Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

DholmbladRU posted:

Any advice on models with price range of $600.

I'm fond of MusiciansFriend because they're local to me, so that's just where I browse first. There's quite a bit in your price range if you look around, but frankly, it's a little lower-end than I'm really familiar with. That's not to say you can't get a lot of bang for your buck.

Behringer's "Euro" line is a good mid-level.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-E1220A-400W-12-Powered-Speaker?sku=582086

I don't know anything about these, but they've got roughly the same wattage as the above, but driving two 15" woofers, which should be good for bass.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-KPC215P-Dual-15-Powered-PA-Speaker?sku=485597

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
My brother just moved into a house with nearly every room and outside with built-in speakers. On the wall of every room is a knob which can turn on/off every individual speaker. All the cabling is run into the basement in the unfinished half behind a finished half where he now has his TV and mancave.

I have no idea how to go about hooking up a system like this. We're talking 10-12 speakers throughout the house, and 3 speakers surrounding the TV mount. If someone could please give me an idea of even where to start and can then define his desires better and figure out an ideal solution.

How do I hook up that many speakers into a single system?

EDIT:
It looks like I could get a multi zone receiver, but every zone has the ability to turn off and on the individual speakers. Furthermore, the TV be a separate zone(?)/source from the rest of the house... right?

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 12, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This sounds like it's actually 2 systems: a whole house audio thing and a home theater setup for the TV. For the basement drop he probably needs something like this to power them all. So a signal would run on zone two from the receiver to the amp in the basement for the other room speakers and connect directly to the front 3. Are there no rear speakers in the living room?

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

I'm fond of MusiciansFriend because they're local to me, so that's just where I browse first. There's quite a bit in your price range if you look around, but frankly, it's a little lower-end than I'm really familiar with. That's not to say you can't get a lot of bang for your buck.

Behringer's "Euro" line is a good mid-level.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-E1220A-400W-12-Powered-Speaker?sku=582086

I don't know anything about these, but they've got roughly the same wattage as the above, but driving two 15" woofers, which should be good for bass.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-KPC215P-Dual-15-Powered-PA-Speaker?sku=485597

Thank you for the suggestions. I have to check on funds, because in the past w have spent upwards of $1000.

Do you have any advice on how not to blow these speakers out? We purchased a pair of active PA speakers at about $500 a piece last year, someone who knew what he was doing researched/purchased. And within 6-8 months one of them had blown.

Mr Plow
Dec 31, 2004

I've connected my iPod to a Fender Frontman 25R amp through a 3.5 mm mini stereo to RCA cable through the amps two aux inputs.

My problem is that it just sounds bad, and I don't know why.

I've read some stuff about sound quality being poor through the headphone jack, and that I should instead buy an iPod dock and connect to the amp through there, but I've read other stuff saying that this is unnecessary and that the sound should be fine through the headphone jack. All I can say is that my music sounds great when I listen to it on my iPod through headphones, but sounds very rough when listening through the amp.

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong here?

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

I'm looking to buy a system that will be close to surround sound, but not 5.1, it's just not really an option. Instead, I was thinking of a sound bar, 2.1, or 3.1 system. My price range is $300 max but hopefully less than that. The room is rectangular, probably 20 feet by 14 feet. So which do you guys think is best, a sound bar (and a sub-woofer I guess), 2.1, or 3.1 system? If you have any particular models in mind, that would kick rear end too.

edit: for tv shows and movies only. Mostly tv though.

Rekkit fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 14, 2010

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
What's the main use? Music, games, movies?

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

What's the main use? Music, games, movies?

Regular tv and movies.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
I'm getting a completely new setup and went to Magnolia today to check out speakers and a receiver, in addition to a TV. After listening to a bunch of them, I was most impressed by Monitor Audio, but they were a bit pricier than I would have liked. I loved the Radius 90 HD, especially for their size and price, as rear speakers. The Rx6 seemed like good fronts and I tried two centers that I was both impressed by, but like I said, they were more expensive than I would have liked. I've got a co-worker who has B&W 600's (specifically DM601 S3 and DM600 S3) that he's selling for $500 and I'm kind of torn - the B&W are obviously much cheaper, but they don't look at all like what I want (the rear speakers are a bit big for my taste) and I have no idea what they sound like. I'll give them a listen before I purchase, but I won't exactly be able to compare them to the Monitor Audio ones. Any recommendations?

Edit: Main use is for games (360 and PS3) and secondarily HD movies and TV

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

qirex posted:

This sounds like it's actually 2 systems: a whole house audio thing and a home theater setup for the TV. For the basement drop he probably needs something like this to power them all. So a signal would run on zone two from the receiver to the amp in the basement for the other room speakers and connect directly to the front 3. Are there no rear speakers in the living room?

There are no rear speakers in the living room. Is something to directly power each unit required considering the speakers are able to be turned of remotely in each room? At any time only a few would ever be running anyway...

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, this might be a stupid question but everywhere else I've looked I've seen contradicting answers. One guy will say it's fine and another will say it will fry my receiver.

I have a fairly regular Sony receiver. A rather cheap one really, since I don't have a 7.1 speaker set or anything that fancy.

On the back it says by the speaker ports "Use Impedance 8-16 Ohms".

I also have these two Rockford Fosgate 6x9 speakers that have been boxed up to take regular speaker wire and be used with a home theater system (it was my crazy uncle's idea but they worked really well with his setup - he gave them to me because he upgraded)... but they're car speakers. I don't know what the impedance is because it's a model they don't make anymore, but I suspect they are 4 ohms since pretty much every Fosgate 6x9 I look up on the internet is 4 ohms.

If I plug these things in will I fry my receiver?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

If I plug these things in will I fry my receiver?

Maybe.

Detailed technical explanation of what is going on:

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

Do the math and see whether it's within the limits of your receiver.

Edit: as a rule of thumb, I wouldn't try to run 4 ohm speakers in a cheap 8 ohm receiver. It's too easy to accidentally blow it up unless you know the receiver can take it.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 17, 2010

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, I checked that out... and so basically, the 4 ohm speakers will draw more power than the 200W amplifier in this receiver is designed to push, right?

Now, does that apply no matter what the volume is? I mean, would it be safe at certain volumes but blow the amp up if I cranked it... or is the volume a moot point? In other words, is the amount of power drawn by the speakers constant?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

Ok, I checked that out... and so basically, the 4 ohm speakers will draw more power than the 200W amplifier in this receiver is designed to push, right?

Basically yes.

quote:

Now, does that apply no matter what the volume is?

Kinda sorta. To produce sound from a speaker element, it must vary the amount of power it draws constantly. The speaker draws more power every time you hear a bass beat, simply because it need that power to move the speaker cone. While the average power consumption of a speaker might be well within limits, the actual instantaneous power can jump over the limit constantly.

Of course, if you crank it up too loud you'll draw more power and risk damage sooner.

More nitty gritty tech details:

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Speakers.htm

l_th
Aug 9, 2005
So I'm trying to install/setup my home theater and need some advice on speaker placement since the room is a odd shape and even the TV is offset from the center of the room

Receiver is a Yamaha 665
Speakers are Polk Audio RM705

This is for a 5.1 setup

Here's the room layout

Click here for the full 787x809 image.

I've got some possible locations but I'm not really sure

I'm thinking of placing the sub in the rear on the room next to the couch. Is that doable?

Any suggestions for the rest of the speakers?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

In news that should be unsurprising to anyone:

quote:

Dear Friends:

It is with profound sadness that we are announcing the closing of AV123/Perpetual Technologies effective today.
http://www.av123.com/

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

qirex posted:

What "unfavorable events?" I vaguely remember getting a killer price on something from them. Maybe a Whirlwind QBox?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

What "unfavorable events?" I vaguely remember getting a killer price on something from them. Maybe a Whirlwind QBox?

The guy who ran it was running fake charity raffles and keeping all the money. They were already running pretty lean due to their whole "announce newer better products then not get any stock for 8 months, close out old models" business model.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

qirex posted:

It's vaguely upsetting that they went down. I really loved their products, my home theater and my computer system use their speakers. That poo poo Mark did was shady as all gently caress though.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
I was thinking of picking up a pair of Infinity Primus P362 floor speakers and PC350 center channel to replace my existing Onkyo speakers. Are there any other speakers I should look at in the same price range?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I am an ignorant fool and I have a really stupid question. Can someone please explain to me the concept of "sync" regarding portable music players (mp3 players) and my computer? I don't understand at all. What's the difference between syncing a device and simply copying a number of files (say, a few dozen music tracks in mp3 format) from my harddrive onto my mp3 player?

Also, is there a recommendation or discussion thread somewhere about music-playing software for my Windows 7 PC? Windows Media Player is really annoying to me, and the various free things I've tried have all been way too features-rich for me to just jump in and have my computer playing music for me.

What I'd like to be able to do is simply open the program, build a playlist from files on my harddrive, save that playlist, and play it (usually shuffled) when I'm washing dishes or otherwise not sitting directly in front of my computer. When I get new music, I'd like to be able to add it to the playlist, and I'd like to be able to edit the playlist in a way that allows selecting more than one file at a time (e.g. remove several directories at once). Any suggestions?

I've never tried iTunes, but I generally dislike Apple software and I doubt I'd be happy with it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Well, iTunes is actually pretty awesome for this with compatible players. Make a playlist, set that playlist to sync with your device, and it will track changes, adding or removing files the next time you plug it in.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

Well, iTunes is actually pretty awesome for this with compatible players. Make a playlist, set that playlist to sync with your device, and it will track changes, adding or removing files the next time you plug it in.
This is exactly what I DON'T want to do. I don't want anything doing anything automatically, ever. There's more music on my harddrive than will fit on my mp3 player, and my car stereo takes a USB stick. There's about 12 gigs on my computer, room for about 5 gigs on my mp3 player, and about 2 gigs on the car stereo. When I get bored with the music in the car, I bring the USB inside, wipe the files from it, and copy over new stuff - using Windows Explorer, not any media-playing software. The car stereo then plays all of the files on the USB stick, not some subset depending on how fast I want to drive. This is completely independent of the "play everything that's not comedy music" playlist that my computer would run 99% of the time.

The file list on the mp3 player will be a fraction of the files on my computer. I want the mp3 player to play the files it's carrying, and my computer to play the files it has. I don't tend to make lots of special little playlists for different moods or genres or whatever, just "play everything in random order" or "play the podcasts in sequential order" (which shouldn't require a playlist at all, just all of the podcasts in one folder).

\/\/\/ I know, and thank you for your help. From what you've said, can I infer "to sync" (verb) means "to compose identical playlists on two devices, assembling lists of songs that match" ? That puts me ahead of where I was, so progress is being made, I think.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 22, 2010

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
FYI, you're not the only person to have more music than your portable can hold. There are several easy ways up manage it, and iTunes can do a pretty good job.

Just saying.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

e: Nevermind

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 23, 2011

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

ExecuDork posted:

What I'd like to be able to do is simply open the program, build a playlist from files on my harddrive, save that playlist, and play it (usually shuffled) when I'm washing dishes or otherwise not sitting directly in front of my computer. When I get new music, I'd like to be able to add it to the playlist, and I'd like to be able to edit the playlist in a way that allows selecting more than one file at a time (e.g. remove several directories at once). Any suggestions?

Based on this paragraph here I'm going to suggest Winamp, but not the new, bloated, awful versions of winamp. The one I'm still using you can get off Oldversion.com, and it has all the functionality you're looking for, while staying simple.

edit: I have no idea if this will work on Windows 7, I'm still using XP Pro :ohdear:

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Jadaris posted:

Based on this paragraph here I'm going to suggest Winamp, but not the new, bloated, awful versions of winamp. The one I'm still using you can get off Oldversion.com, and it has all the functionality you're looking for, while staying simple.

edit: I have no idea if this will work on Windows 7, I'm still using XP Pro :ohdear:

You can deselect any new bloat on newer versions of Winamp. Been like this for years. It will look/work just like the 2.whatever versions.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
I’m a grad student whose office is a classroom that is otherwise being used for storage. I have 5W PC speakers set up for my laptop, but they aren’t cutting it for a room that size. Another grad student has found some speakers in storage, but I don’t have an amp to drive them. What is the cheapest way to drive them (especially buying used)?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Nomenclature posted:

I’m a grad student whose office is a classroom that is otherwise being used for storage. I have 5W PC speakers set up for my laptop, but they aren’t cutting it for a room that size. Another grad student has found some speakers in storage, but I don’t have an amp to drive them. What is the cheapest way to drive them (especially buying used)?
That really depends on the speakers.

If they are not humongous and are decently efficient you could get a T-Amp or something, else a cheap AudioSource AMP-100 will drive pretty much anything realistically in a small space. I assume space is a concern.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Sniep posted:

That really depends on the speakers.

If they are not humongous and are decently efficient you could get a T-Amp or something, else a cheap AudioSource AMP-100 will drive pretty much anything realistically in a small space. I assume space is a concern.
I haven't seen the speakers yet, but I'll try to get a look tomorrow.

Space isn't a concern. I have a whole classroom to find a place to stick the setup. As a grad student, price is the only concern.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Nomenclature posted:

I haven't seen the speakers yet, but I'll try to get a look tomorrow.

Space isn't a concern. I have a whole classroom to find a place to stick the setup. As a grad student, price is the only concern.

Oh, okay, somehow I misread classroom for dormroom, apologies.

In that case if you haven't even seen them, cross your fingers that they are self-powered PA speakers. It's possible. Otherwise it still really helps to know what they are before telling you what kind of gear is needed to power them adequately.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Been searching for a while but there seem to be different names for similar devices in the UK/USA so I'm having trouble wrapping my head around HDMI-Audio connections apart from the expensive ones.

What's the cheapest way to go from HDMI out to two separate devices? one is a monitor/TV with HDMI & DVI in. The other is an old 5.1 speaker set with 3x 3.5mm input jacks. Front, rear and centre/sub.
Is the only option really a £300+ home cinema STB?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
i have a harman kardon avr20II receiver that was working beautifully until this afternoon. it lives in my vehicles trunk powering a pair of tower speakers because i'm a cheap gently caress and got it for free. the normally green led for the power button is now red and the unit will not power on. i opened it up, destaticified myself and checked all four fuses (there may be more but i saw no others) with my DMM - they're all good. no water has leaked into the trunk and i keep it relatively well secured and protected from most shocks (road and electrical).

any ideas on whats wrong or what i should check next?

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 27, 2010

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

Sniep posted:

Oh, okay, somehow I misread classroom for dormroom, apologies.

In that case if you haven't even seen them, cross your fingers that they are self-powered PA speakers. It's possible. Otherwise it still really helps to know what they are before telling you what kind of gear is needed to power them adequately.
It turns out, the inventory auditor got to the speakers first, but thanks anyway.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm really not sure where this can go. I'm trying to be able to play my 360 on my Monitor, and so far it's going great. I have DVI output (input?) for my computer, and HDMI for my 360. The problem is I'm trying to get is sound to play for my 360.

I'm using a H233H Monitor and I'm not really sure how to plug it up to give me sound.

On the back I see DVI, VGA, HDMI and Audio In, though I'm stupid I tried plugging in my speaker to the Audio In and it did nothing. I think I need to get a USB Headset or an adapter to plug in an audio jack to USB. Do you guys know anything on this issue? Or do you know a better place to ask this?

Edit: The specs on the monitor say there are speakers on it, but I can't seem to find the option for it.

Edit2: Fixed. While there isn't any options for it if you go under Menu options, the arrow buttons default as a volume setting and I'm stupid for not remembering this. I guess this wasn't the place to ask, but it didn't seem to fit in the Monitor megathread if I had to do something with by xbox 360 or any other cabling.

I'm going to leave up the problem and my answer for those who wish to mock me or have the same problem.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 29, 2010

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So, downfiring versus 'front facing' subwoofers, what's the difference if any? I'm specifically looking at the subs featured on Ascend Acoustics since I've been very happy with my Sierra-1 speakers from them as well as a receiver they suggested, but if anyone has a different recommendation I'm all ears. My priority is for quality of sound before quantity, I'm in an apartment so I couldn't really shake the walls either way.

Right now I'm rocking a $90 sub from Circuit City, and while it is a drat fine sub for 90bux it is the weak link in my system right now. Any info or other recommendations are appreciated in advance :)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Jadaris posted:

Awesomeness, thanks! I just downloaded it, seems to work just fine in Windows 7. I'll mess around with it over the next couple of days, but first glance it looks as basic and unobtrusive as I want.

Also, as a fellow grad student - need big dumb speakers? Check out your pawn shops, and work your way down-market to the thrift stores. You should be able to get something capable of filling a classroom for less than $30.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jadaris posted:

I used WinAmp for many years, from like 96 or something until it got too big for its britches and started trying to be an all round media player. I've had better luck using individual apps that are good at the one thing that they are for, and for music I've moved on to foobar2000. It's not quite as user friendly / intuitive as WinAmp was but it will easily do everything Dork asked about more efficiently than any other music program I've tried.

mynameisbutt
Jun 19, 2007

Special persons invites club, that is what I'm talkings about!
I have a USB turntable that only has RCA and phono outputs and I have it hooked up to a really lovely setup with an old receiver from 1979 and two crap speakers. The sound is terrible, and when the volume control gets fiddled with it makes a lot of fuzz and the sound only comes out of one speaker or the other until I have it in just the right spot, which is either too loud or too quiet to listen to.

I'm looking to upgrade, but I don't want to spend a ton of money, something in the $70-180 range works for my purposes. I realize that this will not buy me something fantastic, but at this point I'm just desperate for a solution so I can listen to my records again.

Is there anything out there I can hook my turntable up to that doesn't require me to purchase a $300 receiver and speakers or a whole home theater system? I've been searching and searching but this is the only solution I've been able to find (with what little knowledge I have about audio).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

mynameisbutt posted:

I have a USB turntable that only has RCA and phono outputs and I have it hooked up to a really lovely setup with an old receiver from 1979 and two crap speakers. The sound is terrible, and when the volume control gets fiddled with it makes a lot of fuzz and the sound only comes out of one speaker or the other until I have it in just the right spot, which is either too loud or too quiet to listen to.

I'm looking to upgrade, but I don't want to spend a ton of money, something in the $70-180 range works for my purposes. I realize that this will not buy me something fantastic, but at this point I'm just desperate for a solution so I can listen to my records again.

Is there anything out there I can hook my turntable up to that doesn't require me to purchase a $300 receiver and speakers or a whole home theater system? I've been searching and searching but this is the only solution I've been able to find (with what little knowledge I have about audio).

It sounds like the volume pot/switches need to be cleaned. You can try using some Deoxit to clean it up: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104746&CAWELAID=107597316
Here's a really good writeup on how to use it: http://mail.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

If that doesn't work, you can get a new used receiver from Craigslist, or here's a few new options in your price range:
http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX4109-2-Channel-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B000MBUSD6/ref=pd_cp_e_1
http://www.amazon.com/Teac-AG790A-AG-790A-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B000A6PTHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283203377&sr=8-1
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8255/Onkyo/TX-8255-50-watts-2-channel-Stereo-Receiver/1.html

You should be able to use your current speakers for the time being.

BattleHork fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 30, 2010