Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Cyberbob posted:

Where's the best generic "retouching skin" tutorial?

I don't know about generic or the best, but I like the look of this one:
http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1170442

And part II details a technique I saw described better elsewhere but have long since lost the link; using a blurred layer and then selectively returning details via high pass filters of varying radii:
http://dgrin.smugmug.com/Tutorials/Beyond-Basics/Skin-Retouching-Tutorial-Pt-2/1169397_i62L4/2

Which could be used to either subtly smooth skin or create horrible abominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So I finally got Lightroom 3, and it now imports my video files automatically. I'd rather have them go to a separate video folder, but I can't seem to find a way to do it? Has anyone else figured it out? I don't want the video files getting imported into my photo folders.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

torgeaux posted:

As the article says, 10-14 for human eye (not that measurable, really). The Nikon D3x is supposed to have 12.8 (per DXO). That's 91.4% of the highest estimated human eye.

Seems like it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison when you factor in how the eye actually works and how we perceive things. Looking at the dynamic range in a two dimensional print is obviously vastly different than your vision's field of view and how the eye and brain filter and focus on information.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
My boss hired me to shoot a 2 day event that the company is doing, sort of like a conference and social get together. Going to be at a restaurant and a baseball game.

I have a d90, so im thinking of renting a nikon 24-70 for the event and just using that. Will that work fine? I have a 12-24 wide angle and a 80-200 telephoto but nothing in the middle cept my 18-105 kit lens.

It should be fine for low restaurant level lighting without use of flash right? Ive never used this lens before.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 31, 2010

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
2.8 is really only fast enough for indoor daytime shots. Indoor shots with nighttime lighting will either need a massive ISO bump or a flash.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

2.8 is really only fast enough for indoor daytime shots. Indoor shots with nighttime lighting will either need a massive ISO bump or a flash.

I have an SB-600 that I plan to use. Still trying to get used to how to use flash so it dosent make their face all white. Bouncing works but sometimes theres nothing to bounce off of.

How do you make direct flash more natural looking? I have a diffuser already, dosent help much.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Saint Celestine posted:

I have an SB-600 that I plan to use. Still trying to get used to how to use flash so it dosent make their face all white. Bouncing works but sometimes theres nothing to bounce off of.

How do you make direct flash more natural looking? I have a diffuser already, dosent help much.

Shoot in manual, meter for the background and then reduce your flash exposure compensation until you get natural looking results.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Dunno if the DR discussion is over, but keep in mind that whatever output medium you use also has to meet that level in order for it to match what the human eye sees. The only way I can see it working properly is with LCDs that don't yet exist that can blast sun-level light while completely blacking out other sections, or some kind of transmissive media that you can just hold up to the light to view properly.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I've been reading a bit, and had a question about the F-stop's listed on lenses.

Example:

quote:

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro for Canon autofocus

This is a Sigma lens whose focal length ranges from 17mm to 70mm. The maximum aperture at 17mm is f/2.8, and the maximum aperture at 70mm is f/4.5.

When it mentions maximum aperture, does that mean that say at 17mm, I would not be able to set my camera to F1.8? Or does it mean that there is some sort of loss of data/sharpness/whatever when pushed to a larger opening?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Abnegatus posted:

When it mentions maximum aperture, does that mean that say at 17mm, I would not be able to set my camera to F1.8?

Correct. You're not setting your camera. You're setting the lens at that aperture. And the physical limit for that lens is f/2.8.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Correct. You're not setting your camera. You're setting the lens at that aperture. And the physical limit for that lens is f/2.8.

Yeah, and at 70mm the maximum aperture is only 4.5. If you have a camera body with an electronic link to the lens your aperture controls will compensate for this automatically as you zoom in. Older cameras won't be able to and you'll have to rely on the guide printed on the lens barrel (if it has one).

This is a good example of why constant-aperture zooms are so desirable and why some people avoid the whole question in the first place and stick with primes.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Abnegatus posted:

When it mentions maximum aperture, does that mean that say at 17mm, I would not be able to set my camera to F1.8? Or does it mean that there is some sort of loss of data/sharpness/whatever when pushed to a larger opening?
To put this even more simply, just in case, it goes like this: at the widest focal length with this lens (17mm), the largest aperture you can use is f/2.8. And zoomed all the way out at 70mm the best you can do is f/4.5. So basically that lens is going to get slower (larger aperture number, i.e. less light) the more you zoom out with it. So it'll be something kinda like this:

17mm: f/2.8 - pretty good
50mm: f/3.5 - still decent
70mm: f/4.5 - kinda slow

And by the way your camera will do this automatically; like if you're at 17mm and the camera's set on Av (aperture priority) and f/2.8, the f stop is automatically going to go up as you zoom further out.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I might be able to see the Aurora Borealis tonight I was thinking about testing my ability to take night shots... Is there any site/good pointers I can use to get the best possible exposures? I know I'm looking for wide-open aperture with a long exposure time but any guidance helps as this is my first time night shooting.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

The only pointer I can offer is to compose your shot then use the self timer feature to actually open the shudder so that you don't shake the camera. That, of course, requires a tripod or the like.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Aaaaand it storms like loving crazy tonight. Curse you god :argh:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wins32767 posted:

The only pointer I can offer is to compose your shot then use the self timer feature to actually open the shudder so that you don't shake the camera. That, of course, requires a tripod or the like.

If you shudder, you're gonna shake, I'm just sayin'.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

*sigh* It was a really long day.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

wins32767 posted:

Also use the mirror lockup and close your viewfinder if your camera has those features.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

McMadCow posted:

Also use the mirror lockup and close your viewfinder if your camera has those features.

I have a rebel xsi do I have these features?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

flyboi posted:

Do you have an instruction book?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

flyboi posted:

Yes.

Painless
Jan 9, 2005

Turn ons: frogs, small mammals, piles of compost
Turn offs: large birds, pitchforks
See you at the beach!
Is there a good book specifically on landscape photography? I've got "understanding exposure" and "the photographer's eye" which are pretty good but I'd like something more specific and most of what I shoot is either forests or bugs or bugs in forests.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Painless posted:

Is there a good book specifically on landscape photography? I've got "understanding exposure" and "the photographer's eye" which are pretty good but I'd like something more specific and most of what I shoot is either forests or bugs or bugs in forests.

This is pretty good: https://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.aspx?isbn=1906372853

It's hard to find, but here's a link you can get it from. You might be able to get it elsewhere.

It's more of a hybrid magazine/book type thing, but it has a lot of good info.

Painless
Jan 9, 2005

Turn ons: frogs, small mammals, piles of compost
Turn offs: large birds, pitchforks
See you at the beach!
Thanks, that sounds good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've discovered that I really like taking lightbox shots, but I'd like to take it to the next level. I have a small PVC lightbox with a posterboard back right now, but I'd like to scale it up and make a larger studio backdrop so I can take seamless shots of larger things like motorcycles and whatnot.

I've been inspired by this: http://www.bikeexif.com/suzuki-rk67?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Bikeexif+(Bike+EXIF)

You can see in the second shot, based on the reflections in the bikes paint that these were shot outside in some sort of giant lightbox/studio backdrop scenario.

How does one go about replicating the setup to do this? I can weld, so fabbing up a frame for this isnt the most horrible thing on earth. What do you use for a backdrop, where do you find something that huge and perfectly white?

Any suggestions?

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Zach Arias has a small how-to on building such a setup using white seamless.

http://www.zarias.com/white-seamless-tutorial-part-1-gear-space

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What are the differences between Lightroom and the Camera Raw feature in Photoshop? And for anyone who has both, what do you generally use Photoshop for that you can't/don't like to do in Lightroom?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

baka kaba posted:

what do you generally use Photoshop for that you can't/don't like to do in Lightroom?
I'll let someone else tackle the first part, but personally I hardly ever use Photoshop anymore. I only use it when I've got something so grossly wrong with a photo that simple editing won't work. I mean like "I wish that car was red, not yellow" or "Uncle Jed wants to know what he'd look like without an eyepatch" kind of stuff. Lightroom is extremely powerful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

baka kaba posted:

What are the differences between Lightroom and the Camera Raw feature in Photoshop? And for anyone who has both, what do you generally use Photoshop for that you can't/don't like to do in Lightroom?

I typically don't enter Photoshop until I'm ready to export, and even then only if I need to do a high pass sharpening. Also any time I'm going to be altering something major in the photo, that's Photoshop. If it's just cropping, straightening, tonal adjustments and curves, sensor or film dust removal -- that's all Lightroom.

Spot adjustments are amazing in Lightroom as well.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

baka kaba posted:

I just made the switch from Adobe Camera Raw to Lightroom 3. Basically Lightroom can do everything ACR can do, and a bit more. I switched to Lightroom for the better photo organization and some other workflow specific features. My favorite right now is the before and after layout. And just like ACR, anything being worked on in Lightroom can be opened immediately in Photoshop if more advanced editing is needed, and then brought back into Lightroom to export.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

baka kaba posted:

I basically only use lightroom for management and a little bit of colour correction, curves, cropping and stuff like that, and even then very rarely, usually on photos I dont care about or want to get a general idea of what I want. Other than that all my editing is all done inside photoshop, I just prefer to work within layers and for me you have a much finer control of the image in photoshop than you do in lightroom.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

baka kaba posted:

Photoshop lets you do all the sorts of pixel-level editing that is much more difficult to do in Light Room. For example, retouching, spot toning, cloning, dodging/burning, etc, are either possible or much easier in Photo Shop than in Light Room.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
If you like shooting landscapes masks come in handy, which Lightroom won't give you.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

scottch posted:

If you like shooting landscapes masks come in handy, which Lightroom won't give you.

Lightroom has masks. They're not as powerful as Photoshop, but they're there.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I don't believe there's a way to blend different exposures, unless I'm mistaken.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

scottch posted:

I don't believe there's a way to blend different exposures, unless I'm mistaken.

That is true.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

That is true.

That he's mistaken?

I'm pretty sure you can adjust exposure in lightroom with a mask. Well like that adjustable brush tool thing in lightroom.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 10, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lightroom doesn't have a way to blend 2 different exposures. You can always toss an exposure comp mask, but not a blending mask with another frame.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

oh okay, gotcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
LR is much faster for editing a lot of images, you can blast your way through an entire day's shoot in a single sitting.

Plus, non-destructive editing