Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

JizJizJiz posted:

I don't want to cause trouble - but I figured I should cross post this here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163404&pagenumber=142#post380617290

I'm a strictly digital guy who's only been shooting for about 1 1/2 years. I miiight keep the best example of each camera but the rest has got to go. I'm fairly certain there's no SUPER lenses in there. So what do I do?

Keep any lenses wider than 28mm, with the advent of Micro Four thirds systems these can fetch some amazing prices on ebay. (Seriously if you have a FD or OM mount 24mm lens I'd love to buy it)

You might think about buying a table at the OC used camera show (it's once a month and close by to Anaheim) or the one in pasadena. Really cheapo slr cameras might be a great donation to a local school or photo clubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I got this camera at the local Goodwill for $3. Everything seems to be in working order, it even had good batteries in it. It has a 50mm F/1.9 lens, and there's not too much dust showing up through the view finder.

This would be my first film SLR, I normally shoot DSLR Nikons. I never really considered doing much with film, but having gotten this little camera and cleaning it up and finding out that everything seems to be functioning on it, I'm kind of excited to experiment a bit.

I've started reading through this thread a bit, but it's quite long and there's a lot to get through. I don't think I want to jump straight into developing my own film yet, but I do like the idea of shooting some B/W. Based on some of the stuff I've read, I think I'll probably start with Kodak Tri-X 400.

I'd love to here some recommendations of any decent online photolabs that would develop my negatives and digital scans for a reasonable price.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

echobucket posted:

I got this camera at the local Goodwill for $3. Everything seems to be in working order, it even had good batteries in it. It has a 50mm F/1.9 lens, and there's not too much dust showing up through the view finder.

This would be my first film SLR, I normally shoot DSLR Nikons. I never really considered doing much with film, but having gotten this little camera and cleaning it up and finding out that everything seems to be functioning on it, I'm kind of excited to experiment a bit.

I've started reading through this thread a bit, but it's quite long and there's a lot to get through. I don't think I want to jump straight into developing my own film yet, but I do like the idea of shooting some B/W. Based on some of the stuff I've read, I think I'll probably start with Kodak Tri-X 400.

I'd love to here some recommendations of any decent online photolabs that would develop my negatives and digital scans for a reasonable price.

If you don't want to develop your own film but want to shoot B&W, you should consider starting with XP2 Super 400, which is a B&W film that can be developed by any walgreens.

Developing B&W film is pretty easy and can be done very inexpensively...the cost of sending out a few rolls of film will pay for the equipment.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I'd say you should definitely find a C41 B&W film if you just want to experiment. Your local shop will be able to process it, though you won't get the variety of film types that you will with in dedicated B&W films.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions. I have an Epson 2480 Photo scanner that includes a negative scanner. Should I try to scan the negatives I get back from walgreens myself, or let them do it and burn a CD?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do you get back from Walgreens anyway? As long as it's not JPEG and is of reasonably high resolution then you might be ok just letting them handle it.

It all depends on what your time is worth I guess.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Martytoof posted:

What do you get back from Walgreens anyway? As long as it's not JPEG and is of reasonably high resolution then you might be ok just letting them handle it.

It all depends on what your time is worth I guess.

Walgreens FAQ posted:

What is the resolution of the pictures on a Custom Photo CD?
If the original photos came from film that we developed, the resolution is 1612 x 1024 pixels—sufficient to produce a high-quality 8x10-inch print. (lol)
... The photo files are stored as JPEGs.

Ack.

Echo: 1612 x 1024 = 1.6 megapixels. Cell phone cameras are better than that, those are some pretty lovely scans. They might be okay for internet use (OK for facebook, maybe flickr, definitely not portfolio work).

JPEGs really aren't ideal for print, especially if you follow their suggestion and stretch 'em out to 150dpi for 8x10s... ew. Their "high-quality" claim does not mean "photo-quality." Your own scanner will probably do a much better job than that - but to save time, you could use their CD to figure out which negatives are worth a better scan, then redo those ones yourself or send those negatives to a pro shop if you need really big scans for large prints.

If you're getting 4x6 prints anyways, skip the photo CD.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 8, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pff. Yeah, pass. Scan them at home.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Pff. Yeah, pass. Scan them at home.

What would be a good, sub 200 dollar scanner?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

For new ones, probably the Canoscan 8800F or the Epson v600. Newegg's usually got that one for just about $200. I've been trying to make up my mind between the two.
If you're only doing 35mm negatives and nothing else, the ~$200 Plustek film scanner might work too.

If/when you can afford it, one of the glass holders from Better Scanning would be a great addition for either of the flatbed scanners.

Hot Dog Day #20
May 5, 2004
:|

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The Plusteks are a great deal if you're just doing 35mm, though I got one without the infrared and its a dust nightmare... probably okay for fresh film. Much better resolution than any flatbed I've tried.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I'd say you should definitely find a C41 B&W film if you just want to experiment. Your local shop will be able to process it, though you won't get the variety of film types that you will with in dedicated B&W films.
I've heard that the quality of C41 black and whites is terrible compared to normal B&W film, but I have no experience with them.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I've heard that the quality of C41 black and whites is terrible compared to normal B&W film, but I have no experience with them.

Its not terrible, just different. More 'digital' like is what people usually say.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I like using a roll to experiment like Marty said, then if you operate the camera wrong or something it's no big deal.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

Terrible is a pretty strong word. I like them personally, they are very versatile, and the Ilford product has no orange mask and can be printed in a darkroom if you so like, and also works with ICE so they scan nice too.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
My cousin opened the back of my camera and my film hit the light. There were probably 8 exposures on it. Can I venture forth or will everything be futile at this point?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Only what was out of the canister will be toast, everything still in it will be fine.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
If I pop it out and snip the end, can I use the remainder at another time?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sirkus posted:

Yep.

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black
Hey guys, I'd like to share my final film project from last semester's black and white class. It was supposed to be a "narrative." I developed and printed everything myself, using burning and dodging. Film was Kodak P3200 developed at 1600 in D-76. These are pictures I took of the matte boards on my SLR, so excuse the quality or any bluish tints. The last pic is a bit hard to see from the digital version, but it's a cityscape of the San Fernando Valley at night.

By the way, what you're seeing is a window matte, hand cut, two 11x14 matte boards per print. I used a bevel cutter. There are actually two windows in each display - one window for the main picture and one for the text underneath (that took a lot of measuring!). As for the text, in order to keep it all "old school", I printed out the text first on transparency paper from a laser printer. I then used the transparency to expose onto blank photo paper to get the white text with the black background. Anyways, here's my narrative about Los Angeles. These were meant to be displayed left to right in a gallery with the middle shot being the portrait orientation.

Feedback is appreciated!

Nedsmaster fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 10, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sirkus posted:

Just advance 2 frames from where it popped and you'll be fine, no need to snip anything.
e: mark the canister, obviously. The problem with snipping is that getting it back on might be a pain if the take up reel is designed to have the thinner part of a film strip (the part that sticks out on unused rolls) inserted into it. The problem with not snipping is that if you don't have a motordrive, getting back to the unexposed frames might take a while.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 10, 2010

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

East Lake posted:

I like using a roll to experiment like Marty said, then if you operate the camera wrong or something it's no big deal.

Guilty. On my first roll of film I messed with the rewind and ended up screwing it up by winding the film back into the roll where I can't get to it. Unless there's some magic trick to pulling it back out that roll is toast.

(I was messing around because I noticed the frame advance is busted on my $3 camera. I guess I can still shoot until I can't wind the film anymore, or keep track of the frames manually or in my head.)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It really looks like a sub-holga knock-off camera that you see in dollar stores.

The Canon T70 is a great camera with a wonderful lens range, and I will stan for that camera forever.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

echobucket posted:

Guilty. On my first roll of film I messed with the rewind and ended up screwing it up by winding the film back into the roll where I can't get to it. Unless there's some magic trick to pulling it back out that roll is toast.

(I was messing around because I noticed the frame advance is busted on my $3 camera. I guess I can still shoot until I can't wind the film anymore, or keep track of the frames manually or in my head.)

You can get a film leader retriever which can remove it, or you can try to (in the dark) roll it into another roll. Or, you can just take it and get it processed and get whatever images are there.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Nedsmaster posted:

Feedback is appreciated!
I definitely like the idea and the pictures are good. Developing for the text is smart and probably lends consistency to it visually in person. However I feel the series is weakened by the fact that there isn't consistency transitioning through the images: The narrative makes it seem like this is a one day/night adventure, except the 2nd and 5th images are very dark (dark sky) while the 3rd and 4th are light. It would have a much stronger impact had the 2nd photo been taken at dusk or had the 3rd image been a much darker silhouette.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The Canon T70 is a great camera with a wonderful lens range, and I will stan for that camera forever.

FD mount is definitely a great advantage, but drat if it doesn't resemble:

*not actually a SLR

http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/ar4392fh/

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

NIPPON*

*made in china.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I have a bit of a decision to make here. Obviously, as I showed last page I just picked up a new-to-me R8. It replaced my R4 that finally kicked the bucket after 6 years (plus however much is was used from 1984 until then). I've got 3 lenses for the R system right now (50mm f2, 35-70mm f3.5, 180mm f2.8). So that's my main system.

After the R4 died on a shoot I've been really paranoid about making sure I've got a backup camera. To that end I bought a Nikon F3. It's completely loaded, with a motor drive, second release, tension-sensing back, hot shoe coupler, and the motor drive body piece. I've also got an FM body. I only have 2 Nikon lenses, the 50mm f1.4, and a Tamron macro zoom that undoubtedly sucks. I can also adapt my Leica glass to the Nikon body.

I'm pretty sure I should just sell off all my Nikon gear to fund a second cheaper Leica body. R4s can be had on KEH as low as $140. I could probably even afford something like an R5 or R7 if I sold all the Nikon gear for enough. I'll be at a show that KEH will be attending this weekend.

So, Dorkroomers, is there any good reason why I should hang on to the F3 as a backup camera instead of selling it off and picking up a redundant body in order to stick with using the same single system?

My Flickr Page! :nws:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

I have a bit of a decision to make here. Obviously, as I showed last page I just picked up a new-to-me R8. It replaced my R4 that finally kicked the bucket after 6 years (plus however much is was used from 1984 until then). I've got 3 lenses for the R system right now (50mm f2, 35-70mm f3.5, 180mm f2.8). So that's my main system.

After the R4 died on a shoot I've been really paranoid about making sure I've got a backup camera. To that end I bought a Nikon F3. It's completely loaded, with a motor drive, second release, tension-sensing back, hot shoe coupler, and the motor drive body piece. I've also got an FM body. I only have 2 Nikon lenses, the 50mm f1.4, and a Tamron macro zoom that undoubtedly sucks. I can also adapt my Leica glass to the Nikon body.

I'm pretty sure I should just sell off all my Nikon gear to fund a second cheaper Leica body. R4s can be had on KEH as low as $140. I could probably even afford something like an R5 or R7 if I sold all the Nikon gear for enough. I'll be at a show that KEH will be attending this weekend.

So, Dorkroomers, is there any good reason why I should hang on to the F3 as a backup camera instead of selling it off and picking up a redundant body in order to stick with using the same single system?

Not as far as I can see.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

It's probably more bulletproof that anything you could get for the money, but you're pretty deep into a Leica system, and you can just keep the spare in a small pelican or so until you need it. Unless a squad of marines uses your car for rifle practice you'll be fine.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I ended up going for the Epson V500 scanner.

Do people tend to just use the Epson software, or is it worth swapping to something more dedicated? (e.g. Silverfast that i heard mentioned on flickr)

I thought maybe i could use CS5 directly with the scanner but it doesn't seem to have the import from Twain thingy even after installing the addons (possibly incorrectly).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

EvilRic posted:

I ended up going for the Epson V500 scanner.

Do people tend to just use the Epson software, or is it worth swapping to something more dedicated? (e.g. Silverfast that i heard mentioned on flickr)

I thought maybe i could use CS5 directly with the scanner but it doesn't seem to have the import from Twain thingy even after installing the addons (possibly incorrectly).

The epson software suuucks. You can get demos of both Silverfast and Vuescan. Try them both and see which you like better. I went with Silverfast Ai.

Oh and when the film holder pisses you off get a betterscanning holder. I have no more issues with curly film.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

8th-samurai posted:

The epson software suuucks. You can get demos of both Silverfast and Vuescan. Try them both and see which you like better. I went with Silverfast Ai.

Oh and when the film holder pisses you off get a betterscanning holder. I have no more issues with curly film.

Yeah i was getting mixed results from the epson software. I'll give Silverfast a proper try this weekend.

I didn't know you could get other holders too, that's interesting.

Thanks for the advice.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

EvilRic posted:

Yeah i was getting mixed results from the epson software. I'll give Silverfast a proper try this weekend.

I didn't know you could get other holders too, that's interesting.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah the betterscanning holder is solid and comes with a big piece of antinewton glass.

I only scan 120 though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My film is mostly flat anyway, but I also had good luck with a piece of regular photo frame glass supported on four corners by dimes. So much more convenient than the stock film holder on my Epson 3200 and it was free. Maybe give something like that a try before you spend the $80-100 on a betterscanning holder.

I know my scanner focuses 1mm above the glass, but to be perfectly honest I haven't seen much if any degradation in the quality of my scans. I'm going to try and find a 1mm thick piece of glass to lay on the scanner soon though.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I have some kodacolor II 110 size film that expired in 1979, and was probably kept in a garage in california for its whole life.

Is this junk for sure or is it worth trying?

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black

Rontalvos posted:

I have some kodacolor II 110 size film that expired in 1979, and was probably kept in a garage in california for its whole life.

Is this junk for sure or is it worth trying?

I'll tell you right now that anything kept in a California garage besides a car gets ruined from the heat over the course of 30 years. But you can give it a shot if you want.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Martytoof posted:

My film is mostly flat anyway, but I also had good luck with a piece of regular photo frame glass supported on four corners by dimes. So much more convenient than the stock film holder on my Epson 3200 and it was free.
Well, it costs 40 cents... ;)

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
I also found an old Kodak Pony 135C in my thrifting this weekend. They were only made between 1956-1958 and are pretty fun little point and shoot cameras. This one still had a roll of C-22 Kodacolor film in it which they stopped producing in the 1970's so it has been in someone's attic for a very long time. It's in pretty much EX+ condition and I was able to pick it up for $20. I'm going to try find a roll of Kodachrome to run through before it is too late.

All my film bodies

Took a shot of my FED-2 as well

More shots of the cameras at my flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ZoCrowes posted:

Took a shot of my FED-2 as well

Beautiful. The fed 2 is one of the prettiest FSUs of that line.