Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Bubba has always had what I thought was a pretty good moveset for a guy of his size. The Bubba Bomb was always a cool, unique finisher, and I'm a little surprised nobody has picked it up as even a signature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
To be fair, when Bubba Ray is really fired up, he can deliver a hell of a promo.

I remember in that short lived Bubba/HHH feud, he approached HHH backstage and ice burned him pretty hardcore if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Not too bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0R4BKmZ6_w

89 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 11, 2010

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

LightsGameraAction posted:

Was this by any chance around the same time they pushed JBL as a main eventer? Because if so I can believe they considered it.

No, but it was around the time they started pushing Bradshaw as Austin's buddy and beginning a singles push. Led to him as Bradshaw. Hardcore. Champion. With longhorns on the belt.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Bubba has always had what I thought was a pretty good moveset for a guy of his size. The Bubba Bomb was always a cool, unique finisher, and I'm a little surprised nobody has picked it up as even a signature.

LET'S BOTH SIT DOWN!

I never liked that move.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

89 posted:

To be fair, when Bubba Ray is really fired up, he can deliver a hell of a promo.

I remember in that short lived Bubba/HHH feud, he approached HHH backstage and ice burned him pretty hardcore if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Not too bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0R4BKmZ6_w

I'm sorry, Bubba Ray talking about hunger is pretty bad, it's just funny. He's done much better promos.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

LightsGameraAction posted:

Was this by any chance around the same time they pushed JBL as a main eventer? Because if so I can believe they considered it.

that was 2002. the jbl push was 2004. hardcore holly also had a short main event program in 2003-2004. i guess if you're a huge guy in the wwe sooner or later they'll give you a chance :unsmith:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TL posted:

Bubba was essentially trying to re-create Mick Foley's feud with Triple H from a few years before, but without the storied fifteen year run building up to their match. I think HHH beat Bubba in a table match on Raw and then they reformed the Dudleys not that long after.

I seriously can't believe they considered loving Bubba Ray Dudley as a main eventer.

I actually think they were going more for Bubba as Dusty, via the whole "Common man has had enough of the arrogant well-to-do world champ making everyone feel small with thug tactics". Especially consdering HHH was pretty much being booked like Flair at the time.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Web Jew.0 posted:

that was 2002. the jbl push was 2004. hardcore holly also had a short main event program in 2003-2004. i guess if you're a huge guy in the wwe sooner or later they'll give you a chance :unsmith:

I believe Matt Hardy tells himself this all the time to keep from crying

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
How much longer is Matt Hardy's contract? Since I assume once it is does he will go join his brother if he is not in jail.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Web Jew.0 posted:

that was 2002. the jbl push was 2004.

The 2002 push was clearly an attempt and aborted face jbl main event run. JBL as a face when its not comedy (and apa was pretty much that after the minestary) sucks hes a natural heel.

On a side note I wish he'd loving come back and do commentary.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Every "Lockerroom Enforcer" ends up with a main-event push at some point I think is the message of Bubba/JBL/Holly.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

DannoMack posted:

Every "Lockerroom Enforcer" ends up with a main-event push at some point I think is the message of Bubba/JBL/Holly.

What main event push did Bob Holly ever get? His match with Brock at the Royal Rumble doesn't really count. The draw was the Rumble match and their match was an angle playing off Brock breaking Holly's neck and putting him out for a while, not just a "let's push the enforcer" idea. Actually, JBL got his shot because his finance book and Fox News appearances made him a good choice for the Million Dollar Man 2 gimmick.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Who is Willie the Worker?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

projecthalaxy posted:

Hahaha oh god

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

projecthalaxy posted:

I hadn't thought about that in years, though if I remember correctly, I believe it was Rob Van Dam.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

TL posted:

I hadn't thought about that in years, though if I remember correctly, I believe it was Rob Van Dam.

Scotsman put Detective Hamrick on the case and traced it back to RVD. I also remember Willie wanting WWE to bring Eminem to wrestlemania for some reason.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

WeaselWeaz posted:

What main event push did Bob Holly ever get? His match with Brock at the Royal Rumble doesn't really count.

You don't think Sparky Plug wrestling for the top title at one of the company's major PPVs counts?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

You don't think Sparky Plug wrestling for the top title at one of the company's major PPVs counts?

Clearly not, but the 30 wrestlers in the Royal Rumble main event? All main eventers.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

DannoMack posted:

Big Bossman wrestled Big Show for the WWF title. Was he a main eventer too?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

TL posted:

OK and what is the story?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Karmine posted:

OK and what is the story?
Willie the Worker was an anonymous wrestler within WWE who sent updates to Bill Apter and Joey Styles when they ran 1Wrestling.com. He mainly just bitched about things like creative decisions and pointed out a lot of things that were pretty true at the time. He complained that after being with the company for years he didn't even get to be at Wrestlemania but two worthless divas who'd been with the company for a year got a match.

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there a way to legally get old episodes of WCW Nitro or Thunder or even Attitude Era WWF?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toadofsky posted:

Is there a way to legally get old episodes of WCW Nitro or Thunder or even Attitude Era WWF?

WWE Classics on Demand does re-runs but you're pretty much stuck with what they choose to air in a given month, I believe.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Jerusalem posted:

WWE Classics on Demand does re-runs but you're pretty much stuck with what they choose to air in a given month, I believe.

They have a series called the Monday Night War that goes through in order for both raw and nitro. The main series is up to about May 98 and they also have "Monday Night War: The Beginning" which is up to February 96 or so I think.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are they seriously only on May of 98? I remember when I stopped watching in 2008 or so, they were in early/mid 97. Of course, them cutting the episodes from once a week to twice a month couldn't have helped matters.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Captain Charisma posted:

Are they seriously only on May of 98? I remember when I stopped watching in 2008 or so, they were in early/mid 97. Of course, them cutting the episodes from once a week to twice a month couldn't have helped matters.

MNW: The Beginning is also a condensed version, cutting each show to around an hour or so, and presenting as a single 2 hour program (Maybe one and a half?). The regular MNW episodes are the full things minus any Benoit stuff.

And yeah, it feels like a snail's pace the way they're doing it now.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

El Duke posted:

MNW: The Beginning is also a condensed version, cutting each show to around an hour or so, and presenting as a single 2 hour program (Maybe one and a half?). The regular MNW episodes are the full things minus any Benoit stuff.

Actually the MNW: The Beginning stuff is from back when both shows were only one hour anyway so it's still more or less uncut.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Karmine posted:

Actually the MNW: The Beginning stuff is from back when both shows were only one hour anyway so it's still more or less uncut.

I thought they were past Nitro's two hour point, but you're right. Still a little under a month to go.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

WeaselWeaz posted:

What main event push did Bob Holly ever get? His match with Brock at the Royal Rumble doesn't really count. The draw was the Rumble match and their match was an angle playing off Brock breaking Holly's neck and putting him out for a while, not just a "let's push the enforcer" idea.
Didn't the feud start around Survivor Series with Holly being disqualified for attacking Lesnar before the bell?

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Didn't the feud start around Survivor Series with Holly being disqualified for attacking Lesnar before the bell?

Holly returned at Survivor Series, but his feud with Lesnar didn't really heat up until they started building for the Rumble. Immediately after Survivor Series, Lesnar worked a mini-program with Benoit to lead up to Benoit entering the Rumble as #1 and winning. Holly faced Lesnar because there was literally no one else available. Undertaker was out, Big Show was US Champion, a heel, and Lesnar's ally. Lesnar vs Angle had been done to death, and Cena had just turned babyface and was working a feud with Big Show, so facing Lesnar wouldn't have made sense. Only other notable babyfaces were Eddie Guerrero and Hardcore Holly, and Eddie was splitting up with Chavo and wouldn't get his shot until the next month. Holly had the history with Lesnar, so it made sense.

That said, the match was a glorified 7 minute squash match, and Holly went back to the midcard immediately after. He was never meant to be a main eventer.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Has the Undertaker ever taken on Cena in a 1 on 1 match? I can't recall one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I vaguely recall them wrestling very early on in Cena's career, maybe a couple of weeks or so after he'd congratulated Cena on giving a good showing against Kurt Angle on debut.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

I remember this happening when Cena was a heel and Taker was a "this is my yard" MMA fighter.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

They had a brief feud right around the time of Cena's turn to the rapper persona. One of the lyrics in his first theme song was "You Deadman, Inc.? Well I'm about to make you famous" or something like that.

Cena vs. Taker for the streak would be a loving amazing feud. The crowd would eat it up, and I think it would be a great match.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

They had a really good PPV match during Cena's heel run at Vengeance 2003. That PPV was good all around, actually, with Eddie v. Benoit US Title tournament finals, and a good WGTT v. Kidman/Rey match, headlined by the Angle v. Brock rematch.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsD0_AQi3VQ

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
Along with the already mentioned feud between the two in 2003, they've had a couple of more matches after Cena turned babyface and Undertaker turned back zombie.

One took place on Smackdown in 2004 during the build up to The Great American Bash. They were doing an angle where Heyman had control of the urn, and thus control of Undertaker, and to show this he had Undertaker attack Cena, Booker T, RVD, and Rene Dupree. This led to Cena vs Undertaker the next week for the go home show (I think). I honestly don't remember the finish very well, but I want to say Undertaker pinned Cena, but there where some shenanigans involved.

EDIT - Had to look it up because I was curious, but yeah, Undertaker pinned Cena by hitting him with Cena's chain.

Then they fought again in 2006 on a 3 hour Raw during the build up to Cyber Sunday. You can watch that match, actually. It's not long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Cxc12txmM

Graic fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 12, 2010

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
When wrestlers get in each others' faces in the ring, bumping chests and so forth, are they actually trash-talking (well, not actually, but "pretending to trash-talk" seemed weird), or are they planning the next things they're going to do in the match?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The Goog posted:

They had a brief feud right around the time of Cena's turn to the rapper persona. One of the lyrics in his first theme song was "You Deadman, Inc.? Well I'm about to make you famous" or something like that.
He had a great line during that mini-feud. Wish I could remember it verbatim but it was one of his rhyming promos that ended with something like "If you're the dead man, then I'm the necrophiliac" :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?
Reading the posts in the past few pages it seemed like creative took more risks back than they do today. At least that's how I perceive it. =p