Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tharax posted:

i played this game for PC between doom2 and halflife1. it was a FPshooter, half the missions were played from the point of view of a human, and half as if you controlled a mechwarrior type-robot. it kept flicking between the two.

i think it was called something like "shogun" or shogu or shotgun. i remember i pronounced it like showgirls to my friends, and at that age they teased me about it.

i also remember most of the guns were variants of machine guns (standard shooter stuff) and some of them had incredible rates of fire.

Shogo Mobile Armor Division, I'm assuming. If its not I'm gonna be drat confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Capilarean posted:

I've got a bit of an obscure one. It's an old game,2D isometric strategy/RPG game,where you played this wizard guy and a big point of the game was that you could summon monsters to fight for you. That's about all I remember aside from the fact that your health was represented by a character portrait and there was a bit of a gimmick where the portrait would age as you progressed in the game.

This could be any of the Druid series of games, which are Druid, Druid II: Enlightenment and Warlock: The Avenger

The only game that has a face anywhere in the UI is Warlock, however it's not the actual health meter as I remember it.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Cosmo Clock 21 posted:

Here's a weird one. Today upon going home I find some crumpled pieces of paper on my desk with cheat codes from various N64 games. This one has been giving me trouble as to which game it's from. As I apparently wrote years ago:

code:
PAD: Z B cU D, STICK: L R,
PAD: U [R] Z A

Snowboard Kids 2. That cheat unlocks every character, board, and level.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Keru posted:

This could be any of the Druid series of games, which are Druid, Druid II: Enlightenment and Warlock: The Avenger

The only game that has a face anywhere in the UI is Warlock, however it's not the actual health meter as I remember it.

No,that's not it. Looks interesting,though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This is probably super obscure: it was an action-adventure/survival horror game in 3D set in England in a mythical time where evil has taken over the land, yadda, yadda, yadda. Excalibur and some other Arthurian stuff features prominently in it. It was bastard hard, was played primarily with the numpad instead of a more sensible WASD configuration, and I got either the demo or the full game off the cover disc of some French gaming mag back in the middle or late 90s.

The most important detail is this: it looked and played a lot like BioForge, to the point where I wonder if it wasn't on the same engine - but I couldn't see it anywhere on Origin System's wiki entry and there's no page for BioForge's engine.

e; gently caress yeah, found it. It was Ecstatica, half of what I remembered about it was wrong, and I only found it because I figured someone would mention BioForge in the comments on any potential video so I searched for BioForge and eventually found it on page 5.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 7, 2010

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

yanthrax posted:

Was this any of the Might and Magic games?

Nope. Better graphics than the earlier ones (1 and 2), much, much more plain graphical style than the latter ones.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Saint Septimus posted:

Snowboard Kids 2. That cheat unlocks every character, board, and level.

Makes sense, since I only ever rented the game.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Ansob. posted:

This is probably super obscure: it was an action-adventure/survival horror game in 3D set in England in a mythical time where evil has taken over the land, yadda, yadda, yadda. Excalibur and some other Arthurian stuff features prominently in it. It was bastard hard, was played primarily with the numpad instead of a more sensible WASD configuration, and I got either the demo or the full game off the cover disc of some French gaming mag back in the middle or late 90s.

The most important detail is this: it looked and played a lot like BioForge, to the point where I wonder if it wasn't on the same engine - but I couldn't see it anywhere on Origin System's wiki entry and there's no page for BioForge's engine.

e; gently caress yeah, found it. It was Ecstatica, half of what I remembered about it was wrong, and I only found it because I figured someone would mention BioForge in the comments on any potential video so I searched for BioForge and eventually found it on page 5.

Haha, goddamn that game looks ridiculous in terms of both graphics AND gameplay.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

These Loving Eyes posted:

Haha, goddamn that game looks ridiculous in terms of both graphics AND gameplay.

I think it looks better than Alone in the Dark, but early survival horror in general is not a pretty sight. Were there ever any games other than this and that awful fighting game Ballz to make use of this graphical style?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Morpheus posted:

Nope. Better graphics than the earlier ones (1 and 2), much, much more plain graphical style than the latter ones.
I'm pretty sure I know which game you're trying to think of, but I can't think of the loving name either. Was the first dungeon level actually a sewer? Did the textures of the houses in the town have that middle ages look? White/off white stucco with wood beams running through it?

EDIT: This isn't the game I was thinking of, but came across it trying to find it. Might what you're looking for be Realms of Arkania?

EDIT: Found the one I was looking for: Acients 1: Deathwatch?

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 7, 2010

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

These Loving Eyes posted:

For its time it actually had really good graphics and animations, plus it was a pretty decent game to boot.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
I don't remember much about the game but it was a first person RPG that came in a collection. The graphics were Doomlike. I know this isn't much information. I remember you being able to morph into a monster. I think Darklands was in the pack.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Really wild guess: Lands of Lore II? It was released five years later than Darklands though, so it's probably not what you are looking for.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
It looked a lot like that but i believe there was an animated intro where a modern day young adult got transported to some realm or some other bullshit... i don't know if my memory is correct though, i could be mixing up different games.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
edit: Already answered, thought the previous page was the last page.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Orgophlax posted:

EDIT: Found the one I was looking for: Acients 1: Deathwatch?

HOLY CHRIST YES.

Oh my god. Oh my god someone found it. Goddamn that feels good to put that memory to rest. I thought I had completely made it up at this point.

Edit: fuuuck so many memories of this flooding back, especially when you mentioned the sewer area.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Dubplate Fire posted:

I don't remember much about the game but it was a first person RPG that came in a collection. The graphics were Doomlike. I know this isn't much information. I remember you being able to morph into a monster. I think Darklands was in the pack.

Dubplate Fire posted:

It looked a lot like that but i believe there was an animated intro where a modern day young adult got transported to some realm or some other bullshit... i don't know if my memory is correct though, i could be mixing up different games.

That sounds a lot like Shadowcaster.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Morpheus posted:

HOLY CHRIST YES.

Oh my god. Oh my god someone found it. Goddamn that feels good to put that memory to rest. I thought I had completely made it up at this point.

Edit: fuuuck so many memories of this flooding back, especially when you mentioned the sewer area.
Yeah the bit about one town and going under it clued me in big time. :smug:

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

edit: whoops beaten

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dubplate Fire posted:

Any chance this is Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lands_of_Lore:_Guardians_of_Destiny

JihadforChrist
Mar 19, 2010
If you guys could help me identify this game I'd be so happy.

Basicilly it was a graphic text adventure with pixel graphics that were surprisingly well done but I think it was all in black and white.

Basicilly you were a farmer but the biggest thing about the game was its striking loneliness and somber atmosphere. I may just be imagining this part but when the crops would fail you knew you weren't going to be okay.

So black and white text/graphic adventure about farming but I there might have been other professions you could choose as well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Aw hell, I've got a game on my mind and I can't find it for the life of me. I know it was some NES game and it had cliff diving in it. I think there may have been other events, but all I remember is the cliff diving. Like, not a dramatic leap off of a cliff but the actual sport of cliff diving.

I think NES + cliff diving may narrow down the list a bit.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Aw hell, I've got a game on my mind and I can't find it for the life of me. I know it was some NES game and it had cliff diving in it. I think there may have been other events, but all I remember is the cliff diving. Like, not a dramatic leap off of a cliff but the actual sport of cliff diving.

I think NES + cliff diving may narrow down the list a bit.

Most likely World Games.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hal Incandenza posted:

Most likely World Games.

That little tune before Cliff Diving? It has been bugging me for fifteen years. I could not find what it was from. Thank you so much.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Way back when I remember reading about this MMO that was going to really mix things up by having all in game money just be represented by real money. It doesn't sound like a big deal now with stuff like second life and all those Korean MMOs but at the time people were saying they were nuts. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or if it ever got off the ground?

For time frame, I think it was supposed to come out around the same time as planetside and anarchy online.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

Way back when I remember reading about this MMO that was going to really mix things up by having all in game money just be represented by real money. It doesn't sound like a big deal now with stuff like second life and all those Korean MMOs but at the time people were saying they were nuts. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or if it ever got off the ground?

For time frame, I think it was supposed to come out around the same time as planetside and anarchy online.

You are perhaps thinking of Project Entropia, which debuted around 2002 or so. It didn't directly use real money, but pretty much all in-game currency was bought with real money, which was what allowed it to have an actual economic system. There was no 'free' currency. People were able to make lots of real money selling real estate and poo poo through it. I guess the game has since evolved into something called "Entropia Universe": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Entropia

Tome
Mar 2, 2007

Uhm, I'm trying to remember an old shareware adventure game. I think it was horror-themed, but still aimed at kids. It was a side-scroller deal where you played as a kid trying to rescue his dog who's been kidnapped (I think??). I think you would fight skeletons and ghouls with a slingshot, but don't hold me to that. A few of the locations you'd visit would be crypts with rusty spearheads around as environmental traps. I'm fairly certain that I remember getting it on a shareware disc with a few Commander Keen games, as well as a few other Isometric shooters (Probably Wolfenstein).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Tome posted:

Uhm, I'm trying to remember an old shareware adventure game. I think it was horror-themed, but still aimed at kids. It was a side-scroller deal where you played as a kid trying to rescue his dog who's been kidnapped (I think??). I think you would fight skeletons and ghouls with a slingshot, but don't hold me to that. A few of the locations you'd visit would be crypts with rusty spearheads around as environmental traps. I'm fairly certain that I remember getting it on a shareware disc with a few Commander Keen games, as well as a few other Isometric shooters (Probably Wolfenstein).
Monster Bash.

Tome
Mar 2, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

Monster Bash.

Yesssss, thank you!

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME
We were talking about Red Dead at work today when my boss mentioned a game set in the wild west that involved solving puzzles, making money by playing liar's dice at bars to pay for upgrades, and at night vampires would show up and attack. He said it was for the PS2 but couldn't remember the name, though he thought it was something like Silverado, but no such game exists. Does anyone know what he's talking about? It sounds pretty cool.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

canti32 posted:

We were talking about Red Dead at work today when my boss mentioned a game set in the wild west that involved solving puzzles, making money by playing liar's dice at bars to pay for upgrades, and at night vampires would show up and attack. He said it was for the PS2 but couldn't remember the name, though he thought it was something like Silverado, but no such game exists. Does anyone know what he's talking about? It sounds pretty cool.

Darkwatch maybe? It's a FPS but it's the only thing with wild west and vampires I can think of.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
A freeware game about spies and computer hacking where you always get an error message when you start up the game, and if you look at the details of the error message it explains how to start the game interspersed with garbled text.

Also, an old adventure game, I think made by Sierra, where there were "levels" or continents or something on the interior of the planet, and you traveled between them and sort of advanced through them as chapters.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

A freeware game about spies and computer hacking where you always get an error message when you start up the game, and if you look at the details of the error message it explains how to start the game interspersed with garbled text.

J.D. Spy?

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

dregan posted:

J.D. Spy?

Yes!

I'm now reminded of some free graphical IF/Adventure game that was browser-based. I think you woke up without memories and moved around a futuristic world. There was a map of the city, or at least the neighborhood, and one of the locations was an arcade. The game was humorous and didn't take itself seriously.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Also, an old adventure game, I think made by Sierra, where there were "levels" or continents or something on the interior of the planet, and you traveled between them and sort of advanced through them as chapters.

Septerra Core?

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Bieeardo posted:

Septerra Core?

No, this was an old-school adventure game, not an RPG with combat or stats. I do have that game, though. It is good, except for the gameplay.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

No, this was an old-school adventure game, not an RPG with combat or stats. I do have that game, though. It is good, except for the gameplay.

Torin's Passage, I believe.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

canti32 posted:

Probably Silverload, for PS1.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 15, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Okay, I just remembered a game that was an oddball in the computer lab of the elementary school I went to, as it was pretty non-educational. It was an RPG where battles had an RTS-like format, and you could play as several main characters, each based on a particular element and having different units. The Death guy was the main villain I think, and had to be unlocked by beating the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HereticSenility posted:

Okay, I just remembered a game that was an oddball in the computer lab of the elementary school I went to, as it was pretty non-educational. It was an RPG where battles had an RTS-like format, and you could play as several main characters, each based on a particular element and having different units. The Death guy was the main villain I think, and had to be unlocked by beating the game.

Sounds like Lords of Magic. The Death guy's name was Balkoth, rode a giant bat.

It was more a strategy game with RPG elements, though. There wasn't any real plot to speak of.