Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

TurboLuvah posted:

Hello everyone, I'm looking to finally buy an HTPC for my living room, and was looking REALLY hard at the Acer Revo 3610.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103266&cm_re=acer_revo-_-83-103-266-_-Product

The only thing that's bugging me is processing power, a 1.6 Atom is just not enough, I know it runs fine, but a lot of people are reporting stuttering during playback, which I do not want to deal with.

Is there anything out there that bests the Revo in the CPU department, or is Acer updating the Revo to a new generation CPU like the Atom D525 dual-core processor, maybe with NVIDIA's Ion GPU or something similar?

I would also like to try and keep the ~$300 price point.

It doesn't stutter when you turn on DXVA (which a ton of people forget to do)... even with 1080p material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, the Revo has the Ion GPU, and if you play files using hardware acceleration 1080p plays great.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah, the Revo has the Ion GPU, and if you play files using hardware acceleration 1080p plays great.

seriously, i think my cpu utilization tops out at like 50% or 60% on 1080p material, based on xbmc's info overlay

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
As everyone is saying, the Revo 3610 is a great option. Out of the box you will have issues though. There are plently of guides available that will show you what bloatware to remove, drivers to update, and Media software (such as XBMC) to install.

It has a very tiny footprint and quiet as hell too.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I just got my Revo yesterday and it works great, had to spend the whole evening setting it up but after that it's awesome. Only complaint is I wish the SPDIF port wasn't on the front, it's unsightly.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have experience about gaming with HTPC? I'm wondering if I could run Burnout Paradise and Mirrors Edge on Atom 1,6Ghz dualcore and Geforce 9400M at 1280x800 and still be playable.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone else have syncing issues with HDMI and your HTPC? I have it connected through a receiver and it's all very pretty with a single cable but sometimes the HTPC just won't connect to the TV. Everything is working except that the TV says "No signal." I don't even know how to troubleshoot it since nothing changes obviously between when it works and when it doesn't. I end up having to hard reboot the PC, then the BIOS screen will usually come up on TV and it works from there.

It was rock-solid when it was hooked directly to the TV with VGA, but then I don't get the switching abilities of the receiver.

It's just the kind of PC issue that drives me nuts compared to actual electronics gear.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Does it happen whenever you switch away from the PC input? Next time try simply unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in and see if that works.

I have the same problem. Any time I switch away from the PC input and try to go back it says no signal. Unplugging it and replugging fixes it though. I thought I fixed it by disabling the Simplink or whatever its called on my LG TV, but now even that doesn't work.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Check to see if y'all have any firmware updates for your TVs. I was having an issue where the TV would blank out and make a loud CLICK noise, and updating the firmware fixed it.

This was a couple of years ago, and I'm still amazed we live in a world where I can do that.

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010
I don't know if anyone talked about this puppy yet, but the ASRock ION330-HT is great. I just changed the original 2GB of RAM to 4GB. And it should be on the ~300 dolars price range.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

LittleBob posted:

I'm in the position of needing both a new storage box and looking to replace my existing viewing solution (WD TV, it sucks). I'm intending to put XBMC on to Ubuntu using the following:

Silverstone LC10 HTPC Case
Enermax Pro 82+ PSU
Gigabyte H55M-USB3
i3 530
2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
D-Link network card for sharing connection on to Blu-ray player
MCE Remote

Anybody see any problems with this? I'm not including an optical as I have a spare I can use for install, but otherwise it wouldn't be used.

The case can hold 7 HDDs, which gives me room for 12TB plus a boot drive. It would sit under my TV, connected to the network, and be on 24/7 to serve the files. Although the majority of the use would be playing HD content straight on the box anyway.

Edit: not trying to be a cheapass, but trying to this as frugally as possible.

Did you do this yet? I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind on basing the new HTPC on the I3-530 with H55, but it would be great to hear from someone who's already tried it out, before I commit.

Though, I am looking to put it all in a smaller case.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

MeKeV posted:

Did you do this yet? I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind on basing the new HTPC on the I3-530 with H55, but it would be great to hear from someone who's already tried it out, before I commit.

My boss just built a new HTPC and being the tech nerd he is, he documented the process as well as his component choices. He says it runs blazing fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPc5vwcQsy4

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

MeKeV posted:

I built one back in May, and I've been very happy with it. My build has an Asus board instead of the Gigabyte one. It plays blu-rays perfectly, and I've never had any serious issues with it.

Also, this is the case I used if you want one that is a bit smaller.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Hungryjack posted:

My boss just built a new HTPC and being the tech nerd he is, he documented the process as well as his component choices. He says it runs blazing fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPc5vwcQsy4

Nice one, thanks for that. Loving the "build" part of the video there :)
I'll have to price up the AMD+890 to compare.

traslin posted:

I built one back in May, and I've been very happy with it. My build has an Asus board instead of the Gigabyte one. It plays blu-rays perfectly, and I've never had any serious issues with it.

Also, this is the case I used if you want one that is a bit smaller.

Excellent. I'm pretty sure thats the case I've been looking at getting, but a version with an LCD on the front.

Does the stock I3 cooler fit in there ok? No heat issues with just the fans that come with the case?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

MeKeV posted:

Nice one, thanks for that. Loving the "build" part of the video there :)
I'll have to price up the AMD+890 to compare.

Excellent. I'm pretty sure thats the case I've been looking at getting, but a version with an LCD on the front.

Does the stock I3 cooler fit in there ok? No heat issues with just the fans that come with the case?

The stock cooler fits fine, and I haven't run into any heat issues even with the HTPC sitting in an entertainment center.

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002
I'm aiming to replace my server + WDTV Live combo with a much more low-power friendly HTPC/NAS.

The current server is a single Xeon 3.0ghz, 6GB RAM, with 3x300gb and 3x150gb hotswap SCSI drives. Hugely overpowered for my needs.

It is a file server, sabnzbd+ downloader, and torrent downloader. It feeds files to 2 laptops, but mostly is a repository for the WDTV Live to pull from.

I'd like to replace the whole setup with an attractive and cheap HTPC/NAS combo.

Here's my current plan:

Atom 330 with nVidia ION
2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 RAM
WD 2TB hard drive 'A/V' model
Apevia 250W PSU
nMedia HTPC case (room for at least 1 5.25", and 2 3.5" SATA drives
MCE Remote

This needs to handle x264 .mkv playback at 1080p @ 24p (likely through XBMC), as well as handle the sabnzbd and torrent duties of the old server.

I'm trying to keep this cheap, and power friendly.

Will this setup handle my needs? Any parts that you'd swap out for?

If 1080p x264 playback is too much for the thing I guess I could always strip out the HTPC parts of it, and build just a NAS instead (leave the WDTV Live for media duty)

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
My dad asked me to look into setting up something "that can watch movies from the internet on my TV" when his PC in the other room is turned off, and he doesn't want to spend a lot of money. I thought of the Acer Aspire Revo immediately but when I looked for them on Newegg to show him, they were $350 kits w/ keyboard and mouse and he said that was too much. He couldn't tell me a budget he had in mind other than "cheaper" than that because he swears he saw something that does what he wants at walmart for "less than $100."

Does anyone know what he's talking about or if there's anything cheaper than a $350 Revo?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Ziir posted:

My dad asked me to look into setting up something "that can watch movies from the internet on my TV" when his PC in the other room is turned off, and he doesn't want to spend a lot of money. I thought of the Acer Aspire Revo immediately but when I looked for them on Newegg to show him, they were $350 kits w/ keyboard and mouse and he said that was too much. He couldn't tell me a budget he had in mind other than "cheaper" than that because he swears he saw something that does what he wants at walmart for "less than $100."

Does anyone know what he's talking about or if there's anything cheaper than a $350 Revo?
is your dad technically proficient in computers? i wouldn't even bother and just get him some sort of netflix streaming solution.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Your dad probably saw a WDTV, Popbox, Boxee box or some similar cheap box that can stream Netflix. A/V has threads on all the major players, go check 'em out.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Unless your dad is really technically on the ball, he's going to hate an HTPC. XBMC is pretty good, but there are still some areas of the UI that don't make any drat sense.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I have a collection of .avi videos, I want an interface that will allow me to browse through them and pick one. Some of the videos are on my harddrive, others on a server.

What's going to be the best OS to use that has a simple interface? I don't want to record TV or anything fancy like that.

scanlonman fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 13, 2010

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
If your Dad doesn't need to surf the Internet from his big screen TV I would find a highish end Blu-Ray player. A lot can stream most Internet content a normal person would want (Netflix, Pandora, etc) and will have an okish UI. XBMC, WDTV, and other solutions are only good for streaming files in a bunch of random codecs.

scanlonman posted:

I have a collection of .avi videos, I want an interface that will allow me to browse through them and pick one. Some of the videos are on my harddrive, others on a server.

What's going to be the best OS to use that has a simple interface? I don't want to record TV or anything fancy like that.

For viewing movies check out XBMC. Runs on Linux and Windows and has a pretty sweet interface.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Kynetx posted:

Unless your dad is really technically on the ball, he's going to hate an HTPC. XBMC is pretty good, but there are still some areas of the UI that don't make any drat sense.

I'm in a similar situation with my dad. He's got a server, specifically to backup his laptops as they recently lost their iTunes info. So I have a WHS setup, and want something super easy to use that would stream from that box to the TV. I don't want to go XBMC, as it's simply too complicated.

Don't really care about Netflix streaming, though, as they use Blockbuster.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

EC posted:

I'm in a similar situation with my dad. He's got a server, specifically to backup his laptops as they recently lost their iTunes info. So I have a WHS setup, and want something super easy to use that would stream from that box to the TV. I don't want to go XBMC, as it's simply too complicated.

Don't really care about Netflix streaming, though, as they use Blockbuster.

Sup, WHS buddy? I do a direct rip with DVD shrink without any compression or transcoding so the menu and all features stay intact. My wife's dad sent us a 2-TB exterior drive as a gift a while back.

Unless someone can chime in with more info, you actually have some cool options.
1. Get yourself a set-top box that can support Samba (SMB) shares and you can just access them directly. This will require more consistency in CoDecs as the STBs are just plain less flexible than an HTPC.
2. Have an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3? Install TVersity to your home server and set it to transcode on the fly. My home server is a C2D E6600 with 2 gigs of RAM, so nothing extreme at all and it can handle on-the-fly transcoding, no sweat. I have no experience with the PS3, but I can tell you that the 360 will sometimes put up a fight with obscure combinations of containers and CoDecs. I have about 95% success, so it's still a very viable options.
I'm not real certain about this, but TVersity seems to act as a UPnP server that most devices can access, so you're certainly not restricted to those two game consoles.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Does anyone have experience about gaming with HTPC? I'm wondering if I could run Burnout Paradise and Mirrors Edge on Atom 1,6Ghz dualcore and Geforce 9400M at 1280x800 and still be playable.

Negative, you're gonna need a real processor to run those games. Even though the Atom's dual-core it's like having a dual-core Pentium III.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
drat. Well, can't get everything I guess. I have a machine capable of running those games but it has 8800 GTS which connects pretty poorly to a receiver. I'll have to think about this then.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Some receivers can do DVI. That plus optical or coaxial digital and you're golden.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
there are also dvi to hdmi cables so that's not really a problem

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Has anyone with a Zino had any trouble with esata? I've got a bluray drive in a caddy and it works fine over usb, but plugging in via the esata port and it's never found.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Kynetx posted:

Sup, WHS buddy?

Sup, yo.

1. This was what I thought. I'm not real interested in fighting codecs and what not. Or rather, having to troubleshoot that stuff remotely when they try to watch a movie.
2. They don't have either, but I hate hate hate the 360 & PS3 interface for playing movies. Maybe I'm just too used to XBMC.

Oh, well. I might convince him to spring for a Revo and just try to make it as simple as possible to use.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MeKeV posted:

I have an i3 and I use it and it works like a champ. I have the Zotac mini ITX jobber, works great. I don't use XBMC, I just use MPC-HC because I had a ton of problems with using GPU offloading with the i3's internal GPU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So, question. Is there a way in Windows 7 (or hell, linux if needed) to simultaneously output sound to multiple sound cards at the same time?

Situation:

I have a media center. I would like to output from it to a projector and a TV (in different rooms).

Projector would work if I used HDMI and then output the sound via the sound card on the HTPC. No issue there.

TV would work if I used HDMI and then output the sound via the HDMI cable on the HTPC. No issue there either.

However, I would like to do both either simultaneously or semi-simultaneously. Any idea how to manage this?

EDIT: I guess Virtual Audio Cable will solve this issue perfectly :D

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 16, 2010

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm having a problem running XBMC on an older dell. I'm using integrated graphics(intel extreme graphics 2), but I only want to playback avi.

I'm getting a white screen when I try to watch my videos with XBMC, everything else works fine. The avi works great in VLC player, so I know it's not the file. I've tried searching around, and I think it's because I don't have pixel shader 2.0.

I'm only with not using XBMC, but what are some other options I have that are similar to XBMC? I only want to use my HTPC to watch avi, and that's it. I don't mind if the program requires linux to run.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

scanlonman posted:

I'm having a problem running XBMC on an older dell. I'm using integrated graphics(intel extreme graphics 2), but I only want to playback avi.

I'm getting a white screen when I try to watch my videos with XBMC, everything else works fine. The avi works great in VLC player, so I know it's not the file. I've tried searching around, and I think it's because I don't have pixel shader 2.0.

I'm only with not using XBMC, but what are some other options I have that are similar to XBMC? I only want to use my HTPC to watch avi, and that's it. I don't mind if the program requires linux to run.

What version of XBMC are you using? If its the 9.11 build, I highly suggest you grab a nightly build from http://sshcs.com/xbmc/ and switch you video settings in it to use DXVA2.

If you need more info, head over to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3011303&pagenumber=1

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

EC posted:

Sup, yo.

1. This was what I thought. I'm not real interested in fighting codecs and what not. Or rather, having to troubleshoot that stuff remotely when they try to watch a movie.
2. They don't have either, but I hate hate hate the 360 & PS3 interface for playing movies. Maybe I'm just too used to XBMC.

Oh, well. I might convince him to spring for a Revo and just try to make it as simple as possible to use.

There is a TVersity plugin for Media Center. It works, but it's cludgy.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bonzo posted:

What version of XBMC are you using? If its the 9.11 build, I highly suggest you grab a nightly build from http://sshcs.com/xbmc/ and switch you video settings in it to use DXVA2.

If you need more info, head over to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3011303&pagenumber=1

I was able to get the nightly build working from just a fresh install, thank you very much! Highly recommend this.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

MeKeV posted:

Really late reply, but yes, I did. Works absolutely fine.

I ended up spending a bit more on buying a Windows license, because I could not get HDMI sound to output in Ubuntu. I tried every possible solution I could find, but it would just not go.

On top of that, if you want as much hard drive space as me, you're going to want either a bigger box or a completely modular PSU. I didn't intend to use an optical anyway, but it's still a tight fit getting in 6 HDDs etc.

Although I like the idea of having everything all in one, I'm pretty sure my next upgrade will be a set of Atom boxes and a dedicated server.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
Any thoughts on this HTPC setup? I wanted to beef it up with a dual-core because I also plan on running asterisk (phone system) and rtorrent. The idea of running all these services 24/7 on a low-power box like this is a lot more appealing than keeping my 650W desktop on all the time.

Newegg wish list:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12146711

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Are there any guides on how to configure your media player and codecs? I read a lot about people enabling or disabling features and I really have no idea wha tthey're talking about. If I want to watch a video I've downloaded onto my desktop I just double click it and it plays. However, things don't seem to be as simple when you start involving HTPCs hooked up to home theatre systems and flatscrren TVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Mr. Apollo posted:

Are there any guides on how to configure your media player and codecs? I read a lot about people enabling or disabling features and I really have no idea wha tthey're talking about. If I want to watch a video I've downloaded onto my desktop I just double click it and it plays. However, things don't seem to be as simple when you start involving HTPCs hooked up to home theatre systems and flatscrren TVs.

It depends on any number of things. What OS you're using, what video player you want to use, etc. VLC opens just about everything. Some people use ZoomPlayer for the various features it offers. If you're using a front-end, it might have it's own decoding engine (like XBMC) or it might rely on what codecs you have installed (like WMC).

I've never had a problem playing a file from XBMC.