Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

justcola posted:

Why is the best movie about bigfoot Harry and The Hendersons? Sure, there's stuff like boggy creek but there haven't really been any decent movies about bigfoot.

He's just not that compelling so he doesn't attract quality writers or directors? Any themes or origin, or something about him that preys on some base fear or anxiety would have to be wholly made up. He's basically just a bear, so if you want a good thriller or horror movie you'd end up making something similar to The Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bigfoot is so domesticated in popular mythology that it'd be like making a horror movie about Chewbacca.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was thinking of the idea of a big foot vs. swamp thing movie but then realised not many people give a poo poo about bigfoot as hes a bear gorilla, but there's still the chance for a Great bigfoot film to be made perhaps. They recycle certain ideas enough like vampires or werewolves as they play on psychological fears such as infection, madness, whichever. I like the idea of the character but there isn't much mythology I'm familiar with besides that Bigfoot has big feet.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

With the right treatment, Bigfoot could be a pretty swell monster movie. Nobody would believe the young mans stroy about how Bigfoot stole/killed his fiance. The "Jane Goodall" character wants to befriend it, ala the scientist in the original Thing From Another World and gets killed. Carboard cut-out crazy mountain man hunter who's been tracking the beast lo these many years. Sheriff who grew up in the area but doesn't buy the idea. Some kind of Shaman or Witch/Psychic character.

At the end you pull an M. Night and the Aliens show up or something ridiculous. :)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Make it a trilogy with the Loch Ness monster and unicorns.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Barometer posted:

With the right treatment, Bigfoot could be a pretty swell monster movie. Nobody would believe the young mans stroy about how Bigfoot stole/killed his fiance. The "Jane Goodall" character wants to befriend it, ala the scientist in the original Thing From Another World and gets killed. Carboard cut-out crazy mountain man hunter who's been tracking the beast lo these many years. Sheriff who grew up in the area but doesn't buy the idea. Some kind of Shaman or Witch/Psychic character.

At the end you pull an M. Night and the Aliens show up or something ridiculous. :)

Plenty of crazies think Bigfoot is alien related, it's a popular theory in conspiracy/UFO circles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FishBulb posted:

Plenty of crazies think Bigfoot is alien related, it's a popular theory in conspiracy/UFO circles.

Yea, according to the Big Book of the Unexplained (which is as much of a factual source as anything on the subject) there is a theory that bigfoot kind of creatures are slave labour of the greys.

And It just seemed to me that the stars of the biggest shows I can remember in my life time have gone on to pretty poor film careers. A little research could have answered that yes, there have been a number of people who have made the transition successfully.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

codyclarke posted:

Trying to think of some great movie performances by actors that weren't regarded as particularly good actors, or serious actors, prior to the role. Some that come to mind from recent history:

- Marlon Wayans in Requiem for a Dream
- Steve Zahn in Rescue Dawn
- Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love
- Katie Holmes in Pieces of April
- Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married
- Amy Adams in Junebug

Jamie Foxx in Redemption? I never saw it but it seems like this or Ray for him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jamie Foxx has actually been pretty good for a long while.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Just checked IMDb and it looks as if his first good serious role may have been in Ali, which was just three years before my guess.

I just remember seeing the Redemption and Ray trailers at about the same time and thinking "Where the hell did this come from?" All I really knew of him was from In Living Color.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ninja Gamer posted:

Just checked IMDb and it looks as if his first good serious role may have been in Ali, which was just three years before my guess.

I just remember seeing the Redemption and Ray trailers at about the same time and thinking "Where the hell did this come from?" All I really knew of him was from In Living Color.

Any Given Sunday, Collateral, Ray, etc. He's done a bunch of bad movies too, but come on.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, according to the Big Book of the Unexplained (which is as much of a factual source as anything on the subject) there is a theory that bigfoot kind of creatures are slave labour of the greys.

And It just seemed to me that the stars of the biggest shows I can remember in my life time have gone on to pretty poor film careers. A little research could have answered that yes, there have been a number of people who have made the transition successfully.

I am trying to connect the first paragraph in that post to the second, but I cannot, in any way shape or form.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

kapalama posted:

I am trying to connect the first paragraph in that post to the second, but I cannot, in any way shape or form.

Second paragraph was going back to my badly wordered question. I was too lazy to quote something.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

codyclarke posted:

Trying to think of some great movie performances by actors that weren't regarded as particularly good actors, or serious actors, prior to the role. Some that come to mind from recent history:

- Marlon Wayans in Requiem for a Dream
- Steve Zahn in Rescue Dawn
- Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love
- Katie Holmes in Pieces of April
- Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married
- Amy Adams in Junebug

Steve Martin in Shopgirl
Bill Murray in Lost in Translation
Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Tom Hanks in Philadelphia
Bruce Willis in Die Hard (if you had him pegged as a lightweight tv dramedy actor), Pulp Fiction (if you had him pegged as a silly action actor), or The Sixth Sense.

qntm posted:

What instances are there of a movie being made with the intention of retconning it in the sequel?

Plenty of movie sequels exist which expand upon events in the original, or add details that weren't there. I'm sure plenty of movie sequels exist which retroactively modify the original, too. But in the latter case, that modification comes about because the creators of the second movie decided to retcon the first. Has anybody ever made a movie which finishes with the audience thinking that the story has been resolved in a specific way, but the director has deliberately misled the audience so as to blow their minds in the sequel? Like for Film 1, the killer is caught and sent to jail, everybody is happy, the end. Film 2: it turns out he wasn't the killer at all and actually there are hidden details all the way Film 1 which prove this and this was the plan from the beginning of the production of Film 1.

A New Hope vs. Empire Strikes Back -- Vader killed Luke's dad vs. being Luke's dad

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 13, 2010

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Steve Martin in Shopgirl
Bill Murray in Lost in Translation
Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Tom Hanks in Philadelphia

No offense but these are all really bad choices. I don't think anyone would really consider any of these picks bad actors, except for Carrey but he had already proven himself in the Truman Show WAY before Eternal Sunshine. I think you're mixing up "known for comedy" for "known to be bad actors".

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

codyclarke posted:

Trying to think of some great movie performances by actors that weren't regarded as particularly good actors, or serious actors, prior to the role.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

axleblaze posted:

No offense but these are all really bad choices. I don't think anyone would really consider any of these picks bad actors, except for Carrey but he had already proven himself in the Truman Show WAY before Eternal Sunshine. I think you're mixing up "known for comedy" for "known to be bad actors".

Tom Hanks was known for lightweight comedies before Philadelphia. Which of his previous movies made you think "drat, that there is one fine actor?" -- The Burbs, Turner and Hooch, or Joe vs the Volcano?

Steve Martin and Bill Murray were a bit more highly regarded, but hadn't really done much to say they were a serious actor as opposed to a talented comedy actor. While in retrospect Murray seems an obvious and inevitable choice for Lost in Translation, that certainly wasn't the perspective at the time.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

regulargonzalez posted:

Tom Hanks was known for lightweight comedies before Philadelphia. Which of his previous movies made you think "drat, that there is one fine actor?" -- The Burbs, Turner and Hooch, or Joe vs the Volcano?

Steve Martin and Bill Murray were a bit more highly regarded, but hadn't really done much to say they were a serious actor as opposed to a talented comedy actor. While in retrospect Murray seems an obvious and inevitable choice for Lost in Translation, that certainly wasn't the perspective at the time.

I'd say Groundhog Day was really Bill Murray's breakthrough in that regard. if not that, then certainly Rushmore. And for Tom Hanks, Big really showcased his acting chops. The scene where he's alone in the cheap hotel room crying in particular.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

codyclarke posted:

I'd say Groundhog Day was really Bill Murray's breakthrough in that regard. if not that, then certainly Rushmore. And for Tom Hanks, Big really showcased his acting chops. The scene where he's alone in the cheap hotel room crying in particular.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I doubt many people watching Big, as great a movie as it is, thought that Hanks would go on to win multiple Academy Awards.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also one of Martin's earliest films was Pennies From Heaven, which while it was a flop, wasn't a comedy. Because it flopped I'll admit it didn't manage to alter his image much, so if that doesn't count then The Spanish Prisoner certainly should.
Though I did misread the request originally, which was my bad. Really in general even this is kind of off topic because it's not about what's earlier, so I'll just bow out now...

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Courtney Love in The People vs. Larry Flynt
Jennifer Hudson in Chicago
Jennifer Tilly in Bullets Over Broadway
Woody Harrelson in White Men Can't Jump
Janet Jackson in Poetic Justice

well she was nominated for a golden globe
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 13, 2010

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Schweinhund posted:

Courtney Love in The People vs. Larry Flynt

People where shocked that she could play a drugged up whore?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
.nm.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone said Mariah Carey or (especially) Monique in Precious yet? Because I'm still in shock over that one.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

qntm posted:

What instances are there of a movie being made with the intention of retconning it in the sequel?

Plenty of movie sequels exist which expand upon events in the original, or add details that weren't there. I'm sure plenty of movie sequels exist which retroactively modify the original, too. But in the latter case, that modification comes about because the creators of the second movie decided to retcon the first. Has anybody ever made a movie which finishes with the audience thinking that the story has been resolved in a specific way, but the director has deliberately misled the audience so as to blow their minds in the sequel? Like for Film 1, the killer is caught and sent to jail, everybody is happy, the end. Film 2: it turns out he wasn't the killer at all and actually there are hidden details all the way Film 1 which prove this and this was the plan from the beginning of the production of Film 1.
The Saw films probably do this but I can't quite remember. I wouldn't be surprised if there were clues about Hoffman a movie or two before the reveal.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

A New Hope vs. Empire Strikes Back -- Vader killed Luke's dad vs. being Luke's dad

:doh: I can't believe I didn't think of that one myself.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

codyclarke posted:

While not part of a film, Anthony Anderson's portrayal of Antwon Mitchel in The Shield was absolutely mind blowing. As someone who had spent their entire career making movies about talking kangaroos (WHERE THE KANGAROOOS DONT TALK) and slapstick sidekicks, Anderson fully immersed himself as the ruthless, intimidating gang leader. His performance stands out significantly in a series filled with highly celebrated veteran dramatic actors. His portrayal even dwarfed that of the intended "celebrity cast member" of the season, Glenn Close, establishing Anderson as the unexpected gem in a pile of gold.

regulargonzalez posted:

Doesn't count. Lucas was still makin' it up as he went along :colbert:

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 13, 2010

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

regulargonzalez posted:

That was an intentional retcon? I always thought Darth Vader "killing" Anakin Skywalker was a metaphor for how the dark side took over Anakin.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That was an intentional retcon? I always thought Darth Vader "killing" Anakin Skywalker was a metaphor for how the dark side took over Anakin.
Nah they pretty much address that with the "from a certain point of view" discussion. They knew how it sounded.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Naw. Lucas didn't originally plan it that way. It was a total Retcon, as was Leia being Luke's sister. Originally there were going to be a lot more films but Lucas was burnt out and wanted to end it. He had to tie up the "there is another" line form Empire though, so he made Leia Luke's sister. The other was originally supposed to refer to Luke's child, who would be the focus of the second trilogy and take down the Empire once and for all.
God, I don't even like Star Wars that much. Why do I know this? :psyduck:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Brad Pitt came off as an emptyheaded hunk before he did Seven and Twelve Monkeys.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction. To me, her performances usually come off as dull and lifeless, except in Pulp Fiction, in which she did surprisingly well.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Naw. Lucas didn't originally plan it that way. It was a total Retcon, as was Leia being Luke's sister. Originally there were going to be a lot more films but Lucas was burnt out and wanted to end it. He had to tie up the "there is another" line form Empire though, so he made Leia Luke's sister. The other was originally supposed to refer to Luke's child, who would be the focus of the second trilogy and take down the Empire once and for all.

While I'm sure Lucas didn't plan the Vader=father or Luke and Leia siblings things out from the first film (since he thought it would likely be the only film and it was entirely self-contained), it doesn't make sense for that line to refer to Luke's child when he didn't have a child yet and might get killed rescuing his friends. Sounds more likely Lucas just stuck that in there since by then he had to know there would be a third film and he could just make it into anything he wanted at that point.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

axleblaze posted:

It wasn't meant to be Luke's kid but a sister who hadn't been introduced yet.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

haveblue posted:

Brad Pitt came off as an emptyheaded hunk before he did Seven and Twelve Monkeys.

Even in River Runs Through It, people were saying he might have a Robert Redford - type potential. Seven and Twelve Monkeys was more over how he got over that "guys hate him because their girlfriends like him" hump.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember Casey Affleck being sort of a punchline before The Assassination Of Jesse James came out, though I'm not sure if he was considered a lovely actor, or just unknown.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I remember Casey Affleck being sort of a punchline before The Assassination Of Jesse James came out, though I'm not sure if he was considered a lovely actor, or just unknown.

Maybe not mainstream known, but I don't know anyone who considered him a lovely actor. Hell, even in To Die For he got some recognition.

What roles of his would he be considered a lovely actor, or even a punchline, from? Lonesome Jim?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Voodoofly posted:

Maybe not mainstream known, but I don't know anyone who considered him a lovely actor. Hell, even in To Die For he got some recognition.

What roles of his would he be considered a lovely actor, or even a punchline, from? Lonesome Jim?

I remember hearing people laughing about him just being Ben Affleck's brother in the Ocean's movies.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Edit: oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Schweinhund posted:

Jennifer Hudson in Chicago

She's not in that movie. Do you mean Queen Latifah?