Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

You know it.

I knew Fred slightly and their #3 gets lunch with me every now and then... no offer. They are a tough cookie to crack. At least he's open to helping me get my mass tort thing going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Roger_Mudd posted:

They are a tough cookie to crack.

a what, cookies are those little chocolate chip biscuits and they're very easy to crack thank you

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I knew Fred slightly and their #3 gets lunch with me every now and then... no offer. They are a tough cookie to crack. At least he's open to helping me get my mass tort thing going.

To be fair, a plaintiff's firm offering $160 K a year for a first year associate is loving AMAZING.

Mass tort thing you say? :raise:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Working either side of that issue is, in my opinion, horrible. My wife was a paralegal at a plaintiff-side mass tort firm for a while, and it looked like an absolutely miserable practice area, for both the plaintiff and defendant attorneys. Just gross.

FartsMcQueen
Sep 7, 2005

This is my gift, this is my curse.

billion dollar bitch posted:

During interviews, when they ask if you have any questions, do you think that I should mention things on their firm profile? Is this too gauche? Also, if you have any interview tips in general, I would love to hear them.

Seconding the request for interviews tips. Have interviews with some big firms in KC and STL next week and I am terrified.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Yeah I posted about it a while back, I'm going to be starting up a mass tort area of practice for a small firm. Since I was attacked and resigned my other gig I've got more time to spend on that. :)

I've done an internship with a mass tort firm, it's not so bad. Very feast or famine though.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

nm posted:

25-30 is just about the normal 1L age these days in the US.
I the UK, it would likely be different as that is an undergrad degree there.

And here I am about to turn 29 and feeling old. Thank god.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Mookie posted:

And here I am about to turn 29 and feeling old.

I hear shitlaw will do that to you.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Mookie posted:

As if you didn't start law school when you were a friggin' child.

Also, I don't feel like the 25-30 thing is terribly accurate. It seems the average age is 23, with about 80% of the class falling plus or minus one year from that. Of course averages always skew right, but I would be shocked if 25, let alone 30, was the average age of a 1L.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

FartsMcQueen posted:

Seconding the request for interviews tips. Have interviews with some big firms in KC and STL next week and I am terrified.

I feel like for screening interviews, they've already decided by the time they see your transcript. at least if there's no pre-screening. at the firm where I summered, I had a chat with the recruiting people and they were like yeah if your grades aren't up to snuff there's no chance you're going to roll in and win them over with your personality or super cool resume or something.

Mr Gentleman fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 12, 2010

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mr Gentleman posted:

I feel like for screening interviews, they've already decided by the time they see your transcript. at least if there's no pre-screening. at the firm where I summered, I had a chat with the recruiting people and they were like yeah if your grades aren't up to snuff there's no chance you're going to roll in and win them over with your personality or super cool resume or something.
If your grades are reasonably good but not fantastic screening interviews can sometimes make the difference though.

Anecdotally, the firm I'm at now screened twenty other candidates, many with better grades than mine, on the day they first interviewed me. They only invited one student from my school for a callback that year and I've since been told by both of the interviewers that it was my interview that won them over.

The extent to which it matters probably varies by firm, but after grades "fit" is the next most important factor. Screening interviews enable the interviewers to guess at how you'll fit in at their firm.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Mookie posted:

How did I fail to realize I'm older than you? Your posts always make me think you're in your late thirties.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Can anyone recommend a cheap (not a bench on the National Mall thx) hotel in DC? I don't know whether my interviews will be at separate places or at one location, but I would prefer near the attractions as much as possible. I want to stay a weekend too, so I'm sure rates are jacked up.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

MaximumBob posted:

How did I fail to realize I'm older than you? Your posts always make me think you're in your late thirties.

Because being an old cranky bastard has nothing to do with how old I am.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

As if you didn't start law school when you were a friggin' child.

Also, I don't feel like the 25-30 thing is terribly accurate. It seems the average age is 23, with about 80% of the class falling plus or minus one year from that. Of course averages always skew right, but I would be shocked if 25, let alone 30, was the average age of a 1L.

At my school I think the median age was around 25 for 1Ls. Maybe 26.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.
No calls yesterday after a week of ridiculousness and 2 second interviews. Think I'll find a bridge to jump off of now.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

soj89 posted:

No calls yesterday after a week of ridiculousness and 2 second interviews. Think I'll find a bridge to jump off of now.

Sorry :(

4 interviews, one tentative offer - me and him have an understanding that I'm not the best candidate for the job (not because of qualifications, but because his practice area is changing and it's not what I really want to do), but he might give me a call today to discuss things.

A friend got a call from a firm that she's third on their list. An hour later, they call again: "the two people ahead of you accepted. Well, peace."

edit: yeah that's gonna be my dilemma. It's a crim lawyer trying to start up a class action, which as far as career development goes wouldn't be a great move for me. On the other hand, it's a job for next year. Fuuuuuuuck.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 12, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

SWATJester posted:

At my school I think the median age was around 25 for 1Ls. Maybe 26.

I'm inclined to think "median age for 1L's" is probably a lot lower (23ish) at T14 schools since those are the schools which tend to be filled with all the uber-achievers that go HS-->Undergrad-->Law School, with no break for work or experience inbetween.

I would say the median age of 1L's at my law school was closer to 30 than to 20, owing most likely to the availability of an evening program and obviously more lax admission standards.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Mr Gentleman posted:

For our OCI, we have a GPA floor, but above that, there's a lot of discretion left to the interviewer.

So, we can decide "no" before the interview (or at least we could if we saw GPAs), but we'll never decide "yes."

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

gvibes posted:

For our OCI, we have a GPA floor, but above that, there's a lot of discretion left to the interviewer.

So, we can decide "no" before the interview (or at least we could if we saw GPAs), but we'll never decide "yes."

I had an OCI interview where I got the rejection letter in the mail the next day. So they must have decided "no" ahead of time and prepared the letter to mail right after the interview. Hell, maybe they mailed it before the interview. I had actually thought it went pretty well too. I was pretty pissed off about that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quepasa18 posted:

I had an OCI interview where I got the rejection letter in the mail the next day. So they must have decided "no" ahead of time and prepared the letter to mail right after the interview. Hell, maybe they mailed it before the interview. I had actually thought it went pretty well too. I was pretty pissed off about that.

I think some firms are known to do this at Columbia if you put your GPA on your resume.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

quepasa18 posted:

Yeah, depending on how the school does OCI, you can get an interview even with a GPA below our floor.

A year or two ago, I had a ~12 person interview schedule where only one person met our GPA floor.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

quepasa18 posted:

I once got a rejection letter dated the day after my interview. I interviewed on a Friday.

What are the chances that (1) the hiring partners deliberated that very day and the secretary worked a Saturday to send me my rejection; versus (2) I had been rejected before ever showing up?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Defleshed posted:

I'm inclined to think "median age for 1L's" is probably a lot lower (23ish) at T14 schools since those are the schools which tend to be filled with all the uber-achievers that go HS-->Undergrad-->Law School, with no break for work or experience inbetween.

I would say the median age of 1L's at my law school was closer to 30 than to 20, owing most likely to the availability of an evening program and obviously more lax admission standards.

Probably right, but American is not a T14.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Draile posted:

I once got a rejection letter dated the day after my interview. I interviewed on a Friday.

What are the chances that (1) the hiring partners deliberated that very day and the secretary worked a Saturday to send me my rejection; versus (2) I had been rejected before ever showing up?

Was this an initial interview, or a callback?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

evilweasel posted:

I think some firms are known to do this at Columbia if you put your GPA on your resume.

That's only if your GPA is lower than what they want, right?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Holland Oats posted:

That's only if your GPA is lower than what they want, right?

"He has a 4.0."
"What? He put his GPA on there? Reject."

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Sorry :(

4 interviews, one tentative offer - me and him have an understanding that I'm not the best candidate for the job (not because of qualifications, but because his practice area is changing and it's not what I really want to do), but he might give me a call today to discuss things.

A friend got a call from a firm that she's third on their list. An hour later, they call again: "the two people ahead of you accepted. Well, peace."

edit: yeah that's gonna be my dilemma. It's a crim lawyer trying to start up a class action, which as far as career development goes wouldn't be a great move for me. On the other hand, it's a job for next year. Fuuuuuuuck.

Take the job. You can always lateral.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I actually rejected it about an hour ago. :smith:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Goons rejecting perfectly OK jobs ITT

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Wow some people have early interviews...first OCI is on the 20th here, I haven't heard if I got it yet...although from what I hear 3L OCI's that lead to offers are like unicorns or leprechauns

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Ugh zero callbacks from yesterday. Is it time to take my swan dive off the Brooklyn Bridge?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Ugh zero callbacks from yesterday. Is it time to take my swan dive off the Brooklyn Bridge?

yes, and then when they call you back tomorrow with the offer it will pass on to someone else

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Soooo... I got an offer at one of the firms I interviewed at last month!

Everyone have a drink for me. Only took one and a half years.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HooKars posted:

When is SA going to put "like" buttons under posts so I can just like your post instead of having to actually say something to congratulate you? Good work!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

HooKars posted:

Congratulations, but what about your new-found (and well deserved) hatred of the practice of (firm) law?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Defleshed posted:

Congratulations, but what about your new-found (and well deserved) hatred of the practice of (firm) law?

I'm already dreading this job, but it's a job, and it pays. It doesn't mean I can't keep applying for admin and other similar jobs. Maybe if I'm employed they'll actually take my "I want a career change" seriously.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

HooKars posted:

Congratulations!

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

HooKars posted:

Congrats and good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HooKars posted:

Congrats, I will devote one of my already planned drinks for you. I'll even make it one of the pre-crying ones