Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Congrats man I jacked my back up so I will be taking flexeril and Percocet in your honor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Wow people already interviewing. Bidding here just opened today, got my first practice run in a couple hours.

On that note about bidding: I'm a bit miffed as to how to proceed. Most people here will bid on San Fran and LA firms. I want Seattle, San Diego and NY firms the most. Do I bid the Seattle/SD/NY places high to ensure I get what I really want, or bid the SF/LA places high so I don't lose in the lottery?

E: JOB GET Hookars, good poo poo congrats.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Congrats! Is it back in St. Louis or over where you are?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

HooKars posted:

Soooo... I got an offer at one of the firms I interviewed at last month!

Everyone have a drink for me. Only took one and a half years.
Congrats!

Between HooKars becoming employed and someone else in the thread being on the cusp of not dying alone, I'm concerned that the thread's motto may be in danger of becoming obsolete.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HooKars posted:

Great news! Which one was it -- you interviewed in St. Louis and Philly, right?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

quepasa18 posted:

Great news! Which one was it -- you interviewed in St. Louis and Philly, right?

Philly, which means another bar exam. And the latest start date is August 31st so I have to move quickly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

That's only if your GPA is lower than what they want, right?

Right, they can't do it otherwise because Columbia doesn't let them ask for a transcript ahead of time.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

HooKars posted:

Philly, which means another bar exam. And the latest start date is August 31st so I have to move quickly.
Nice. Did you hear about it through the grapevine? I'm looking for work in Philly and I really don't know how to find stuff there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

10-8 posted:

Between HooKars becoming employed and someone else in the thread being on the cusp of not dying alone, I'm concerned that the thread's motto may be in danger of becoming obsolete.

Next thing you know I'll find a job

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Haven't poked my head in here for a while.

Summer clerkships are coming to an end (or have already ended) around here, is anyone getting any job offers?

I'm waiting for an interview with last summer's firm, but got offered from the (much smaller) firm I worked with this summer.

Is it normal to be offered a position and given the rundown of benefits, but be told the salary info will have to be decided by the partners?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

On that note about bidding: I'm a bit miffed as to how to proceed. Most people here will bid on San Fran and LA firms. I want Seattle, San Diego and NY firms the most. Do I bid the Seattle/SD/NY places high to ensure I get what I really want, or bid the SF/LA places high so I don't lose in the lottery?

E: JOB GET Hookars, good poo poo congrats.

stay out of sf/la so i have a better shot :ssh:

Seconding congrats to HooKars, but I would like to defer the drink to immediately after OCIs

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Congrats on the Philly job. Is it just the practice area isn't what you want to do?

Seconding "like" option for posts.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

HooKars posted:

Congrats on that!

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HooKars posted:

Congratulations!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

Let's not get crazy here man...

HooKars posted:

I'm already dreading this job, but it's a job, and it pays. It doesn't mean I can't keep applying for admin and other similar jobs. Maybe if I'm employed they'll actually take my "I want a career change" seriously.

Well in any case, I am stoked for you and I hope things work out.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

HooKars posted:

Godspeed, sir!

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

Daico posted:

Godspeed, sir!

ma'am.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

10-8 posted:

Congrats!

Well, we are heading into a double dip recession now, so there's that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
From people's experiences, if you make a careless error in your cover letter for clerkship will that ever make a decisive difference? I ask because I'm batch sending off shitloads of them for summer clerkships and I've already noticed a couple of errors that crept into my cover letters. E.g. I put "Allens" instead of "Allen" in Allen & Overy (there is a firm here that IS Allens, and google misled me by filling in "Allens and Overy", yes, I know I'm dumb for not checking it more thoroughly).

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Torpor posted:

Well, we are heading into a double dip recession now, so there's that.

Doesn't really look like it. Economic forecast is rough and I'd be surprised if we saw anything too favorable in job growth but we have been slowly but steadily getting better for a while now (although this week was a bit nasty).

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Next major IRS TCO hiring is early next year.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

HooKars posted:

Wow, one and a half years is pretty tough, but grats on the job!

Might I ask what area of law it's in?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Readman posted:

Might I ask what area of law it's in?

Business and Finance. Though its a ridiculously obscure subsection of that which kind of sucks. I'm also non-partnership track with the same billable hours as partnership track, but at least they're calling me an associate vs. staff attorney so it won't hurt the resume.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Well whatever; Congratulations! I'm very happy that you're employed now.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

Former Everything posted:

Haven't poked my head in here for a while.

Summer clerkships are coming to an end (or have already ended) around here, is anyone getting any job offers?

I'm waiting for an interview with last summer's firm, but got offered from the (much smaller) firm I worked with this summer.

Is it normal to be offered a position and given the rundown of benefits, but be told the salary info will have to be decided by the partners?

I got an offer at the end of my clerkship, but they didn't really give me any details except that it'd be a full time first year associate position "no later than January 2012." No breakdown of benefits, salary, hours or even confirming if I'd get my choice of practice group (bankruptcy).

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Please let me know if any of you have ever seen an appellate brief this awful.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35752919/BARNETT-v-OBAMA-9th-CIRCUIT-APPEAL-Appellants-Opening-Brief-No-Attachments-Transport-Room

Yes, Orly wrote this in a legal brief that she submitted to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals:

quote:

Shortly after Judge Carter completely changed his tune, Taitz came to the court house, brought some pleadings and heard the Marine march playing. Judge Carter, a former Marine was celebrating the Marine Corps day. There was a huge teddy bear sitting in the midst of the hallway, it had a shirt with the Marine insignia, the band was playing, clerk Sidharth Velamoor was there, all the other clerks and employees were there. Everyone was waiting for Judge Carter and the cake. Taitz started choking and trying to gather some strength to hold back tears. The only ones, who were missing, were Marines. The same Marines, whom Carter named cowards for standing up for the Constitution of this country, Marines, who sacrificed their carriers, earnings, who risked retaliation were called cowards.

Taitz turned around and left, and the Marine March kept playing on and on, on and on… "

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

qwertyman posted:

Please let me know if any of you have ever seen an appellate brief this awful.

Yes, it was a pro se brief from a schizophrenic who was very unhappy that he was found incompetent to stand trial.

May I suggest to the 9th Circuit:

Order Denying Motion For Incomprehensibility

Page 2,The Billy Madison footnote

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Neurosis posted:

From people's experiences, if you make a careless error in your cover letter for clerkship will that ever make a decisive difference? I ask because I'm batch sending off shitloads of them for summer clerkships and I've already noticed a couple of errors that crept into my cover letters. E.g. I put "Allens" instead of "Allen" in Allen & Overy (there is a firm here that IS Allens, and google misled me by filling in "Allens and Overy", yes, I know I'm dumb for not checking it more thoroughly).

I can't believe anyone actually asks this question, and would even consider sending out resumes with spelling errors. Yes, it will make a difference. There are tons of people applying for jobs, which means employers are looking for reasons to narrow down the applicants. Spelling errors look like you don't care and don't pay attention to detail.

My uncle used to review resumes where he worked, and he once told me that a spelling error in a cover letter or resume meant it automatically went in the trash.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

joat mon posted:

Yes, it was a pro se brief from a schizophrenic who was very unhappy that he was found incompetent to stand trial.

May I suggest to the 9th Circuit:

Order Denying Motion For Incomprehensibility

Page 2,The Billy Madison footnote

Is it really pro se if she's technically a lawyer? I mean she did pass the oh so hard california bar.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

JudicialRestraints posted:

Is it really pro se if she's technically a lawyer? I mean she did pass the oh so hard california bar.

Why not? She's still representing herself.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

HooKars posted:

Business and Finance. Though its a ridiculously obscure subsection of that which kind of sucks. I'm also non-partnership track with the same billable hours as partnership track, but at least they're calling me an associate vs. staff attorney so it won't hurt the resume.

So... you're an associate with no chance of making partner?

And they told you that upfront rather than being like "SURPRISE!" down the road?

Seems like they were being especially above-board on that one.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neurosis posted:

I always notice typos and I do judge people for them. All else being equal, I am more likely to pay attention to the typo-free person.

I once had an attorney tell me that there was a typo in my cover letter, so I busted out a copy and asked them where it was. We had a twenty minute cordial discussion about various grammar / punctuation rules.

(There wasn't a typo. :smug:)

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Mookie posted:

So... you're an associate with no chance of making partner?

And they told you that upfront rather than being like "SURPRISE!" down the road?

Seems like they were being especially above-board on that one.

Don't most firms do this as an excuse to pay you lower wages?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Why would firms even pre-determine whether a lawyer might be a partner one day, before the lawyer has actually done anything to show his worth (or lack of it)?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I passed the California bar. Just need some luck.

Lykourgos posted:

Why would firms even pre-determine whether a lawyer might be a partner one day, before the lawyer has actually done anything to show his worth (or lack of it)?
95% of civil firms are irrationally evil.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Don't most firms do this as an excuse to pay you lower wages?

Yep. Same hours, lower pay, and they bill me out at normal associate rates.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

HooKars posted:

Yep. Same hours, lower pay, and they bill me out at normal associate rates.

Well, congratulations are still in order!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

entris posted:

I always notice typos and I do judge people for them. All else being equal, I am more likely to pay attention to the typo-free person.

I once had an attorney tell me that there was a typo in my cover letter, so I busted out a copy and asked them where it was. We had a twenty minute cordial discussion about various grammar / punctuation rules.

(There wasn't a typo. :smug:)
Was it an Oxford comma?

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

quepasa18 posted:

I can't believe anyone actually asks this question, and would even consider sending out resumes with spelling errors. Yes, it will make a difference. There are tons of people applying for jobs, which means employers are looking for reasons to narrow down the applicants. Spelling errors look like you don't care and don't pay attention to detail.

My uncle used to review resumes where he worked, and he once told me that a spelling error in a cover letter or resume meant it automatically went in the trash.

I've gotten resumes with strikethroughs and highlights obviously made by people reviewing the resume. Some people are just incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

quepasa18 posted:

When you are sending out 25+ applications, in a two week period, with assignments due at the same time, and you have to enter separate grades and type separate cover letters, errors sometimes creep in. Hth as to how people would ever consider sending them out. I was more interested as to whether extremely simple errors would result in an immediate rejection when your application is otherwise of a high quality, which seems to be the case.

Yeah, I thought it would matter; though my errors tend to be more along the lines of a grade entered incorrectly in a non-law subject (out of the 42 I have to enter at every firm) rather than grammatical or spelling errors. And no, nothing is of the level of incompetence as sending out an application with strikeouts, retarded grammar, or addressing the wrong firm.

I was just curious as to whether people thought it wouldn't kill an otherwise decent application, or whether it would knock a good app down to the 'disregard' pile, the latter being true.

Oh well, three errors out of twenty-five applications. There's always next winter. :(

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 13, 2010