Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I figured it was just another case of "gently caress it, no one is going to sue us because we're basically an indy fed" where they just played the music and didn't ask permission or pay for it.

I'm surprised Heyman was legit with the music.

That is what people assume for the early days, but as time went on he had to get legit since ECW just got too big.

But Heyman had some ridiculous contacts for a guy filming promos in his mother's basement. Lance Storm played hardball with him before Barely Legal to get a visa. Heyman had him lying when he came into the country and Lance was sick of it and told him to get him a visa. So Heyman puts it off and puts it off, and then a week before the event Lance talks to his lawyer and is told the paperwork just started... and then two days later it goes through. The lawyer tells him he's NEVER seen a visa go through that quick and that Heyman must really know some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MassRayPer posted:

But Heyman had some ridiculous contacts for a guy filming promos in his mother's basement. Lance Storm played hardball with him before Barely Legal to get a visa. Heyman had him lying when he came into the country and Lance was sick of it and told him to get him a visa. So Heyman puts it off and puts it off, and then a week before the event Lance talks to his lawyer and is told the paperwork just started... and then two days later it goes through. The lawyer tells him he's NEVER seen a visa go through that quick and that Heyman must really know some people.

To clarify this, Lance Storm didn't play hardball. He had been getting on Heyman to get his visa done fir a while with no result. After a while he's finally caught at customs (I think by a wrestling fan) and warned that if he comes in again without a visa he'll be denied entry into the US indefinitely. Lance calls Heyman, tells him what happened and he's rightfully unwilling to risk his ability to work in the US, and tells Heyman he's done without a visa. Whether or not he was sick of it he couldn't lie anymore.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

That is what people assume for the early days, but as time went on he had to get legit since ECW just got too big.

No wonder people put so much faith in Heyman after he continuously conned them. The guy could get poo poo done when it counted.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

No wonder people put so much faith in Heyman after he continuously conned them. The guy could get poo poo done when it counted.

Well that and for many of the wrestlers he was their last best chance to be on TV and make something of their wrestling careers.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Which makes his symphony of terrible business decisions in ECW all the more frustrating - if he hadn't spread himself so thin, it probably would have lasted longer.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Which WWE shows are broadcast in surround sound? Last night was my first time personally ordering a PPV, and it was in stereo as far as I could tell. Meanwhile I could swear I've heard some rear-channel stuff on other shows before. Or are my ears just playing tricks on me?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was one Botchamania, I saw it just the other day, where Maffew's recapping a TNA PPV and Consequences Creed takes a bump outside and just goes "OHHHH MY GOD" and it's the funniest goddamn thing, and I'm trying to remember which Botchamania it was. Can anyone help me? :shobon:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Minidust posted:

Which WWE shows are broadcast in surround sound? Last night was my first time personally ordering a PPV, and it was in stereo as far as I could tell. Meanwhile I could swear I've heard some rear-channel stuff on other shows before. Or are my ears just playing tricks on me?

The rear channel should just be the Smackdown! "Aaaaaaaaahhhh!" cheer over and over.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There was one Botchamania, I saw it just the other day, where Maffew's recapping a TNA PPV and Consequences Creed takes a bump outside and just goes "OHHHH MY GOD" and it's the funniest goddamn thing, and I'm trying to remember which Botchamania it was. Can anyone help me? :shobon:

To add a second request to this botchamania question, I've been trying to find the one where Shelton Benjamin (I think) goes running up the ring steps and his momentum just carries him right over the other sidee and he goes flying and it's all very humorous.

Little help?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Has Bret Hart ever had a singles match against HHH? I feel as though it had to have happened at least once but I can't think of any matches off the top of my head.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Chunky Delight posted:

Has Bret Hart ever had a singles match against HHH? I feel as though it had to have happened at least once but I can't think of any matches off the top of my head.

Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6xCbiUDpH0

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

cucka posted:

To add a second request to this botchamania question, I've been trying to find the one where Shelton Benjamin (I think) goes running up the ring steps and his momentum just carries him right over the other sidee and he goes flying and it's all very humorous.

Little help?

To add a third that I've been searching for on and off for a long time. Which botchamania had the raven vs jarrett match where they hit each other with everything and then it ended with the stroke?

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE

cucka posted:

Little help?
Conveniently, it was made part of the Best of Botchamania.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Other than D'lo/Severn, has there even been an angle of a guy getting injured seriously via a submission move?

I was just reflecting today how in the WWE, submissions can be held for a very long time, but never do any damage more than "really really hurt."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Volcano Style posted:

Conveniently, it was made part of the Best of Botchamania.

Dragon Dragon is the best. I swear I wish WWE had room for more of this goofy fun attitude every now and then. Like, on Superstars or a lower show.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Axo Grande posted:

Other than D'lo/Severn, has there even been an angle of a guy getting injured seriously via a submission move?

I was just reflecting today how in the WWE, submissions can be held for a very long time, but never do any damage more than "really really hurt."

Bill Watts had an angle in Mid-South where Terry Gordy put him in an Asiatic Spike for three minutes, to the point where Watts was coughing up blood. And I'm sure Kurt Angle and/or Ken Shamrock had one with the anklelock they both used.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

When Randy Orton was in his huge backstage troublemaker phase and was on future endeavorwatch, they suspended him with the kayfabe explanation that Kurt Angle had broken his ankle.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Gatts posted:

Dragon Dragon is the best. I swear I wish WWE had room for more of this goofy fun attitude every now and then. Like, on Superstars or a lower show.

Its the crowd that makes it work though. A Chikara crowd doesnt take itself very seriously and that is what makes the show work. I do not think a WWE crowd could let itself get into something as goofy as Dragon Dragon or the Olsen slow-mo match. Hell, WH2K would explode with sperg rage if WWE tried something half as goofy.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

El Axo Grande posted:

Its the crowd that makes it work though. A Chikara crowd doesnt take itself very seriously and that is what makes the show work. I do not think a WWE crowd could let itself get into something as goofy as Dragon Dragon or the Olsen slow-mo match. Hell, WH2K would explode with sperg rage if WWE tried something half as goofy.

You need to ease into that level of goofyness. For Chikara, it's well established that we have supervillains, ants, a guy whose finisher involves an imaginary grenade, a guy who is created by the fans and time traveling break dancers so it's not quite so jarring compared to WWE which is all serious business.

Hornswoggle is probably the best example of how jarring it can be.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

El Axo Grande posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTCWske0nOQ

Then there's stuff like the May 19th beached whale mat wrestling match, pretty much everything Shawn Michaels said or did while in DX, etc.

I mean, think about it. Shawn Michaels' last WWE run began when he quit a short order cook job.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Hornswoggle is probably the best example of how jarring it can be.

But remember how everyone sperged over the Hornswoggle vs Noble/Carlito bits? Smarks straight up refuse to like that stuff

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTCWske0nOQ

Then there's stuff like the May 19th beached whale mat wrestling match, pretty much everything Shawn Michaels said or did while in DX, etc.

I mean, think about it. Shawn Michaels' last WWE run began when he quit a short order cook job.

Even if it's stuff like that, like Shawn's segments, it's fantastic and entertaining. Or the Rock and Sacramento. Or Austin singing. I mean, that's great poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

El Axo Grande posted:

But remember how everyone sperged over the Hornswoggle vs Noble/Carlito bits? Smarks straight up refuse to like that stuff

This is mainly because it wasn't funny.

The Smackdown Juniors league (for the month it lasted) was pretty good.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Most of these WWE examples are segments that happened outside the ring though. Something like that imaginary grenade finisher is a whole different category of goofy.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This is mainly because it wasn't funny.

Wrong

If you cannot appreciate trying to catch a leprechaun in a rabbit trap with a box of Lucky Charms then gently caress you get off my planet only cool kids allowed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

El Axo Grande posted:

Wrong

If you cannot appreciate trying to catch a leprechaun in a rabbit trap with a box of Lucky Charms then gently caress you get off my planet only cool kids allowed.

Yeah everybody was hawing it up when Chavo (who is boring enough on his own) jobbed to Hornswoggle like fifty times in a row until people made him tweak out on Twitter.

Or Hornswoggle teleporting through walls and somehow Carlito not quitting WWE on the spot.

:argh:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

El Axo Grande posted:

Wrong

Hornswoggle paints a hole on the wall and runs through it.

Carlito tries to follow and runs into the wall.

Rage destroys the internet.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Burrito posted:

I seriously laughed for a minute when I saw that. Doing an honest to god Roadrunner skit on wrestling was amazing to me and to this day I have no idea how anyone could hate it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

El Axo Grande posted:

I seriously laughed for a minute when I saw that. Doing an honest to god Roadrunner skit on wrestling was amazing to me and to this day I have no idea how anyone could hate it.

Remember that people got mad when the WWE used a camera angle during a taped bit. Because they changed the camera angle people freaked out.

It seems that for a large group of people wrestling is fake enough so that if you do anything outside the realm of 'reality' it breaks their brains I guess.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Burrito posted:

Link? :)

FishBulb posted:

Remember that people got mad when the WWE used a camera angle during a taped bit. Because they changed the camera angle people freaked out.

You mean like Mankind v. The Rock in the empty arena match during the super bowl halftime, when Rock got pinned by the forklift?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Shitty_Wok posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0kKITr3NsI

Oh god I forgot the tip of the hat before he ran.

There was also the time he fought a bunch of midget versions of other wrestlers before he was in the rumble.

Midget Kane looked awesome.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Shitty_Wok posted:

You mean like Mankind v. The Rock in the empty arena match during the super bowl halftime, when Rock got pinned by the forklift?

Actually I was thinking of Undertaker's recent weed limo escapade but I'm sure there were nerds sperging about the empty arena match too.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Burrito posted:

Didn't laugh at this until Ron Simmons walked into the scene with his drat t-shirt and did his thing. Then it got me.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

FishBulb posted:

It seems that for a large group of people wrestling is fake enough so that if you do anything outside the realm of 'reality' it breaks their brains I guess.

It's a stupid argument for stupid people, but the idea is that since a single 180 degree cut (especially inside a magic weed limo) means you need to go through the rigmarole of setting up the new camera position it can't possibly be "live" any more.

Why it's that in particular that breaks the precious immersion, I'm not qualified to say, I loved that segment.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Burrito posted:

There was also the time he fought a bunch of midget versions of other wrestlers before he was in the rumble.

Midget Kane looked awesome.

Hahahaha holy poo poo

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Umbra Dubium posted:

It's a stupid argument for stupid people, but the idea is that since a single 180 degree cut (especially inside a magic weed limo) means you need to go through the rigmarole of setting up the new camera position it can't possibly be "live" any more.

Why it's that in particular that breaks the precious immersion, I'm not qualified to say, I loved that segment.

Oh I know all about the rules of the camera and all that stuff, I'm just saying that it seemed like a stupid thing for people to freak out about when the undead zombie wrestler was kidnapping the GM in a puff of smoke in a magical limo.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Shitty_Wok posted:

Do we need to find the forklift song for this?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Shitty_Wok posted:

When your entire show is presented as a live sporting event you don't get to have a random first-person view for no reason. It was retarded, end of story.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WeaselWeaz posted:

When your entire show is presented as a live sporting event you don't get to have a random first-person view for no reason. It was retarded, end of story.
Word. It's right up there with worked-shoot Russo bullshit in taking me out of the story. We know it's fake. It's a zombie wrestler kidnapping a man in a magic limo. But don't break the rules you've written for your universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I will respond to you with the same response I hear when anyone says something dumb has happened on wrestling: it's wrestling.