Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, I have open Tyrian, it works amazingly well. But owning a game never seems to stop me from getting games on GOG. I consider it a thank you for their services and encourage them to continue posting amazing games hassle free for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dominic White posted:

and voice acting that makes Oblivions seem like an oscar-winning performance, which is saying something.

Silence, knave!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Holy poo poo, Raptor! Awesome game, but how does it compare to the original, Apogee DOS-based version?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Charles Martel posted:

Holy poo poo, Raptor! Awesome game, but how does it compare to the original, Apogee DOS-based version?

I'm 99% certain is the original, Apogee DOS-based version. Just with some weird license changing and optional HQ2X scalers or some crap.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, I have open Tyrian, it works amazingly well. But owning a game never seems to stop me from getting games on GOG. I consider it a thank you for their services and encourage them to continue posting amazing games hassle free for me.

That and I find it's easier to just download the games from GoG (and then throw the install files on a hard drive in case you need them again) than to hunt down the discs and re-install, then make sure everything works right and patch it, etc.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AxeManiac posted:

owning a game never seems to stop me from getting games on GOG. I consider it a thank you for their services and encourage them to continue posting amazing games hassle free for me.

I am guilty of doing this with more than one game. Three at least.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

I own three copies of Two Worlds.

Still trying to find the rad collectors edition, I'm kicking myself for not picking it up for $10 at a Gamestop before I knew about it.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I am guilty of doing this with more than one game. Three at least.

I've done this with all 3 gabriel knights, duke 3d, ROTT, Commandos 2, Arcanum, and a few more. It's just easy to have digital copies. Plus my physical ones are at home.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Magnificent Quiver posted:

I own three copies of Two Worlds.

Still trying to find the rad collectors edition, I'm kicking myself for not picking it up for $10 at a Gamestop before I knew about it.

Fun fact, I went to a gamestop with my cousin and they are selling Two Worlds for 360 for 6.99, but the boxes also had stickers on them that said %50 off. So you can pick up Two Worlds for 3.50 cents.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Has the AD&D Gold Box ever resurfaced without the need of the emulators and cpu throttling?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I'm glad I got Enclave in the sale, I vaguely remembered playing the demo of it and its been a lot of fun so far. Looks nice for an Xbox era port too.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SERPUS posted:

Has the AD&D Gold Box ever resurfaced without the need of the emulators and cpu throttling?

I can't even begin to sort out the licensing labyrinth GoG would have to navigate to release those things. I'm probably wrong, but I bet those games are at the top of the list of games that will never be re-released ever.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

SERPUS posted:

It takes a little digging, but you can pick up collections of the Gold Box games on eBay and get them running pretty easily under Dosbox. I'd definitely prefer to see them on GOG, but like Danger Mahoney said, it's not likely to happen.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or do the larger file games have a propensity of corrupting while downloading? In recent days, I've tried to download the files for Two Worlds, both manually and through the GoG downloader, no less than 5 times. Everytime I get a file corrupted message and it tells me to redownload.

Two Worlds can't be worth this much work!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
When downloading through the web browser, big files getting corrupted seems to be more the rule than the exception for me. Which is a bit of a pain in the rear end when I've downloaded something like the Lord of the Rings Online client at nearly 10GB or something. Heck, it's annoying enough with smaller files if I'm getting a lousy download speed.

Thankfully this isn't that much of an issue for games that use their own downloaders, or Steam for that matter, since they probably verify the integrity of separate pieces throughout the download.

But yeah, downloading big files straight through the browser seems to carry a significant risk of corruption, at least in my experience.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I've never had any trouble with the GOG downloader. Sometimes it crashes on the startup, but I've never had any corrupted files when downloading. Even huge ones like the later Tex Murphy games.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Danger Mahoney posted:

I can't even begin to sort out the licensing labyrinth GoG would have to navigate to release those things. I'm probably wrong, but I bet those games are at the top of the list of games that will never be re-released ever.

Looking into it, it seems that things have coalesced to the point where the IP is Atari's and Ubisoft has the code.

Unfortunately I don't see them willing to split the opportunity to make shitloads of money.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

synertia posted:

I've never had any trouble with the GOG downloader. Sometimes it crashes on the startup, but I've never had any corrupted files when downloading. Even huge ones like the later Tex Murphy games.

I used to have problems with the downloader, but after a few updates it all seems to work fine.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Looks like Raptor: Call of the Shadows is out.

I grew up with this game. It's loving amazing.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Bo-Pepper posted:

Is it just me or do the larger file games have a propensity of corrupting while downloading? In recent days, I've tried to download the files for Two Worlds, both manually and through the GoG downloader, no less than 5 times. Everytime I get a file corrupted message and it tells me to redownload.

Two Worlds can't be worth this much work!

It is, and I've never had a problem. I download everything direct in browser too, no downloader.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xarph posted:

Looking into it, it seems that things have coalesced to the point where the IP is Atari's and Ubisoft has the code.

Unfortunately I don't see them willing to split the opportunity to make shitloads of money.

Well that's not that bad! How does this sort of thing work, anyway? Does Gog have a list of games they'd like to re-release, dispatching their suit team to have a meeting with the ip holders to ask for permission? Or do the companies approach them first?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

Well that's not that bad! How does this sort of thing work, anyway? Does Gog have a list of games they'd like to re-release, dispatching their suit team to have a meeting with the ip holders to ask for permission? Or do the companies approach them first?

Depends and we don't really know. Seems that so far it's mostly been the former.

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!

Serious Michael posted:

I grew up with this game. It's loving amazing.

Holy poo poo clicking on that link brought back the memory of playing the shareware edition (I think) back in the day.

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'm 99% certain is the original, Apogee DOS-based version. Just with some weird license changing and optional HQ2X scalers or some crap.

Apparently it's not; it's the Windows version, with issues such as only being able to move at half speed when using keyboard controls and not being able to move to the right edge of the screen with mouse controls.
They should just have gotten the DOS-version and shoved it in DOSBox.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Phantasmagoria 1/2 on sale this week. They always seemed like the sort of games that would be more fun to watch someone else play than to actually play yourself, though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

hogswallower posted:

Phantasmagoria 1/2 on sale this week. They always seemed like the sort of games that would be more fun to watch someone else play than to actually play yourself, though.
Yeah, I watched a full LP of Phantasmagoria 2 and it was super entertaining, but part of that was because someone else was playing through it and knew exactly where to go and what to trigger (and was commentating along using subtitles).

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Flashduck posted:

Apparently it's not; it's the Windows version, with issues such as only being able to move at half speed when using keyboard controls and not being able to move to the right edge of the screen with mouse controls.
They should just have gotten the DOS-version and shoved it in DOSBox.

What? Is this worth the trade off for higher resolutions?

Also, yeah, don't think I could ever play Phantasmagoria, but I'd dig a LP of it. Games like that need to have a "watch me" mode where you just watch the game play itself and it does all the cool stuff.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AxeManiac posted:

Also, yeah, don't think I could ever play Phantasmagoria, but I'd dig a LP of it. Games like that need to have a "watch me" mode where you just watch the game play itself and it does all the cool stuff.

Only have the sequel :(

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Phantasmagoria2/

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

AxeManiac posted:

It should be perfectly playable using the mouse, but if you're like me and prefer the keyboard, it's not. The higher resolutions don't really mean anything since the sprites are the same size; rendering it at the highest resolution in DOSBox makes it look at least as good, though I guess the GOG version does widescreen.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

GreenNight posted:

A handful of years ago when this game was only found via means of ill-repute, I finally got to play it after enjoying the style of it a lot when my friend picked it up at release. Though we returned it the next day when the desktop password puzzle offered no clues two impatient teenagers could really notice.

Anyway, by the end of the game I hated it. At least the first one was silly, while this one's finale just made me cringe.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SERPUS posted:

These run just fine under Dosbox. You'll need to find a manual online. forget the site I used but on my previous computer I had pdfs for all the games' books.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Evil Fluffy posted:

These run just fine under Dosbox. You'll need to find a manual online. forget the site I used but on my previous computer I had pdfs for all the games' books.
Pretty sure mine came with a disc with the manuals, bought them in a collection new from a web store that had a bunch a couple years back. Had everything but, I think, Eye of the Beholder.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Hell yes! For one I didn't buy Phantasmagoria as I was waiting for a sale. 9.99$ was steep for the first one and I wanted to grab the second one once I had the first one. Grabbing both at 30% now! It's pure nostalgia. I regret selling all my old PC games and SNES back in the day to have money for something else.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Threep posted:

Pretty sure mine came with a disc with the manuals, bought them in a collection new from a web store that had a bunch a couple years back. Had everything but, I think, Eye of the Beholder.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different collector's set. The 9 old, old games, like Death Knights of Krynn? When I bought it it came with a book that had all the "start game" copy protection in it, but not the "save game" protection. The instruction book .txt files on the CD weren't word for word either apparently, and also didn't line break properly, so it was impossible to know what Word X of Line Y was. :(

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
The Oddworld games have been permanently reduced to $5.99:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Charles Martel posted:

The Oddworld games have been permanently reduced to $5.99:

Not bad, but I got those both off steam for like 2.99 total.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Total Annihilation: Commander Pack (Contains Total Annihilation, The Core Contingency and Battle Tactics) is now on GOG for $5.99.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

GreenNight posted:

A dude did a VLP of Phantasmagoria that was pretty good a couple years back, I guess it wasn't archived. A shame.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Blodskur posted:

Total Annihilation: Commander Pack (Contains Total Annihilation, The Core Contingency and Battle Tactics) is now on GOG for $5.99.

Now we're talking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's been a long while, but if I remember correctly, that game supports any resolution right out of the box. Impressive for its time.