Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Piell posted:

Don't summon things, it's not really worth it most of the time. Get all the save or suck spells like grease and glitterdust and stinking cloud and all that poo poo, it's what wins fights.

Didn't you read he doesn't care about being optimum!

*picks most optimum school*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Didn't you read he doesn't care about being optimum!

*picks most optimum school*

That's a dumb response. He explained why he picked conjuration and wizard summoning is terrible so if that's what he does it ended up being a sub-optimal choice.

edit: If it makes you happy to swing a sword around and you're OK with being sub-optimal I doubt it will totally gimp you. I wouldn't personally do it, but if you're summoning celestial eagles anyway it's probably not going to do too much harm.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 13, 2010

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Oh god, that poor fox.

Don't worry, it's probably a druid.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Vulpes posted:

Don't worry, it's probably a druid.

Actually, I think it's the witch's familiar... and essentially the source of all her spells...

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Are there any new prestige classes or anything else worth worrying about as a player in the shiny new pathfinder dmg book?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Are there any new prestige classes or anything else worth worrying about as a player in the shiny new pathfinder dmg book?

Not really. They put all that stuff in the Advanced Player's book that's coming out at GenCon.

The GMG is pretty squarely aimed solely at GMs. There's a bunch of information on running the game (i.e., handling player interests/types, structuring a campaign, describing the world, etc.) and some handy NPC templates to make things easier on GMs running their own stuff as opposed to Paizo's stuff. There's essentially no "this is stuff for players to use" in the book.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
That's a little disappointing, I was hoping for awesome new stuff, I have to level my wizard up before we play again and wanted to look at other classes.

the guy from my FLGS did make sure he preordered enough(of the PH2) for my game group though, which was pretty rad of him even though none of us asked him to. :3:

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That's a little disappointing, I was hoping for awesome new stuff, I have to level my wizard up before we play again and wanted to look at other classes.

the guy from my FLGS did make sure he preordered enough(of the PH2) for my game group though, which was pretty rad of him even though none of us asked him to. :3:

Well, you can look at the actual new classes here.

They're also going to be adding a bunch of options for the base 11 classes; see here for the very basic rundown of what's in the APG. I suspect if you check the Paizocon forum you'll find more detail about what they previewed at the banquet.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Thanks for that. Looks like I'm going to be asking my DM is I can reroll my wizard into a Summoner.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Thanks for that. Looks like I'm going to be asking my DM is I can reroll my wizard into a Summoner.

Look here too: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
While I'm a huge 4e fanboy I like a lot of what I see in Pathfinder. However I loving hate, HATE, sitting down and going through a book to roll up a character. Is there a piece of software that lets me make a character quickly and print right to the official character sheets?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Gr3y posted:

While I'm a huge 4e fanboy I like a lot of what I see in Pathfinder. However I loving hate, HATE, sitting down and going through a book to roll up a character. Is there a piece of software that lets me make a character quickly and print right to the official character sheets?

Ahahahahahaha...

Not really. There should be, but honestly Paizo's not the most technical of companies. On the one hand, no overblown technical miracle promises, on the other hand nothing comparable to DDI.

I think the closest commercial product is Hero Lab and there's PCGen (which is free, but no idea on quality).

Whether or not they actually make character creation easier, I don't know; that's probably down to how familiar you are with the process. It's not a hell of a lot different than 3.5, so if that was a pain for you (and it sounds like it was) Pathfinder's not going to be any better.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
The only thing Paizo has on the drawing board is some suite of apps for the Iphone/Ipad. Haven't heard anything about it for months... probably a long way off.

Hero Lab is tops. The UI is sensible. You can create a character in a few minutes, easy. They update it constantly, sometimes within a few days of a new book being out. Was worth the :20bux: I spent on it.

PCGen is ok if you're broke cause you spend all your money on :420: or whatever. The UI pisses me off though. One thing that's nice about it, is that it has the entire Bestiary in the data files. Hero Lab offers that for another :10bux:.

~

Oh, thought I'd mention that SORD has been updated for Pathfinder. It's basically a 36 page condensed quick reference rulebook. I don't have it yet, as it only covered the beta up till now, but I'll probably get it sometime. I don't know how useful it'd be if you're used to gaming with a laptop(you can just use the SRD), but it's probably better than looking stuff up in the rulebook.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=81817

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
So has anyone been loving around with Kingmaker lately? I've been getting the subscription, but haven't been able to figure out how to run this as a campaign. It's so open-ended that I'm having a bit of trouble seeing how to run it.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I haven't, because I've burned out on Pathfinder/D&D for a bit and am switching to run some Kerberos Club/Wild Talents stuff as a break.

I think, from reading it, however, that you're supposed to let the players go wild with exploration and city/realm building, though. There's numerous points where they say "ok, do the kingdom stuff for a year or so now". Basically, it boils down to having your players wander around their kingdom and deal with threats/events/encounters until you're ready to advance the main plot of the Path. The first chapter is a bit more traditional, since the realm isn't technically founded yet, but once you're past that the impetus for advancing things depends on your players to a large degree.

Between their actions (exploring, "city"-building, intrigue) and the plot(s) given in the books, you should be able to move forward.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

trip report:

Even playing an intentionally un-optimized summoner is hilarious.

Making six attack rolls(for the eidolon, bite(d6+4) claw(d+d6 fire+4) twice and a summoned gorilla(slam x2(d6+3) plus a melee for the character himself(d8+3)) in a round for three creatures is comical at best and tragic at worst.

I think I may spend more time standing back and buffing my group though. A little more bulls strength and giant growth would go a long ways.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
How much interest is there for a Pathfinder PBP game 'round these parts? I'd like to run some modules or an adventure path if I could get 4 players on board.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Stuntman Mike posted:

How much interest is there for a Pathfinder PBP game 'round these parts? I'd like to run some modules or an adventure path if I could get 4 players on board.

I'd be down.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Tolan posted:

I'd be down.

I'll play in something like this.

Also here is a simple pathfinder automated character sheet I wrote up in openoffice because I'm an insufferable nerd. I just started it yesterday so it's a working version, I haven't implemented BAB calculation but I think everything else i functional. When I'm done I'll actually host it somewhere but for now google will do.

edit: for the record it currently auto-calculates base saves for up to 4 classes, AC, CMB, and CMD based on size/abilities/equipment, carrying capacity based on size/strength, class skills (again for up to 4 classes) and auto-calculates total skill bonuses based on ranks/class(es). It doesn't add racial bonuses or apply feat bonuses yet, I'll definitely add in racial bonuses but I doubt I'll try to make feats auto-calculate just because there are so many of them, though I may try at some point. This is kind of just something I did when I was bored yesterday so don't expect too much.

grah fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 23, 2010

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Never done PBP before but I might be up for it.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
Sweet, I think I'll post a recruitment thread and see how it goes. :krad:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Stuntman Mike posted:

I'd definitely be down. I'll keep an eye out for the recruitment thread.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
Posted! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3330984

Looking for 4 level 1 PCs to run through the Falcon's Hollow adventures.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tactical Bonnet posted:

trip report:

Even playing an intentionally un-optimized summoner is hilarious.

Making six attack rolls(for the eidolon, bite(d6+4) claw(d+d6 fire+4) twice and a summoned gorilla(slam x2(d6+3) plus a melee for the character himself(d8+3)) in a round for three creatures is comical at best and tragic at worst.

I think I may spend more time standing back and buffing my group though. A little more bulls strength and giant growth would go a long ways.

Man I knew that poo poo was broken.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I've read most of this thread and this is what I'm thinking about Pathfinder right now:

- Casters are still da bomb
- They still haven't realized the only way to redeem martial classes is including Tome of Battle in the core
- The art is very good
- The published adventures are interesting and worth a look, no matter what system you're playing

Did I get it right?

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Cyphoderus posted:

I've read most of this thread and this is what I'm thinking about Pathfinder right now:

- Casters are still da bomb
- They still haven't realized the only way to redeem martial classes is including Tome of Battle in the core
- The art is very good
- The published adventures are interesting and worth a look, no matter what system you're playing

Did I get it right?

This doesn't seem too far off. A lot of the hybrid caster/battle classes are pretty neat too. The Advanced Player's Guide just came out and gives fighters and other martial a few more options as well (and also adds Chaotic Evil "AntiPaladins" which are super awesome).

Is it just me or did they edit the Inquisitor section poorly? The Judgment powers seem to imply that they switched to static bonuses, instead of the round-by-round bonuses from the playtest, but they still have several other class features depending on 'judgments at their max bonus' and a class power that causes a judgment to be invoked 'at its maximum bonus'. I guess they'll probably errata this at some point (or did they already? It came out pretty recently)

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I haven't gotten my APG yet, since the local store I ordered it from says it's still on backorder, but it's likely that any major screw-ups have already been brought up on the paizo.com message boards.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Trip report: Playing a summoner is retarded. At level 8 my eidolon attacks with +12(+14 without power attack) for d8+d6+18 four times in a round. It's stupid. I'm seriously considering rebuilding it into something less retarded, but I'm also tempted to see just how bad it gets.

That all said I've spent a lot of points(5 of the available 11) on things like making it fly and making it have bonus to perception checks. The big thing is I can add two attacks with just 3 points, and then for three more points I can make all my attacks hit as though the eidolon is a size category larger and also deal d6 elemental damage.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Trip report: Playing a summoner is retarded. At level 8 my eidolon attacks with +12(+14 without power attack) for d8+d6+18 four times in a round. It's stupid. I'm seriously considering rebuilding it into something less retarded, but I'm also tempted to see just how bad it gets.

That all said I've spent a lot of points(5 of the available 11) on things like making it fly and making it have bonus to perception checks. The big thing is I can add two attacks with just 3 points, and then for three more points I can make all my attacks hit as though the eidolon is a size category larger and also deal d6 elemental damage.

Genuinely asking, not trying to troll at all here, with the fighter changes, and with appropriate magic items is your eidolon better than an 8th level fighter? the PF SRD is giving me 2 attacks per round at +13 (with a 20 str), but I could be doing my math wrong.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Trip report: Playing a summoner...

I'm curious, how did you spend the evolution points?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Base form Biped. (arms, claws, legs. base strength 16)
Flight: 5 points to make it magical flight with perfect maneuverability at a fly speed of 50
add a second set of arms: 2 points
Second set of claws: one point
Energy attacks: 2 points. (every natural attack deals d6 lightning/fire/acid/cold
improved damage: 1 point (pick a type of natural attack, increase it's damage die by 1 step)
Skilled: 1 point for +8 racial bonus to perception.

edit: the eidolon and the summoner share magic item slots, that is, between us we can only wear magic items that a single character could wear, that said, I'm pretty sure if I wanted to I could make the eidolon way more horrible(ex: I could make it large all the time instead of having to burn a spell), so I'm pretty sure in a 1-on-1 fight the fighter would lose, but it could go either way since my eidolon, at least, has rather low hp, because I suck at rolling hp.

that said he's been hit all of once since I made the character, because as soon as his initiative comes up he turns into a giant fiery blender.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 12, 2010

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Base form Biped. (arms, claws, legs. base strength 16)
Flight: 5 points to make it magical flight with perfect maneuverability at a fly speed of 50
add a second set of arms: 2 points
Second set of claws: one point
Energy attacks: 2 points. (every natural attack deals d6 lightning/fire/acid/cold
improved damage: 1 point (pick a type of natural attack, increase it's damage die by 1 step)
Skilled: 1 point for +8 racial bonus to perception.

I see. Are you using some earlier version of rules for the class? Because going by the final version I come up with different numbers. According to the new book that eidolon would get the maximum allowed four claw attacks at a +10, assuming you took the Weapon Focus feat, and each hit would deal 1d6+d6+3 slashing damage. Then again maybe there's something I'm missing. It's still a good warrior though.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

edit: the eidolon and the summoner share magic item slots, that is, between us we can only wear magic items that a single character could wear, that said, I'm pretty sure if I wanted to I could make the eidolon way more horrible(ex: I could make it large all the time instead of having to burn a spell), so I'm pretty sure in a 1-on-1 fight the fighter would lose, but it could go either way since my eidolon, at least, has rather low hp, because I suck at rolling hp.

Increasing its size to Large, or Huge will have it's own problems, since it can't change size at will. The bonuses are really nice, but having to summon that huge lump of flesh into close quarters will be impossible. Its weight could pose an issue as well, even if it can fly. As to comparing it to an equal level fighter, well the eidolon can never get those nifty fighter feats, for one thing. Also, although the eidolon gets natural armor and can wear things like amulets and rings, it can't wear armor of any kind. Getting it trained to use regular weapons would take an additional investment in evolution points as well. Just a few things to think about.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

quote:

Getting it trained to use regular weapons would take an additional investment in evolution points as well. Just a few things to think about.

If it is actually legally doing d8+d6+18 per, regular weapons would be a total waste. Flying and large size are also awful nice. I wonder if the extra health from size increases (thats still in right?) Would outweigh the AC loss?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Red_Mage posted:

If it is actually legally doing d8+d6+18 per, regular weapons would be a total waste. Flying and large size are also awful nice. I wonder if the extra health from size increases (thats still in right?) Would outweigh the AC loss?

I don't think there's any legal way to get the damage that high at level 8.

Natural weapons have the downside that you have to physically touch the enemy, which in some cases is an incredibly bad idea, even for an eidolon.

Also, I just checked the book again and I think that the second pair of claws would get a -5 penalty to attacks (lowered to -2 at 9th level by Multiattack). Not sure about that one, since it's worded kinda strange and I'm too tired to decrypt the meaning (english isn't my native language).

Anyway. You were asking about the stats, so here they be.

A Large eidolon would get +8 Str, +4 Con, -2 Dex, +2 Natural Armor, -1 Armor Class, -1 attack rolls, +1 CMB, +1 CMD, -2 Fly checks, -4 Stealth checks. A biped eidolon would also get 10ft reach. A summoner could get this evolution for his eidolon at level 8 for 4 evolution points. Any evolutions that affect reach would still be in place, but the natural attack damage dice would not go up with the size. So a d6 would not become d8. Damage has to be evolved separately.

If you look at the stats of that eidolon and compare it to some of the CR 8 monsters in the Bestiary, it's pretty clear that if you want the eidolon to survive, you can't just focus on damage dealing. Luckily D&D has always been a group oriented game, so someone else's character could step into the front line and lend a hand.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

The AC loss is negated by the +2 natural armor bonus from becoming large.

Also, the "math up there" is a bit off, not due to miscalculations, rather misstatements. Full combat force is attained by using Evolution Surge(+4 evolution points for 1 minute/level) to make him large. That's where d8+d6+whatever comes into effect.

It's something I usually try to save for boss fights. The rest of the time the eidolon is medium sized. Also the total for his damage normally is d6+d6+5 because at level 5 I get to add +1 to a stat and at level 8 he has +3 to strength and dex.

Actual hard numbers when large:

+6 BAB

Large w/ improved damage deals d8 claws, plus d6 fire for energy attacks. Add strength bonus of of +9, also power attack for a total of +12 to hit and a total of +13 damage.

The extra attacks, being primary attacks, are executed at full bonus, on the assumption that the rules for eidolons are the same as for animals with multiple natural attacks.

Multiattack posted:

An eidolon gains Multiattack as a bonus feat if it has 3 or more natural attacks and does not already have that feat. If it does not have the requisite 3 or more natural attacks (or it is reduced to less than 3 attacks), the eidolon instead gains a second attack with one of its natural weapons, albeit at a –5 penalty. If the eidolon later gains 3 or more natural attacks, it loses this additional attack and instead gains Multiattack.

The claws are listed as primary attacks. At level 9 He's getting a breath weapon.

Pathfinder SRD posted:

Multiattack (Combat)

This creature is particularly skilled at making attacks with its natural weapons.

Prerequisite: Three or more natural attacks.

Benefit: The creature's secondary attacks with natural weapons take only a –2 penalty.

Normal: Without this feat, the creature's secondary attacks with natural weapons take a –5 penalty.

Eidolon Evolutions posted:

Each eidolon receives a number of evolution points that can be spent to give the eidolon new abilities, powers, and other upgrades. These abilities, called evolutions, can be changed whenever the summoner gains a new level, but they are otherwise set. Some evolutions require that the eidolon have a specific base form or the summoner be of a specific level before they can be chosen. A number of evolutions grant the eidolon additional natural attacks. Natural attacks listed as primary are made using the eidolon’s full base attack bonus and add the eidolon’s Strength modifier to damage rolls. Natural attacks listed as secondary are made using the eidolon’s base attack bonus – 5 and add 1/2 the eidolon’s Strength modifier on damage rolls (if positive). If the eidolon only has a single natural attack, the attack is made using its full base attack bonus and it adds 1-1/2 times its Strength modifier on damage rolls made with that attack, regardless of the attack’s type.

The math is all legit, it's why I feel kind of bad for how absurd it all turns out.

edit: here's the SRD summoner page: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/summoner-final-playtest-version

Near as I can tell it's been updated to match the book.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 13, 2010

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Playing a Level 3 Ranger, running through the Rise of the Runelords campaign right now. What do you think about the spells Gravity Bow and Lead Blades from the APG? They are Ranger 1 spells which increase the damage dealt by your projectiles/melee weapons, respectively, as if they were one size category larger (i.e. 1d8 arrow instead is a 2d6 arrow, 2d4 falchion is instead a 2d6 falchion, etc.) for 1 min/level. I want to take on of them (most likely Gravity Bow) as my single Level 1 spell once we reach Level 4, but my DM believes they are too broken. Do you agree?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I don't think they're ridiculously broken. They certainly keep non-magical weapons on par for another level or two, particularly ranged. I can see the possibility for abuse, however, particular when you start getting into mighty ranged weapons and magical arrows and weapons.

If he's dead-set against them try suggesting that the duration be dropped from 1 min/level to 1 round/level or to "next <level, level/2> attacks". That way they're still useful but you've got to be a bit more judicious when you cast it and you're not going to be steamrolling through whole encounter areas with lead arrows.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Eh... it seems to me at a rough glance that that's at best on par with a raging barbarian. Probably less, since the barbarian gets more to-hit bonus from his strength increase. Add in that you have to spend an action to cast your spell, and you have a flavorful buff that's probably not gamebreakingly powerful. It's going to increase your average damage by... what? 2.5 per attack at best? That's worth less than +2 attack and +2 damage. Of course, the barbarian has a more limited duration and exhaustion... which could come up if the fights run to a lot of turns.

That's the closest comparison I can see at a glance, and it doesn't seem too bad to me.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

The idea that these spells are overpowered is laughable and the situation sounds like a classic example of someone with little understanding of a system getting worked up about something because they don't understand what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
The only way I see that spell appearing 'overpowered' is if you only look at the maximum possible bonus it gives. If you do that and see that it's increasing your max arrow damage from 8 to 12, it seems really overpowered for a level 1 spell. Most level 2 spells are only going to add 2 to the damage of a weapon.

The problem with looking at it this way though is that this is really stupid. It's like calling inflict light wounds overpowered because "It does 9 damage as a touch attack at level 1!". The spells seem fine and for a level a 4 ranger, not anywhere near game breaking.