Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

diospadre posted:

yeah id hate to have a business with a lot of customers

Yes, but see, in Lykourgos's rather distorted world view, the owner should have recognized him as a member of the gentry and offered him a table ahead of the unfortunate bourgeois that also frequent the establishment. Then he could properly spend the morning talking out his rear end and not tipping because he's above such "common nonsense" or some poo poo like that. I don't read his posts anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

10-8 posted:

Congrats!

Between HooKars becoming employed and someone else in the thread being on the cusp of not dying alone, I'm concerned that the thread's motto may be in danger of becoming obsolete.

What if, at the moment of death, I am alone? Does that count?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yes, but see, in Lykourgos's rather distorted world view, the owner should have recognized him as a member of the gentry and offered him a table ahead of the unfortunate bourgeois that also frequent the establishment. Then he could properly spend the morning talking out his rear end and not tipping because he's above such "common nonsense" or some poo poo like that. I don't read his posts anymore.

To be fair, this is actually a common view among Chicago law enforcement. Pretty soon he'll be threatening to bring the health inspectors down on places where he doesn't get seats fast enough, and his descent into the machine here will be complete.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

MaximumBob posted:

Does murder-suicide count as dying alone?

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Unamuno posted:

Does murder-suicide count as dying alone?

It does if you make sure the other victims are dead, first.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Lykourgos posted:

They tried to pull that "different types of bacon" rubbish on me; I don't want to hear all the stupid flavourings or methods of smoking they use, I just want a piece of bacon that is actually worthy of that name. Also, B&E was packed full of noisy dickheads, it took fifty minutes to get a seat, and they don't know how to make a cup of tea. Pro-tip: if you're a breakfast place and it takes fifty minutes to get a seat, just close your doors/shoot yourself
Next time I go in there I'm definitely asking the staff if they remember you. P.S. if you have to wait fifty minutes to get a seat, that means it's a popular establishment and any problems you have are probably yours and yours alone.

MaximumBob posted:

You won't be alone, because I'll always be there. In the bushes. With the telephoto lens. :stalker: I'm still mad you wouldn't let me watch. You know I like to watch.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

GamingHyena posted:

Well I mean who doesn't enjoy a 7 day work week?

I seriously think I'm getting burned out. Older lawyers, does it ever get better? :(

It does get better, but never really gets "good" unless you have f-u money saved up. It takes a while to feel confident enough to say "no" to new work when you are overloaded. It takes awhile to get a handle on how much work a particular project will entail, so you know what you are taking on. It takes awhile to understand your own capabilities, so that you can relax on a Sunday and say to yourself "I can handle that on Monday."

Once you get a handle on work balance, some of the anxiety drops away. However, there is always something you could be doing on your files, so you have nagging anxiety when you try to relax. Law firms are also usually pretty charged workplaces, full of drama and intrigue, so there is that stressor.

Above the Law recently linked to an essay by a former biglaw associate where he describes the feeling of being an associate as constantly feeling like you were "in trouble," like when you did something bad as a kid. I totally agree with that assesment. But eventually, you get old enough that you are the dad or the mom in the analogous relationship, and different stressors take over, i.e. do I have enough work, why are my partners stealing my money, do I really have to fire this person, etc.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Reminder that this is good ole Ashton O'Dwyer, the guy who declared his house a sovereign nation after Katrina and who called Federal District Judge Ivan Lemelle a "Negro" in a handwritten contempt opposition

Somebody should collect stuff like this and post it in one place, like a legal equivalent of lamebook

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 19, 2013

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
This sheisty girl from my class had the status "Feeling so Legally Blonde today." Turns out she's starting at American U. Law. I know it's not the level of your own schadenfreude, but in what universe is American University the same thing as Harvard?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

billion dollar bitch posted:

This sheisty girl from my class had the status "Feeling so Legally Blonde today." Turns out she's starting at American U. Law. I know it's not the level of your own schadenfreude, but in what universe is American University the same thing as Harvard?

You know which university the girl from Legally Blonde went to, I think you still lose.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

billion dollar bitch posted:

but in what universe is American University the same thing as Harvard?

This one; it's the job market and vulgar perception that creates the difference.

GregNorc posted:

So Facebook's magical schadenfreude-support algorithm shot a status update from some chick who ditched me for an annoying hipster douche to the top of my news feed.

"1 more day of freedom then I'm officially a 1L. yikes."

Turns out she's going to some lovely local T3 law school. As in, ABA acredited, by it doesn't even have a US News and World report rank.

Does it make me a terrible person that reading it made me snicker?

no, youre def. not terrible for snickering.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

GregNorc posted:

You know which university the girl from Legally Blonde went to, I think you still lose.

I've been to Legally Blonde: The Musical, let me tell you about all the things it got wrong

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Were you dragged there by a lady or did you go of your own volition? This is an important detail

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

GamingHyena posted:

Welp, got handed another batch of files on Friday so it looks like I'll be spending another weekend at the office

Is it possible to be burned out after 3 years? gently caress this profession.

I seriously think I'm getting burned out. Older lawyers, does it ever get better? :(

I don't think burnout is a function of age or experience or "getting used to it." However, older attorneys may feel less burnout because they're less willing to put up with situations that cause burnout.

I think there are three primary factors that cause burnout. In descending order of importance, they are:
The kind of work you're doing.
Who you're working for/with
How much you work.

The more interesting and meaningful your work is, the less likely you are to burn out. This is by far the most important factor.
The more you like and get along with your bosses, coworkers and clients, the less likely you are to burn out.
The less time you spend at work, the less likely you are to burn out. This is the least important factor in avoiding burnout.

It's definitely possible to be burned out after 3 years.

I did semi-interesting but utterly value-less, soul crushing work for for bosses I couldn't stand for 45 hours a week, no weekends. I was burned out in three months.
How did it feel? Like what depression is supposed to feel like, except limited to one's work life. When that feeling started spilling over into the rest of my life, I quit.

On the other hand, for five years I did interesting, valuable work, for people who actually needed me, with people I love working with, for a good boss. I worked 60 hours a week, more during trial, and a couple weekends a month. I never felt burned out. I got tired, and balancing my family was hard and stressful (and not always successful) But burnout was never a factor.

Now I work less hours, with the same people, doing similar work (appeals rather than trial) Right now I've got temporary burnout, because of the particular case I'm working on. Although this case is about as vital as it gets, my work on it is ultimately meaningless. I know that no matter what I do, I will fail, and as a result a man will die. But when I'm done with this case, I'll take some leave and recharge and I won't feel burned out anymore.

Does it ever get better? If you're stuck doing work you hate, probably not. Sorry. Will you lose that "in trouble" feeling Solomon Grundy mentioned? Yes, but after three years at the same job you should be getting over that. (Unless there's a "who you're working for" problem - then you'll never lose that feeling until one of you leaves)

Do what gives your life meaning. If you have to eat at home and drive an old car, so be it. At least you won't be burned out.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

diospadre posted:

I've been to Legally Blonde: The Musical, let me tell you about all the things it got wrong

On impulse, I googled this after reading this post and I guess this is a real thing? Did you actually go to this? Serious q.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Solomon and Joat are more right than any of you can understand.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

prussian advisor posted:

On impulse, I googled this after reading this post and I guess this is a real thing? Did you actually go to this? Serious q.

Yes, girlfriend really wanted to go so I took her for her birthday, it was one of the low points of my life.

One thing blew my mind, there's this one fat character but she is singing and dancing around like crazy during the entire thing, and they do 10 shows a week. She must work really hard at staying fat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

diospadre posted:

Yes, girlfriend really wanted to go so I took her for her birthday, it was one of the low points of my life.

One thing blew my mind, there's this one fat character but she is singing and dancing around like crazy during the entire thing, and they do 10 shows a week. She must work really hard at staying fat.

Fatsuit?

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
I keep hearing of friends of mine deciding to go to these T3-T4 law schools and when I talk to them they seem to have no idea about anything that you guys talk about in this thread. Has the job market turned around in law such that it's now a good idea to attend a lower-tier institution? Reason I ask is because some of these friends of mine don't really seem like they LOVE LAW MUST DO THIS AS A LIFE PASSION. It's more of a YEP GONNA LAND ME A SWEET rear end JOB AFTER GRADUATING FROM LOYOLA YEA BUDDY!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Totally Negro posted:

I keep hearing of friends of mine deciding to go to these T3-T4 law schools and when I talk to them they seem to have no idea about anything that you guys talk about in this thread. Has the job market turned around in law such that it's now a good idea to attend a lower-tier institution? Reason I ask is because some of these friends of mine don't really seem like they LOVE LAW MUST DO THIS AS A LIFE PASSION. It's more of a YEP GONNA LAND ME A SWEET rear end JOB AFTER GRADUATING FROM LOYOLA YEA BUDDY!

They are just ignorant.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
A lot of people assure me that in three years the job market will be fine and they're making a smart investment.

Somehow they can't seem to realize it's not three years. It's one year. You have one year for the job market to recover because that's when OCI is.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Totally Negro posted:

Basically a lot of people only get their info from schools' admissions departments, so of course law school, any law school, looks like a fantastic opportunity.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I was out with a girl who is starting at a local T3 and she said, quote, "I want to do public interest, not join a firm, and they pay peanuts so I'll definitely get a job - they'll take anyone." After asking what sort of public interest she was interested in, she said environmental law. I asked if she had started to think about where she might want to work for her 1L summer:

"Well if I don't get a job with the EPA I figure I might want to stay here. There are a bunch of firms that do environmental stuff here."

This is true. We're in coal country, after all.

Every one of those firms is charged with representing one of the coal companies as it tries to circumvent environmental regulation.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecareerist/2010/08/more-law-schools-oy-vey.html

It's great because people always bitch about Muslims trying to implement Sharia.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Anyone else starting at Northwestern? Just moved to the area and have nothing to do for a week, if anyone wants to hang out. PM me or hoogilyboogily at gmail dot com, peace out yo

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
Interview update: Within 3 hours of arriving in Washington DC I stepped on and have been attacked by a squirrel.

Should I get a rabies shot before or after my interviews, also if I am freely bleeding from my ankle/calf it will just prove to the hiring partners how badass I am, right?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Direwolf posted:

Anyone else starting at Northwestern? Just moved to the area and have nothing to do for a week, if anyone wants to hang out. PM me or hoogilyboogily at gmail dot com, peace out yo

there's actually a number of lawgoons in Chicago, including myself. Somebody go organise something so I don't have to think. Maybe we can grab a pint at Cardozo's or something

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

“I just have a piece of paper that says I’m a lawyer,” said Rothman, who is considering a gig as a Revolutionary War-era re-enactor. (Though, after reviewing the job description, he concluded, “I’m actually unqualified.”)

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2010/08/irate_law_school_grads_say_the.html

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GamingHyena posted:

It's like a pie-eating contest where the prize is more pie.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

if I am freely bleeding from my ankle/calf it will just prove to the hiring partners how badass I am, right?

The hiring partners will see it as a sign of weakness, and potential disease. Your presence, your aura should be enough to cause the squirrel to retreat in terror from your legal magnificence. Also they wouldn't want you transmitting the plague to their office.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

JudicialRestraints posted:

Interview update: Within 3 hours of arriving in Washington DC I stepped on and have been attacked by a squirrel.

Should I get a rabies shot before or after my interviews, also if I am freely bleeding from my ankle/calf it will just prove to the hiring partners how badass I am, right?

I already told you, it didn't attack you if you stepped on it first. Keep your fat loving feet off our squirrels!

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday
Big Debt, Small Law has been deleted. I guess that dude shouldn't have outed himself.

http://bigdebtsmalllaw.wordpress.com/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Just got an offer woot

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

Big Debt, Small Law has been deleted. I guess that dude shouldn't have outed himself.

http://bigdebtsmalllaw.wordpress.com/

It's sad such a great resource is gone but it wouldn't surprise me if he signed a book deal.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

evilweasel posted:

Just got an offer woot

hey congrats man

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

evilweasel posted:

Just got an offer woot

Do you know any 3Ls who either worked at a firm and didn't get an offer, or who worked at non-firm jobs that either aren't in a position to make an offer yet or won't be hiring anyone next year? If so, what are they up to exactly?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

prussian advisor posted:

Do you know any 3Ls who either worked at a firm and didn't get an offer, or who worked at non-firm jobs that either aren't in a position to make an offer yet or won't be hiring anyone next year? If so, what are they up to exactly?

EIP right now, I assume, getting there early to get the slots opened up by the people canceling their schedule. Since school hasn't really started though the only other person I've talked to also got an offer, so I don't know.

I was planning on hitting all the governmental honors programs if I didn't, so that would probably be what other people are looking at - Career Services in an unusual fit of usefulness sent out an email a little while ago with those.

edit: double-checking, since it was useful of course it wasn't from career services it was sent out by the Domestic and Pro Bono Programs office.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 16, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Congrats to all of you who got jobs.

Every few hours I spiral into a dark depression when I realize that I turned down an offer. This is killing me. A part of me knows it was the right move but then I start imagining that it's a year later and I'm sucking dick for traffic ticket defense gigs.

On a lighter note, a seminar I'm in has a $10k bounty for the best essay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Do 1Ls typically intern, or do you wait until summer after 2L?