Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

eminkey2003 posted:

I really liked Bowling for Columbine, Michael Moore's documentary about guns in America, but this is all I remember:

- A lot of Canadians leave their doors unlocked at night.
- At the end, Michael Moore confronts Charleton Heston about a 6 year old girl who was shot and killed by a classmate, and Heston just walks away.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSn5UEiovxo

Anyone who hasn't seen or heard about this movie has been living in a cave for quite some time now, especially if american. Honestly, I like Michael Moore, and this movie is fairly solid, but the way he goes about making his points are completely loving ridiculous and with the amount of smugness of every Prius driver in the country combined. Like the rest of his movies, this is more docu-drama/comedy than straight forward documentary.

Sicko was probably his best work to date, highlighting issues in the healthcare system. His latest, Capitalism: A Love Story, is a return to smug assholery, based on solid points, but he likes to act a bit like a giant douche while explaining the situation. Though the financial meltdown produced plenty of giant douches to the worlds' news media and viewing publics' eyes, so Moore is justified, in my opinion, to act like a bigger dick to those people, and he's not afraid to do it. It's also probably his funniest work to date. Never take his work literal, though, do your own research if the topic interests you that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I'd also recommend Sicko to a much greater degree than Bowling for Columbine. In Sicko, Moore simply stayed the Hell out of the way and let the story speak. In Bowling, there was some shady editing, splicing together whole sentences that nobody actually said, leading up to a lame "confrontation" where Moore actually comes across as the bigger rear end in a top hat when he's trying (and failing) to do a hit job on Charlton Heston.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress? Is there a good reason why I can't view the nature documentaries on the BBC's youtube channel?

'This video contains content from BBC Worldwide, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.'

I'm in the UK! What the hell is this? Why aren't these available to me? :confused:

Slippy G
Jul 2, 2007

oh shit

Tchaparian posted:

There's a really interesting documentary about the life of an Australian graffiti artist (tagger) based out of Melbourne called "Jisoe". Search for that name on Youtube, and the whole thing will be avaliable to watch in 7 parts. It's kinda depressing in parts, but hilarious in others.

This is less about graffiti and more about a kleptomaniac who paints in his spare time. At least he is doing what he loves I guess, he seems a little :downs: from the weed.

Worth watching, though.

Bliggers- posted:

While not a documentary, check out the Liberia episode of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. VERY different look at the same country.

edit: Season 6 Episode 16

No Reservations is always really interesting, most episodes feel like a mini documentary anyway and Anthony Bourdain has a great attitude to going to interesting places rather than crappy restaurants. The Beirut episode is really special too, they're over there filming when the 2006 war kicks off and it gets pretty crazy. Crappy quality version here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHLTLZ4thvs

Some other favourites of mine, couldn't see them in the list on the first page apologies if they've been mentioned.

Long Way Around and Long Way Down The first is Ewan McGregor and his buddy Charlie Boorman riding motorbikes from London to New York through Europe, Russia, then down through Canada and America, about 18000 miles. The majority being them riding on some dirt roads in the middle of Russian nowhere meeting cool people. Long Way Down is the the same crew and style but all the way through Africa down to Cape Town.

Race to Dakar Follows Charlie Boorman doing the Dakar rally and the guys who filmed Long Way Around/Down in the support car, as well as two other motorbike riders going along with Charlie.

By Any Means London to Sydney and By Any Means Sydney to Tokyo Charlie Boorman and some of the guys from the other series I mentioned get from A to B in as many different modes of transport as possible (Bike, Car, Elephant) and meet some cool people on the way. I think you can get most of these as box sets now and also there's some books about Long Way Around, they're all really good because Ewan McGregor And Charlie Boorman seem like great guys going on a huge adventure and I'm really jealous.

Slippy G fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 13, 2010

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
I seriously think that A Vice Guide To Travel: North Korea, is worse than the Liberia one. I mean, Liberia is cannibalism and poo poo but NK is insanity. The mental indoctrination of these people is just beyond depressing because you just know that they've been brainwashed into thinking that way since they were babies and quite frankly that is far more frightening to me than cannibalism or incredible crime etc.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In response to being sued by the Chamber of Commerce, the Yes Men have decided to release their film, The Yes Men Save the World as a free torrent. You can get it, and pay a fee to join their club for cool kids only, here.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A Humble Narcissist posted:

I seriously think that A Vice Guide To Travel: North Korea, is worse than the Liberia one. I mean, Liberia is cannibalism and poo poo but NK is insanity. The mental indoctrination of these people is just beyond depressing because you just know that they've been brainwashed into thinking that way since they were babies and quite frankly that is far more frightening to me than cannibalism or incredible crime etc.

If it helps they only have maybe 10-15 more years of that before Il dies, leaves a power vacuum, and the entire military leadership tears itself and the country apart.

Does anyone else find it kind of odd that the entire world is OK with it if a leader is killing off their own people and only really give a poo poo if they start killing off other countries' people?

spoonfulofwhoopass
Feb 11, 2010

Yes and no. Liberia is essentially shown to be an utter anarchy. North Korea's dictatorship government would never allow for people living in dug-out graves or release war criminals for a bribe. That was just loving crazy.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

nowning posted:

Madness in the Fast Lane

So why didn't the producer of the cop show even think to hand over the video evidence to the doctors and psychiatrists who later said "Oh yeah she's totally cool to leave now"? How, in the UK Justice System, was the tape not taken in as evidence from the get-go?
That one guy was like "Well you can't legislate for people like her" but it seemed to me you very clearly can.

Daedalus101
May 6, 2008

onemanlan posted:

Here's your uber-saddening documentary of the day: Every F***ing Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlqELHHKCl8

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/every-f-ing-day-of-my-life/index.html

It's about an Oregeon woman, named Wendy, for murder of her long time abusive husband. The documentary encompasses her life and marriage to husband Randy, their life, his abuse, his murder, and the final 4 days leading up to her sentencing and incarceration. Her family recounts the times when he used to beat her and his children. This story is well told by the Wendy, the children, and the people who witnessed this perpetual violent treatment of her family. It's complemented by the fact that Randy took tons of home videos which shed an interesting light into their lives Wendy's story withstanding brutal beatings from her husband because she believed she had no where else to turn and to save her kids. To hear what this family had to live through and especially Wendy had to live through in the 20+ years of sadistic abuse is heartbreaking by showing a very dark side of humanity in her husband, while providing a bleak, but somewhat happy ending in her saga.

This was such a hard documentary to watch. You don't want to believe people can be so cruel and sadistic to the one's that trust them most, yet it happens. I don't know if it's a bully mentality mixed with boredom or what of many other possible motives that would lead a man to do what he did.

This was by far the most obscene, horrible, and sickening thing I've ever seen. I had to fight back tears when her son was testifying. Especially when he talked about the dog, Paco. That ... thing that they referred to as a man absolutely disgusts me. If I ever became such a thing I pray that my wife and children would kill me. Unfortunately it was allowed a much more humane death than it deserved because it's son took pity on it. It's just loving disgusting that a thing like that was allowed to live. Not only that but that the woman and child it abused for so many years were sent to prison. I will/can not refer to such a thing as a human being, it is a rabid animal and does not deserve the basic rights afforded to members of the human race. This has proven to me that there is no god. No god could or would allow such things to go on. Jesus gently caress!

Edit: This is coming from a Psych major. I have made it my life's work to help those with psychiatric disorders. This is against everything I have been taught but gently caress THIS THING! It's death should have been long, drawn-out, and excruciatingly painful. It was spared only by the mercy of its son. I hope it burns in the deepest pits of hell.

Daedalus101 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 13, 2010

bipolarbear
Jun 15, 2005

Droppin the Funk Bomb!

spoonfulofwhoopass posted:

Yes and no. Liberia is essentially shown to be an utter anarchy. North Korea's dictatorship government would never allow for people living in dug-out graves or release war criminals for a bribe. That was just loving crazy.

Nor would they imprison a war criminal only for the purpose of earning a bribe.

Smee
Sep 24, 2004
Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

A few months back me and the GF spent the better part of an afternoon watching this What-If docu on History Channel about how to survive after some sort of virus-based apocalyptic event. It followed a family of a father, mother, and their teenage son, from the point where they need to escape the city (apparently a very dangerous place to be after 90% of humanity is destroyed) to finding ways to survive out in the east California deserts (the story started in LA, from what I recall).

Anyway not a real documentary obviously, as its all fully acted out and such, but I really enjoyed the way it flowed and how it was shot (course this could have been compounded by the fact me and the GF were high as balls watching this flick)

So if anyone has any idea what this particular piece is called or where I can get it, that would be much appreciated :)

Mr Plow
Dec 31, 2004

bipolarbear posted:

Nor would they imprison a war criminal only for the purpose of earning a bribe.

They would however imprison a non-criminal and his family for the purpose of earning money off their slave labour.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Smee posted:

Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

A few months back me and the GF spent the better part of an afternoon watching this What-If docu on History Channel about how to survive after some sort of virus-based apocalyptic event. It followed a family of a father, mother, and their teenage son, from the point where they need to escape the city (apparently a very dangerous place to be after 90% of humanity is destroyed) to finding ways to survive out in the east California deserts (the story started in LA, from what I recall).

Anyway not a real documentary obviously, as its all fully acted out and such, but I really enjoyed the way it flowed and how it was shot (course this could have been compounded by the fact me and the GF were high as balls watching this flick)

So if anyone has any idea what this particular piece is called or where I can get it, that would be much appreciated :)

'After Armageddon' is what you're looking for. It's on youtube, somewhere.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

The problem I have with a lot of these North Korea docs like the Vice and Dispatches ones, are that it only presents the country at that exact point in time. As soon as the Vice Guide hit the net, NK started changing the regulations and rules about tourists, so you will not get the same experience today. The Dispatches ones are mostly about smuggling people in/out of the country and you would have to think that they can't be going to the same spots anymore.

I remember a very in depth blog about Russian dudes who took the train from Austria to Pyongyang and back (over like 2 months). They had no real problems since no foreigners had even tried to take that train in decades. Border guards had no idea what to do since they had valid visas and they ended up having little more freedom than the average tourist. Let's just say that no one will be repeating the visit.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Wandering Idiot posted:

'After Armageddon' is what you're looking for. It's on youtube, somewhere.
You might also like "Right at Your Door", its not a documentary though. Its a movie about a dirty bomb being detonated in LA. I dont think its realistic because from my understanding a dirty bomb would not really do poo poo aside from make people needlessly scared.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
gently caress. I watched the domestic violence HBO doc and now i'm part way into Vice: Liberia. I guess it's my own drat fault for picking the most depressing ones.

edit: Here's a relevant VBS doc about the oil spill

TOXIC: Gulf

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/toxic/toxic-gulf-full-length

VBS posted:

As someone’s hopefully told you, for the last month and a half a 2-foot-wide pipe in the Gulf of Mexico has been ejaculating oil to the tune of half a million gallons a day. We went down to Louisiana over Memorial Day to see some of the damage for ourselves.

Gaza fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 16, 2010

Mouse Bite
Jun 21, 2009
N-thing Dear Zachary. It manages to wipe away any shred of faith in humanity or the criminal justice system, but still somehow be uplifting at the end.

For content: Banking on Heaven (full video here: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/banking-on-heaven/)

It's not exactly new, but it's a fascinating look at the FLDS church and their polygamist compound in Colorado City. It has some very powerful interviews with a few escapees, including Warren Jeffs' sister. Very interesting and VERY creepy.

Check out the website for even more creepy content and background info: http://bankingonheaven.com/

Kuikka
Aug 16, 2006
The Famine Scam

"Niger is dying, and the world is merely watching" This dramatic message was heard all over the world in July 2005. News media all over the world reported the famine in the worlds poorest country. Why would anyone doubt it when the UN, the BBC and the big relief organisations reported of a famine in Niger, and that millions needed immediate relief? But what if this wasnt a famine? What if it was not free food that was the right medicine for the crisis in Niger? "The Famine Scam" is a controversial documentary which has won several awards, and was awarded third prize in the Monte Carlo TV festival in June 2008.

The doc was produced by Norwegian Television, but it's narrated in English with subtitled interviews.

Seriously worth watching.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4SYM8JsDg4

Kuikka fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 17, 2010

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

doctor iono posted:

What are some good documentaries on modern inner cities? Requiem for Detroit was interesting but a little fluffy. The Wire, while not a documentary, is a fascinating portrayal of Baltimore and its myriad of problems. I guess I'm looking for more stuff along those lines, documentaries portraying the horrors of the modern inner city but also why and how they got that way, so focusing on the suburbanization, white flight, de facto apartheid, etc. too.

A million times this. Or really any documentary about Urban Planning, Decay, etc.

I just watched The Most Dangerous Man in America, about Daniel Ellsberg and leaking of the Pentagon Papers. It's a little elementary if you already know the basic outline of the story (and it doesn't hold a candle to Fog of War) but if you're craving some Vietnam lunacy, it satisfies the itch.

Wastebasket
Apr 15, 2003

Ask me about reliving my virginity

Daedalus101 posted:

This was by far the most obscene, horrible, and sickening thing I've ever seen. I had to fight back tears when her son was testifying. Especially when he talked about the dog, Paco. That ... thing that they referred to as a man absolutely disgusts me. If I ever became such a thing I pray that my wife and children would kill me. Unfortunately it was allowed a much more humane death than it deserved because it's son took pity on it. It's just loving disgusting that a thing like that was allowed to live. Not only that but that the woman and child it abused for so many years were sent to prison. I will/can not refer to such a thing as a human being, it is a rabid animal and does not deserve the basic rights afforded to members of the human race. This has proven to me that there is no god. No god could or would allow such things to go on. Jesus gently caress!

Edit: This is coming from a Psych major. I have made it my life's work to help those with psychiatric disorders. This is against everything I have been taught but gently caress THIS THING! It's death should have been long, drawn-out, and excruciatingly painful. It was spared only by the mercy of its son. I hope it burns in the deepest pits of hell.

Call me crazy but I haven't been able to catch this and its driving me insane. It sounds like a good documentary.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

onemanlan posted:

Oh yeah and if you guys want the most horribly depressing documentary about humanity while having some mild uplifting effect check out Every f***ing day. I had mentioned it in the first page or two, but its worth bringing up again. It's about a mother and her children recounting the brutal life they had under her long-time husband who systematically beat and bullied every one in the family. He beat his wife with literally every implement he could find in the house for over twenty years until she snapped one day and took a hatchet to his head. Now her family prepares for her sentencing day for the crime she committed to stop systematic abuse brought on by her husbands insanity. Great documentary, OMG you want to hate the loving state for how they sentence her especially after hearing all of what the family went through.... I highly suggest this documentary if you can stomach the scenarios she puts forth.

Watching through that right now. It's some really powerful poo poo, but also points out of the main reasons that abuse still happens. People in the community saw him beating on her with their own eyes, saw her injuries, and didn't report it to the police for whatever reason.

You cannot count on someone who is being victimized in an abusive relationship to report anything, out of fear or mental illness or whatever, it doesn't matter. It's up to the people close to the victim to report this.

I worked for Prevent Child Abuse America as a volunteer for a while, and the really bad cases are, again and again, relatives and neighbors failing to report to the police what they suspect is going on.

I don't think I can express how depressing it is that the kids drew anime pictures so they could tape over the holes in the wall from their mother's head being pushed through it.

As suggestions, I would suggest ANY Frontline videos.

My favorites are:
When Kids Get life
The United States is one of the only countries in the world that allows children under 18 to be sentenced to life without parole. Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International report that more than 2,000 inmates are currently serving life without parole in the United States for crimes committed when they were juveniles; in the rest of the world, there are only 12 juveniles serving the same sentence, according to figures reported to the United Nations' Convention on the Rights of the Child.

The Storm
Katrina, and how nobody did poo poo.

I want to sit down and watch The Quake also but I haven't yet.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Big River Man

Martin Strel is the worlds top endurance swimmer and an amazing athlete. He's swum the length of the Missippi, Yangstze and Danube, and this film chronicles his attempt to swim the Amazon.

Martin is also a fat, 50 something, semi-alcoholic Slovenian. A (former) professional gambler, flamenco teacher and national hero with a lucrative sideline in judging beauty pageants and starring in TV commercials.

Accompanying this hugely likable fat drunk on his epic swim, are Borut his son/handler who provides the deadpan narration ("Martin is the best drunk driver in Slovenia") and their American navigator Matt who spends his time channeling Dennis Hopper from Apocalypse Now.

Some scenes are staged as gently caress, but it's still the best thing I've seen for months.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/big-river-man/4od

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

The Liberia one is at least a little hopeful, there are a lot of people in that country who want a change, would do anything for order, it really seems that if we did step in we could really make a difference. But we won't unless they get WMD on loan from someone.

The NK is insane, you just can't educate that amount of mind fuckery out of a country. When I think about all that human potential that is wasted to put on a show for one man, it makes me sad.

Here are some more, State of Mind this follows two of the acrobats that participate in the Mass Games you saw at the end of Vice Guide, it's not the greatest documentary but the subject matter is outstanding, focuses a lot more on the conditioning and brainwashing that occurs in NK.

Seoul Train this one I highly recommend, it's about and underground railroad dedicated to getting refuges out of NK. This has a lot more human element, and draws a lot of attention to how China is loving this refugees over by not recognizing them as refuges and sending them back.

Mrens fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 20, 2010

rkos
Dec 18, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

A million times this. Or really any documentary about Urban Planning, Decay, etc.

Street Fight (trailer) reminded me of The Wire.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I loved ABC's Boston Med. Anyone have recommendations for other cool similar documentaries?

Paradox86
Apr 30, 2005

It's pretty simple. A friend and I agreed that birds are pretty pissed that they don't have arms. We decided this should be fixed.
Anyone know any good documentaries shot in the mid-70's? Kinda broad, but I'm very interested in seeing sorta every day people in that era.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Paradox86 posted:

Anyone know any good documentaries shot in the mid-70's? Kinda broad, but I'm very interested in seeing sorta every day people in that era.

You might want to check out the Maylses bros films, if you haven't already. Salesman especially is great; if you're interested in people watching. Lots of sweaty looking men in suits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salesman_(film)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MKRKbZHA5E

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Paradox86 posted:

Carl Sagan's 'The Cosmos' was filmed in '78-79, but not aired until '80. If you haven't seen it, take the time to sit through all of it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAJMnTzHCc8&feature=player_embedded!

speaking in code.
About techno culture in the US and the difference with the rest of the world.

Since I have a canadian gilfriend I started to realise how good I have it here in belgium when it comes to electronic music.
She always talks to me about traveling hundreds of miles to see some dj. And I usually have to drive 15 minutes to get to a club where the same guy plays and it costs about a third of the price.
Anyway, this american couple made a doc about it. Havn't seen it all the way through yet, but if you're interested in the subject I think you'll like it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

mrfart posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAJMnTzHCc8&feature=player_embedded!

speaking in code.
About techno culture in the US and the difference with the rest of the world.

Since I have a canadian gilfriend I started to realise how good I have it here in belgium when it comes to electronic music.
She always talks to me about traveling hundreds of miles to see some dj. And I usually have to drive 15 minutes to get to a club where the same guy plays and it costs about a third of the price.
Anyway, this american couple made a doc about it. Havn't seen it all the way through yet, but if you're interested in the subject I think you'll like it.

Fan loving tastic. Thank you for this. Electronic Music in north america is a loving joke. Between having headliners for residents and radio stations with huge blocks for the music, I am hugely jealous of the british/european scene as a Torontonian.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

onemanlan posted:

Here's your uber-saddening documentary of the day: Every F***ing Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlqELHHKCl8

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/every-f-ing-day-of-my-life/index.html

It's about an Oregeon woman, named Wendy, for murder of her long time abusive husband. The documentary encompasses her life and marriage to husband Randy, their life, his abuse, his murder, and the final 4 days leading up to her sentencing and incarceration. Her family recounts the times when he used to beat her and his children. This story is well told by the Wendy, the children, and the people who witnessed this perpetual violent treatment of her family. It's complemented by the fact that Randy took tons of home videos which shed an interesting light into their lives Wendy's story withstanding brutal beatings from her husband because she believed she had no where else to turn and to save her kids. To hear what this family had to live through and especially Wendy had to live through in the 20+ years of sadistic abuse is heartbreaking by showing a very dark side of humanity in her husband, while providing a bleak, but somewhat happy ending in her saga.

This was such a hard documentary to watch. You don't want to believe people can be so cruel and sadistic to the one's that trust them most, yet it happens. I don't know if it's a bully mentality mixed with boredom or what of many other possible motives that would lead a man to do what he did.

I must be missing something, but how do you actually watch this? I don't see a Play button anywhere or anything (on the HBO page).

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

bleedbackwards posted:

I must be missing something, but how do you actually watch this? I don't see a Play button anywhere or anything (on the HBO page).

Google vids led me to it.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xclhfs_every-fing-day-of-my-life-part-1_shortfilms

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I hated the gently caress out of Dear Zachary, it was manipulative trash that tried way too hard to be edgy and thought that, in lieu of actual evidence, giving its critics funny voices was appropriate. It's central message was "gently caress things like 'evidence', the victims are angry so the person they blame it on should hang even if there's nothing other than circumstantial evidence and character assassination" and if you fell for it you should feel bad.

covok48
Apr 3, 2009

WebDog posted:

The Lost World of Communism
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5302179309927381360

A three parter that focuses on how people lived their lives during communist regimes.
Also focuses on people who famously rebelled and gives insight into things such how the media was controlled, for instance in Part 3 they state how Ceausescu never was to be seen on TV eating or drinking, they'd always cut away.

Part 1 is in Eastern Germany.
Part 2 is Czechoslovakia.
And Part 3 covers Romania

Thank you for this. I found this facinating although unfortunately episodes 2 and 3 are scattered in piecemeal around the web while episode 1 can be viewed in its entirety. Is there a link to the other episodes in full, or at least relaible links to watch them?

My contribution (my apologies if already posted):

Escobar's Own Goal

My first international soccer viewing experience was the US vs. Colombia in 1994 (I was 10.) The US victory combined with Escobar's murder shortly thereafter sparked my interest in international football , but more importantly the events surrounding Escobar's death.

This documentary gives a good overall background to the event and Colombia in general at the time. I felt it was appropriate given the 2010 world cup recently taking place.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAd2brXDD7Q&feature=related
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQt296NmnzU&feature=search
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwjsrvnDKiQ&feature=related
Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKDv5S_sMxc&feature=related
Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFqyeiOPfwA&feature=related
Part 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY3_y6eQB5o&feature=related

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I hated the gently caress out of Dear Zachary, it was manipulative trash that tried way too hard to be edgy and thought that, in lieu of actual evidence, giving its critics funny voices was appropriate. It's central message was "gently caress things like 'evidence', the victims are angry so the person they blame it on should hang even if there's nothing other than circumstantial evidence and character assassination" and if you fell for it you should feel bad.
Huge Dear Zachary spoilers, be warned!

It's been a while since I watched it, but didn't the villain flee the country before the trial, and eventually ended up killing herself and her baby. Doesn't that scream guilt?

Besides it's not like actual criminal charges are being filled because of this "circumstantial" documentary, everyone involved is dead, it's like hearing a documentary of Jesse James has a few parts based on anecdotal evidence, whats the harm?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I didn't care much for it either. Mostly, I just thought it was rather poorly made, and the editing and talking head stuff was annoying. All of the manipulative effects just distracted from the actual story, which I guess was the point. Everyone else kept going on and on about how depressing it was and how they cried themselves to sleep or whatever, but I didn't really think it warranted that reaction. Although maybe I'm just dead inside, I don't know. Goons are really defensive of it though, in some previous thread a guy criticized it, saying it wasn't really all that well made, and everyone went crazy about it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think what a lot of people get defensive about is that it was never intended to be a documentary.

It was a video letter to the kid that ended up turning into something completely different.

Also I guess it was completely circumstancial when she fled the country and killed the kid and committed suicide.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

covok48 posted:

Thank you for this. I found this facinating although unfortunately episodes 2 and 3 are scattered in piecemeal around the web while episode 1 can be viewed in its entirety. Is there a link to the other episodes in full, or at least relaible links to watch them?
Part II: The Kingdom of Forgetting (Czechoslovakia)
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV9mDWvWjRU
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEffURtJm9M
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SrNhCEZe1g
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpt2zDMDLD8
5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izv8EA5VUUg

Part III (Romania) I haven't been able to find. Too bad, I'm mostly interested in that one.

Think fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

discoukulele posted:

Another good one is Night and Fog ("Nuit et Brouillard"). It's a very grim documentary about life inside the concentration camps during the holocaust. It includes photographs, news reels, and video footage. Obviously, it's very upsetting stuff to watch, but I think it's one of those films that everyone needs to see at some point.

It's available on Google Video, and it's only a little over 30 minutes long.

I saw it a couple years ago, and parts of it still give me chills to think about.

In Germany we actually have to watch this in school.
A girl in my class ran outside to puke.