Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

ZoCrowes posted:

All my film bodies

What lens is that on the k1000? it looks huge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Do any of you know if it's possible to buy any remaining Kodachrome that isn't expired by 10+ years? Even if I just buy one roll... time is running out, I would like to get one done just for the hell of it.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mannequin posted:

Do any of you know if it's possible to buy any remaining Kodachrome that isn't expired by 10+ years? Even if I just buy one roll... time is running out, I would like to get one done just for the hell of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Rolls-KODACHROME-64-Kodak-Select-24-Exp-Outdated-/330459862613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 ?

edit: Fixed

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 14, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Your link doesn't work, buddy.

Edit: Thanks. I was checking ebay last night, but I was finding everything from 2002 and 1989. Not sure what I was doing wrong? :confused: Is it okay if it's that old? I was hoping for something not yet expired or just freshly expired. If it doesn't make a difference I'll buy it.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 14, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mannequin posted:

Your link doesn't work, buddy.

Fine <:mad:>

Fresher link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodachrome-64-35mm-36-exp-Slide-Film-05-2007-/120608207071
5 packs of 2007 expired Kodachrome 64 36 exp http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Rolls-Kodachrome-64-35mm-36-exp-Slide-Film-05-2007-/120608577745

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 14, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress.. Time IS running out, isn't it?

Maybe it's time to pull out the 35mm equipment again and just do a roll before I regret it for the rest of my life :(

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Beautiful. The fed 2 is one of the prettiest FSUs of that line.

Yeah actually part of the reason I bought it was for how nice it looked.

Spedman - It's a Vivitar 75-205 f/3.6. It's a gorgeous lens with push pull zoom and amazing manual focus. I wish there was some way to convert it to F mount.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
If I shoot some tri-x 400 @ 400 and some on the same roll at 1600, how do I develop that? Or would I have to next time just shoot it all at 1600 or all at 400 to ease the development process?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Mannequin posted:

If I shoot some tri-x 400 @ 400 and some on the same roll at 1600, how do I develop that? Or would I have to next time just shoot it all at 1600 or all at 400 to ease the development process?

You should shoot it all the same, but you can also snip the roll prior to developing if you're feeling adventurous.

If you're GOING to develop two different ISOs on one roll, you should develop for the higher one (1600) which is a two-stop push. Forget about ever getting a decent scan of the 400 ISO shots, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were salvageable in the darkroom, albeit pretty heavily grainy. That would be a perfect example of when split-filter printing is a good technique.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Or you could develop the whole roll in Diafine and shoot that tri-x anywhere from 200-6400 in good light and to 1600 in dim light.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've developed 400 at 1600 mistakenly before and recovered most of the detail. With Delta-400 it wasn't even overly grainy.

Reichstag posted:

Or you could develop the whole roll in Diafine and shoot that tri-x anywhere from 200-6400 in good light and to 1600 in dim light.

Can you expand on this? How does it work?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

I found a really good discussion of both the chemistry and the practicalities here. I intend to buy some the next time I put in a Freestyle order, it sounds useful.

The other developer I'm really curious about is Pyrocat-HD.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Well, I went out and shot a roll of tri-x tonight. Kept it at 400, next time I'll experiment with pushing it to 1600.

I didn't think I would go through the whole role, it normally takes me weeks to get through 36 exposures, but I had fun. I snuck into an abandoned building in town where they are doing construction and climbed up on the roof (about 4 stories up), and took some pictures of the town below. A cop drove by just as I was up there, I got really nervous for a sec but I guess he didn't see me and kept on driving. Then I got out of there and took some pictures of some store fronts and other things.

Here's my partner in crime:

Now I have to figure out how to develop this stuff. :)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Just received this last week in the mail, Japanese third cousin to my zorki C. The shutter is disturbingly quiet, and the winding action is considerably smoother. I had the chance to do some shooting in downtown L.A. today and was impressed by the usefulness of the built in magnification switch on the viewfinder window.

The main drawback is the weird shutter speed progression (60, 100, 200, 500, 1000) and squinty finder.

2010 08 12 162 by sushisteve, on Flickr

2010 08 12 169 by sushisteve, on Flickr

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Martytoof posted:

Paul Muaddib's article is an excellent write up of how it works.

Diafine is an arcane and black magick. But it's really nice to use since it lasts forever and is pretty much time, temperature and ISO agnostic.

I developed 4 rolls of film in a single tank that were shot accordingly:

ISO 100 shot @ 400
ISO 400 shot @ 400
ISO 400 shot @ 800
ISO 400 shot @ 1600

It took five minutes in Bath A, five minutes in Bath B and 5 minutes in my fixer. Ta-da!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

Paul Muaddib's article is an excellent write up of how it works.

Diafine is an arcane and black magick. But it's really nice to use since it lasts forever and is pretty much time, temperature and ISO agnostic.

I developed 4 rolls of film in a single tank that were shot accordingly:

ISO 100 shot @ 400
ISO 400 shot @ 400
ISO 400 shot @ 800
ISO 400 shot @ 1600

It took five minutes in Bath A, five minutes in Bath B and 5 minutes in my fixer. Ta-da!

I have some Diafine but haven't mixed it up yet. poo poo sounds like black magic.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I have some Diafine but haven't mixed it up yet. poo poo sounds like black magic.

I believe Diafine is what one of the local labs uses to do all their B&W developing. I don't know if it's Diafine specifically, but it's one of the "universal" B&W developers that allows a dozen different emulsions to be thrown in the same batch.
Personally I don't like the results it produces. The mids are too flat, and the grain gets way swelled. The result is a neg that absolutely REFUSES to scan, and still doesn't look so great as a print. I avoid the stuff, but obviously other people are getting acceptable results here so YMMV.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't find the stuff anywhere locally, but if I do I'd definitely try it. I can likely make it look like most anything I want in post anyway, so the main draw is that I can theoretically shoot all those speeds.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Is there an ideal developer for scan-friendly negs?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

^^^No idea, but I don't worry about it too much these days since B&W is meant to be printed, not scanned. :colbert:
But if I were to take a guess, Tri-X in Dilution B HC-110 would have some pretty fine grain for scanning.

Martytoof posted:

I can't find the stuff anywhere locally, but if I do I'd definitely try it. I can likely make it look like most anything I want in post anyway, so the main draw is that I can theoretically shoot all those speeds.

The point is that for me they scanned SO POORLY that it wasnt salvageable. They didn't even look so great as a print.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Was going through my bookmarklets and came across this article on negative preservation: http://cool.conservation-us.org/byauth/messier/negrmcc.html

The short of it is; you can expect your negatives to last about 50 years if you store them at room temperature. In that case, it's better to keep them ventilated (they exude gases that accelerate the decomposition process). On the other hand, a freezer is supposed to last a lot longer, more like 1000 years, in which case you're better off storing them in ziploc bags.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Apparently Rollei has a couple of new film scanners out. They look like the same old single-strip film scanners that have been around for ages. Seeing as Rollei doesn't really make anything themselves anymore, I'm assuming these are just rebranded scanners?

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/rollei_df-s_190_se/
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/rollei_df-s_120_se/

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

HPL posted:

Apparently Rollei has a couple of new film scanners out. They look like the same old single-strip film scanners that have been around for ages. Seeing as Rollei doesn't really make anything themselves anymore, I'm assuming these are just rebranded scanners?

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/rollei_df-s_190_se/
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/rollei_df-s_120_se/

Wow, those are both pretty fast if the blurb is to be believed. Not a bad price either. It sure would be nice to get a neg scanner with support for post-XP OS's...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

McMadCow posted:

Wow, those are both pretty fast if the blurb is to be believed. Not a bad price either. It sure would be nice to get a neg scanner with support for post-XP OS's...

I'm assuming it's just a small camera sensor with a lens fixed at f/8 or something like that. I wonder what kind of dynamic range it will have? And I hope it doesn't spit out only JPGs.

Also, am I a bad man for wanting a Lomo Spinner 360? I like panoramas and it would be cool to be able to make quick and dirty ones.

HPL fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 19, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Is there an ideal developer for scan-friendly negs?

What does this mean exactly? You can't scan b&w negatives?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Mannequin posted:

What does this mean exactly? You can't scan b&w negatives?

Nah. There was some talk (McMadCow) about Diafine making unscannable negatives, so if there's a bad developer for scanning, I was wondering if there was an ideal developer at the other side. I've only used D76 and Rodinal so far, both seemed to work pretty well for it.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 19, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Oh okay. I haven't developed any film since my jr. high photography class, so I'm a little rusty on the terms and techniques.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Nah. There was some talk about Diafine making unscannable negatives, so if there's a bad developer for scanning, I was wondering if there was an ideal developer at the other side. I've only used D76 and Rodinal so far, both seemed to work pretty well for it.

Out of curiosity, what would make a negative "unscannable" in one developer versus another? It's still the same salt deposited in similar densities, or else it would just be a bad negative. I can understand some minor variations in things like actuance, but something major that yields a printable yet unscannable negative seems improbable.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Out of curiosity, what would make a negative "unscannable" in one developer versus another? It's still the same salt deposited in similar densities, or else it would just be a bad negative. I can understand some minor variations in things like actuance, but something major that yields a printable yet unscannable negative seems improbable.

It's basically that the grain is so swollen and the tones are so different from where the scanner expects to see them that it doesn't know how to interpret it and it returns a muddy mess. The mids dominate everywhere there should be more contrast, and true black is almost nowhere to be found. It isn't that it's a bad negative necessarily (although it still isn't very good to print in a darkroom), but that it doesn't scan in a way that is representative of how it would look as a print. This is why I disagreed when someone said they'd fix it in Photoshop. The levels are so wrong it just never looks good.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, Diafine sure gives me unscannable negs without proper contrast.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Yeah pretty sure I mentioned several times that it hasn't worked out for me but nowhere made a claim that it was a universal rule.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Diafine is really funny. If you shoot it in flat lighting things get muddy fast. I tend to shoot at box speed or lower in low contrast situations.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
What would dorkroom recommend for flat lighting then? Film / developer combination

Living in England there are a lot of cloudy days

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Zegnar posted:

What would dorkroom recommend for flat lighting then? Film / developer combination

I always recommend HC-110

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zegnar posted:

Rodinal's always worked pretty well for me but stand development takes too loving long. Tri-x/Arista Premium 400 is extremely versatile.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Zegnar posted:

I'm in San Fran where I shoot under fog/clouds 300 days a year. I shoot Tri-X and Plus-X, both pulled slightly and developed in XTOL.
Keep in mind, I prefer overcast skies to hard light. A slightly flat negative is easy to work with in the darkroom.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Thanks, was gonna try this rebadged Tri-X soon anyway so just gives me another reason to hit the buy button :)

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Does anyone do acros & hc-110? I swear the times listed on digitaltruth are off as all of my shots look like they've been pushed an extra stop. unless it's super temperature sensitive between 68-72 F?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

Does anyone do acros & hc-110? I swear the times listed on digitaltruth are off as all of my shots look like they've been pushed an extra stop. unless it's super temperature sensitive between 68-72 F?

I've never used that combination, but when the table calls for a certain temperature, I use that temp and not 1 more or less. If you're letting your temps wander between batches that could account for it.

Also, the fact of the matter is, you need to test your film. Any place you see a developing table, it's a good place to START. Every camera/lens combo is going to be different and you need to tweak it for your gear to get the best results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Watch your agitation too. Too much or too vigorous agitation will blow out stuff too.