Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ExecuDork posted:

Is this a widely-used technique for this kind of repair? I don't currently have any problems of that nature, but if ever find I do, is this a method that ends with a fixed vehicle, or is there some underlying problem (metal fatigue?) that won't be addressed? How does an insurance company feel about something like this?

I have no idea. This is a temporary repair on a $400 Jeep to get me by until next year, when the entire body will be removed from the frame, and damaged areas cut out and replaced with reproduction patch panels.

dissss posted:

With all that rust metal fatigue would be the least of your worries.

Precisely. I'm just trying to get the floorpan back to its original shape so I can repair/reinforce the seat/seatbelt/rollbar mounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

jammyozzy posted:

Re-installed my radio (again), easily the biggest hack-job I've ever done to a car. I pulled out the fusebox, took one look at it and thought 'gently caress that', so I pulled the wiring plug out of my useless cigarette lighter, crimped a blade onto the radio's wire and poked it into the plug.

I feel like a tool, but at least it works.

*Edit* I'm sure this will make BabyHitler want to murder me in cold blood.

Which wire did you connect to the cig lighter?

If it was switched power, the radio is going to get power whenever the cig lighter is on, which on some cars (imports) depends on the position of the ignition switch, and on other cars (USA USA USA!) is on all the time.

If it was unswitched power that circuit may not have a high enough fuse rating to support a high power aftermarket deck.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Should point out I've left the cigarette lighter disconnected, I don't smoke and I can't plug a charger into it without punching it when going for 3rd or 5th gear. The radio is now the only thing on that circuit.

It's switched power, but this isn't some crazy audio set-up it's just a crappy little head unit driving the original speakers. The only reason I'm doing this is because the car had no radio when I bought it. It probably farts out less wattage than what was there originally.

The cigarette lighter was fused at 20A while the original radio circuit was fused at 15A, so I replaced the 20A for another 15A fuse and it hasn't gone pop after a day's testing.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Sold this rusted hunk after the timing belt snapped. It was a good little car (70,000km without an oil change) but I guess I finally managed to kill it.

edit: god damnit i hate not being able to resize attachments.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Crustashio posted:

Sold this rusted hunk after the timing belt snapped. It was a good little car (70,000km without an oil change) but I guess I finally managed to kill it.

edit: god damnit i hate not being able to resize attachments.

Wow, my mom has a 96 Civic LX that doesn't even have 70k km on it. How do you let a car go 70k between oil changes?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Crustashio posted:

It was a good little car (70,000km without an oil change) but I guess I finally managed to kill it.

This is not a measure of a good car. This is a measure of a bad owner.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MrSaturn posted:

This is not a measure of a good car. This is a measure of a bad owner.

It may have been good at one point, but it's sure not any more.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Wow, my mom has a 96 Civic LX that doesn't even have 70k km on it. How do you let a car go 70k between oil changes?

I bought it cheaply during university and wanted to see how far it could go. The thing is rusty beyond any repair and would never pass a safety inspection again without major work. I do regular maintenance on my other cars, this one was just to drive it until it died.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Please tell me you took an oil sample and sent it to Blackstone. I'd love to see that report!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I attempted to debadge it. The dealer emblem came off just fine, but "Cutlass Supreme SL" took off some paint with it so I had to put it back on. :(

Before:

ffffffffuuuuu:

Back on:

I wanted to fix the "m" on the Oldsmobile one too, but it has clear plastic over it, so I cant get to the painted part. :(:(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Pull that dent out with a suction cup! It'll look loads better.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Yesterday I took the wheels off my MG and took them into NTB to have some TireRack rubber mounted and balanced. I know it's a slightly obsessive way to do it, but I rarely trust anyone else with my car.

I got the wheels put on at home and the car shook
violently above 45mph.

Drove back over to NTB and they said I had to make an appointment the next day to fix their screwup!

Took the car back in today, and their senior tech couldn't figure out how to fit it on their lift, so he picked the car up with 4 floorjacks and no stands.

He spun the wheels up on the balancer and said, "They're all off about 5 ounces a piece. The last guy probably used that machine-- it sucks."

What the hell? I've found another place I'm never going again. Stealing an extra one of my mornings, improperly lifting my vehicle, knowingly using poor equipment, and generally not giving a poo poo.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

TireRack Bullshit

Do us all a favor and call corporate on their asses? Nobody needs to go flying off the road because of that kind of idiocy.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Installed a new CB antenna to replace my crappy $10 walmart one. Also I checked some SWRzzz before going to an open field to calibrate the antenna.

Don't mind me, just driving around with a giant antenna!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

To be continued...

Continuation, with slightly more sophisticated tools...

...that I can't use because the entire frame is below the body.

So it's back to clamping and hammering, leaving me with this:

Good enough for the short run.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Cage posted:

I attempted to debadge it. The dealer emblem came off just fine, but "Cutlass Supreme SL" took off some paint with it so I had to put it back on. :(

Before:

ffffffffuuuuu:

Did you use dental floss and a hot air gun, or did you just pull on it?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mr.Peabody posted:

Did you use dental floss and a hot air gun, or did you just pull on it?
A hairdryer, actually. I used it for a minute or so and just ran some dental floss back and forth. It kept breaking though, so use fishing line if you have it.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Cage posted:

A hairdryer, actually. I used it for a minute or so and just ran some dental floss back and forth. It kept breaking though, so use fishing line if you have it.

If the bond is strong enough to break floss, the epoxy is still bonded to the paint... which is what caused your paint to peel off. Don't use fishing line, or high tensile strength steel cables... It should be warm enough that it literally takes one smooth swipe and the letters pile off. With such old badges, you really want to make sure the epoxy is heated completely and throughly and a minute under the hair dryer is superficial at best.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mr.Peabody posted:

If the bond is strong enough to break floss, the epoxy is still bonded to the paint... which is what caused your paint to peel off. Don't use fishing line, or high tensile strength steel cables... It should be warm enough that it literally takes one smooth swipe and the letters pile off. With such old badges, you really want to make sure the epoxy is heated completely and throughly and a minute under the hair dryer is superficial at best.
All the youtube videos Ive seen never had the guy just make one smooth swipe. They all had to go back and forth just like I did.

Doesn't matter now, I kinda expected it to happen with a 15 year old car anyway. At least the dealer badge came off fine.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Cage posted:

All the youtube videos Ive seen never had the guy just make one smooth swipe. They all had to go back and forth just like I did.

Doesn't matter now, I kinda expected it to happen with a 15 year old car anyway. At least the dealer badge came off fine.

I'm just speaking from my experience debadging my car, I can't speak for any Youtube videos.. but once the epoxy gets hot enough any bonding to the paint is really weak and my letters kinda popped off as I pulled across it. I didn't need any sawing motion. I know it's too late to worry about your car, I was just posting for posterity's sake.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mr.Peabody posted:

I'm just speaking from my experience debadging my car, I can't speak for any Youtube videos.. but once the epoxy gets hot enough any bonding to the paint is really weak and my letters kinda popped off as I pulled across it. I didn't need any sawing motion. I know it's too late to worry about your car, I was just posting for posterity's sake.
Sorry for the attitude, Im just secretly mad and stubborn about my method. >:|

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?

Put ten drunks in a '84 245t+i.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Well a few pages back I posted up pictures of my new exhaust. What I didn't mention is that since it was a turbo-back being made, and I had a spare EGT sensor just lying around, I got them to fit that sensor. They then just cable tied the wire up in my engine bay and I finally got around to hooking it up to my Defi link controller.

Took it for a test run and it seemed to work. Got onto a nice deserted country lane and gave it a boot. Got to about 680 degrees C and then there's this strong smell of burning plastic, poo poo poo poo poo poo.

Pull over and have a look in the engine bay, can't find anything wrong. I decide to turn around and limp the car home, then I get that smell again, only as I'm going slower I notice that a bunch of caravanners are burning rubbish in a field.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the front pads and rotors on my sister-in-law's Bonneville SSEi. Took four hours because I kept going inside to cool off and get hydrated and I still loving got heat stroke. Threw up all the food I had eaten and had a splitting headache for hours. I had wanted to do the rears too but I'll do them next weekend.

Every bolt and rotor was rusted on, and the inside pad on the pass side was down past the backing plate (probably the grinding she heard).

Crispulus posted:

Put ten drunks in a '84 245t+i.

You are my hero.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Installed a new CB antenna to replace my crappy $10 walmart one. Also I checked some SWRzzz before going to an open field to calibrate the antenna.

Don't mind me, just driving around with a giant antenna!

You are also my hero. Although the term 'MATLAB' gives me many a nightmare.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Turned 57,000 miles on the way to the lake. New exhaust & high-flow cat coming soon.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Beautiful. Which exhaust and cat?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DogDodger posted:

Beautiful. Which exhaust and cat?

APR exhaust most likely. Still deciding on the HFC but my shop can get me a good deal on a Techtonic.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

DropShadow posted:

APR exhaust most likely. Still deciding on the HFC but my shop can get me a good deal on a Techtonic.

You have a very nice car. I wish I had an Audi wagon. There's a beautiful one just like yours on the jogging path I frequent and I break-neck every time I jog past it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Lum posted:

only as I'm going slower I notice that a bunch of caravanners are burning rubbish in a field.
I drive partly by smell (3rd-gen Preludes don't have cabin air filters), and this kind of thing happens all the drat time. It's gotten to the point I ignore any and all automobile-type smells if I'm around any other cars at all, after spending one too many traffic jams paranoid about a simultaneous fuel leak, exhaust leak, and coolant leak. It was just the poorly-maintained pick-up trucks around me.

Driving past pig farms I check my pants for brown spots. :(

Also, I am still insanely jealous about your Cefiro. Goddamn that's a fine car.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I drive partly by smell (3rd-gen Preludes don't have cabin air filters), and this kind of thing happens all the drat time. It's gotten to the point I ignore any and all automobile-type smells if I'm around any other cars at all, after spending one too many traffic jams paranoid about a simultaneous fuel leak, exhaust leak, and coolant leak. It was just the poorly-maintained pick-up trucks around me.

Oh god, had this so many times over the years: "Oh poo poo I'm burning oil!"
*Is driving behind a 1989 Ford Fiesta*
*Fiesta's entire rear left light cluster starts flashing on and off*
*Fiesta makes a left turn*
*Smell goes away*

quote:

Also, I am still insanely jealous about your Cefiro. Goddamn that's a fine car.
:smug:

Thanks though. :)

Lum fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 16, 2010

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
The green monster won 3rd place in a car show!

You know, this beast.

I think it was the con-rod exhaust hanger that brought the judges around.

Also, there was only one other truck in my class.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Wash, wax, & polish. One of the greatest feelings in the world, up there with warm socks straight from the dryer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DropShadow posted:

66,666 miles on the way to the farmer's market Sunday:

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

AWD wagon buddies for life! :wotwot:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the Volvo's wiper motor assembly with a used (but working!) one I found for $50 shipped.

I had help putting it in, too!

Easy as hell on this car, took a half hour tops.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

trouser chili posted:

The green monster won 3rd place in a car show!

You know, this beast.

I think it was the con-rod exhaust hanger that brought the judges around.

Also, there was only one other truck in my class.
Wait, how did you win 3rd if there were only 2 vehicles in the competition? Did the other truck break in half, and take the top 2 spots?

Trouser Chili, I live in Saskatchewan, which is basically one big wheat farm the size of France. International Harvester is very big here. I've been meaning to stop into a dealership sometime (they're generally not open on Sundays when I get out and about) and buying some swag - I look good in red. Are you interested in a hat or a shirt or something?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Redid the power steering on my H1, broke a harbor freight pitman puller in doing so. Put a new steering box on, new return hoses, new pitman and idler arm and refilled the system with synthetic power steering fluid.

I had a new power steering cooler to install, but the weld nuts on my old one were stripped and I didn't feel like removing the fan to get enough access room to deal with it at this point and time :effort: maybe next week I'll drain some fluid out and do the cooler then.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ExecuDork posted:

Wait, how did you win 3rd if there were only 2 vehicles in the competition? Did the other truck break in half, and take the top 2 spots?

Well, I guess it just wasn't good enough to win 2nd!

ExecuDork posted:

Trouser Chili, I live in Saskatchewan, which is basically one big wheat farm the size of France. International Harvester is very big here. I've been meaning to stop into a dealership sometime (they're generally not open on Sundays when I get out and about) and buying some swag - I look good in red. Are you interested in a hat or a shirt or something?

Aw thanks, but I've got tons of IH shwag. Been to Saskatchewan once or twice by canoe. I can attest to it's wheatie-ness. Felt like I was in Kansas, but in a canoe.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Pulled the doors off of my car. Planning on getting a driver's side mirror to keep it legal to drive.

(My car sucks so this makes it cool, right?)

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Put new alternators in both the RX-8 and Echo. drat things both going at the same time. Both are 2004s too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Stuck a boost controller on it.

(1992 Volvo 940)