Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Red posted:

Crystal Skull ... which is the weakest of the four films, yes, but not a terrible movie.

This. It's not a terrible movie.

It's the loving worst movie. Not of the Indy films. Not just of Spielberg's career. No. Of all the movies. Ever.

It's worse than Underground Comedy Movie. Or Epic Movie. It made me stop believing in the good of mankind. There is only a dead, bleak and unfeeling husk of what was once my soul after seeing Shia Labouef swinging on vines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah but it had 3d animals and a flying refrigerator, that has got to count for something right?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Jesus Christ, what a sad disappointment about the Star Wars release.

I think some German broadcast did the three "original" films in HD some time ago.....

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I said come in! posted:

And I don't understand why they are including episodes 1 - 3 in the package. No one wants that poo poo.

I do :(

You might as well get all six movies.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Volcasarus ReX posted:

They are all pretty much the same thing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Yeah but it had 3d animals and a flying refrigerator, that has got to count for something right?

The vine-swinging and fridge-nuking made me long for the love scenes in Attack of the Clones.

(also, I blame the entirety of all the suffering the world has ever known on a cruel god punishing us, even preemptively, for allowing a film to have the rubber snake/quicksand gag that went on way longer than it should have)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Let's just end the Crystal Skull argument right here and say "this is what can happen to even the best ideas when you have a half-dozen writers rewriting everything and inserting their own ideas into it". The final David Koepp draft is some monstrous amalgamation of like five previous drafts (1 Boam/1 Darabont/1 Lucas re-write of Darabont's/2 Nathanson ones). The tone's so horribly inconsistent and the character goes in and out of self-parody so often there's no dramatic weight to any of the action.

Now how about them shiny high-definition discs, fellas

(by the way, the intended audience for the Star Wars movies - kids! - love the prequels, so deal with it)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you honestly think Crystal Skull is the worst movie ever. then you must watch one movie a year starting in 2008.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Cameo posted:

(by the way, the intended audience for the Star Wars movies - kids! - love the prequels, so deal with it)

Know what else was a kid's movie? Toy Story, Wall-E, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Spongebob, Muppets Take Manhattan, etc.

And you know what? They were great. Just because a lovely director used a lovely excuse after people called his movie lovely doesn't mean it's above judgment.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you honestly think Crystal Skull is the worst movie ever. then you must watch one movie a year starting in 2008.

This is a dumb argument. Why can Crystal Skull NOT be someone's least liked movie, and why is the date of its release relevant?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
There is a difference between don't like and worst movie ever made but hey, let's not be reasonable when hyperbole works too.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There is a difference between don't like and worst movie ever made but hey, let's not be reasonable when hyperbole works too.

Can you sleep better at night if you imagined I prefaced it with "in my opinion".

Or is it impossible to hold an opinion on a movie? Or worse, maybe use a dash of over-the-top hyperbole in mocking it? :ohdear:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

God, shut the hell up about Crystal Skull, you boring fucks.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

FitFortDanga posted:

I agree. We should be talking about the Indiana Jones trilogy.

(And Alien Resurrection, which has not received an appropriate amount of vitriol yet)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FitFortDanga posted:

Seriously, jesus christ. Every forum I go to somehow gets into a loving argument aout Crystal Skull (even the loving LP forum!). Just shut up about it.

People like movies you don't. Stop getting defensive if you don't, and stop acting like you're better because you do.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

I said come in! posted:

And I don't understand why they are including episodes 1 - 3 in the package. No one wants that poo poo.

I kind of want to see the prequels in HD... I'm morbidly curious to see how lovely all that CGI will look.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Ein Bear posted:

I kind of want to see the prequels in HD... I'm morbidly curious to see how lovely all that CGI will look.

I didn't really hate the prequels so I wouldn't have any issue with them sitting on my shelf.

My philosophy on movies is they are supposed to entertain you for however long they are. I really can't stand how people act all high and mighty now and can't just enjoy a movie for what it is. Not every movie has to have some deep life changing meaning to it. Sometimes explosions are just cool!

Although I don't like every movie I watch I never really see the point in whinning about it on a forum (no offense to those that do), it's not like the directors or any of the actors really care about what Nate from Frederick Md thinks of their movie anyways.

Sometimes I think some people just need to shut up and watch the drat movie and not complain about stupid things. Hence the fact I'm now going to shut up ;)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Well for the prequels we've had threads explaining why they are terrible, to the point of just not being very enjoyable to watch. I would be happy with just being able to pick up episodes IV - VI. Those are three of my favorite movies, especially the Empire Strikes Back.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Ein Bear posted:

I can't see how it would possibly work, seeing that all that poo poo's way blurrier than it should be.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I do :(

But the most recent movies are crap. I don't want them.

Edit: I am willing to buy the drat Alien set which has 2 movies I won't bother watching, but I can't really justify buying SW Eps 1-3.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 15, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
If there is no option for just the OT I'll give the prequels to someone I really hate. Take that.

Fantabulero
Apr 28, 2009

POP, POP!

TheBuilder posted:

Jesus Christ, what a sad disappointment about the Star Wars release.

This is something that would have upset me a few years ago, but now I can't muster up anything more than mild disappointment. I used to love the poo poo out of Star Wars, but it's been drained out of me. For the sake of ridiculous hyperbole, it's like getting over a hard breakup... George doesn't want me to have the movies I loved, I can't change that, so I have to accept it and move on. There are other, better movies out there anyway.

On that note: I'm kind of tempted to switch up to Blu-ray for Firefly and Serenity (I have both on DVD). To those who have it: is the Firefly set worth the upgrade? Obviously it'll look nicer than up-converted DVD, but is it enough to justify dropping $50?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Fantabulero posted:

On that note: I'm kind of tempted to switch up to Blu-ray for Firefly and Serenity (I have both on DVD). To those who have it: is the Firefly set worth the upgrade? Obviously it'll look nicer than up-converted DVD, but is it enough to justify dropping $50?
Everything live action looks great and all of the space shots that are 100% cg are passable-to-good. However, in the shots where there's 1 CG element among everything else live action, those cg elements look pretty rough. It's an unfortunate side effect of the way things were rendered, but by and large the show is definitely worth the upgrade if you're a big fan.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

El Jackalope posted:

But the most recent movies are crap. I don't want them.

Edit: I am willing to buy the drat Alien set which has 2 movies I won't bother watching, but I can't really justify buying SW Eps 1-3.

Like someone said earlier you will probably have to wait another five years for Lucas to release just the original trilogy on blu. I like the idea below of just giving them to someone. Maybe you have a friend that is thinking of adopting the format and you can look like a great friend by giving him 3 FREE blurays.

Also I went and saw Scott Pilgrim today, and I'm really looking forward to that bluray release. I think if they do the bonus features right there is a lot of good material from the movie for a more in depth behind the scenes look.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ein Bear posted:

I've seen them in HD (I think HBO did HD broadcasts of them), and it's "meh". If you're not looking for it most of the problems aren't going to jump out at you but there's quite a few places where the soft outlines of the actors are very visible against the cgi backgrounds.

And the Phantom Menace looked like total poo poo. It's soft and blurry to the point you'd almost think it was a DVD upscale. I have no idea if that's an accident with the broadcast, or if the master is just that loving soft.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Crackbone posted:

I've seen them in HD (I think HBO did HD broadcasts of them), and it's "meh". If you're not looking for it most of the problems aren't going to jump out at you but there's quite a few places where the soft outlines of the actors are very visible against the cgi backgrounds.

And the Phantom Menace looked like total poo poo. It's soft and blurry to the point you'd almost think it was a DVD upscale. I have no idea if that's an accident with the broadcast, or if the master is just that loving soft.

Also the possibility that it was just a DVD upscale since it was a TV broadcast.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ControlledBurn posted:

Also the possibility that it was just a DVD upscale since it was a TV broadcast.

It was better than a DVD upscale, but not by much. Also, TPM was not shot digitally while the other two were - it matches up with the visual quality difference I saw. It certainly wouldn't make much sense for Lucasfilm to give the movie channels 2 of the three in HD and the other in a DVD resolution.

Not that I'm all the concerned about it - all three are pretty worthless films and buying the blurays is not in my future.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
I had all six Star Wars films recorded from CinemaxHD (only aired a few times in late-2006, I believe) saved on my DVR for about three years, until that DVR eventually crashed and I lost them all.

The Original Trilogy looked absolutely incredible in HD. It was like seeing those movies again for the first time. Everyone I showed them to said they looked more like those movies were filmed a couple of years ago rather than 25 or 30.

There was definitely something different and "off" about TPM. I don't think it got a full HD remaster treatment like the OT did, and they evidently already had HD masters of AOTC and ROTS since they were filmed digitally in the first place. So not only was the picture quality of TPM completely out of place in comparison to the other prequels, but it even looked quite a bit worse than the OT films. I would hope they'd have a new HD master for TPM to use for the Blu-ray release, or it'll stick out like a sore thumb even more than it does already.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I see that The Conversation is a getting a new DVD release next week, but no Blu-ray as well? Why?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bmmello posted:

I see that The Conversation is a getting a new DVD release next week, but no Blu-ray as well? Why?

What I heard, The Coversation is suppose to be released on Blu-Ray after Apocalyptic Now.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

bmmello posted:

It's coming out after Apocalypse Now.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

bmmello posted:

Lionsgate is distributing some of Paramount's smaller catalog titles. This is just a re-release of the Paramount disc on the Lionsgate label.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

George Lucas you motherfucker. Not that I'm even slightly surprised that they would only release the special edition versions. Its astounding to me that he can be so willfully ignorant about what the audience wants. Thanks to his ego, the people who would otherwise be first in line to buy these blurays wont be buying them at all. I wish I could even hope that the sales for this set will suck but people on the whole will probably buy it regardless.

gently caress you George Lucas.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

George Lucas you motherfucker. Not that I'm even slightly surprised that they would only release the special edition versions. Its astounding to me that he can be so willfully ignorant about what the audience wants. Thanks to his ego, the people who would otherwise be first in line to buy these blurays wont be buying them at all. I wish I could even hope that the sales for this set will suck but people on the whole will probably buy it regardless.

gently caress you George Lucas.

I don't think ignorance is to blame here.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

morestuff posted:

I don't think ignorance is to blame here.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying its willful ignorance based on his ego not being able to handle that people hate the special editions. In reality, yes its probably a mix of greed (years from now they'll finally release the correct blurays) and a passive-aggressive 'gently caress-you' to the fans.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So in case you don't follow the Criterion thread, in November they will be releasing Antichrist, Night of the Hunter, Chaplin's Modern Times, and a six-disc box set containing the following seven films:
Head
Easy Rider
Five Easy Pieces
Drive, He Said
A Safe Place
The Last Picture Show
The King of Marvin Gardens

edit: One of my favorite movies of all time - Papillon - is getting an Australian release September 8 :woop:

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 16, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying its willful ignorance based on his ego not being able to handle that people hate the special editions. In reality, yes its probably a mix of greed (years from now they'll finally release the correct blurays) and a passive-aggressive 'gently caress-you' to the fans.

There's a fine line between "greed" and "calculated business tactics." You don't want to take money out of the hands of America's future, do you?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Fantabulero posted:

Serenity definitely, Firefly no unless it's on sale.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
Lucas knows exactly what his audience wants. He just knows that everyone will still buy the Special Editions, and then he can release the originals a few years later.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

From the James Cameron penises Aliens thread:

Xenomrph posted:

Buckle up folks, here's some info from James Cameron regarding the new 'Aliens' blu-ray release.

* Cameron personally remastered Aliens with the same colourist he used on Avatar. In his words, it’s spectacular.
* They de-noised it, de-grained it, up-rezed it and colour corrected every single frame.
* He thinks it looks better than it looked in theatres.
* This was done to the Special Edition.

:tviv:

Credit to AvPGalaxy.net for the heads up. :)

I don't like bullet point number two. That could be a pretty lovely bullet point. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out, but apart from color-correction with a good colorist, the rest of that sounds like it could be wax-personizing, detail-stripping, and sharpening, which would all kinda suck rear end. Don't want to get too bummed about it before it actually hits and we have an idea of what it looks like, though. I expressed some hope in that thread and will repeat here - surely if Cameron is personally overseeing the process, he wouldn't allow his movie to be butchered, would he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In that interview he seems really excited about how the new look of the movie turned out. I'll withhold judgment until some screenshots pop up.

• Locked thread