Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

I don't know if it was or not. I didn't want to go through the thread cause I saw the first post had a bunch of unmarked spoilers. :shobon:

It started out with a police chase that ended in one dude getting shot, then he woke up in a hospital and stuff. Some black guy had to shoot his zombie wife and the cop guy was crawling underneath a tank or something.

So then yes. You saw the clip from comic con. They haven't released an official one yet, but there's the pirated youtube clip floating around of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

I don't know if it was or not. I didn't want to go through the thread cause I saw the first post had a bunch of unmarked spoilers. :shobon:
Hey, I pretty much tell you in the first post to stop reading because there are going to be spoilers.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hey, I pretty much tell you in the first post to stop reading because there are going to be spoilers.

Sorry. :shobon:

My eye was drawn to the big bold "who's still alive?" thing and I immediately just left the page. :\ Sorry.

But yeah, I'm definitely going out of my way to check this out now.

Ensign Shiro Amada
Mar 18, 2007

Creating peace through violence since 1996

Affi posted:

It's toxic man, try rubbing a wound in with some dead cadavres and feces and see how long you live.

It's worked out pretty well for me so far. :colbert:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Despite having re-read 75 yesterday, I was confused as to why Rick's face was covered with what I thought to be Scotch tape for the first half of this issue.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
I liked 76 - it shows that Rick's not completely screwed and he has a way back from being a complete nutball. Though it would just be Kirkman's way to have him finally fit in with the community, then have him munched by a zombie.

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Darth Ronson posted:

I liked 76 - it shows that Rick's not completely screwed and he has a way back from being a complete nutball. Though it would just be Kirkman's way to have him finally fit in with the community, then have him munched by a zombie.

Serious? I thought it showed more how he's spiraling deeper into himself with the phone call. He shouldn't be relying on it anymore, now that there is somewhere halfway normal to bed down and hopefully raise Carl with a minimum of brain loving.

This is probably the best storyline since the pre-prison days, in my eyes. Great issue.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Antifreeze Head posted:

Despite having re-read 75 yesterday, I was confused as to why Rick's face was covered with what I thought to be Scotch tape for the first half of this issue.

So are you saying you eventually figured it out or do you not know it was bandaids on his cuts from going through a window?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Buddington posted:

So are you saying you eventually figured it out or do you not know it was bandaids on his cuts from going through a window?

I figured it out when he was talking about his injuries. In my defence, his face didn't look all that cut up in 75, and certainly not in such a mask-like series of wounds.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Spot who never read Sin City.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is also all I could think about

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Seriously. I don't know how anyone couldn't have figured out what was going on with their faces in this issue.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really don't think people are being fair to Rick. The doctor was a cock and when Rick asked to have him dealt with, he was denied by the government. Douglas' story was extra retarded.

DOUGLAS: Once someone used his power in the community to do bad things and then I killed him.
RICK: So... your point is that I did the right thing by attacking the other guy that was using his power in the community to do bad things?
DOUGLAS: No, Rick, you're the one who's like the first guy, listen, don't make me kill you.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really don't think people are being fair to Rick. The doctor was a cock and when Rick asked to have him dealt with, he was denied by the government. Douglas' story was extra retarded.

DOUGLAS: Once someone used his power in the community to do bad things and then I killed him.
RICK: So... your point is that I did the right thing by attacking the other guy that was using his power in the community to do bad things?
DOUGLAS: No, Rick, you're the one who's like the first guy, listen, don't make me kill you.

My thinking of reading that section was that Douglas was the one taking advantage of the people. We've seen that he's not loyal or faithful to his wife and that it is a fairly open secret. But that it all happened in the early days of the compound and not overt.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Comixology app on my iPhone updated with issue 77 :neckbeard:

Nice chat we had last issue Rick.. had I taken your word for it my wife would probably still be alive. Live and learn.. except for my wife.
Looks like the community is about to go to poo poo very shortly. Half expected the wife to pop back up and start an outbreak.

I feel sorry for Rick that Carl can't accept his escape mechanism in the telephone, but what a little fucker he is about it.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So uh, I'm reading this now.

I just finished issues 33, the one where Michionne goes loving psycho on the Governor

It was the only issues so far that I've been kinda :aaa: while reading it, aside from the end of one of the early jail issues (can't remember the number, but I'm pretty sure people here know which one I'm talking about).

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Capsaicin posted:

So uh, I'm reading this now.

I just finished issues 33, the one where Michionne goes loving psycho on the Governor
:aaa:

I think that's the point of much of the comic... to make you feel uncomfortable and show you the dark side of people who you kind of come to trust.

as far as the new issue goes:

I'm thinking that those guys are being lead by the guy that Davis hung out to dry (was that the new leader's name?). I was thinking that from before... when Glen and Heath saw them during their drug run. Obviously poo poo is going to go down...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Infinitum posted:

The Comixology app on my iPhone updated with issue 77 :neckbeard:

Nice chat we had last issue Rick.. had I taken your word for it my wife would probably still be alive. Live and learn.. except for my wife.
Looks like the community is about to go to poo poo very shortly. Half expected the wife to pop back up and start an outbreak.

I feel sorry for Rick that Carl can't accept his escape mechanism in the telephone, but what a little fucker he is about it.

I'd like you to imagine this situation. You are a small child. Your father is the only constant in your life, fraught with genuine, life-threatening danger. Now you are in a situation that is even more alien to you and he is obviously not the rock you imagined him to be, and may actually be about to snap. Do you imagine you would react well?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just finished issue 41.

Carol turned crazy real fast.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

luscious posted:

I think that's the point of much of the comic... to make you feel uncomfortable and show you the dark side of people who you kind of come to trust.

as far as the new issue goes:

I'm thinking that those guys are being lead by the guy that Davis hung out to dry (was that the new leader's name?). I was thinking that from before... when Glen and Heath saw them during their drug run. Obviously poo poo is going to go down...

I don't think so cause then they wouldn't be trying to guess where the place is, he would know where it was.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Capsaicin posted:

I just finished issue 41.

Carol turned crazy real fast.

That was the saddest part of the series for me. That and the "How could someone do that to me?"

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Volume posted:

I don't think so cause then they wouldn't be trying to guess where the place is, he would know where it was.

I just figured that they drove the guy away and maybe he didn't know exactly where it was like the General knew that there was a prison and people who lived in the area did too but they didn't remember where it was.

Either way they had to find out from someone. Even if the guy isn't in that group anymore maybe at one point he was.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
This comic is really fascinating, but I'm waiting for someone to touch on the fact that they are scavenging from the world around them to survive, which is pretty untenable for long term survival. Everything is focused on short term currently, but I would love to see someone just make the connection and realize that the end is slowly coming.

I want to hear more about the rest of the world, but feel that it might break the flow of the series. I'm sure some island nations are doing fine. Like Cuba.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They don't have a future though, that is the whole point of it. They literally are the walking dead.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

drkhrs2020 posted:

This comic is really fascinating, but I'm waiting for someone to touch on the fact that they are scavenging from the world around them to survive, which is pretty untenable for long term survival. Everything is focused on short term currently, but I would love to see someone just make the connection and realize that the end is slowly coming.

I want to hear more about the rest of the world, but feel that it might break the flow of the series. I'm sure some island nations are doing fine. Like Cuba.
Didn't they start farming while in the prison?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

drkhrs2020 posted:

I see where you're coming from with all this but I think that islands are the first to go. Where there's a concentrated population with little way to escape there's not much to be done.

Unless people got very coordinated very quickly and everyone was on board with the way to get rid of the zombies they wouldn't make it quickly. I mean, Hershel didn't want to kill his kids or roamers... he just kept them in the barn hoping to be able to make something work to get them better so why wouldn't other people feel the same way. All it really takes is one or two to royally gently caress things up and since all dead people not just bitten people become zombies it would have to be very closely watched.

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."
Sorry if this was asked before, but as it is late and my scanning ten pages is not at its best, has Kirkman said that he knows why There are Zombies everywhere?

Let me clarify by saying i don't care if he tells us why, or if he ever will. In terms of storytelling and where it will go, has he set a clear idea as to "why" for himself as the author of the story? If yes Does He ever plan on saying why?

I hope not, for me the great thing is that these people have to live in a world never knowing if what they are doing is hopeless or if there is a chance of beating or just plain outlasting the zombie threat.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

RandomEffects posted:

Sorry if this was asked before, but as it is late and my scanning ten pages is not at its best, has Kirkman said that he knows why There are Zombies everywhere?

Let me clarify by saying i don't care if he tells us why, or if he ever will. In terms of storytelling and where it will go, has he set a clear idea as to "why" for himself as the author of the story? If yes Does He ever plan on saying why?

I hope not, for me the great thing is that these people have to live in a world never knowing if what they are doing is hopeless or if there is a chance of beating or just plain outlasting the zombie threat.

He has said before that the 'why' doesn't matter. The thing that he hated most about zombie movies is that they end. He wanted to create a zombie medium that doesn't have the 'oh thank god it's all going to be okay'.

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."

luscious posted:

He has said before that the 'why' doesn't matter. The thing that he hated most about zombie movies is that they end. He wanted to create a zombie medium that doesn't have the 'oh thank god it's all going to be okay'.

I agree that the "why"s doesn't matter to us. But as the author of these stories i would hope that he knows so that he has rules that the world live/dies by.

For example what exactly causes the "virus" to spread Biting does, unless you cut the limb of quick enough. Apparently eating the flesh of an infected human doesn't appear to cause it to spread, though they may not have had enough time to find out.

Is it limited to the US.. North America.. The world??

Bigger and bigger questions...etc etc...

As a reader I guess it really doesn't matter if he does or doesn't know right now, but this is the sort of thing that creates the holes in a story later on if he doesn't. That being said the entire series so far is goddamn amazing and i blew through all the trades, from start to current, in about 3 days.

on a side note how much should we be using spoiler tags this far into the thread?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Everyone is already infected with the zombie virus. You die, regardless of it being to a zombie or not, you turn into a zombie.

Shot in the head? Zombie.
Have your throat ripped out by a zombie? Zombie.
Decapitated? Zombie head.
Die of old age? Grandpa Zombie.

They're quite literally 'The Walking Dead'

The other method is a zombie bite will turn you into one by 'activating' the zombie virus, killing you and turning you into one. So when Allen was bitten they tried to amputate his leg to stop the virus spreading too far, but he died of shock/blood loss/too much zombie juice in the system and turned.
Dale had pretty much the exact same thing happen to him, but after amputating his infected leg he lived.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
If you get shot in the head you're not a zombie. Destroying the brain is what kills Kirkman-zombies.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

So if its not the bite that makes you a zombie, is Jim (hat guy with the dead family) possibly still alive?

ChickenSuit
Apr 2, 2002

"You know I love you back."

Manwithastick posted:

So if its not the bite that makes you a zombie, is Jim (hat guy with the dead family) possibly still alive?

No, if you die at all you become a zombie. If you are bitten and the zombie virus takes hold of you like it obviously did with Jim, you're going to die. Jim never had his arm amputated so the virus was killing him.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
To be clear, zombie bites kill you, they do not turn you into a zombie. Being dead turns you into a zombie.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

So again, not reading this thread due to not being caught up at all, but I just finished the 4th hardcover and :wtf::wtf::wtf:. Everyone just loving died :(

Lori and the baby were the most shocking, but Tyrese was definitely the hardest to watch. My god.

Colonel Pancreas fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 8, 2010

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

More vague thoughts a few issues into Vol. 5:

1) On "what caused the zombies": So far, the trend seems to be a bunch of people have crazy theories on what caused everything ("I prayed to get clean," "Human genome project") and that's how I'd expect it to continue. I'd love if the end of the series, should it ever come, is one last theory that suggests an answer but doesn't conclude it.

2) On an end: I still have a ways to go before I'm current, but I really feel like the series is going to go from Rick-centric to Shane-centric soon, and probably in a bloody, violent, unpleasant way. Reboot did this and I thought it was awesome as a kid, and if we got a 5 year time-skip or something like that I'd honestly be okay with it.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
Shane's dead man.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

goodfuldead posted:

Shane's dead man.

And that's why I don't read the thread :( At least now I've earned my Wildcards tag in true fashion, I suppose.

That really sucks, though. Waiting for the HCs is gonna be a bitch and a half.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Colonel Pancreas posted:

And that's why I don't read the thread :( At least now I've earned my Wildcards tag in true fashion, I suppose.

That really sucks, though. Waiting for the HCs is gonna be a bitch and a half.

Shane's been dead since the first trade. I think you mean Carl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Geekboy posted:

Shane's been dead since the first trade. I think you mean Carl.

:glomp:

I'm just gonna stop posting in this thread now.

• Locked thread