Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Ok, I had this idea for a project I want to do where I sample lovely/stupid songs and make them really glitchy/bizarre. Not the most original idea in the world but I'm having fun with it. I have one track mostly finished and I wanted to get some opinions if anyone has time to check it out and let me know what's up.

http://soundcloud.com/second-suitor/rock-and-roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
EDIT: ^^ That's actually really cool, but the panning, at least towards the beginning of the track and on headphones, really threw me off. Just the way the drums are panned combined with you doing the 360 degree panning heavily made it...unpleasant to listen to. Good sample to pick for that idea though, it was Blender's worst song of rock history or something if you weren't aware so it's a great pick for a "stupid/lovely song" :hfive:

I just did this for a remix contest and really like how it turned out. The only stems you get is the vocoded snippets and one repetitive snippet so i got to get creative. Apologies if it's a bit harshly compressed, I figured for a contest that would go over better :D

there's a couple places i would like to add synth solos, I can sort of hear them in my head, but other than that I think it's finished.

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 1, 2010

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

I'm making a song, and this is the first part. I'd appreciate some constructive criticism!
It's based around cut-up vocals and cut-up breaks. It is actually two parts and changes to orchestral near the end, which is a transition to the next part that is not done yet.

Oh, by the way, I know already that it sounds nasty in mono, and I am actually aiming for spastic, so if it's like that, I'm succeeding. Anything else besides those tips is helpful!

Edit: I also made this song:

Which also uses cut-up vocals and break manipulation. I like how this turned out, but any criticism would be helpful here, too.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 3, 2010

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Here's a song that I made in Ableton and I was wondering some thoughts on it. It has sort of a Four Tet sample-based feel to it.

I and Frau
Sep 7, 2009
newcomer to this thread but will definitely becoming regular over the next while.

before anything else, Mezzir -- that chromeo remix a few pages back is loving beautiful. LOVE that shimmery pad. What are you using ??? (in general and also more specifically for that sound)

quick question for now: I am just discovering the 'slice to midi' feature in Live 8 and I was intending to use it to gather up a collection of drum samples to use in lieu of the samples live comes with (which I can never get to sound punchy or sharp no matter what I do to them). However, while I can save individual slices to a project folder as .adg files, I am looking for a way to save them as .wavs (or something similar) so I can stick a handful of assorted slices into a drum machine.

I tried doing this using the .ADGs but if I pull them into a drum machine in a new project they don't work (as in triggering the clip results in silence).

Ultimately the aim is to librate the midi slices from depending on the presence of the audio clip in the workspace, so I can have samples from a dozen different sources without having to bring each 5-10min source track into the project. Surely there is some relatively simple way to do this, no?

I'm a relative ableton newbie so I'm sure there's some simple technique to this that I am simply ignorant of...

thanks!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

I and Frau posted:

newcomer to this thread but will definitely becoming regular over the next while.

before anything else, Mezzir -- that chromeo remix a few pages back is loving beautiful. LOVE that shimmery pad. What are you using ??? (in general and also more specifically for that sound)

quick question for now: I am just discovering the 'slice to midi' feature in Live 8 and I was intending to use it to gather up a collection of drum samples to use in lieu of the samples live comes with (which I can never get to sound punchy or sharp no matter what I do to them). However, while I can save individual slices to a project folder as .adg files, I am looking for a way to save them as .wavs (or something similar) so I can stick a handful of assorted slices into a drum machine.

I tried doing this using the .ADGs but if I pull them into a drum machine in a new project they don't work (as in triggering the clip results in silence).

Ultimately the aim is to librate the midi slices from depending on the presence of the audio clip in the workspace, so I can have samples from a dozen different sources without having to bring each 5-10min source track into the project. Surely there is some relatively simple way to do this, no?

I'm a relative ableton newbie so I'm sure there's some simple technique to this that I am simply ignorant of...

thanks!

I didn't even know about this and looked it up and found this sweet rear end poo poo ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlFxkDYGUmQ

But for your question, couldn't you use the arrangement view to save one hit of each drum beat to a wav or aiff? Like, play just the one note you want, say bass kick, once, in arrangement view, then export to aiff or wav? and repeat for the rest of the 'drum kit' ?

I might be going the long way about it since I'm not an ableton master by any means, but its what first popped into my head, and how I would go about it before someone on this forum corrects me with a better way.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

I and Frau posted:

I am looking for a way to save them as .wavs (or something similar) so I can stick a handful of assorted slices into a drum machine.

If you're talking about working just in Live, it's much easier just to chop an audio clip into bits (Ctrl+E, I think) and drag those bits onto the pads of a Drum Rack or Impulse. You can then rename the Drum Rack and save it, and then you can use it in any project you want.

If you're talking about exporting the samples for use in other programs etc. then that's slightly different, although I know you can export a Drum Rack patch and it'll zip it up with the samples somehow.

re: the punchy thing: have you tried compression?? Probably a stupid question, but whatever.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
So I've been casually working with Ableton for almost a year now, so pardon my potential noobiness. I'm wondering- what's the best way to create a hard-hitting dubstep drum beat? I'm currently using drum samples from the Deadmau5 xfer CD, which are way more attune to House and Trance and that stuff. So I guess my question is- either what set of drum samples would you recommend for creating a good beat, or how can I beef a mediocre-sounding drum sample up to be heavy and awesome?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
We need more drum and bass in this bitch!

Still very much a work in progress.. Sounding boring to me right now, trying to add some new parts to switch it up. Critique is appreciated as always! :)

edit: Plus Massive won't work on my drat computer! So I cannot seem to get a good bass sound. It's pissing me off.
Got massive to work, changed it a bunch.. Still love comments!

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 9, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
New poo poo:

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

What up fools, I gots a new track for y'all. It's only my second ever, but I'm pretty proud of it for my second effort. Lemme know what you think :)

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Those last two tracks are awesome.

Maxed Out - Love that clap, what effects are you using besides a ton of reverb and sustain?

Heady - Great bassline and mixing. My kind of jam. Is the lead line just a midi sequence your found on a VST somewhere? I really dig it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Ok, I had this idea for a project I want to do where I sample lovely/stupid songs and make them really glitchy/bizarre. Not the most original idea in the world but I'm having fun with it. I have one track mostly finished and I wanted to get some opinions if anyone has time to check it out and let me know what's up.

http://soundcloud.com/second-suitor/rock-and-roll
Pretty excellent. I'd say is you gotta do is make it seem a little less like it's just glitchy drums played over a normal song, but I do that all the time. All my album are basically your format: Speed up or slow down the vocals, put drums everywhere, upload the mp3s on a website.

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

Gibberish posted:

Those last two tracks are awesome.

Maxed Out - Love that clap, what effects are you using besides a ton of reverb and sustain?

Heady - Great bassline and mixing. My kind of jam. Is the lead line just a midi sequence your found on a VST somewhere? I really dig it.

Thanks dude! Means a lot :D

It's just Predator, one of the lead presets. Fiddled around with the arpeggio and some chords until I found something I liked.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Here's a tiny beginning to a song that uses cut-up vocals. Please tell me if it's sounding okay.

I tried doing some stuff with organs and creative application of lowpass filters.

Edit: Just realized how dissonant the second song gets near the end. Tried to fix it.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 12, 2010

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I want to get into making some IDM, ambient and 'digital hardcore' (e.g. Atari Teenage Riot, NIN) stuff.

I've fooled around with Reason for ambient before and found the interface OK to use. However, the internet seems to think that Reason is a crap choice for IDM because of it's lack of support for VSTs. Also I don't think I can record guitars into Reason.

I recorded an entire guitar/vocals EP on Ableton and still didn't get to grips with it BUT it seems like lots of electronica artists use it so I might just have to invest the time in it. I've got Ableton Live Lite at the moment but I accept that may need an upgrade and I may need to purchase some VSTs as apparently the built in Ableton synths aren't anywhere as good as Reason's (which I don't have access to anymore).

I have a budget of up to £400 ($600) for (I think) a DAW (or DAW upgrade), VSTs, audio interface (less important right now as I won't be using guitar right away).

Any suggestions much appreciated on how I should spend my money.

Edit: Many moons ago I spent hours, days and weeks playing with eJay software so anything that plonks boxes into rows makes sense to me.

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 12, 2010

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
People that actually buy DAWs these days are as rare as Unicorns.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Gibberish posted:

Way to out yourself for some :filez: You'll probably find that most people on this forum aren't using cracked DAWs.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Gibberish posted:

i would disagree, because people depend on their DAWs for their jobs(a "musician" if you will) and reliability and support are essential.

now most random people makin' beatz, i would say yes, probably all pirated.

I think the 500$ or so i spend on ableton was money very well spent, considering i could have one alright synth or like 10 awesome instruments and a DAW.

Bebop
Aug 29, 2004
satellite of love
I would keep an eye on ebay, I managed to pick up ableton suite 8 for £180.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
There are some very good free sequencers too btw

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I want to get into making some IDM, ambient and 'digital hardcore' (e.g. Atari Teenage Riot, NIN) stuff.

I've fooled around with Reason for ambient before and found the interface OK to use. However, the internet seems to think that Reason is a crap choice for IDM because of it's lack of support for VSTs. Also I don't think I can record guitars into Reason.

I recorded an entire guitar/vocals EP on Ableton and still didn't get to grips with it BUT it seems like lots of electronica artists use it so I might just have to invest the time in it. I've got Ableton Live Lite at the moment but I accept that may need an upgrade and I may need to purchase some VSTs as apparently the built in Ableton synths aren't anywhere as good as Reason's (which I don't have access to anymore).

I have a budget of up to £400 ($600) for (I think) a DAW (or DAW upgrade), VSTs, audio interface (less important right now as I won't be using guitar right away).

Any suggestions much appreciated on how I should spend my money.

Edit: Many moons ago I spent hours, days and weeks playing with eJay software so anything that plonks boxes into rows makes sense to me.

You should be able to record guitars into Reason with Propellerheads Record 1.5. Also, if you like Reason, why do you give a gently caress about what anyone on the internet thinks about it? Just do what works for you. Reason 5 is coming out soon and the new features look amazing (especially KONG drum designer).

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Cobweb Heart posted:

What you've got right here is a loving amazing badass intro. Seriously. I can hear how it should be followed up in my head. At like 58 seconds in I would just let the reverb/notes ring out, pause a second and then have a HUGE heavy bass drop, bigtime main synth and unfilter the drums and just have the song go in a whole other direction, instead of it just kind of going on a little while longer and repeating.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I personally bought ableton live version 6 upgraded to 8 suite edition and bought max for live about 2 months ago. I also own some gmedia stuff, amplitube 3 and amplitube fender, guitar rig ,fm8, and absynth from NI, Aether (for a great reverb), and uhe ace. I really want the dcam stuff, but instead of pirating I am saving up and learning what I have. I used Omnisphere for a month and returned it to sam ash.
If I get dcam, some Adam monitors, a decent bass or scarbee, and a polyevolver I would be pretty much done with gear lust personally.

Most people here are either developers for some kind of software (music industry or not), work in networking, or are musicians and understand how pirating messes up big productions.

I was once a big time pirate but all it did for me was get me a folder full of vsts and no actual knowledge of my tools.

I could preset for weeks but couldn't make poo poo.

I can't stress enough how good paying for your stuff makes you care about it. It will instill in yourself the fire and desire to really learn the ins and outs of your tools.

I gotta learn this poo poo I saved forever for it!!

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 14, 2010

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Gibberish posted:

I dunno, i know people that start on cracked software to try some but everyone I know who's got a bit better and knows what they want went and bought their poo poo.

Nigel Tufnel - Renoise is incredible for idm. I'm pretty sure venetian snares uses it. http://www.renoise.com/
It's also incredibly cheap at 58 euros, and really lightweight. I use it when i'm on the move without my soundcard and never had a problem with audio quality.

It's a different way of working, but an afternoon of reading the manual and watching youtube tutorials will get you up to speed in no time.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Latest track, just started it an hour ago:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I'm close to shelling out on an Ohm64. From what I've seen and read it looks excellent, but does anybody want to give me a yay or nay before I click the order button?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Dicky B posted:

I'm close to shelling out on an Ohm64. From what I've seen and read it looks excellent, but does anybody want to give me a yay or nay before I click the order button?

Do it, they are hand made in a vertically integrated factory in the United States. They are extremely cordial and provide great service.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Dicky B posted:

I love those things. Super build quality.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

ManoliIsFat posted:

Pretty excellent. I'd say is you gotta do is make it seem a little less like it's just glitchy drums played over a normal song, but I do that all the time. All my album are basically your format: Speed up or slow down the vocals, put drums everywhere, upload the mp3s on a website.

Thanks. I have a hard time making it sound like much more is going on than just drums and my sample, but it's definitely something I have to work on. I just did a new one, this time Katy Perry, and its still basically just drums and the sample. Oh well, I'll get there someday.

http://soundcloud.com/second-suitor/california

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
James blake is rocking my socks off.

I've never heard a producer like him.
CMYK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQoQirZwxE4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKHCNlIAnnE

He's 21, and has 3 ep's out already...
One to keep an eye on I think.

edit: he also does remixes under the name harmonimix...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXuBTGm-5VU&feature=related

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 16, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I'm not sure if my request/question should go either here or some other thread, e.g. Small Questions but I'll just fire away.

I'm looking for some free VSTis that could emulate these two specific synth sounds:

The synth piano in the beginning.

The crunchy synth.

At least the latter sound seems quite prevalent in reggae and all kinds of other genres so it's probably something well known but I know squat about synths in general so go figure. V:shobon:V

If there are some other free vintage VSTis, I'm open for recommendations. :)

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Probably have better luck here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2974992

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

BUTTERWORBS posted:

What you've got right here is a loving amazing badass intro. Seriously. I can hear how it should be followed up in my head. At like 58 seconds in I would just let the reverb/notes ring out, pause a second and then have a HUGE heavy bass drop, bigtime main synth and unfilter the drums and just have the song go in a whole other direction, instead of it just kind of going on a little while longer and repeating.

Thank you. :) I suppose I'll take it in that direction now, since, now that you mention it, I can see it would be a nice intro to something.

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm looking for some free VSTis that could emulate these two specific synth sounds:

I'm afraid I'm unable to help you, but your post reminded me: Do we have a general VST thread, or a thread for good free VSTs or something? It's always nice to find some high-quality softsynths or what have you, so a thread could be very helpful. If we don't have one, would anyone be interested if I started one?

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

RizieN posted:

Probably have better luck here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2974992

Ah, I was looking for that thread but somehow missed it. Will cross-post there, thanks! :)

Klint
Dec 19, 2006
Klint Eastwood
Hello all again, made a new trance track, let me know what you guys think

http://tindeck.com/listen/ycfr

also, this sounded a lot better in ableton than after export, what should I look into to help me fix this? (the reverb gets much more echo-y and tinny and I probably need to do some EQ work)

EDIT: above link doesn't exist, I ended up using audacity to record straight from my windows mixer and played it in ableton to get rid of the problems

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/yvqr

is where it's at.

Klint fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 18, 2010

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
http://soundcloud.com/navidnb/navi-this-direction

Please take a listen to my track and tell me what you think. I'm quite proud of it. :D Thanks all!

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 18, 2010

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Klint posted:

Hello all again, made a new trance track, let me know what you guys think

http://tindeck.com/listen/ycfr

also, this sounded a lot better in ableton than after export, what should I look into to help me fix this? (the reverb gets much more echo-y and tinny and I probably need to do some EQ work)

Are you using at least 320kbit Unicode MP3s? You could also try using FLAC or WAV when you render it to make sure it's lossless.

zeldadude posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/navidnb1

Please take a listen to my track and tell me what you think. I'm quite proud of it. :D Thanks all!

Pretty good. It fits into the genre well, honestly it could use a little bit more of a punch or a thicker bassline, but that's all I would change about it.

I was screwing around today and ended up with this.

Gibberish fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 17, 2010

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMyRrIXtSU

Tried to go for a electro-pop vibe.. except for the goth/conspiracy/sega genesis crowd. Tell me what you think.. as I'm still not sure if it's a little too 'out there' and lofi. Then again I can't really write mainstream stuff anyway.

• Locked thread