Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Iggles posted:

Laugh it up, Denton

I really enjoyed Thursday but I enjoyed The Napoleon of Notting Hill (just the one extract in DX as far as I know) even more. It's also the direct inspiration for Neverwhere, if you're a Gaiman fan.

Do these stories have any relation to Deus Ex at all? Like theme-wise or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Do these stories have any relation to Deus Ex at all? Like theme-wise or something?
That's a question I've always had too. I used to have this nagging feeling I was missing out on something when I skipped out on reading the books in favour of the news papers in the game.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Yes, basically everything written in the game has some relevance -- either to the main story, your immediate actions, or the philosophical concepts underpinning the whole thing. It's a very well-written game.

If you find something that doesn't seem related to anything, it might be related to something that was cut (the newspaper articles about the lunar mass driver are a big one).

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

orange lime posted:

If you find something that doesn't seem related to anything, it might be related to something that was cut (the newspaper articles about the lunar mass driver are a big one).

Do you mind explaining that one a little bit? I'm curious but don't feel like sifting through the DX bible.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Isn't that the China/EU lunar mining project that is a great success up until the first load crash lands on Earth and kill hundreds?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Isn't that the China/EU lunar mining project that is a great success up until the first load crash lands on Earth and kill hundreds?

Yeah. IIRC, the AI controlling it went rogue and you were supposed to go to the moon and shut her down. That's what Area 51 was supposed to be, originally.

I'd really like a mod for Deus Ex that attempts to add back everything that was cut.

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

Consider this my resignation.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Ah yes the oft talked about lunar mission that was cut but sounded totally awesome.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

quote:

"First of all, what is it really all about? What is it you object to? You want to abolish Government?"

"To abolish God!" said Gregory, opening the eyes of a fanatic. "We do not only want to upset a few despotisms and police regulations; that sort of anarchism does exist, but it is a mere branch of the Nonconformists. We dig deeper and we blow you higher. We wish to deny all those arbitrary distinctions of vice and virtue, honour and treachery, upon which mere rebels base themselves. The silly sentimentalists of the French Revolution talked of the Rights of Man! We hate Rights as we hate Wrongs. We have abolished Right and Wrong."

Yeah, pretty much.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Grand Fromage posted:

Fanks fer stickin' it in!

ahaha holy poo poo :golfclap:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

You cut out one of the best lines in that exchange :(

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
A lot of the cut content sounds like it would have been awesome. drat, the developers were ambitious.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's amazing how much content is still in the game anyway, I couldn't believe it when I found out I wasn't even halfway done with the game after breaking out of the MJ12 base.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Norsu posted:

Here's a small scene that is easy to miss if don't explore every nook and cranny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb0OVkyiMR0

How do you open up this area? I've always had to noclip through the door.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Capn Beeb posted:

LAM works (and doesn't piss off the cops as long if you blow it up with a silenced weapon)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mp5 posted:

You cut out one of the best lines in that exchange :(

It was just a joke though, rather than anything thematically relevant.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Capn Beeb posted:

You can smash the glass with any weapon

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm doing an absolutely no kills playthrough on medium. Every single person hostile to me I've just knocked out including the MJ12 lab in the sewers. I'm at the Lebedev/Navarre point and I'm stuck. Even if Navarre does just blow up when you "knock her out" I still refuse to use lethal force against her.

I've tried gas grenades (I guess she's immune), pepper spray (see point 1), and tranq shots (if these work it takes insanely long and I can't kite her away since she runs back and kills Lebedev before finishing me off), and beating her to death with the baton seems impossible since she kills me off incredibly quick.

Any advice? Any way to game this part? Or should I just let Lebedev die?

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Can't you knock out Lebedev and that'll still count?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Vita posted:

Can't you knock out Lebedev and that'll still count?

Interesting. I hadn't even considered that. But, I'd still rather knock the bitch out. :/

Of course, if that really is my only way out of it then I guess it'll have to suffice.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
An idea I had recently is to do a tech affinity playthrough, basically the equivalent of a pacifist run, but for technology. No hacking, no lockpicking, no multitools, no destroying bots/cameras/etc. At the same time, kill every living thing possible. Merge with Helios at the end to assist in dominating the human race. I think I'll be doing this my next run.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
This thread inspired me to play for the first time, despite the fact I got it for free (bundled with a sound card) shortly after it came out. I tried to play it at the time but lost interest, mostly because my attention span was pretty short at the time and it was so unlike anything I'd played before. I recently beat it and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it in spite of its age. The only drawback was the horrendous "foreign" voice acting as soon as you leave the States. I guess they had to do something, and it would've been weird to have the NPCs speaking their native language and JC speaking English, but the foreign NPCs like Americans mocking foreign accents. I was kind of hoping at least one French dude would say "Huhn huhn!" I also lost Jock because I was too stupid to figure out how to turn in the shady mechanic. What a shame.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just started playing again, and a while ago I guess I installed Shifter, didn't play it, and forgot I had ever done it. That lead to what was probably the most confused Liberty Island playthrough ever. "What? Since when have there been different kinds of soda? Where did these rockets come from? WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PRECIOUS LASER SIGHT!:byodood:"
Oh, and is there anyway to tune down the GUI upscaling? I've been looking and having no luck.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

XausF1 posted:

Interesting. I hadn't even considered that. But, I'd still rather knock the bitch out. :/

Of course, if that really is my only way out of it then I guess it'll have to suffice.

I think certain enemies are immune to nonlethal damage (practically, anyways). Navarre is one of them. Gunther and Simons are also impossible to knock out, but you can just run away from them.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

XausF1 posted:

You can get some crates from the hold airfield/hold of the plane and block her way to Lebedev if you don't want anyone to die in there

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
I seem to be stuck in the missile silo, I am at the part where I have to go into the missile bay proper, but there are so many Agents with plasma rifles. And I am really low on bio power.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

I seem to be stuck in the missile silo, I am at the part where I have to go into the missile bay proper, but there are so many Agents with plasma rifles. And I am really low on bio power.

WP rockets solve all problems, always.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

A neat thing I discovered last playthrough - just past the silo door, at the start of the corridor leading to the missile bay, there's a grate in the floor that leads to a water pool below the missile. From there you can reach the lift. Take it up as high as it goes (I think), and you can then deal with Howard Strong, having avoided most or all of the agents.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I was glancing around the thread and early on someone mentioned being able to let Lebedev escape on the plane and then he helps you later? I knew you could kill Navarre but that always ended up with him being arrested anyway.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tarezax posted:

Gunther and Simons are also impossible to knock out, but you can just run away from them.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Its not exactly easy but, eh, its possible.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I believe Gunther kills Lebedev if you or Anna don't.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To2KassxUeE

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

You would think I'd be tired of things like this by now, but nope.

I am a child.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

I too am a man child and find that quite funny.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I am a wealthy, classy dude who drinks expensive scotch while sitting in my Bauhaus home and I found it quite funny.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Wow, I just ran into the most bizarre glitch. My first trip back to New York right after Hong Kong. Martial law, UNATCO and Riot Cops on the street with a mech. I sneak into Underworld, talk with Filben, the marine and then I head out. I lean around the corner, fire off a tranq dart at a riot cop, and wait for him to pass out. Then... chaos. The Riot Cop runs up to me and starts shooting and then UNATCO troops join in only they're shooting at the riot cops! I don't mean because of friendly fire, I mean every single one of them starts shooting at any riot cops they see including the mech which starts firing back.

Wow.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

You should have seen the MJ12 vs UNATCO vs riot cop poo poo storm I posted a while back. You know what I mean.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pope Guilty posted:

I believe Gunther kills Lebedev if you or Anna don't.

How do you get Gunther to even show up?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Lowen SoDium posted:

How do you get Gunther to even show up?

He always shows up. You run into him on the way back to the helicopter. He wanders around and won't actually kill Lebedev in-engine, but NPCs refer to it later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Male Man posted:

He always shows up. You run into him on the way back to the helicopter. He wanders around and won't actually kill Lebedev in-engine, but NPCs refer to it later on.

So what if you killed Gunther already or kill him right there, and also kill Navarre?