Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooboo
Oct 6, 2003

If I get involuntarily discharged under Honorable conditions will TMO ship my belongings back home? I think more specifically, I'm worried about the possibility of having to buy my family's plane tickets back home (I'm in Alaska - HOR is Texas) since I got married up here. They're command sponsored since then though and considered my dependents. They won't screw me over here, will they?

What about if it's a General discharge what then :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Pooboo posted:

If I get involuntarily discharged under Honorable conditions will TMO ship my belongings back home? I think more specifically, I'm worried about the possibility of having to buy my family's plane tickets back home (I'm in Alaska - HOR is Texas) since I got married up here. They're command sponsored since then though and considered my dependents. They won't screw me over here, will they?

What about if it's a General discharge what then :ohdear:

General IS "under honorable conditions" though?

I mean you got
Honorable
General (under honorable conditions)
Under Other Than Honorable Conditions
BCD
DD

Right? Or am I misunderstanding/forgetting something?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
JAG Officer/Legal question:
Is it common for a military installation to charge persons aboard said installation with (Driving only maybe?)violations of the host state? I know that it goes to a USDC, but who prosecutes the case?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

maker posted:

How hard is it to qualify to be a corpsman in the navy? (right out of highschool)

Being a hospital corpsman requires absolutely no qualifications.

edit: I don't think you can get a drug waiver and be an HM.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Veins McGee posted:

JAG Officer/Legal question:
Is it common for a military installation to charge persons aboard said installation with (Driving only maybe?)violations of the host state? I know that it goes to a USDC, but who prosecutes the case?

It is common for civilian DOD police to charge individuals under the Assimilative Crimes Act. Basically the ACA makes anything that is a state law offense a federal offense if there is no specific federal statute addressing the issue. The tickets are prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office.

vains
May 26, 2004

JohnnyHildo posted:

It is common for civilian DOD police to charge individuals under the Assimilative Crimes Act. Basically the ACA makes anything that is a state law offense a federal offense if there is no specific federal statute addressing the issue. The tickets are prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office.

So, the key word here is civilian DOD police? What entity receives any money if a person is fined? Who is responsible for jailing?

vains fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 13, 2010

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Veins McGee posted:

So, the key word here is civilian DOD police? What entity receives any money if a person is fined? Who is responsible for jailing?

I could be wrong, but I though nearly every base is patrolled by civilian DOD component police now, with MP/SPs occasionally augmenting them in a car. Aside from court costs, the funds from any fine are deposited in the Crime Victims Fund, administered by the DOJ. I'm not sure what you mean by jailing. If you mean if you don't pay the fine or show up, then I presume the US Marshal's Service would receive the warrant.

vains
May 26, 2004

JohnnyHildo posted:

I could be wrong, but I though nearly every base is patrolled by civilian DOD component police now, with MP/SPs occasionally augmenting them in a car. Aside from court costs, the funds from any fine are deposited in the Crime Victims Fund, administered by the DOJ. I'm not sure what you mean by jailing. If you mean if you don't pay the fine or show up, then I presume the US Marshal's Service would receive the warrant.

Edit: Nevermind.

Say the state in question is Virginia, which charges like $2000 on top of any civil fines for a DUI or reckless. Is this still assessed? I don't think it's part of VSC or at least the part that deals with traffic.

vains fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 14, 2010

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
are there any books that are like Absolutely American, but for the other academies?

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
Will negative counsellings, or non-disciplinary flags prevent you from getting the Good conduct medal after 3 years? What exactly are the requirements?

edit: and on that note, do you get the Overseas Service Ribbon along with the Korean Service Defense medal? Or does the latter eliminate the new for the former?

OverseasQueue fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 15, 2010

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Regicide posted:

Will negative counsellings, or non-disciplinary flags prevent you from getting the Good conduct medal after 3 years? What exactly are the requirements?

edit: and on that note, do you get the Overseas Service Ribbon along with the Korean Service Defense medal? Or does the latter eliminate the new for the former?

I know reading regs is hard.

But no and yes.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
The commander who approves/denies your AGCM can do it for any reason he sees is fit, all counselings aside

you havent been in even a year yet why are you so concerned about this.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

The commander who approves/denies your AGCM can do it for any reason he sees is fit, all counselings aside

Plus, of all things, the good conduct medal -- so essential to military operations that it got completely shitcanned a few years ago (although it was brought back))

(personally I think it should exist, it's just that I've never heard anyone actively CARE about it)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Slippery posted:

Plus, of all things, the good conduct medal -- so essential to military operations that it got shitcanned a few years ago and brought back

(personally I think it should exist, it's just that I've never heard anyone actively CARE about it)

Wait, did it get shitcanned across the services? I thought it was only the AF that did away with it, since pretty much everyone still in uniform qualified for it since we actually have standards as opposed to some of the other, more manpower desperate, services.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

iyaayas01 posted:

Wait, did it get shitcanned across the services? I thought it was only the AF that did away with it, since pretty much everyone still in uniform qualified for it since we actually have standards as opposed to some of the other, more manpower desperate, services.

ooooh, dis!

I don't know, I just know the AF canned it for a while. I don't think it was for all services though, sorry should have specified.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

The best part is that he's stationed in Korea so he can only be there for, at most, two years, and his commander at three years wouldn't even know about anything that he's talking about.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
to be fair he can extend for 2 years under AIP once, then nearing the end of that he can marry a juicy girl and apply for command sponsorship which is an additional two years. I knew a couple of joes slip through that loop hole.

Now regicide you have a plan...I'm sure she really loves you

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I thought AIP was only good for +1 year for 2 total, but I know you'd know OORAHDEVILDOG. Whoever you are.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Last that I knew of they were going to change it, but when I was there you could extend 1 additional year for like 350+ a month or two years for 450+ a month. If you've deployed you could do this like 5 times. They were talking about getting rid of the 2 additional year thing and may have, I don't really keep up. If one was interested they could probably look it up on the USFK website.

Regardless command sponsorship will add 2 years to DEROS regardless of deployments and AIP if approved.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
I'm sorry for being curious 2 years earlier?

Whoops, my bad! Thanks for the answers though and yes you can AIP which I didn't. I leave January 2011.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How much physics is on the ASTB, specifically the mechanical section? Or is it more intuitive, rather than number crunching and formulas for velocity, mass etc? I've found a few practice tests but none are consistent. Anyone thats actually taken it know?

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Vile posted:

How much physics is on the ASTB, specifically the mechanical section? Or is it more intuitive, rather than number crunching and formulas for velocity, mass etc? I've found a few practice tests but none are consistent. Anyone thats actually taken it know?

It's been a year since I took it so I might be leaving bits out, but I found that portion to be focused on simple machines and calculating their mechanical advantage and similar problems. I used the ARCO book to study for it, and I found that I was pretty well prepared for that portion, but ideally I would have spent more time learning simple machines. It was not a lot of physics in the more abstract sense.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks. I'm takin it next tuesday, so I'm getting some last minute studying in. Besides the mechanical section and some dumb math mistakes (I haven't done some of the arithmetic in over 5 years, and never without a calculator) I feel confident. Just wish I didn't have to drive an hour and a half to take it. :/

McFrogs
Jul 29, 2006

General von Steingrabber
Make sure you know parts of aircraft and sailboats (:wtc:) these are easy points

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I wanted to see what everyone's opinions on a proper fit for boots was.

A little bigger than you need?

Fit just right?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Make sure you can wear it so your foot, especially your heel, doesn't slide around.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
Size a half up.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
One thing a lot of people overlook when they're buying boots (or any other specialty footwear) is that you might be wearing different socks when using that footwear than you usually do otherwise. Hiking socks, for example, tend to be quite a bit thicker than normal socks. So assuming that you're buying these and not just having them issued to you, make sure you wear whatever socks you plan on wearing when you're wearing these boots for real, not just whatever socks you happened to put on when you went to the store that day.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Small update: Went to my doctor, and explained to him about the gout issues, and what my recruiter had told me. He gave me a full physical, blood work, etc, and found no gout at all. He thinks I was misdiagnosed by the original clinic doctor, and said he doesn't see any reason why I could not perform any duties the military would have me perform. He's writing a letter stating exactly that, and mailing it to me with a copy of all the blood work and stuff. Anyone think that will have any sway at MEPS?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

I wanted to see what everyone's opinions on a proper fit for boots was.

A little bigger than you need?

Fit just right?

I'd say fit just right, or make sure that your toes don't touch the front of the boot while standing.

I wear a size 10D dress shoe, 10.5 running shoe, and my size in the Belleville hot weather boots is 9R.

So, the sizes on Army issued boots are a little weird.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Apologies if this was posted somewhere else....

I was told by a friend that I served with that the gov is doing something to compensate soldiers that were stop lossed. Has anyone heard anything about this, and if so, how would I find out more?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

King of Spit posted:

Apologies if this was posted somewhere else....

I was told by a friend that I served with that the gov is doing something to compensate soldiers that were stop lossed. Has anyone heard anything about this, and if so, how would I find out more?

Stop lossed soldiers were receiving additional money (I think like $500 per month) while on AD for a while. Type "Stop loss compensation" into Google.

http://www.military.com/military-report/stop-loss-compensation-pay

King of Spit
May 18, 2006

Rrail posted:

Stop lossed soldiers were receiving additional money (I think like $500 per month) while on AD for a while. Type "Stop loss compensation" into Google.

http://www.military.com/military-report/stop-loss-compensation-pay

Yea, I actually found something too right after I posted. Really should have googled first.

http://www.defense.gov/home/features/2010/0710_stoploss/

Any way to find out how long I was stop lossed exactly? I think it was 6 months, but I'm not confident about that. It would have been 7 years ago.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
Got a supplement that contains DHEA. I understand it's a type of steroid. As ever I can never get a straight loving answer out of Google whether or not this stuff turns up on piss tests or is even outright prohibited. Anybody got the goods on this crap?

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

hammeredspace posted:

Got a supplement that contains DHEA. I understand it's a type of steroid. As ever I can never get a straight loving answer out of Google whether or not this stuff turns up on piss tests or is even outright prohibited. Anybody got the goods on this crap?

No idea but I'd like to suggest an alternate. Estrogen blockers are very effective and will not interfer with drug tests and such. Look into Nolvadex XT. It should provide similar gains. Also double check it's ingredients but I'm confident you'll be good to go as it is a supplement allowed for use by college teams and pro sports, to my knowledge.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

hammeredspace posted:

As a prohormone, it's only going to be trouble if you're taking ludicrous amounts and it's causing a testosterone imbalance. How much is in your supplement?

Science:

At doses of 50, 100, and 150 mg/ day, subject 1 had T/E [testosterone/epitestosterone] ratios >6. A ratio exceeding 6:1 is used by a number of organizations, including the IOC and the US military, as an indication that additional studies are required to rule out the exogenous use of physiological steroids.

http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/45/2/295

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

Busket_in_Posket posted:

As a prohormone, it's only going to be trouble if you're taking ludicrous amounts and it's causing a testosterone imbalance. How much is in your supplement?

It's a patch; doesn't list the absolute amount of the stuff. But essentially I'd have to be literally packed with this DHEA for it to give me any grief, right?

edit: For interest, here's the whole list.

Fucus vesiculosis, 5-HTP, Guarana, Garcinia cambogia, Zinc pyruvate, DHEA, Yerba Mate, Flaxseed Oil, Lecithin, L-Caritine, Zinc Citrate

hammeredspace fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 25, 2010

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

hammeredspace posted:

It's a patch; doesn't list the absolute amount of the stuff. But essentially I'd have to be literally packed with this DHEA for it to give me any grief, right?

edit: For interest, here's the whole list.

Fucus vesiculosis, 5-HTP, Guarana, Garcinia cambogia, Zinc pyruvate, DHEA, Yerba Mate, Flaxseed Oil, Lecithin, L-Caritine, Zinc Citrate

That patch sounds like some serious snake oil. Especially if it's not listing the dosage of any of the ingredients. None of those things are absorbed well transdermally, so you're probably getting barely any DHEA anyways; you'd be better off finding an oral supplement if you want something useful.

I typed this up as an addendum to my previous science so I'm going to post it anyway:

Testosterone, Your Pee, and You

When the male body reaches hormonal maturity, your glands start pooping out testosterone and its cousin epitestosterone at the same rate and ratio.

Products on the market today meant to boost testosterone do not affect epitestosterone production, and so a pee test can check your T/E ratio to see if your testosterone levels are natural (meaning ~1:1) or you've been artificially enhancing your T levels (which would imbalance you to >2:1).

I don't believe there's any well-studied method to increase epitestosterone production to maintain the ratio.

So the only reason to worry would be if you're taking retarded amounts of DHEA, which would then produce an imbalanced result, and the testing folks would ask you what the hell. If you really like the product and want to continue taking it, get a doctor involved so he/she can prescribe a suitable dosage and then you get the protection of, "My levels are whack because of a prescription, not injecting horse semen into my eyeball."

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

Busket_in_Posket posted:

That patch sounds like some serious snake oil. Especially if it's not listing the dosage of any of the ingredients. None of those things are absorbed well transdermally, so you're probably getting barely any DHEA anyways; you'd be better off finding an oral supplement if you want something useful.

Yeah, my hopes aren't high for this patch thing, but then again I couldn't find any reviews that weren't obviously advertisements for the product itself, so I kind of consider myself a test subject for it. I'm losing weight fine; just figure an extra boost here and there can't hurt.

It's interesting you say that those ingredients aren't absorbed well through the skin because that's this thing's main pitch: that oral supplements get destroyed and degraded by digestion, whereas the patch supplies directly to the bloodstream.

Oh well. If it's not gonna hurt me, what's the harm in trying it for a month? Already paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

hammeredspace posted:

Yeah, my hopes aren't high for this patch thing, but then again I couldn't find any reviews that weren't obviously advertisements for the product itself, so I kind of consider myself a test subject for it. I'm losing weight fine; just figure an extra boost here and there can't hurt.

It's interesting you say that those ingredients aren't absorbed well through the skin because that's this thing's main pitch: that oral supplements get destroyed and degraded by digestion, whereas the patch supplies directly to the bloodstream.

Oh well. If it's not gonna hurt me, what's the harm in trying it for a month? Already paid for it.

Just be aware of any side effects or sensitivity at the application site. Even medications that are designed to cross the dermal barrier in patch form (stop-smoking aids, birth control, etc.) are loaded the gently caress down with product because such a comparatively small amount actually makes it through to the bloodstream, so itching, rashes, and increased risk of clotting from huge bursts of hormones are all dangers. Which means that your patches are either loaded the gently caress down with imprecise quantities of herbal extracts or there's more glue than benefit.

Oddly enough, this destruction and degradation of oral supplements is what some people call "digestion," which is also a good way to get vitamins/minerals/fats/etc. into your system. Quality supplements are coated/capsuled to survive digestive acids and degrade further down the line where their contents can be absorbed (like the enteric coated aspirin your grandad takes so his tummy doesn't get upset).

And that is your Goons In Platoons Guide to Herbal Supplementation.

• Locked thread