Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
The 5D is another 1,000. I know people say "Buy used" but I'd rather have a new 7D than a used 5D, especially since my 1.4 supposedly won't work on a full frame and it's my favorite lens. I'm thinking get the 7D and build my lens collection, when I'm happy with that I'll go full bore for the current flag-ship at the time (assuming business is worth-while). As much as I'd love a full-frame, concert shooting is not really a money-maker for me, so low-light isn't a big issue. Granted it would help me get to like f/9 for some sharp sex, I just don't see it being worth-while given my current financial/business situation.

As for SS stuff, like I said I'm piled under a mess of photos, for some reason in my business I get like 5 shoots in a week-end then nothing for 2 weeks. So I take what I can get when I can then lock myself in photo-shop and dig through the mess. I should be out of this mess by friday, and I'll send in a set and show you guys what I'm thinking as far as stuff goes.

Also, according to my Inbox I'm 100% caught up on emails. Check and make sure you got it right: BSemisch (at) Gmail.com

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AtomicManiac posted:

The 5D is another 1,000. I know people say "Buy used" but I'd rather have a new 7D than a used 5D, especially since my 1.4 supposedly won't work on a full frame and it's my favorite lens. I'm thinking get the 7D and build my lens collection, when I'm happy with that I'll go full bore for the current flag-ship at the time (assuming business is worth-while). As much as I'd love a full-frame, concert shooting is not really a money-maker for me, so low-light isn't a big issue. Granted it would help me get to like f/9 for some sharp sex, I just don't see it being worth-while given my current financial/business situation.

As for SS stuff, like I said I'm piled under a mess of photos, for some reason in my business I get like 5 shoots in a week-end then nothing for 2 weeks. So I take what I can get when I can then lock myself in photo-shop and dig through the mess. I should be out of this mess by friday, and I'll send in a set and show you guys what I'm thinking as far as stuff goes.

Also, according to my Inbox I'm 100% caught up on emails. Check and make sure you got it right: BSemisch (at) Gmail.com

Atomic, can you check with the issue on contributers not being able to upload photos or add categories? I'm trying to add photos to my writeup but couldn't the last time I tried.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I just used my web site as the image host.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

I just used my web site as the image host.

Yeah, I might as well too. I just wanted to add captions and stuff.
*edit* nevermind, figured out how to do it

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 11, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

pr0digal posted:

Yeah, I might as well too. I just wanted to add captions and stuff.

You can. Click on the "add URL" tab when you add an image.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

You can. Click on the "add URL" tab when you add an image.

I forgot how wordpress handled images for a few minutes. Added pictures and submitted for review!

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

pr0digal posted:

Atomic, can you check with the issue on contributers not being able to upload photos or add categories? I'm trying to add photos to my writeup but couldn't the last time I tried.

Let me know what categories you need and I'll add them if I can't figure it out. I'm thinking something like:

*Major Cities (Dallas, New York, Chicago, Minnesota, Sydney, etc)
*Countries (USA, Canada, Australia, England)
*Regions (Midwest, South, New England, British Columbia (IDK how Europe lists these if they do at all).

Then pick the best 2 or 3 areas, so Omaha probably isn't making the cut as a "Major City" so I'd just pick USA and Midwest.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

AtomicManiac posted:

It won't let me post anything. I've tried logging in.
I've emailed you again. from mattt (a) matttphoto.com

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'll try my hand at editing as well, if you want. Try and bring a small amount of semblance to album titles, song names, band names, headers etc.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Four Banger posted:

It won't let me post anything. I've tried logging in.
I've emailed you again. from mattt (a) matttphoto.com

Weird, your emails were hitting my spam filter (and I can't check that from my phone)

I've got both you and I, Butthole set up now so you shouldn't have any problems, feel free to email if you do though.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Cheers dude.

Here's some draft rules I've been thinking of

500x333pix for pictures, centered? Watermarked, but we need a decent SS watermark. I'm trying to learn Illustrator so I'll give it a go tonight.
Band names: Bold.
Song/Album names: Italic.

Also, anyway we can make the homepage a preview of the articles (photo and opening paragraph) rather than just a huge dump?

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 11, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

Cheers dude.

Here's some draft rules I've been thinking of

500x333pix for pictures, centered? Watermarked, but we need a decent SS watermark. I'm trying to learn Illustrator so I'll give it a go tonight.
Band names: Bold.
Song/Album names: Italic.

Also, anyway we can make the homepage a preview of the articles (photo and opening paragraph) rather than just a huge dump?

Fixed that. Also make sure you've got your pics set at 72ppi so you don't eat up space. Wordpress gives us 3gigs which I'm sure we're just gonna chew through.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

AtomicManiac posted:

especially since my 1.4 supposedly won't work on a full frame and it's my favorite lens.

Why wouldn't it work?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Eeek posted:

Why wouldn't it work?

I have a Sigma 1.4 and it works fine on my roommates 5D. There's just some vignetting all the time, but it's not that bad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eeek posted:

Why wouldn't it work?
It's designed for crop sensors. It'll mount and shoot on an EF camera, but it vignettes like crazy.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

evil_bunnY posted:

It's designed for crop sensors. It'll mount and shoot on an EF camera, but it vignettes like crazy.

Which 1.4 is this again? Surely not the Canon 50 1.4

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
The Sigma 30mm 1.4 definitely works, and definitely vignettes like whoa

Lightning Bolt @ Trees-20100711-11 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Which 1.4 is this again? Surely not the Canon 50 1.4

The Sigma 1.4 and I might be able to live with Vignettes, It just said somewhere that it wasn't designed for full-frame cameras and I thought it might completely not work. Even still, another thousand dollars isn't nothing to snuff at, maybe if I get a lot of senior portrait bookings I can afford it, otherwise I'll probably wait and see how well the next year goes for me with a 7D. Besides I'd rather wait another year and have a 7D backup, 5D main than a Rebel Backup and 5D Main. I think with the former I could run a two camera set-up a lot better.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
just a comment about the Ishi post, that last picture is captioned "Rob Bastien wails away on guitar"
...And he's clearly tunning it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Four Banger posted:

just a comment about the Ishi post, that last picture is captioned "Rob Bastien wails away on guitar"
...And he's clearly tunning it.

I was just going to say that. Personally, I never post a photo of someone tuning a guitar anyway. Even if you nail the exposure and the lighting is great, it's still a guy tuning a guitar and shouldn't be in your top photos.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

rockcity posted:

I was just going to say that. Personally, I never post a photo of someone tuning a guitar anyway. Even if you nail the exposure and the lighting is great, it's still a guy tuning a guitar and shouldn't be in your top photos.

I'm not sure how many of you are musicians, but there is a (very slight) chance he was tuning the guitar for an effect, I've seen it done before, though it's easier with a Whammy or something similar. Though it's not likely...

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Oh snap, he is tuning it. I actually took the exact same shot later in the night and thought it was that one. I'll fix it. Any other comments/critiques on my post? They're welcome, it's my first "review/writeup" I've ever done.

edit: by "took the exact same shot later" I meant have 5 blurry unuseable pictures of the same thing.

double edit: I removed the captions, no one else is using them. And replaced the tuning guitar with the female singer.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 12, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Anti_Social posted:

I blew through 48 gigs of CF cards. :(

I shot a lot?
Ok well see you in 2015 when you've finished sorting + editing them. :suicide:

evil_bunnY posted:

This is easily fixed: Compose to crop later.

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 12, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Out of curiosity, does this mean my Sigma 30mm is a "True" 30mm lens, or is it still subject to a crop factor so it's really like shooting with a ~45mm lens?

pwn
May 27, 2004

It's really like shooting a 30mm lens. It is designed to be cropped, and when cropped, the field of view is about that of a 50mm lens. The focal length is 30mm, however you decide to crop or not crop the image circle it projects doesn't change the optics.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Editorial

Articles should be formatted like so:

Headlining Artist @ Venue
City, State Date

*Band names, including support acts and headline acts should be mentioned in bold in article body. If there are recommendations for 'sounds like', do NOT bold those band names.
*Song names are in "quotations" and italics.
*Album names are in "quotations".
*Links to iTunes and MySpaces should be embedded into the text as a hyperlink, rather than "and here it is on iTunes! (https://www.hnaosiufhaisudhsakjfsda.com/.guiahsiudfhas/guihasud/23/243h/buyNOW.html.xml.org)
*Embedded images should be: .jpg, 500x333
I've got a friend working on a watermark (turns out I'm useless at Illustrator, go figure) and hopefully a banner as well, just to unify it. I'll host the .psd and it will be for images sized for 1500x1000; from there you can add it to the image, and resize to 500x333.

Any suggestions, let me know. We need a mailing list soon I think.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

Editorial

City, State Date

*Band names, including support acts and headline acts should be mentioned in bold in article body. If there are recommendations for 'sounds like', do NOT bold those band names.
*Links to iTunes and MySpaces should be embedded into the text as a hyperlink, rather than "and here it is on iTunes! (https://www.hnaosiufhaisudhsakjfsda.com/.guiahsiudfhas/guihasud/23/243h/buyNOW.html.xml.org)
I've got a friend working on a watermark (turns out I'm useless at Illustrator, go figure) and hopefully a banner as well, just to unify it. I'll host the .psd and it will be for images sized for 1500x1000; from there you can add it to the image, and resize to 500x333.

I agree with this format.

I have everyone's email, I'll put together something.

Edit:
Okay, help me fill in some blanks guys:

If your name is Nate and you're our Hosting Sugar Daddy, I don't actually have you as a contributor on the site. Also I don't know your SA name or location.

Didi-Mau, are you still having trouble or did you get it figured out? You're not listed on the wordpress roster. Also I don't have your location.

If your name is Mitch, I don't have your location or SA name.

Pr0digal, Ric, HPL, PWN, I don't have your locations.

Again if you want to keep any of that private, feel free to drop an email- BSemisch(at)gmail.com

Other Important Notes:
I, Butthole, Dunkman and This "Mitch" guy as well as myself are the editors, I think we're good for now on Editors. Whenever Nate signs up he'll be an Administrator along with me, so you can bug either of us about making major changes.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 12, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Are there any thoughts about loading a theme on there? I have access to ones from Graph Paper Press and they make some pretty nice themes.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Region is The Midwest. Location is Eau Claire, WI and surrounding areas.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

I, Butthole posted:

Editorial

City, State Date

I'll edit my post to reflect these formatting rules. Also my region is the Northeast with location in Boston, MA and surrounding areas (I actually live about a half hour away but Boston is the closest city)

*edit* Well I can't edit it but I'll keep those in mind for my next submission

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 12, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm not a big fan of iTunes links because they're country dependent. Linking to the band's web site or myspace should be good enough.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I think this picture does a pretty good job of summing up just how intense the show I shot yesterday was. The stage was tiny and the venue was tiny and the crowd loved every second of it. Band is A Loss for Words.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4885519644

I also apologize for the man boobs in front which I just noticed

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 12, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahaha that looks amazing

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pfft you did a good job blowing out his shir:fuckoff:

But seriously, that's a great capture of your archetypal basement mosh pit. That shirtless dude right in front of the singer is great.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

pwn posted:

Pfft you did a good job blowing out his shir:fuckoff:

But seriously, that's a great capture of your archetypal basement mosh pit. That shirtless dude right in front of the singer is great.

Aside from one band that's how the crowd was all night. Not pictured here: the stage diving and the rushing of the stage by about 20-30 kids (which happened at least three or four times that night)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pr0digal posted:

Aside from one band that's how the crowd was all night. Not pictured here: the stage diving and the rushing of the stage by about 20-30 kids (which happened at least three or four times that night)
And people wonder why I'd rather shoot basement shows than from a photo pit.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

evil_bunnY posted:

And people wonder why I'd rather shoot basement shows than from a photo pit.

Here is a rather perfect example of stage rushing (plus some piling up) during Title Fight. You can see the rather overpowered guitarist on the right

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4885930690/

Probably one of the best shows I've been to this summer. Even if my lens was fogging up like crazy

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 12, 2010

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

pr0digal posted:

I also apologize for the man boobs in front which I just noticed

thems are some great titties

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So far I'm digging the blog, the only major things I can think of for improving right away are finding a catchier look for the blog so it doesn't look so generic (though I understand that in itself will take a while to develop) and I think we should find a common voice for the reviews. Some of the reviews are first person and some are third person.

Also, I think we should sign our posts with our real names or something as opposed to our Wordpress user names so it's more clear that these are posts by different people as opposed to being this incredible superhuman who can be in a million places at once taking photos and writing in different styles.

If there were some way to have more of a clearer break between posts like a horizontal rule or something like that, it might help break up the posts as opposed to it all looking like a big stream of text and photos.

What I really like is that in the first four posts alone, it's four totally different cities with four different styles of bands, which is very cool.

And don't forget to put keywords in your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

So far I'm digging the blog, the only major things I can think of for improving right away are finding a catchier look for the blog so it doesn't look so generic (though I understand that in itself will take a while to develop) and I think we should find a common voice for the reviews. Some of the reviews are first person and some are third person.

Also, I think we should sign our posts with our real names or something as opposed to our Wordpress user names so it's more clear that these are posts by different people as opposed to being this incredible superhuman who can be in a million places at once taking photos and writing in different styles.

If there were some way to have more of a clearer break between posts like a horizontal rule or something like that, it might help break up the posts as opposed to it all looking like a big stream of text and photos.

What I really like is that in the first four posts alone, it's four totally different cities with four different styles of bands, which is very cool.

And don't forget to put keywords in your posts.

Wordpress allows themes to be added in a matter of minutes that would make it look a lot better. There are plenty of free ones out there and I have access to the pay ones at Graph Paper Press as well if we want to use them.

Also, whoever bought the name needs to forward the domain to the .wordpress file name because the domain itself is just some generic wordpress welcome page. Didn't someone else also mention they could host it on their webspace so we don't need the .wordpress anyway?