Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It may be the weakest but it's not an abortion of a film, it's at least enjoyable from start to finish. Plus the scene of Ripley walking into the room with all the failed clones is very cool to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Troll 2 10/5

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

pre-order

edit: look at the October 5 releases so far

Bad Lieutenant
Baseball: The Tenth Inning (Ken Burns)
Beauty and the Beast
The Blair Witch Project
The Exorcist
Grindhouse
Hard Candy
High Tension
The Human Centipede
The Karate Kid
The Last of the Mohicans
Mad Max
The Maltese Falcon
The Mission
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Oceans 11
The Robocop Trilogy
Secretary
The Secret of Kells
Splice
The Treasure of Sierra Madre
Troll 2
Wonderland

:psypop:

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 12, 2010

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Bad Lieutenant
Beauty and the Beast
The Blair Witch Project
The Exorcist
Grindhouse
High Tension
The Last of the Mohicans
Mad Max
The Maltese Falcon
The Robocop Trilogy
Troll 2

That's what I want, but my wallet wont like me :(
Plus on top of that , I want the 5 titles Criterion is releasing that month, I dont need to pay for school that month.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's a lot of releases but I don't see a single one I'd buy. Rent, yeah.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Honestly I never really got all the overwhelming :qq: for the fridge thing. The monkey scene? Sure. But come on, the fridge thing wasn't that outlandish for a franchise that involves all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
2001: A Space Odyssey is down to $8.50 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q66J1M?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000Q66J1M

It's a must own for anybody's collection.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

doctor thodt posted:

Troll 2 10/5

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

pre-order

Bad Lieutenant
Beauty and the Beast
The Blair Witch Project
The Exorcist
Grindhouse
Hard Candy
High Tension
The Human Centipede
The Karate Kid
The Last of the Mohicans
Mad Max
The Maltese Falcon
The Mission
Oceans 11
The Robocop Trilogy
Secretary
The Secret of Kells
Splice
Troll 2
Wonderland

I sincerely hope to god they did not do a piss poor job with Last of the Mohicans. I have been waiting for it since I bought a drat BD player.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

bmmello posted:

This phrase simply isn't used often enough.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Troll 2 will probably be reference quality. The DVD has a better transfer than a lot of A-grade movies.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Beaver on Psycho.

Gary did his best to include some tits.

Wow holy poo poo. I must have this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Beaver on Psycho.

Gary did his best to include some tits.

Isn't it one of the main selling points for Blu Ray.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Red posted:

I decided to stick with Kick-rear end and pick up ASM in the future. But holy hell, Best Buy puts their price stickers on the cardboard sleeves - sleeves that I don't throw away. The gummy crap left on the sleeve is loving IRRITATING. Thankfully, a careful touch, a damp paper towel and some scotch tape clean it off in a few minutes.

Why would you even consider getting rid of Kick rear end? That movie is great/the bluray is great/ and the bonus features are great.

Also the only thing I hate about best buy is the fact that the put the stickers on the slipcovers. It really doesn't make sense to me. Normally I can get them off completely clean with no issues but every now and again there is that one that gets all jacked up.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Region A Time Bandits is not very good.

:(

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Boooo. That review made me aware of the fact that there's a pretty good import Blu-Ray for the UK though, so cheers! Good thing I have a region free player now :D

Surprise surprise, the Toy Story 3 cover art is just a hodgepodge of the actors' faces :rolleyes:

It's up for pre-order now but you should probably wait since there will be the inevitable slew of great deals that comes with new Pixar titles.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Gary also just posted his review for Mona Lisa, which is barely a step up. Like, imagine a baby that just learned how to walk attempting to mimic an adult climbing a flight of stairs. Its stubby little stupid legs are obviously far too stunted for the ascent, so it trips on the first step, topples forward and splits its head open on the second step. Sure it's bleeding all over your beautiful hardwood stairs, wailing like a stuck pig and choking on its own snot, but its head has technically made it a step up. That's the Mona Lisa Blu-Ray.

e: a slightly more favorable review for Hamlet...

quote:

Another site has noted the transfer's heavy use of noise reduction, but frankly I'm having trouble seeing it. Yes, Claudius's face looks a little pink and waxy in the coronation scene, but standing right beside him is Gertrude, whose face doesn't have the same problem. Consequently I can't help but chalk it up to the production's make up. Likewise close-ups have a satisfying level of detail, with pores and fine facial hairs visible and uncompromised. If noise reduction has indeed been applied, it's very, very subtle. More obvious is the edge enhancement, which I believe will be more of an issue for viewers than the apparent detail in the picture.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 13, 2010

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Bambi posted:

Boooo. That review made me aware of the fact that there's a pretty good import Blu-Ray for the UK though, so cheers! Good thing I have a region free player now :D

Surprise surprise, the Toy Story 3 cover art is just a hodgepodge of the actors' faces :rolleyes:

It's up for pre-order now but you should probably wait since there will be the inevitable slew of great deals that comes with new Pixar titles.

I don't know if this is because it's the dvd/digital copy too, but, Amazon has a different cover up:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

GonSmithe posted:

I don't know if this is because it's the dvd/digital copy too, but, Amazon has a different cover up:

Yes, that's a different product.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

bmmello posted:

I don't get this. Crystal Skull was a nap in movie form.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rocco posted:

I don't get this. Crystal Skull was a nap in movie form.

Okay, that's it. I'm going on record as saying I ENJOYED THE FRIDGE NUKE SCENE. Shia LeDouche's involvement was the only real crime, along with the CGI monkeys, and the retarded alien mind-gently caress swirl-y evil hurricane ending thing.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
And it would appear we aren't getting Finding Nemo this year either... Toy Story 3 was announced alongside the Mattor shorts - no Finding Nemo mention whatsoever. I'm really starting to get pissed about this one - it's been rumored every 6 months since 2008.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

sorry, doublepost

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Red posted:

Okay, that's it. I'm going on record as saying I ENJOYED THE FRIDGE NUKE SCENE.

I did too, I didn't even mind aliens. I just felt like it was phoned-in old people walking from point to point with CG ants chasing them. I know Temple of Doom is not the world's favorite movie, but jesus, it's THAT bad?

Neo_Reloaded posted:

And it would appear we aren't getting Finding Nemo this year either... Toy Story 3 was announced alongside the Mattor shorts - no Finding Nemo mention whatsoever. I'm really starting to get pissed about this one - it's been rumored every 6 months since 2008.

Are you kidding? What the hell is going on with Nemo?

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx

bmmello posted:

:stare:

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Rocco posted:

I did too, I didn't even mind aliens. I just felt like it was phoned-in old people walking from point to point with CG ants chasing them. I know Temple of Doom is not the world's favorite movie, but jesus, it's THAT bad?

Are you kidding? What the hell is going on with Nemo?

gently caress Nemo. Where the hell is my Blu Ray of The Incredibles?????

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Paul Allen posted:

gently caress Nemo. Where the hell is my Blu Ray of The Incredibles?????

Well I'm sure plenty agree on principle, but there has never been ANY rumor about The Incredibles coming out on BD anytime soon. Whereas there have been near constant rumors about Nemo (Amazon listings and dates, "inside sources," even "Coming Fall 2008" adverts at Disney events in 2008).

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Well I'm sure plenty agree on principle, but there has never been ANY rumor about The Incredibles coming out on BD anytime soon. Whereas there have been near constant rumors about Nemo (Amazon listings and dates, "inside sources," even "Coming Fall 2008" adverts at Disney events in 2008).

Agreed, but I stand by my previous post :colbert:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new Amelie disc from Alliance Canada is a wonderful 1080p transfer. Order with confidence. Haven't watched City of God yet but everything I'm reading about it says it's also a very strong HD presentation.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

doctor thodt posted:

The new Amelie disc from Alliance Canada is a wonderful 1080p transfer. Order with confidence. Haven't watched City of God yet but everything I'm reading about it says it's also a very strong HD presentation.

Is it region-free? Or playable in US players? I have no idea how that works.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Canada is in region A, which is the same as the United States. Any disc from our brothers up north should play in any US player.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
According to George Lucas himself, Star Wars will indeed be coming to Blu-Ray in 2011:

quote:

The big Blu-ray news today is George Lucas and Lucasfilm confirming that all six Star Wars films are coming to Blu-ray Disc next year and will include plentiful bonus features such as never-before-seen deleted scenes.

The bad news, at least for Star Wars and film purists, is versions of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in the set will be the modified special edition versions (re: Greedo shoots first) and not the original versions. Lucas explains the reasoning behind this decision to the New York Times.

"You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally," he said. "It's a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version.... [it's] kind of an oxymoron because the quality of the original is not very good."

I'm not convinced Lucas is being entirely forthcoming about his plans with this statement. There are only a few minutes of film that differ between the original and special edition release that would need to be cleaned up and transferred for Blu-ray. It sounds more like Lucas is putting additional dollars into supplemental materials now and will revisit the "original" trilogy a few years down the road - say 2015 or so - to re-energize the franchise/brand after making loads of cash off the first Blu-ray set.

Given Lucas' track record with multiple versions of Star Wars on VHS and DVD you have to imagine the door for the unaltered films on Blu-ray will never truly close.

The UK Blu-Ray of Picnic at Hanging Rock is jaw-dropping. Dr. Svet at Blu-Ray.com said it's "a prime contender for a Blu-ray release of the year." Review here.

Withnail and I reviewed
The Long Good Friday reviewed
Machine Gun McCain reviewed
Shogun Assassin reviewed x2

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Goddamnit I would pay $30 extra for non-special edition blurays

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Goddamnit I would pay $30 extra for non-special edition blurays

quote:

will revisit the "original" trilogy a few years down the road - say 2015 or so - to re-energize the franchise/brand after making loads of cash off the first Blu-ray set.
See you in 5 years.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
So these will have all the CG poo poo they piled onto the mos eisley/cloud city sequences? Bummer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Why not just offer the original cuts with unrestored, but fresh 1080p scans from the best available elements? They could be marketed as "archival editions" as if the viewer were watching an original 35mm print.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Egbert Souse posted:

Why not just offer the original cuts with unrestored, but fresh 1080p scans from the best available elements? They could be marketed as "archival editions" as if the viewer were watching an original 35mm print.

That is a logical course of action. But unfortunately I don't think there are, shall we say, practical reasons behind George's resistance.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

That is a logical course of action. But unfortunately I don't think there are, shall we say, practical reasons behind George's resistance.

Really.

The only reason he re-released the laserdisc of the original on DVD was to undercut the bootleg sales of it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really all the originals ever needed was a few minor touches here and there, where a scene looked really bad, and a few minor subtle CGI touches to make the world look more real and believable. The special editions really went overboard.

And I don't understand why they are including episodes 1 - 3 in the package. No one wants that poo poo.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

I said come in! posted:

And I don't understand why they are including episodes 1 - 3 in the package. No one wants that poo poo.

You don't understand it? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

George Lucas posted:

when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version.... [it's] kind of an oxymoron because the quality of the original is not very good.

Maybe it's because of the pause in the middle, but that quote makes George Lucas sound like he doesn't know the meaning of oxymoron. The upgraded version is the upgrade + the old original is in worse shape = oxymoron? Ah well, makes me grateful to have the original trilogy in those 2-disc sets that included the original films from the laserdisc source. Nothing a good ol' "Zoom" setting can't put right! Especially in the face of all that added special edition crap. Some more X-wings and TIE Fighters are the only additions those movies should've taken, and only to make the large-scale space battles busier.

• Locked thread