Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

Possibly a little too lean on the pilot? If your fuel/air screw cover is drilled out, you could try giving it a half turn in.

Wouldn't you want to turn it out a half turn in order to make things richer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Wouldn't you want to turn it out a half turn in order to make things richer?

Uh, yeah, I'm stuck in 2-stroke mode, where that screw is an air bleed screw.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

Uh, yeah, I'm stuck in 2-stroke mode, where that screw is an air bleed screw.

I doubted myself for a minute because i figured that there was something special about the DRZ carb or something.

FYI, if there is any interest, I will be parting one DRZ shortly. Details to come.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I'm interested in seeing what you have in parts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

I'm interested in seeing what you have in parts.

Alright I'll compose up a big post when I get a little farther in the process with everything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want a whole DRZ, please ship one to me, tia.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

I want a whole DRZ, please ship one to me, tia.

I was considering talking to you about it but I figured you'd probably not be so keen on the idea of riding a bike rebuilt by some schmuck from the internet across the US. :v:

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes
I switched out the stock dunlops on my DRZ for some Pilot Powers, really happy with them so far. Had them installed at a local independent shop, the owner was trying to sell me on these cheap shinko tires. I'm a bit wary of using 'budget' tires on a bike...

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Crashing my track SV pretty bad made me think about whether to fix it up or part it and get a different bike. I think I will fix up the SV but it got me thinking about my street bike too.

I have a Tuono right now, but most of the time I'm commuting highway on it or doing little a to b trips. Seems like it's kind of a waste for what that bike is - it's happiest on very fast smooth open roads. And it's loud, and hot, and a little finnicky. And oh god it's so loving loud it's almost embarassing to ride downtown.

So I think I want a DRZ for quick stuff and either a beater car or an early 00s bandit 1200 for highway commuting. Am I insane? And, uhhh, can DRZs carry a givi topcase...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Infinotize posted:

So I think I want a DRZ for quick stuff and either a beater car or an early 00s bandit 1200 for highway commuting. Am I insane? And, uhhh, can DRZs carry a givi topcase...

You're not crazy at all. I have a 2000 Bandit 1200 and I'd like to complement it with a DRZ. The Bandit is great for touring, highway cruising, long trips, rialin twiztiz and other sportbike stuff, and I really love it. I'd like to get a DRZ for more around town and backroads tomfoolery.

I had an 05 DRZSM a few years ago, and miss it so much I want to get another one. The two bikes would complement each other perfectly. Pretty much everything the DRZ isnt good at, the Bandit is, and vice versa.

Yes they will do a Givi top case.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Quick question, I like the duke 690, but I would like to get some handlebars that are a bit...lower. Would a drag bar or a set of clubmans mess up the dynamics / handling of the bike at all?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ari.gato posted:

Quick question, I like the duke 690, but I would like to get some handlebars that are a bit...lower. Would a drag bar or a set of clubmans mess up the dynamics / handling of the bike at all?

In my opinion that would be a pretty stupid thing to do but you have a ton of bar options just with the setup that bike uses, any bar that fits the diameter of the risers should potentially be good to go and dirt bike bars come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Wont be hard to experiment.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Infinotize posted:

:woop:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

i'm too cheap

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

i'm too cheap

Not sumos but who cares!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Buell riders :doh:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Buell riders :doh:

One FORMER Buell rider, thank you much :colbert:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

It looks like I may be selling the DRZ when I finally get back to Tennessee to cover medical bills for the last two drat months. This is good and bad. There is a CRF450R motard a friend of mine is selling for pretty cheap.

How are the CRF converted bikes? Not going to be a commuter or anything but a play bike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Isn't a 450 going to blow a DRZ out of the water?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Isn't a 450 going to blow a DRZ out of the water?

Yeah, significantly lighter and more HP. Downside is more aggressive maintenance intervals, but if it's a play bike that's not a big deal.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Dear CA please help me. About a week ago I decided to sell my KTM. Why? I "need" money for redoing my bathroom. Now, I actually have saved up for this for a while, and can afford it without selling the bike, but for some strange reason it feels like I should have some extra cash for unexpected expenses. Am I getting old? I turned 30 not long ago, may this have something to do with this? When I parked my car in my garage today I stood there for a while looking at my bike and wondering why I would get rid of the best thing I have ever owned. I love this piece of machinery like it's close family. I think I have to go on a long and wheelie filled ride tomorrow...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I sold my DRZ two years ago to pay off some debt. Here I am two years later looking to by another DRZ.

Its a vicious cycle

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Valfar posted:

Dear CA please help me. About a week ago I decided to sell my KTM. Why? I "need" money for redoing my bathroom. Now, I actually have saved up for this for a while, and can afford it without selling the bike, but for some strange reason it feels like I should have some extra cash for unexpected expenses. Am I getting old? I turned 30 not long ago, may this have something to do with this? When I parked my car in my garage today I stood there for a while looking at my bike and wondering why I would get rid of the best thing I have ever owned. I love this piece of machinery like it's close family. I think I have to go on a long and wheelie filled ride tomorrow...

Why not just save a little longer to have a bit more buffer money, or start with the cheaper parts of the remodel project?

Besides that, I was going to say you should ask Phat_Albert how that worked out for him but he's already posted :xd:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Valfar posted:

Am I getting old? I turned 30 not long ago, may this have something to do with this?

Buffer money is nice, being debt free is also nice. Personally I'm going to be selling my bike and using the money to pay off a majority of my high interest debt, also selling my car and I'll pay off some more. (commute via bicycle anyways)

Hopefully in about 6 months I'll be able to buy a really nice DRZ, but it's going to be lovely not having a bike for that long.

I'll probably be borrowing my Dad's KLR for some trips in the meantime.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Why not just save a little longer to have a bit more buffer money, or start with the cheaper parts of the remodel project?

Besides that, I was going to say you should ask Phat_Albert how that worked out for him but he's already posted :xd:

I guess what I should have mentioned is that it DID work out. I paid my debt, and the load off my mind has been worth the two years of being DRZ-less.

Looking back, I wish I would have figured out another way to make it work, but that might be just me looking through rose colored glasses at the whole situation. I know at the time I was extremely happy to get cash for the bike and turn right around and hand it over to the bank.

I still want another DRZ like nothing else though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

I guess what I should have mentioned is that it DID work out. I paid my debt, and the load off my mind has been worth the two years of being DRZ-less.

Looking back, I wish I would have figured out another way to make it work, but that might be just me looking through rose colored glasses at the whole situation. I know at the time I was extremely happy to get cash for the bike and turn right around and hand it over to the bank.

I still want another DRZ like nothing else though.

Well, that's part of the reason why I don't have a race bike anymore. But at the same time, I wasn't in a position where I had enough money in the bank to cover my upcoming expenses. I've steadily sold bikes over the last 2 years to bring my finances in order.

However: The point here is that Valfar actually has enough money to cover everything. So I don't see why in that situation you'd bother selling the bike, at this point it's a known factor, you may as well hold off on the project for a bit if you want more buffer, which is what I'd do. Finding a bike that you're really happy with is pretty rare, so I'd hold on to it.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

The bathroom can't wait as the waste and inlet pipes (I have no clue if that's what it's called) have to be replaced, and because of this every bathroom in the building I live in is getting redone this fall. The costs are minimal compared to doing the entire thing myself, so I guess it boils down to me being all OCD over having extra cash for whatever reason. I'm calling my bank on Monday to see if I get this included in the loan I already have on this place. According to friends this should be no problem.

In other news I'm starting to get the hang on changing gears while doing wheelies. Also I did a wheelie in fifth the other day (with one leg on the seat), and I'm pretty sure I crapped my pants a little.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Valfar posted:

In other news I'm starting to get the hang on changing gears while doing wheelies. Also I did a wheelie in fifth the other day (with one leg on the seat), and I'm pretty sure I crapped my pants a little.

Wheelie chat! :neckbeard:

Why did no one ever tell me that the key to getting really comfortable with clutchups is liberal use of the rear brake? Now I can just rip it up to balance point and lean on the brake a little for a much more immediate response to stop it from getting out of hand. I'm not super great with consistency yet but comfort skyrocketed once I figured out that little trick. And because I'm way more comfortable committing, a 3rd gear clutchup is now totally doable on commuter gearing of 15/41.

Still working on changing gears.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

I have had a hell of a time getting used to changing gears. A tad to much throttle and I almost flip it, a tad to little it just falls back down due to the massive engine breaking. Guess learning to wheelie an a 660 smc might not be the easiest :P

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Valfar posted:

I have had a hell of a time getting used to changing gears. A tad to much throttle and I almost flip it, a tad to little it just falls back down due to the massive engine breaking. Guess learning to wheelie an a 660 smc might not be the easiest :P

I've gotten it to work a few times, my friend who's an old dirtbiker recommended doing it lower in the rev range because it's easier to control and modulate there and the few times I've pulled it off successfully it's definitely been when I was shifting around 7k or so rather than the 9k my wheelies top out at. It's also probably helpful because you can drop it right back down to peak torque when you shift, increasing your chances of being able to hoist it back up to BP on the power, despite going faster.

And the BB kit makes wheelies on the DRZ awesome, I can't wait to finish swapping the flatslide on there and see how it feels then.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Doing it in the lower rev range definitely helps, it's what helped me getting used to changing gears. I'll see if I can get some video tomorrow, found some awesome wheelie areas a few weeks ago!

Also I feel like a new born christian for some reason right now. Just with more adrenalin! I's it normal to feel this way about a piece of machinery?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Valfar posted:

Doing it in the lower rev range definitely helps, it's what helped me getting used to changing gears. I'll see if I can get some video tomorrow, found some awesome wheelie areas a few weeks ago!

Also I feel like a new born christian for some reason right now. Just with more adrenalin! I's it normal to feel this way about a piece of machinery?

I have no idea, but I've been happier with my DRZ than just about any other motorcycle I've ever owned.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
Background: It idles fine but dies when I come up to stops. It makes for really frustrating stop signs and red lights.

It hasn't been drilled out so I'm assuming that the internals are all stock. The PO did a bunch of mods like hand guards but didn't mention that he did anything to the carb/engine/exhaust. He mentioned that it sat for a year so now I'm leaning towards varnish in the carb...does that sound reasonable?

If that's the case I'm assuming that I'll have to pull the carb and at that point I should just do a jet kit, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

wallofwords posted:

Background: It idles fine but dies when I come up to stops. It makes for really frustrating stop signs and red lights.

It hasn't been drilled out so I'm assuming that the internals are all stock. The PO did a bunch of mods like hand guards but didn't mention that he did anything to the carb/engine/exhaust. He mentioned that it sat for a year so now I'm leaning towards varnish in the carb...does that sound reasonable?

If that's the case I'm assuming that I'll have to pull the carb and at that point I should just do a jet kit, right?

That's what I'd do. It's probably not completely clogged, just enough to cause it to run a little lean so when you shut the throttle off and roll up to a stop it dies.

Or you could swap it for another carb. :v:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

wallofwords posted:

Background: It idles fine but dies when I come up to stops.
He mentioned that it sat for a year so now I'm leaning towards varnish in the carb...
If it sat for a year, I'd start with fresh gas and some seafoam.
The XS400 I had last year did *exactly* that. Adding the prescribed amount of seafoam to the first 3 tanks of gas this year fixed it right up and it runs like a champ now.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
Ok, I already drained the old tank of gas and added 1 gal + 1oz of seafoam. I guess I could just idle through a few gallons of gas before I pull (or replace) the carb. Thanks for the advice guys.

e: I think doing that might be pissing of the neighbors.

Empire Waffles fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 16, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

wallofwords posted:

Ok, I already drained the old tank of gas and added 1 gal + 1oz of seafoam. I guess I could just idle through a few gallons of gas before I pull (or replace) the carb. Thanks for the advice guys.

e: I think doing that might be pissing of the neighbors.
Just go for a nice long ride in whatever passes for 'the countryside' near you (which might just be 'the freeway' - that's OK.). The goal is to maximize gas (and therefore, seafoam) usage, while minimizing the frustration of having to relight it when you stop.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Also, opening the throttle up increases fuel flow which by consequence carries away any dirt quicker.

So yeah, go for a ride, and pull the revs up :)

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Thanks for the drz info!

Step one down, got myself an 01 bandit. Now to sell my tuono, if I can bring myself to do it, then find the right DRZ; it seems like they're all in California. This bike habit is gettin ridiculous :niggly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
My buddy is selling his 01 KTM Duke II locally. I wanted it a year and a half ago when my best friend sold it to him, and I still kinda want it. The engine was rebuilt by a KTM shop in San Jose and had the LC4 crank bearing issue fixed, and the bike is basically mint. Anyone know the major differences (besides the obvious) between the Duke II and the 640 Adventure? I see them selling for a lot less in the same condition. He wants $4500 for it, is this a decent deal or would I be better off buying one down south (I live in AK) and shipping it up? Also it has brand new tires.

• Locked thread