Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loucks posted:

Should I get the Clymer manual for my SV650s, or is there a superior resource for repair/maintenance information?
I'm not sure it's cool to post links here, but a Google search for "SV650 Factory Service Manual PDF" or something similar will get you want. Unless you want a paper one, in which case, order the FSM from somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

Any recommendations for a decent sporty/sport touring tyre? I want to do a couple track days but most of my time is spent riding around town or on freeways to get out to good riding roads.
cycle gear having some deals on sportmax q2s, also been recommended to look at BT016. I'll be coming from the oem D220s so i figure anything would be an improvement right now..

If you are talking about the email from cyclegear and the after hours combo deal with Q2's, it doesn't include a 160 sized rear which is what I have always run on the rear for trackdays with my sv. I was pretty bummed about that :(

schreibs fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 11, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I have the same size tires as SV650s use on my F2, 120 front and 160 rear, and Pilot Powers work pretty well for street/track tires.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

GanjamonII posted:

Any recommendations for a decent sporty/sport touring tyre? I want to do a couple track days but most of my time is spent riding around town or on freeways to get out to good riding roads.
cycle gear having some deals on sportmax q2s, also been recommended to look at BT016. I'll be coming from the oem D220s so i figure anything would be an improvement right now..

I'm running BT-023's on my sv, and they seem to stick incredibly well. I'm not sure I'd run them on the track though. However, if you're looking for a good sport-touring option, I cannot recommend them enough.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Just posting to say that I love my SV. Every time I'm on it, I'm like :ninja: :monocle: :neckbeard: all at once.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GanjamonII posted:

Pilot Road 2CT?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Finally legal on my SV650s, and the first ride was amazing. Gobs of torque, more horsepower than I know what to do with, and if the seating position is a bit more aggressive than I'd like it's not too bad. I didn't have it above 50mph or 7000rpm, but the acceleration from 10-50 left me with a grin.

One issue: the stock mirrors suck! I have no interest in looking at my arms and shoulders, and they don't seem to adjust. If they do adjust feel free to call me an idiot and move on, but otherwise who makes good bar end mirrors? Newenough sells PSR Bar End Mirrors, and I assume they'd fit my bike with its stock handlebars. They are a little spendy at $68 each, but I'm willing to pay for quality when it could prevent hospitalization or death.

edit: Yeah...I'm dumb. Thanks.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 12, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They do adjust. There's a ball and socket joint at the mirror and a hinge at where it meets the fairings, sometimes they like to stick. You can peel back the outer rubber covering at the base of the mirror and see which way it adjusts.

Congrats on your bike and first ride :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 12, 2010

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
yeah the mirrors are kind of a pain to adjust on the S,but they do adjust

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So I just discovered that my right fork's seal is leaking a bit. Is there a good, noob-friendly guide to follow on fixing this? I assume that I'd be replacing the oil at the same time - it just hit 11,000 miles recently (K3).

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Here's a good article on it for an SV: http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_fork_oil/

It's really not too hard. The trickiest bits are 1) suspending the front of your bike in a stable manner that doesn't involve lifting it by the forks and 2) finding a PVC pipe of the right diameter to use as an oil seal driver. The rest if pretty cake. And yes you'll be replacing the fork oil as well, since you have to drain it anyway to remove the leaking seal.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I fooled around with my stock mirrors, but I still find myself having to tuck my elbows in and lean a bit to see what's behind me. Who has upgraded mirrors and what do you think of them?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I replaced the mirrors once. Got some cheapy banana leaf style mirrors.

They sucked too after a while and I put the stockers back on.

The devil you know.....

It's a lot easier to tuck in your elbows when you need to see than take off the fairings and gently caress with it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Loucks posted:

I fooled around with my stock mirrors, but I still find myself having to tuck my elbows in and lean a bit to see what's behind me. Who has upgraded mirrors and what do you think of them?

you must have wide shoulders, i never had a problem with the stock sv mirrors.
you can buy spacers for them http://www.chewys-stuff.co.uk/mirror_spacers/9902sv-mirror_spacers.htm or you could make your own

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Pilot Road 2CT?

yeah think I'm going to go with these. I found somewhere I can get a set shipped for $230. Just gonna call around a couple local places to see if anyone can come close to that as I'd rather support a brick and mortar store if possible.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

GanjamonII posted:

yeah think I'm going to go with these. I found somewhere I can get a set shipped for $230. Just gonna call around a couple local places to see if anyone can come close to that as I'd rather support a brick and mortar store if possible.

I went to cyclegear and they sold me the Q2s in the sv650 sizes for $199.. gonna get em mounted this weekend. Awesome.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Here's a good article on it for an SV: http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_fork_oil/

It's really not too hard. The trickiest bits are 1) suspending the front of your bike in a stable manner that doesn't involve lifting it by the forks and 2) finding a PVC pipe of the right diameter to use as an oil seal driver. The rest if pretty cake. And yes you'll be replacing the fork oil as well, since you have to drain it anyway to remove the leaking seal.

thanks for this. I'm getting a pair of T-rex sliders soon in the mail. I'm thinking that they'd do good for holding the bike up on some jackstands.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Just got my new tyres mounted. Taking it easy for a little bit to break in, but already the bike feels pretty different. It turns so effortlessly now, and it feels really.. well.. precise. Im looking forward to really testing these out now.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004
Finally got my SV ride-able after the GSXR swap:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

It's really nice compared to stock, the Brembo brakes are absolutely absurd. Didn't realize how strong they were until I took my Triumph out and and felt like I was crushing the lever to get it to stop. Only thing is they make a lot of noise sounds like the pads are rattling around in the calipers, Zen did they always do that or do I have something hooked up wrong? Also did you use any spacers for the wheel? Seems fine without them but they show up on the parts fiche.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sick_Nukes posted:

Finally got my SV ride-able after the GSXR swap:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

It's really nice compared to stock, the Brembo brakes are absolutely absurd. Didn't realize how strong they were until I took my Triumph out and and felt like I was crushing the lever to get it to stop. Only thing is they make a lot of noise sounds like the pads are rattling around in the calipers, Zen did they always do that or do I have something hooked up wrong? Also did you use any spacers for the wheel? Seems fine without them but they show up on the parts fiche.

Hey, glad to see you finally got it all swapped over. If you think the brakes are nice when the setup is cold, wait till you get them hot. :v:

They do rattle like crazy in the calipers, there's only one pin in there, designed for quick swaps. If you hear a loud metalic clack when you gently apply the brakes, that's totally normal, it's the pads moving in the caliper.

Not gonna lie, it makes me super happy to see pics of my old gear being used on someone's bike. How's the spring rate/damping on the front?

Also I have another SV in my garage now, pics to come later :)

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

Z3n posted:

Hey, glad to see you finally got it all swapped over. If you think the brakes are nice when the setup is cold, wait till you get them hot. :v:

They do rattle like crazy in the calipers, there's only one pin in there, designed for quick swaps. If you hear a loud metalic clack when you gently apply the brakes, that's totally normal, it's the pads moving in the caliper.

Not gonna lie, it makes me super happy to see pics of my old gear being used on someone's bike. How's the spring rate/damping on the front?

Also I have another SV in my garage now, pics to come later :)

Cool glad the noise is nothing to worry about it. So far the spring and damping seem good I haven't pushed it too hard yet. The tires are a set of(at least) 2.5 year old power race's I purchased used that are starting to show dryrot, so I don't trust them so much. New set of tires is on the way. I'm considering a cam swap(2nd gen, old intake to exhaust) once I make sure everything is working in the current setup, I mean it needs the valves checked/adjusted so I might as well do it while I'm in there :-). Good to hear your an SV-haver again.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sick_Nukes posted:

Cool glad the noise is nothing to worry about it. So far the spring and damping seem good I haven't pushed it too hard yet. The tires are a set of(at least) 2.5 year old power race's I purchased used that are starting to show dryrot, so I don't trust them so much. New set of tires is on the way. I'm considering a cam swap(2nd gen, old intake to exhaust) once I make sure everything is working in the current setup, I mean it needs the valves checked/adjusted so I might as well do it while I'm in there :-). Good to hear your an SV-haver again.

The cam swap is a good upgrade, but in order to really open it up I'd start hunting for a set of flatslides to pair with them, they are the absolute business when it comes to gen 1 SVs, they add basically 10% power across pretty much the entire rev range. It's awesome. Combine a decent exhaust with the flatslides and the cam swap and it's amazing.

I'm not really an SV haver, just helping my friend out with his again:

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Crossposted from the post your bike thread:

I have been assimilated.

anothertenbux
Aug 17, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Z3n posted:

The cam swap is a good upgrade, but in order to really open it up I'd start hunting for a set of flatslides to pair with them, they are the absolute business when it comes to gen 1 SVs, they add basically 10% power across pretty much the entire rev range. It's awesome. Combine a decent exhaust with the flatslides and the cam swap and it's amazing.

I'm not really an SV haver, just helping my friend out with his again:

Where do you source flatslides from and how involved is fitting them? I've always been raised on the dogma of UK SV forums, which is that there's nothing you can to do improve an SV's performance outside of a big bore mod.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

anothertenbux posted:

Where do you source flatslides from and how involved is fitting them? I've always been raised on the dogma of UK SV forums, which is that there's nothing you can to do improve an SV's performance outside of a big bore mod.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=48904&page=6

The first run is stock, second run is flatslides, 3rd run is flatslides/cams.

I'd be curious to see what the added gains from a bore kit on top of the 39mm flatslides is. You might want to go to 41s if you're boring them out and doing headwork.

Zoran's got a baseline fueling spec that I've got floating around somewhere that basically makes the carbs plug and play. The only thing that can be wonkey is tuning the air jets on the carbs so the bike actually idles. And they are INCREDIBLY responsive because you are lifting the slide directly, so throttle response is astounding.

I loved them because at certain tracks I could run a gear higher and not lose out on drive, all of the sudden I had the ability to lug the engine down to 6k at the apex and still get amazing drive out of corners whereas before I had to be at at least 8k if I wanted the bike to really drive out properly. It reduced the amount of shifting I had to do on the tighter tracks quite a bit. Also, it made for excellent power wheelies in first and second gear.

You can source them from ebay, or you can build a set yourself, find 2 39mm flatslides of the approriate configuration (I believe those ones are the downdraft but I don't quite recall) and order the cables and brackets from sudco. I found mine with everything, ready to go, for 350$, but that was the deal of the century, they typically run around 600-700$. I sold mine for 750$ and they sold within an hour of being listed.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 24, 2010

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Recently I took off my radiator bar which the P.O. had installed and tried to install the cheapo sliders that he had included with the bike. It was a no-go. The bolts weren't actually attached to the rest of the sliders, swiveling too easily inside them. And they didn't have a long bolt to go through the bike either.

So I got T-rex sliders a week and a half ago. I ordered swingarm sliders on the same day from Motosliders. Today I got the T-rex's. I found out that the Motosliders were shipped out yesterday, which was kinda annoying. I was gonna order frame Motosliders from them but instead went with the T-rex ones since they were cheaper and seemed to work nearly/equally as good, basing on SVRider accounts.

Anyone here rocking T-rex sliders?

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

Z3n posted:

The first run is stock, second run is flatslides, 3rd run is flatslides/cams.

I'd be curious to see what the added gains from a bore kit on top of the 39mm flatslides is. You might want to go to 41s if you're boring them out and doing headwork.

Zoran's got a baseline fueling spec that I've got floating around somewhere that basically makes the carbs plug and play. The only thing that can be wonkey is tuning the air jets on the carbs so the bike actually idles. And they are INCREDIBLY responsive because you are lifting the slide directly, so throttle response is astounding.

I loved them because at certain tracks I could run a gear higher and not lose out on drive, all of the sudden I had the ability to lug the engine down to 6k at the apex and still get amazing drive out of corners whereas before I had to be at at least 8k if I wanted the bike to really drive out properly. It reduced the amount of shifting I had to do on the tighter tracks quite a bit. Also, it made for excellent power wheelies in first and second gear.

You can source them from ebay, or you can build a set yourself, find 2 39mm flatslides of the approriate configuration (I believe those ones are the downdraft but I don't quite recall) and order the cables and brackets from sudco. I found mine with everything, ready to go, for 350$, but that was the deal of the century, they typically run around 600-700$. I sold mine for 750$ and they sold within an hour of being listed.

Yeah I have had my eye out for a used set, but they don't appear all that often and do go like almost instantly when they come up on SV-rider so it looks like getting a set is going to take a bit of luck or sucking it up and just paying the price for a new set. If I'm not going to get into boring or serious engine modification would I be best off with the 39mm's?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sick_Nukes posted:

Yeah I have had my eye out for a used set, but they don't appear all that often and do go like almost instantly when they come up on SV-rider so it looks like getting a set is going to take a bit of luck or sucking it up and just paying the price for a new set. If I'm not going to get into boring or serious engine modification would I be best off with the 39mm's?

I ran the 41s on cams/exhaust and it ran great. I'd probably run the 41s because they work fine with the stock bore but when you sell them they could go on either build level. But if I found a set of 39s for cheap I wouldn't say no to that.

I got mine by asking a guy who was parting out a built SV500 if he had them when he posted up a feeler. You gotta look hard for them, I think I was looking for 6 months before I found mine. You'll also need the special throttle cables that they make for them (It splits into 2 so that when you open the throttle it opens both carbs). I just ran the pull cable, no push cable. It's probably not the best idea, but I've never seen or heard of a stuck throttle. It is extra important to keep an eye on your cable though and make sure they're not binding or fraying.

Courtesy of Zoran at TWFracing.com (west coast SV guru), here are the jetting specs for the 41mm flatslides:

Zoran posted:

try this;
needle-OCELT 3rd clip
main air-200
main jet-165(160-165 is range)
air screw-3/4 turn out
mix screw-1 1/4 turn out
pilot -52
float-9-9.5
you can use 48 pilot but it is harder to start and like to pop at idle.
this is prety much base set up we start with and works good.needle clip or main is only thing we change from here.

Now that I've done it once before, I think I could make it work with a couple of 41mm flatslides, but it'd be a bit iffy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

a built SV500
A what?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

A what?

It's an SV400 (japanese destroked/sleeved bike) with the standard cylinders/pistons on it so that it becomes a 500. The built one that I got my flatslides off of was putting out ~80 RWHP. It's used to cherry pick the old 500 twins class, the guy that was parting his out used it to get like 5th out of 20 his first time out at daytona. A great way to pick up trophies, if you can live with the fact that you're basically exploiting the hell out of the rules.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Is it necessary to use Suzuki oil filters on the SV650, or can I buy the Wix equivalent (51359) and call it a day?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loucks posted:

Is it necessary to use Suzuki oil filters on the SV650, or can I buy the Wix equivalent (51359) and call it a day?
While I don't if that specific filter will work, there's definitely no need to use OEM filters.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Loucks posted:

I use oem filters for cheap peace of mind. Filters are a debate just like anything else. I figure oem is the safest choice, a few bucks extra won't break the bank.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1925663657.html
How about that one?
I emailed the guy and the bike looks fine except for scratches here and there. Front cowling is gone but I don't mind riding it around with just the headlight for awhile.
Bizarrely the pictures show the choke lever completely sheared off, despite there being no damage to the bike? He says the forks seem straight but he's only ridden the bike around a parking lot so he isn't sure. Headlight and radiator are fine.

Is the choke lever a red flag for anything else? It seems like a terrific deal otherwise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nah the choke lever goes in accidents sometimes. I'd go check it out, offer 700, give him 900 if he's adamant about the price.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
What's missing in the picture? What's the bit by the lever that seems to have snapped off? I think my 2nd gen SV naked had the reservoir as part of the master. What is it like on the 1st gen?

Bike looks alright otherwise? I'm going to check it out tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it's not sold by then.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

King of all Machines Operate fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 30, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Mirror's got my vote.
Also, no brake fluid? Hm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's the line that goes from the brake fluid reservoir to the master cylinder. You'll need to replace the MC. The mirrors mount to the front of the fairing.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

You'll need to replace the MC.
Is there a special hammer you need for that?

*pulls pin, throws, waits*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2nd gen SVSes had the reservoir separate from the master cylinder like that. I imagine it was the same for first gen.

• Locked thread