Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Indeed. My parents took me there when I was 12 or so, too young to really appreciate such things. Now I want to take my girlfriend there next summer. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Kimbasaur
Jul 13, 2010

ought ten posted:

As promised a few posts up, some of my pictures from Brickfair.

Detail of the battle with the Stay Puft Man.

This is fantastic. Great Movie. Great Set. The smile is just perfect on the Stay Puft man.

Does Anyone know if there was an actual set for Ghostbusters? I can find a lot of the minifigs for sale, as well as the Eco-1. Was that the set itself?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

A Kimbasaur posted:

This is fantastic. Great Movie. Great Set. The smile is just perfect on the Stay Puft man.

Does Anyone know if there was an actual set for Ghostbusters? I can find a lot of the minifigs for sale, as well as the Eco-1. Was that the set itself?

No, those are all custom jobs.
Brickforge makes custom Proton Packs and Goggles accessories.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I wish I were closer to Lego stores and Brickfair :cry:

A Kimbasaur
Jul 13, 2010

Flavor Bear posted:

No, those are all custom jobs.
Brickforge makes custom Proton Packs and Goggles accessories.

Ahh, I was wondering why I couldn't find anything on Lego and now it makes sense why most of them said "Custom."

InfinEight: I feel your pain, but it seems like they are opening new stores all the time! One day you'll get a store near you and I will have one near me and everything will be right in the world. :D

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm on a whole different continent... Although there is one in the UK, that's still across the canal. Not as easily crossed for a poor student. :(

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
At least I've got BrickCon to look forward to here. It's really gotten a LOT bigger recently so I'll bring a camera this time. Maybe I'll exhibit some stuff? I dunno, almost everything I make is really small.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'd buy the poo poo out of that one Sherman tank if it was a set. There is not nearly enough lego tanks.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Stregone posted:

Probably the best use of that plant thing I've ever seen (but I doubt the Lego Group would approve).

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I remember seeing that before in a zombie diorama. The one with the Lebowski reference (Walter+Bowling Alley). It's now locked in my mind for future use, as so many things I pick up from this thread are.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Oxyclean posted:

I'd buy the poo poo out of that one Sherman tank if it was a set. There is not nearly enough lego tanks.
This is for you.

http://www.mechanizedbrick.com/mb.html

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

At least I've got BrickCon to look forward to here. It's really gotten a LOT bigger recently so I'll bring a camera this time. Maybe I'll exhibit some stuff? I dunno, almost everything I make is really small.

Some of the best things I saw at brickfair were small stuff.

More pics. didn't wanna flood the thread all at once.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
By far, the best one of that lot is the Emoticon.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I remember reading an interview somewhere that explained that at one time Lego wouldn't make any kind of realistic minifig guns or similar, because of the owners'/directors objection to "war toys".

After Lego had a downturn in the 90s, that kind of went out of the window, partly because they realised that kids would play "war" with lego anyway. (And who didn't try making an lego-beam firing gun growing up?) Nowadays you can get Nazis with guns in the Indiana Jones sets, so I don't see why they couldn't have an armed forces theme with tanks and warships and whatever.

As a kid I had some (I guess you would call them microscale) Tente warships that were pretty neat (though non-lego compatible) and I always wondered why there wasn't anything like that in real lego.

Also, something like a tank with a traversing/elevating turret would work well as a technic set and be a nice change from yet another crane or motorbike or tractor.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My little brother just discovered legos a few months ago and he got a few of the space police line for his birthday. I dug around our basement and found some of my old legos. I threw together two lovely spaceships to add to his armada. He got as excited over them as he did over his fancy manual-built space police ones. He told me that the one on the left is now "his second most powerful spaceship". :3:

Presenting lovely spaceship with laser on top and smaller lovely spaceship, my first lego constructions since I was like fifteen:

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

ought ten posted:

That's fantastic. I hadn't made the connection but I see it now. I really like the look he achieves. Were you hanging out by the trains at the PennLUG table on Sunday around 1?

I probably was. I was there most of the time.

quote:

This post-apocalyptic table (maybe DC area LUG?)

The post-apoc layout was headed up by Carter Baldwin, who's also in PennLUG. He built the tall, leaning building with all the broken windows. It isn't any specific LUG that built the rest. It was basically an invitation-only collaboration. They started the planning last year for how the snow standard would look and where the major structures would go. The Washington Monument is becoming a fixture of the display every year.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Hobnob posted:

Nowadays you can get Nazis with guns in the Indiana Jones sets, so I don't see why they couldn't have an armed forces theme with tanks and warships and whatever.
They're still whimsical and cinematic, and they're depicted as generic German bad guys. They don't have swastikas or anything. That said, the relatively new LEGO tommy guns and semiautomatic pistols caught me by surprise, especially since they were released with the Batman sets where they weren't even really necessary - LEGO could have gotten by fine with unarmed or revolver-toting thugs in those sets. The handgun is the first truly "modern" firearm we've gotten, and LEGO certainly has taken a shift toward the violent lately.

Still, Indiana Jones and Batman are comics and movies. LEGO wants to avoid glamorizing real violence, which is why weapons appear in licensed and action themes, but City police are armed with megaphones and radios. I strongly doubt a military theme will appear, though we might get tanks and soldiers and guns as a side-effect of various licenses.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Slowly it grows:

Click here for the full 1280x859 image.

Click here for the full 1280x859 image.

Added ducks and a skeleton, as well as a spider. Working on a mounting solution for bats.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Intoxication posted:

Slowly it grows:

Overall I really like it. I think the waterfall is my favorite detail. You've really nailed the movement of the water where it hits the pond, and using two colors for the pond water is very effective.

I normally don't go in for rock made with BURPs, but I think you've done a good job of preventing too much repetition. I also think you've done a good job placing vegetation.

One thing I don't much like is the use of slope bricks on the path. The transation between the flat parts of the path and the slopes is a bit extreme I think. I tend to think any landspace except for rock whould be made with plates and bricks with studs showing everywhere. An exception might be the green slopes you have around the rim of the pond. I think they get the job done pretty well. I also can't see the transition between the path, which I assume is dirt, and the wooden dock. I'd suggest making the dock out of tiles to show that difference better. Also, and maybe you just haven't gotten to this yet, but the path should probably be lower than the ground around it, rather than higher. Little details like those really sell a landscape, I think.

I'm not trying to be hypercritical or anything, but I've been doing a lot of thinking and discussing about landscape lately.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:

Stregone posted:

Best "Chicken Walker" ever

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I loving love those two ruined buildings, especially the second one. It's execution is perfect.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

EvilRic posted:

I flew over this place on the way back from france and couldn't work out where it was or find it on maps. Thanks for mentioning it as i finally know now and can visit it at some point!
I went there on a school trip as a lad, and found the place really interesting, if somewhat eerie. Definitely worth a visit, if memory serves.

It's probably been mentioned a couple of times, but BBC America is playing the LEGO episode of James May's Toy Stories this week. I think the next showing is Saturday afternoon.

Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIwr-dyIsn8

Jbobj
Sep 22, 2007
I was there as well, but only had a cellphone on me, so most pictures didn't come out good at all. Here are a couple of them that came out decent of some of the ones I found most interesting.

Part of one of the bigger battles they had, with hundreds of legomen fighting and dying.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

A creepy clownface ferriswheel. The wheel, mouth, and eyes were all motorized and it genuinely seemed to scare some of the younger kids there.

Click here for the full 685x743 image.

An excellent done Normandy from Mass effect with matching Mako.

This huge glass was made of almost entirely clear 2x1 bricks. I don't remember if there is naturally enough spacing to get those bricks to curve so nice like that, or they did something like file all those bricks on one side.

Click here for the full 548x910 image.

One of my favorite. A mosaic of the Afghan Girl. Her Eyes can still stare into your soul even made of lego. It was awesome how they were able to make extra colors, by making it a two layer mosaic with solid bricks under the translucent ones.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Jbobj posted:

This huge glass was made of almost entirely clear 2x1 bricks. I don't remember if there is naturally enough spacing to get those bricks to curve so nice like that, or they did something like file all those bricks on one side.

1x2 bricks can make curves that big naturally. I've seen it used to great effect in space and castle MOCs as well as sculptures. In fact, I think there was a discussion about that in here a long time ago.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Duck of Death posted:

Probably the best use of that plant thing I've ever seen (but I doubt the Lego Group would approve).

Are there ever any Lego reps at the cons, and if so, do they just ignore stuff like this or do they walk around clucking their tongues and giving disapproving looks to stuff like this and vendors like Brickarms?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Jbobj posted:

Part of one of the bigger battles they had, with hundreds of legomen fighting and dying.

:monocle:

This rules. And reminds me I need to buy more redcoats for my Imperial Flagship.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are there ever any Lego reps at the cons, and if so, do they just ignore stuff like this or do they walk around clucking their tongues and giving disapproving looks to stuff like this and vendors like Brickarms?
BrickCon has a LEGO table / large booth in it, and the reps there seem every bit as into it as anyone else. Not every rep is an exact embodiment of the philosophy of the toy. They dig tanks and guns and poo poo as much as the next guy.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There are plenty of Lego reps present at shows like this. Usually Steve Witt, Community Coordinator for North America, attends as do representatives from the local stores. Sometimes other employees come to give talks. For example, Jamie Berard, who used to be in NELUG, I believe, gave a talk on concept models this year. He designed the Cafe Corner buildings, Emerald Night, and some of the Creator sets. Here's his prototype Creator garbage truck that never came to be in and of itself, but became the basis for the Toy Story truck.

Lego doesn't really take any official position on the violent MOCs and third party stuff like Brickarms as far as I am aware. They just ask that their name and trademarks never be associated with other products.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still trying to figure out this motherfucking lift situation. Trying to cram 5 bricks high movement in 4x4-4x6 or so...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Still trying to figure out this motherfucking lift situation. Trying to cram 5 bricks high movement in 4x4-4x6 or so...

that should work, no?

edit: loving confirm

Click here for the full 1689x1067 image.

edit2: I also learned you can pick colors not on the color palette by hovering over the colors on the top row in LDD.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 11, 2010

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Those LDD hinges are click hinges, so I wouldn't recommend using them specifically for that kind of lift.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

3 posted:

Those LDD hinges are click hinges, so I wouldn't recommend using them specifically for that kind of lift.

Yeah, I'll have to get the old-school hinges probably (although the click hinges would solve the "support itself" problem...)

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 11, 2010

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Yeah, I'll have to get the old-school hinges probably (although the click hinges would solve the "support itself" problem...)

I you were to double the number of finger hinges in that old set design to 4 rows, it would definitely support itself, unless you got some really loose hinges. It might even do alright as is. Sometimes those hinges are pretty tight.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Carbohydrates posted:

This is for you.

drat, I want those step-by-step instructions - but $40?

I need to build some tanks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I you were to double the number of finger hinges in that old set design to 4 rows, it would definitely support itself, unless you got some really loose hinges. It might even do alright as is. Sometimes those hinges are pretty tight.

I'll probably buy two rows of new and four rows of old and see if I can make the former work, because I'd prefer that.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Carbohydrates posted:

This is for you.

As cool as those are, and as much work as I can tell went into them, I still feel it's kind of a turd thing to sell instructions for MOC.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Flavor Bear posted:

As cool as those are, and as much work as I can tell went into them, I still feel it's kind of a turd thing to sell instructions for MOC.

You disapprove of my retirement plans? :(

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Flavor Bear posted:

I've had a lot of payment offers if I would make instructions for my rex, but I kinda feel the same. I'd rather share instructions freely when possible.

Jbobj posted:

I was there as well, but only had a cellphone on me, so most pictures didn't come out good at all. Here are a couple of them that came out decent of some of the ones I found most interesting.

A creepy clownface ferriswheel. The wheel, mouth, and eyes were all motorized and it genuinely seemed to scare some of the younger kids there.

Click here for the full 685x743 image.

An excellent done Normandy from Mass effect with matching Mako.

One of my favorite. A mosaic of the Afghan Girl. Her Eyes can still stare into your soul even made of lego. It was awesome how they were able to make extra colors, by making it a two layer mosaic with solid bricks under the translucent ones.

I really, really, really want to go to one of these gatherings sometime just to wander around and appreciate it all. At the same time, it would be hard to not imagine just grabbing random MOCs and playing with them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

InfinEight posted:

I've had a lot of payment offers if I would make instructions for my rex, but I kinda feel the same. I'd rather share instructions freely when possible.

If the instructions are as detailed as they seem then I can't really fault him for charging. I might even buy them if I can get him to throw in his Huey instructions from Series 2 with the Series 1 set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

InfinEight posted:

I really, really, really want to go to one of these gatherings sometime just to wander around and appreciate it all. At the same time, it would be hard to not imagine just grabbing random MOCs and playing with them.

I saw plenty of kids who felt the same way. One in particular just would not stop reaching across the rope to grab at models while the builder was holding them up to show him. It made me laugh a little to see a middle-aged man jealously pulling his models back from a nine-year-old like it was show-and-tell in kindergarten. I completely understand where the guy was coming from, I wouldn't want some kid breaking a model I'd worked months on, but just watching him try to keep the model away from a kid was pretty funny.