Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
A druid's theme song is anything by The Smiths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
None of those balancing things really matter that much since true neutral in 3.x D&D is at least less absurd, if still screwy in other ways.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm posted:

Neutral, "Undecided"

A neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. She doesn’t feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Most neutral characters exhibit a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character thinks of good as better than evil—after all, she would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, she’s not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way.

Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run.

Neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you act naturally, without prejudice or compulsion.

UltraPenguinX
Mar 23, 2009

TC: hOnK hOnK iM a MoThErFuCkInG sEaL :o)

Nuns with Guns posted:

Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run.

All I know is my heart says maybe.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

UltraPenguinX posted:

All I know is my heart says maybe.

Tell my wife, "Hello."

Wait, this isn't the Futurama thread!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Umbra Dubium posted:

Tell my wife, "Hello."

Wait, this isn't the Futurama thread!

Help, friends! A stick figure tricked me!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
:siren: New comic! :siren:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Heh. A buttsex joke.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
"Him?" Wasn't he talking about the Amun-Zora chick? :raise:

edit: oh, right, a penis joke. Nice! :haw:

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 15, 2010

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Well, whaddya know. Another strip with Tarquin, another strip where he's the best character. I'm sensing a theme.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Here and I thought Elan's surrogate father was awesome.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
If there is an Empire of Blood, and an Empire of Tears, I can only imagine that there is a nearby Empire of Sweat.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

AlexG posted:

If there is an Empire of Blood, and an Empire of Tears, I can only imagine that there is a nearby Empire of Sweat.

You are indeed correct:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
The dragons are, of course, to serve as Taquin's invasion force when The Empire of Tears are dealt with. It's the only way to milk dramatic flare from the situation.

On the other hand, this is Burlew so that makes any prediction automatically bunk.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Manyorcas posted:

The dragons are, of course, to serve as Taquin's invasion force when The Empire of Tears are dealt with.

Dragoons, my man. Off by an O.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

That lizarman is only in two panels, but I just love how loving bored with all this he looks. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

How do you know the dragoons aren't dragons? It would fit thematically.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Poil posted:

dragons can fly, so they don't need mounts, so they can't be dragoons

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Poil posted:

Half-dragoons.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Maybe they'll be Dragon Goons. Dragoons.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobulus posted:

Maybe they'll be Dragon Goons. Dragoons.
Goons in drag?

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Draconic Half-dragon Dragonblooded Dragon shaman dragoon goons in drag.

Other option: Half-Ooze Half dragons, Dra-goos

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Goons in drag?

Probably this.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

tylertfb posted:

Doesn't mean that they can't be on mounts.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Maybe the dragons polymorph into humans to ride mounts, then dismount and turn back into dragons!

:v:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Lord Commissar posted:

Maybe the dragons polymorph into humans to ride mounts, then dismount and turn back into dragons!

:v:

Retarded use of polymorph? In my 3.5ed? Never!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

DoctorTristan posted:

Retarded use of polymorph? In my 3.5ed? Never!

My only experience with actually posting on the WOTC forums for D&D was in 3.5 I asked for advice in making a wizard really good at using polymorph to turn enemies into chickens, and was ruthlessly called a retarded 10-year-old in leet speak.

I learned my lesson.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

crime fighting hog posted:

My only experience with actually posting on the WOTC forums for D&D was in 3.5 I asked for advice in making a wizard really good at using polymorph to turn enemies into chickens, and was ruthlessly called a retarded 10-year-old in leet speak.

I learned my lesson.

You see, what you do is use Baleful Polymorph to turn the enemies into chickens. Then you polymorph yourself into a hyrda and eat them... then eat your party because they're holding you back. Gate in a few challenge rating 23 angels to back you up instead.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 16, 2010

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Nuns with Guns posted:

You see, what you do is use Baleful Polymorph to turn the enemies into chickens. Then you polymorph yourself into a hyrda and eat them... then eat your party because they're holding you back. Gate in a few challenge rating 23 angels to back you up instead.

wizards.txt

Edit: Where is the dragonborn joke, I am sure there is one coming...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Red_Mage posted:

wizards.txt

Yeah pretty much. Next to 3.5 rules, it would look like the villain in Unbreakable had bones made from Adamantium.

(I still play 3.5 because it's fun when you don't bend the game over a pinball machine.) :blush:

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 16, 2010

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

tylertfb posted:

They don't need mounts, but they can still ride them if they want to be dragoons.

Ashenai posted:

A true neutral druid might join the local barony to put down a tribe of evil gnolls, only to drop out or switch sides when the gnolls were brought to the brink of destruction. He would seek to prevent either side from becoming too powerful. Clearly, there are very few true neutral characters in the world."

True Neutral: always making sure your own actions cancel each other out! :downsbravo:
That's not really as bad as you're making it sound. It's talking about a broader conflict than just one battle; the idea of someone fighting a group that's marauding against nearby settlements, but then defending it if the last of them are literally about to be exterminated, isn't exactly absurd.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 16, 2010

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

That's not really as bad as you're making it sound. It's talking about a broader conflict than just one battle; the idea of someone fighting a group that's marauding against nearby settlements, but then defending it if the last of them are literally about to be exterminated, isn't exactly absurd.

It's absurd when you're playing a cooperative game and your bullshit philosophy very likely makes you counter-productive and a source of unnecessary conflict. Some players can pull it off, granted, but most of the time it just ends up causing problems.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Mylan posted:

It's absurd when you're playing a cooperative game and your bullshit philosophy very likely makes you counter-productive and a source of unnecessary conflict. Some players can pull it off, granted, but most of the time it just ends up causing problems.

Apparently you didn't get the message but D&D is not a simple "game" as you put it but a vehicle for unique dramas to unfold why let me tell you about the time my chaotic good bisexual female half elf half teifling character tried to proposition another player's lawful good paladin for sex. Oh the conflict that ensued! Who knew that someone who always plays lawful good paladins was a devout Christan? The rest of the game session had his character trying to turn my atheist bisexual female to Jesus. The other players got so riled up they never came back to the game. I guess they couldn't hang with us real roleplayers.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mylan posted:

The alignment system is terrible and always has been and there is very little to redeem it, but at least equal blame rests with the players and group. Obviously if you have a bunch of lawful (or whatever) characters and one TN guy its going to cause a bunch of problems, but that just means you were stupid for picking TN and your DM was stupid for letting you - there's no reason the whole group can't pick varying shades of Neutral if they want to and not have huge alignment rifts.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The mistake a lot of players make is using alignment to define how they act, rather than simply playing and have how they act define their alignment.

Admittedly, this distinction fails when spells like Detect Evil are capable of registering someone's alignment as a tangible malevolence.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Umbra Dubium posted:

The mistake a lot of players make is using alignment to define how they act, rather than simply playing and have how they act define their alignment.

Admittedly, this distinction fails when spells like Detect Evil are capable of registering someone's alignment as a tangible malevolence.

Or, as one DM described it to a Paladin after he scanned my guy, "a glowing black cancerous malignant tumor that wants to infect the world".

That was a good day.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Umbra Dubium posted:

I think its a facet of the game system rather than a mistake. After all you have to choose clearly defined alignments which can be detected by in-game mechanics. Choose first, act second. That's the DnD way.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Umbra Dubium posted:

If you are a paladin, then you have to act like one or suffer the consequences.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

TampaTango posted:

If you are a paladin, then you have to act like one or suffer the consequences.

Yeah, but no one minds acting like a total loving badass.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Clerics are the same way. You have to uphold whatever your god stands for or you lose all your nifty reality-bending abilities, and are stuck as a crappy fighter. Druids, too I suppose, they have to maintain the balance of nature, whatever the gently caress that means. For every humanoid life they save, they gotta plant a tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Paladins alone have mechanics for being stripped not only of their class powers but of their class itself.