Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I think he meant Dreamgirls, the movie Jennifer Hudson won an Academy Award for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

morestuff posted:

I remember hearing people laughing about him just being Ben Affleck's brother in the Ocean's movies.

Wasn't he also a punchline in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Klungar posted:

I think he meant Dreamgirls, the movie Jennifer Hudson won an Academy Award for.

I considered that, but honestly, Queen Latifah in Chicago fits the question too.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I remember Casey Affleck being sort of a punchline before The Assassination Of Jesse James came out, though I'm not sure if he was considered a lovely actor, or just unknown.

I don't remember Casey Affleck ever being a punchline.

But you know who was?

Frank Stallone.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

NGL posted:

I don't remember Casey Affleck ever being a punchline.

But you know who was?

Frank Stallone.

:golfclap: Well played.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I considered that, but honestly, Queen Latifah in Chicago fits the question too.

Ebert liked her in Set It Off

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
So is there a list anywhere of films that were shot mostly, if not entirely, in sequence? The only ones I know of are Deliverance, Casablanca, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, The Breakfast Club, The Maltese Falcon, and The Warriors.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Klungar posted:

yeah, I knew she won for some annoying musical and the caption under her photo on wikipedia has the word "Chicago" in it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Keanu Reeves, who is usually considered a terrible actor, is absolutely fantastic in The Gift. It's a surprisingly great job from him.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

ClydeUmney posted:

Keanu Reeves, who is usually considered a terrible actor, is absolutely fantastic in The Gift. It's a surprisingly great job from him.

Yeah, this is a great pick. Don't know what the hell Sam Raimi did to get that performance out of him, but I'd love to see them work together again. Katie Holmes ain't half bad in that movie either.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

codyclarke posted:

Katie Holmes ain't half bad in that movie either.

True. It's just a shame her boobs are as lopsided as her smile.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Sorry I'm late to respond to this comment but...

regulargonzalez posted:

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I doubt many people watching Big, as great a movie as it is, thought that Hanks would go on to win multiple Academy Awards.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Hanks was nominated for an Oscar for Big, so I'd say it's definitely his breakthrough role, or at least the role that really showed he wouldn't be stuck doing mediocre comedies for his entire career.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've read a couple of tomes on bigfoot and there is definitely enough source material out there both frightening and humorous to make a decent film. The last one I watched was called Sasquatch Hunters and it was just a low budget cheap ape suit/ridiculous CGI mess.

The more interesting things on Bigfoot for me have been the specials on Unsolved Mysteries, Ancient Mysteries and In Search Of...

Ancient Mysteries

In Search Of...

TonTon
May 1, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

So is there a list anywhere of films that were shot mostly, if not entirely, in sequence? The only ones I know of are Deliverance, Casablanca, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, The Breakfast Club, The Maltese Falcon, and The Warriors.

I know that Platoon was filmed in sequence, and that any time a character died, the actor was shipped off as well, in order to get a better performance out of the remaining actors.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man, I loved those shows. Though the ones of today are all "END OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!" stuff based on the ancient mysteries. Twisting everything into the end of the world in 2012. It's not just "who built this?" or "where do they come from?".

Anyways, I was watching Repo Men last night and is there a reason everyone seemed to have artiforges or was it just the perception of the film? I know now there are lots of people who need transplants, but it seemed like there were a huge number of people with them in the film.

Though it would fit with the theme of the film that the Union would try to get as many people as possible to get them.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Serpico was filmed in reverse :eng101: Well not entirely but:

imdb trivia posted:

The film was shot in reverse order. Al Pacino began with long hair and a beard, then for each scene, his hair and beard were trimmed bit by bit until he became clean-cut.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Anyways, I was watching Repo Men last night and is there a reason everyone seemed to have artiforges or was it just the perception of the film? I know now there are lots of people who need transplants, but it seemed like there were a huge number of people with them in the film.

Though it would fit with the theme of the film that the Union would try to get as many people as possible to get them.

There's that, the fact that there was also a large market for artiforg "enhancements" and from the book there's mention of the fact that due to pollution the world is just generally a crappier place to live with organ failure more likely.

Also the book mentions how the Union and other artiforg companies really manipulated people into getting artiforgs for trivial medical reasons.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Akuma posted:

The Saw films probably do this but I can't quite remember. I wouldn't be surprised if there were clues about Hoffman a movie or two before the reveal.

I was going to say this. I'm not entirely sure, because I don't think the writers initially planned for any sequels, but there are several plot points in the first film that become fridge logic unless you accept that Amanda had been helping John. I haven't checked, but I've heard the figure who kidnaps Adam clearly has breasts, and of course we later find out it was Amanda.

3-6 definitely do this and really constitute one whole story. Hoffman's involvement, Det. Matthew's fate, and John's former life are all foreshadowed in Saw 3, but aren't expanded until the following entries. In fact, Saw is much easier to take if you think of it as a high budget TV series instead of a low budget film series.

nWoCHRISnWo
May 4, 2009
I have a simple(?) question here- I've never seen a Star Wars movie. I want to. Looking for straight information on where to start is more confusing than it should be, though.

SO: How many main movies are there? What is the order that I should watch them? Is that also the order they were released?

I just want to get in on the action!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

I have a simple(?) question here- I've never seen a Star Wars movie. I want to. Looking for straight information on where to start is more confusing than it should be, though.

SO: How many main movies are there? What is the order that I should watch them? Is that also the order they were released?

Just watch 4,5,6 - New Hope, Empire Strikes back, and Return of the Jedi

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Star Wars was originally released starting in 1977 with Episodes 4: A New Hope, Episode 5: Empire Strikes Back and Episode 6: Return of the Jedi.

Then in 1999 there was the release of the "Prequel Trilogy" which is Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, Episode 2: Attack of the Clones and Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith.

If you want the best viewing order it's actually 4-6 then 1-3 since they are basically separate stories. Be prepared to be disappointed with 1-3 as there is a fairly large quality drop between the two trilogies.

It's best not to watch the movies in number order as there are quite a few story elements from the "Original Trilogy" (aka 4-6) that wouldn't be quite as powerful if you watched 1-3 first. The Prequel Trilogy is actually designed for people who have seen the OT.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 15, 2010

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Didn't somebody work out some mixed order where you'd watch 1, then 4, then 2, then 5, then 3, then 6 or something like that? It would also kinda work out dramatically as the stories sort of intersect and I think the order which that person had worked out was a bit more sophisticated than just intertwining the old and new episodes.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

CloseFriend posted:

E.T was filmed in order because Spielberg thought it would get a better performance out of the child actors, as was Hitchcock's Rope , for obvious reasons.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

I think I read the The Happening was shot entirely in sequence, though probably not for any good reason.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Rake Arms posted:

I think I read the The Happening was shot entirely in sequence, though probably not for any good reason.

Shyamalan shoots in sequence all the time. Shooting in sequence is tough on the budget, but it helps performances. The Duplass brothers did that for Cyrus.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

NeuroticErotica posted:

Shyamalan shoots in sequence all the time. Shooting in sequence is tough on the budget, but it helps performances. The Duplass brothers did that for Cyrus.

Yeah, it sure helped the performances in The Happening.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Rake Arms posted:

Yeah, it sure helped the performances in The Happening.

The performances in his first three are great, though :/

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Zwille posted:

Didn't somebody work out some mixed order where you'd watch 1, then 4, then 2, then 5, then 3, then 6 or something like that? It would also kinda work out dramatically as the stories sort of intersect and I think the order which that person had worked out was a bit more sophisticated than just intertwining the old and new episodes.

I remember someone said 1,2, 4,5,6, 3.

I'd watch 4,5,6,4,5,6 :smugbert:

For reals, I'd do 4-6,1-3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zwille posted:

That just seems overly complicated for some pretty simple movies. Also I could see the stylistic changes being a little overwhelming if you mix and match the movies.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Schweinhund posted:

I'd watch 4,5,6,4,5,6 :smugbert:

For reals, I'd do 4-6,1-3.

Notsmug I'd do 4-5-6 and stop there. Read the wookiepedia summaries of 1-3 if you absolutely MUST know.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

I take it this is because Darth Vader proper isn't introduced until the third prequel, so you can still enjoy the shock of the "No, I am your father" reveal and yet still have some vestment in Luke's struggle against the man who :airquote: killed :airquote: his father?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

The Shining and Aliens. The latter's only exception was the first scene, which was the last to be filmed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Klungar posted:

I take it this is because Darth Vader proper isn't introduced until the third prequel, so you can still enjoy the shock of the "No, I am your father" reveal and yet still have some vestment in Luke's struggle against the man who :airquote: killed :airquote: his father?

It makes a certain amount of sense to watch the original story to the point that all the pieces are on the board and the conflicts are coming to a head, then flash back to watch how it all began, then the final denouement and victory of good over evil.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 16, 2010

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Shining and Aliens. The latter's only exception was the first scene, which was the last to be filmed.

The scene with the robot arm cutting torch/scanner deal? If I remember correctly, Cameron said he put up some of his own money for that scene in one of the DVD commentary tracks.

It was quite a bit to spend on one quick ten second gag that doesn't really add a whole lot to the film, but looking back it is a great way to kick the film off - here's a high-tech, expensive looking gizmo that does absolutely mundane work and is entirely unremarkable to the point of never being discussed in dialogue.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

haveblue posted:

It makes a certain amount of sense to watch the original story to the point that all the pieces are on the board and the conflicts are coming to a head, then flash back to watch how it all began, then the final denouement and victory of good over evil.

Yeah, I've heard people suggest 4,5 then 1,2,3 and top it off with 6, essentially making the prequel trilogy a sort of flashback.

I'd stick with the original trilogy though.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Wild T posted:

The scene with the robot arm cutting torch/scanner deal? If I remember correctly, Cameron said he put up some of his own money for that scene in one of the DVD commentary tracks.

It was quite a bit to spend on one quick ten second gag that doesn't really add a whole lot to the film, but looking back it is a great way to kick the film off - here's a high-tech, expensive looking gizmo that does absolutely mundane work and is entirely unremarkable to the point of never being discussed in dialogue.

I think he's referring to the scene of all the Marines waking up, which was filmed last so that the actors had a more natural sense of camaraderie together. According to IMDb, the rest of the movie wasn't shot in sequence though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this? posted:

Also the book mentions how the Union and other artiforg companies really manipulated people into getting artiforgs for trivial medical reasons.

Yea, I can see that.

"Hey, why use your natural eyes? You some kind of human being? Get new Artiforg eyes, only 300 easy payments of 30k!"

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

Peter Weir shot Dead Poets' Society sequentially, in order to get the actors to bond like real schoolkids would.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

The Ghost Writer

I assume that Ewan McGregor's character told the wife of the ex-Prime Minister at the very end he knew she was the CIA plant because they had already printed a bazillion copies of the book and the truth was written on every page and eventually everyone would find out? If not, he was an idiot. I assume he spent so much time running for his life, they just printed the dumb thing as is and he never got a real chance to edit/rewrite it?.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

ZenMaster posted:

The Ghost Writer

I assume that Ewan McGregor's character told the wife of the ex-Prime Minister at the very end he knew she was the CIA plant because they had already printed a bazillion copies of the book and the truth was written on every page and eventually everyone would find out? If not, he was an idiot. I assume he spent so much time running for his life, they just printed the dumb thing as is and he never got a real chance to edit/rewrite it?.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's meant to be implied that no one would find out about it. He was the only one who knew and the truth died with him.

And the reason he told her before going to the press or something is because it's a movie

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 16, 2010