Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

The NonBornKing posted:

Belts whine a little after they get wet. It should be fine. Have fun in Sturgis!

Yeah, it's always whined, but I'm like a week out of the factory warranty and it started making a new whine, so I figured I'd cover my rear end before I get raped in podunk Wyoming. I do tend to be kind of an automotive hypochondriac, too, I will fully admit.

The Harley dudes I hang out with were no help on the belt. "I dunno, it seems REALLY tight, I would loosen it up." Turns out Harley touring model belts are run real loose, I never knew.

hayden. posted:

Sounds like a joke - what do Harley belts and Harley riders have in common?

I wouldn't know, I ride a Yamaha :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought about rigging up two different horns with a button each.

One soft and happy like meep meep :haw:

and one AAAAAAA gently caress YOU TOOOOOOT :mad:

Those emoticons would be good symbology on the buttons.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Oh crap, I would pay real money for a fog horn BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOMP on my bike. :allears:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
I don't know if the poor thing died of heat exposure or blunt trauma, but it was like that for at least 10 miles. It barely had a pulse. The mounting hardware is somewhere along I-75 at the moment. OE be damned, this replacement's got a pair.

Ola, excellent idea. There ought to be an "I approve of those hotpants" button and a "PUT DOWN THE PHONE. NOW" button.

Zero, if you get that, I want a Foghorn Leghorn...horn.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 5, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
With 3 1/2 goons' worth of help and 4 hours, I unfucked my forks and headset. Gory (and by gory, I mean silly) details in the [Denver] thread.

It's like a whole new bike. Holy poo poo, these things are supposed to have suspension on both ends?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Grease is The Time and 3rd Bass and B. Ocean...
I can get behind that, as I need to check my swingarm next time I'm down there.

Did a quick trip out to my parents' place last weekend and replaced the broken headlight bucket with a new one & new headlight that came along in the package. While figuring out the insanity of the wiring harness that somehow gets stuff in behind the headlight, I noticed that the L and R turnsignal wire were handily labeled. Checking the actual wiring diagram, they were actually swapped around! So they were right and wrong at the same time.

I noticed the new headlight had an extra, orange, light in there, and didn't quite know what to make of it. Checked the wiring diagram, and sure enough, there was a spare brown wire on the harness after I got everything else connected. So I connected it up, and now I have a front parking light! The new headlight is nothing to sneeze at either, much brighter than the old one.

Plus I swear my horn sounds better.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I rode it to court today to check the radar calibration records for this 90-in-a-60 ticket I got in June. Turns out they were 2 years and 3 months old at the time of infraction, and in Washington the certification is good for 2 years.

That means if I don't get the case dismissed on some juristictional fuckup the officer made on his paperwork, I'll get it dismissed on lack of radar evidence.

The other two people in my group who were ticketed plead guilty, like chumps. Ha!

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
I parked it after spending almost 6 weeks on the road. I rode from Timmins, Ontario to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Just over 11,250 miles in total. See Tsaven Nava's ride report for a much better job than I will ever do talking about a trip.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Finally got around to replacing the intake boot orings on the GS850. After a quick ride around the block, the bike is up on power and feels a lot smoother. I'm waiting for my cell phone to charge up some so I can take it out for a nice hour or two ride.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Broke the 20k mark on the CBR.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
My bike can go gently caress itself right now. I spent yet another 2 hours trying to get it to run properly, and still no dice.

So far I timed the ignition properly, replaced the intake which had a small crack, put a new fuel petcock in the tank, tried 3 different carbs with different jets and needles, cleaned the airbox, replaced the sparkplug, checked the coil, everything there is to do.

With all the different things I tried I had it running lean, fat, not at all, firing too late, backfiring, misfiring and not once running properly and taking throttle. I'm really pissed right now and ready to shoot the drat thing to the moon.

I hope I can find some twostroke magician who will suceed where I failed miserably. Especially since I am working on an MZ here, one of the simplest and most rugged bitches of a bike on this planet. It should practically run underwater and on Mars, but no.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
I got a new job and negotiated a raise. My C70 project begins again!

This past week I got the check and paperwork for the title off to Springfield. My battery arrived and tomorrow I'm gonna get a charger.

Bought oil, acid, chain lube and tank cleaner. The rest of my parts (gaskets, center stand, muffler) are still in the mail.

After sheering a screw and ripping up my hands; I finally removed the tank. Right now, I got some science in there to strip out the 30 years of rust.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Raven457 posted:

Finally got around to replacing the intake boot orings on the GS850. After a quick ride around the block, the bike is up on power and feels a lot smoother. I'm waiting for my cell phone to charge up some so I can take it out for a nice hour or two ride.

I went in to do the same on my '82 Seca tonight. Turns out the manifold bolts are made of butter just like the carb screws so I've got a broken stud. I've now entered the land of drills, screw extractors and possibly pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop. I've read enough threads on the subject at xjbikes.com to know that I'm in for a very expensive fix. That is, assuming I don't decide to roll the fucker into the river next to my house at 2am.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

AnnoyBot posted:

I went in to do the same on my '82 Seca tonight. Turns out the manifold bolts are made of butter just like the carb screws so I've got a broken stud. I've now entered the land of drills, screw extractors and possibly pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop.

Ugh... jesus christ man, I'm sorry :(

If it makes you feel any better, my 850 rewarded me for all my recent affections by making GBS threads out the number 3 spark plug. The plug hole is almost completely smooth, so I'm guessing that the previous owner tossed a helicoil or something in there. Now ordering a plug rethreading kit with steel inserts instead of coils, yay...

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
Installed EBC clutch springs in the EX250 and EX500. Made the 250 a bit easier off the line and makes 1st gear seem a little less useless. The 500 is a huge change, letting the clutch out while above 8k actually transfers power in a somewhat linear fashion instead of as a great big surge.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
I has a bucket.

Nooooooo, he be depressin' my bucket!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I got a screw in the front tire of my SV, two weeks ago. I didn't notice until the handling started feeling slow, and I checked the PSI. It was ~25, and I filled it back up. Next day, the same slowness. And I walk around to look at the front tire, and there's a glittering metal head staring at me from the tire.

Cue ordering a new tire, which takes 1.5 weeks to get here, then an appointment for the tire switch. I ride the bike in that time span, filling it up when necessary.

Upon picking the bike up, the bike counterperson shows me the screw - a half inch long, whittled down at the head by approximately 200 miles.

Thank DEAR god it was not a nail. When I first got my first bike, a EX500, on the 2nd day, the front tire got flattened by a nail. And knowing how Rochester's summers are only a few weeks' worth, being able to ride makes everything.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went out on a grocery run, and got a little rained on here and there over the journey. Played a bit of follow-the-leader with a guy on a great looking R100RS.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Finally got the panels back on the KLR after a year. On Friday, in it goes to the shop to get the recall work done on the turn signals, one of which is already dangling.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

I has a bucket.

Nooooooo, he be depressin' my bucket!

This made me laugh much more than I would like to admit :)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Raven457 posted:

This made me laugh much more than I would like to admit :)

You should have seen me when Doc Zero showed me the original. I think I was clinically dead for four minutes.

-----

Holy Hosanna Rosannadanna in the Highest...

My FSM says to "align the index mark on the exhaust camshaft right end with the front cylinder head mating surface."

Sounds cool. Except there are TWO MARKS on said camshaft. This is why I wouldn't survive 12 minutes in Japan.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I rode the KLR up to the campsite outside Bailey, CO on Friday afternoon after work to join Ann (and friends) who had left to go up there the previous Sunday.

Dodged a fuckoff huge thunderstorm that was making GBS threads all over I-70 by taking 225 South to I-25 to Hampden/285 :smug:

Realized I'd forgotten to put the front fender back on after doing the forks on Wednesday when I rode through *another* fuckoff huge thunderstorm going up Turkey Creek Canyon. gently caress.

Rode 8 miles down a waterlogged, slippery, slimy, Forest Service Road made of clay as my first dirt experience. I think I got up to 15 whole MPH at one stretch. Remembered a few tips from the 'Transitioning' thread that helped make the trip less lovely.

Rode back down on Sunday. Came down US285 doing between 70 and 75 most of the way. I can't imagine having that much confidence in myself or the bike prior to the work we did on it this week.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

This is why I wouldn't survive 12 minutes in Japan.

Don't eat fugu fish.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Doctor Zero posted:

Don't eat fugu fish.

fugu one or fugu two, and is it OK if they're consumed in clockwise order?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Poison...poison...tasty fish!

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Well well well, I found the culprit of my KTM's lack of desire to fire up

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Aww, that's sad :( How much damage was done do you think?

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Well hopefully none aside from needing a new chain. I may get motivated again to work on getting the head off to see if there is valve damage or piston damage. Thought I doubt motivation will come when its 95 out and Colorado vacay is sunday

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Suzuki: changed the brake fluid, blew out the air filter, gave it a bit of a wash. There's a fair amount of stuff to take off to get at the filter. At least the panels bolt up real easy.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
- Found the correct chapter and verse of the Honda Necronomicon for performing a valve adjustment. Starting in '82 they went to two index marks on the forward camshaft and the procedure's different from the 3 years prior. 5 out of spec (not by much), 2 swaps, 3 on order. Kickass DOHC shim calculator here:

http://www.cb750c.com/publicdocs/valve_shim/SeanG_valve_shim.xls

- Had my old timey gloves redone with industrial grade Velcro. Let's see you try to flap in the breeze NOW, Mr. Right Hand Cincher Upper Thingy. I've half-heartedly looked for replacements, but the gauntlet is becoming extinct! Random article to support my lazy and easily refuted logic here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/gauntlet/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

I've half-heartedly looked for replacements, but the gauntlet is becoming extinct! Random article to support my lazy and easily refuted logic here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/gauntlet/

Oh yes, this annoys me no end. I rather stupidly bought some heated gloves on eBay. Not because heated gloves are stupid per se, but because you never know how well gloves fit. These were the right size, but the hand was a bit too short and the fingers a bit too long. Worst part was what looked like a proper gauntlet was very short. What's the point of a purpose-built cold weather glove that lets cold air in?

SAVE THE GAUNTLET

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Marv Hushman posted:

I've half-heartedly looked for replacements, but the gauntlet is becoming extinct!

I've got a pair of these, and they rock the casbah. I've had them for about 3 or 4 years now and I love them.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Ola posted:

SAVE THE GAUNTLET

Batman's been riding for 75 years and is probably still rocking the original pair. You don't see him running around with glorified golf gloves :)

SAVE THE GAUNTLET

The NonBornKing posted:

I've got a pair of these, and they rock the casbah. I've had them for about 3 or 4 years now and I love them.

Très cool, and made in the USA--my eagles are crying tears of joy. Now I'm intrigued by this idea of motorcycling socks...is there anything a marketing department WON'T re-brand for the moto crowd?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The NonBornKing posted:

I'd like Lee Park's stuff better if it had any form of padding on it. Having bashed the poo poo out of my hands in accidents, there's no way I'd ever wear a glove that just uses leather as impact and abrasion protection.

The Helimot H20s are my glove of choice. The only downside is the thickness of the leather they use which some people feel mutes the control feedback, and the cost. But after multiple crashes that would have destroyed any other gloves and just sending them back for repairs, they have more than paid for themselves.

http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=64

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Z3n posted:

The Helimot H20s are my glove of choice.

http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=64

Nice. And reinforcing my other point:

http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=120

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

If you've ever held a helimot suit, you'll understand why they have heavy duty hangers. :xd: Overbuilt doesn't even begin to describe how industrial his suits are.

I've also got a pair of motorcycle socks...they're wicking and relatively thin for hot weather riding ;)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

You can buy like 5 wooden hangers for that price. :raise:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

You can buy like 5 wooden hangers for that price. :raise:

I wasn't even aware you could buy wooden hangers anymore...I'll have to check next time I'm out shopping. That'd certainly be handy. :v:

Actually, the nicest hanger I've ever seen came with a fieldsheer suit. It was heavy duty plastic, and the ends of it are splayed out so that the suit shoulders are actually supported properly and don't deform around the arms of the hanger.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Z3n posted:

Actually, the nicest hanger I've ever seen came with a fieldsheer suit. It was heavy duty plastic, and the ends of it are splayed out so that the suit shoulders are actually supported properly and don't deform around the arms of the hanger.

Makes perfect sense. I'm just on an anti-gadgetry rant that I think started at Doc Zero's place a few months ago when I wondered aloud what the target demographic for Bike Nutz was...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Yanked off the cam chain on the KTM and pulled the spark plug, piston is not seized, which was my original concern when the motor wouldn't turn over. Is there an easy way to put on a new timing chain for a KTM rfs motor? Seems like something I'm underqualified to tackle.