That's about it.

Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring - Is he also a Taiwanese filmmaker, or is this a Korean film? I remember wanting to see this when it was in theaters, I know its an episodic film in different stages of life, I don't want to know more. It's probably been in my netflix queue for a couple years at least.

In the Bedroom - I've been saying I would watch this film since it came out. Someday I will get to it. I don't know what to say other than everything I know about it appeals to me. I guess I just haven't been in the mood for the last decade.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days - I want to see it, but I don't want to watch it. This is probably the movie on this list I feel most ashamed about not having seen yet.

The Piano Teacher - Oh Haneke, we started off wrong. I saw Funny Games in film school, thought it was clever, and moved on. I watched Cache a few years ago, and was loving floored (actually, now that I think about it, it probably took about a week before I realized how much I loved Cache). Still haven't seen anything of his since (actually, I saw most of the Funny Games remake because I went to a friends and they had it on, but I wasn't any more or less impressed than what I remembered from the first one). Figure this is as good a place as any to continue down the rabbit hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jumping back in this because I can't pass up a chance to make someone watch The Scent of Green Papaya.

Posting my updated list. Except for the first three, I'm going to make it all films from Criterion that I've been avoiding, in spine number order.

1. The Haunting - This is supposed to be good, right? Robert Wise is hit or miss with me, but at least I've liked all his film noir.

2. Plan 9 from Outer Space - Maybe my greatest shame of all, I've never actually seen an Ed Wood movie. The same way some people say about Rear Window and Casablanca, I feel like I've gleaned all of this movie from pop culture, but I should still see it once.

3. Two English Girls - The only Truffaut movie I haven't seen. I would have gotten to it eventually, now you can force me to!

4. Samurai II - I've forgotten most of Samurai I, so don't recommend this if it's a prerequisite.

5. Insomnia - Well, I saw the remake and wasn't too thrilled with it, although I know that has no bearing on whether or not I'd like the original.

6. And God Created Woman - I dunno.

7. W.C Fields: 6 Short Films - I really hate W.C. Fields.

8. The Element of Crime - Von Trier is interesting... I think I started watching this once, but I've forgotten why I turned it off.

9. Mona Lisa - Not a big Bob Hoskins fan.

10. Withnail and I - I watched the first 15-20 minutes and it annoyed the gently caress out of me. But if I'm going to watch the entire Criterion Collection, I guess I have to finish it someday.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 10, 2010