Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Rainier National Park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

torgeaux posted:

bay by torgeaux, on Flickr
Love the clouds!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

Rainier National Park

Newton rings:argh:

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Finally got my rear end up a hill:

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Noob questions ahead:

What kind of lens is preferred for landscape photography? A wide angle or a telephoto?

Similar question for picture specs: For overall clarity, should I crank the f-stop to the highest it can go (f22, f36, f.etc)?

On both my gf's nifty fifty and my kit lens (:negative:), I cannot *focus to infinity, which makes it almost impossible to get a lot of sharpness across a distant picture. I was actually curious to know how to get rid of this problem, is there some trick to figuring it out?

Also, and I know this depends on the situation, but what metering mode is typically used for landscapes?

*edit 'cause I was stoopid

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 22, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Both wide and long lenses can be used successfully for landscapes. I'd say the majority of people prefer wider angles.

Using the smallest aperture (highest f/#) will give you the greatest depth of field, so both the foreground and background will be in focus, generally a desired characteristic of a landscape photo. The problem is that most lenses are sharpest around f/8 or f/11. Most lenses are significantly less sharp at their narrowest aperture so I wouldn't recommend always going to f/22+.
This is another reason why people like wide angle lenses: due to the nature of the wide field of view, the depth of field (the distance in front of you that is in focus) is much bigger on wider angle lenses than on telephotos. This allows you to use an aperture closer to the lens' sweet spot (f/11 for example) and still have the foreground and background be in focus.

I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to zoom to infinity. Do you mean can't focus to infinity? If so, are you focusing manually or using autofocus? If focusing manually, usually turning the focus ring all the way in one direction will actually allow you to focus just past infinity meaning nothing will be in focus. Usually infinity focus is just a smidge short of the farthest the ring will go. I don't remember exactly why they do this but someone here knows.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Crossposting from SAD:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
DH,

Nice, you caught anti-crepuscular rays along the Belt of Venus. Very cool.

H

Dread Head posted:

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

spf3million posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to zoom to infinity. Do you mean can't focus to infinity? If so, are you focusing manually or using autofocus? If focusing manually, usually turning the focus ring all the way in one direction will actually allow you to focus just past infinity meaning nothing will be in focus. Usually infinity focus is just a smidge short of the farthest the ring will go. I don't remember exactly why they do this but someone here knows.

I was talking to my best friend's wife and she said that apparently most lenses are not calibrated properly (because they are interchangable lenses, they do not set it to a specific body type). You can calibrate them yourself, but it is a pain in the rear end (you could also just have Canon calibrate it for you).

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

spf3million posted:

Usually infinity focus is just a smidge short of the farthest the ring will go. I don't remember exactly why they do this but someone here knows.

I've read there are two reasons for this. One, focus can vary depending on temperature. So focus to infinity can be in different locations (it doesn't vary that much, but it does vary). The other reason there is extra room at the end is so that the focusing mechanism doesn't slam into the end of the focus range when it reaches infinity.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
MOUNTAINS <3

Taken this summer at Big Sur (sp?), California

This place called Flåm in norway

Close to some town (forgot the name of it though :/) in New Zealand

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Some stuff I've been lazy about posting.

Longs Peak:

Wasatch Range:

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Far too much great stuff in here to comment on all of them. Looks like it's been a good summer for everyone.

tank9900
Mar 27, 2004

English, motherfucker, do you speak it?

Imaginary Friend posted:

Close to some town (forgot the name of it though :/) in New Zealand

Do you remember the general area of this, if not the town name? I'm in New Zealand for the semester and I must stand on that peak. That is breathtaking! Great shots btw.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Looks like Lake Wakatipu, near Queenstown.

Different angle:

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Yep that was it. Asked friend who travelled with me and he thought it was Queenstown as well. Remember to bring peanuts to illegally(?) feed the kea birds at the top so you can take awesome pics of them ;)

for content, another pic of the eerie ship:

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 24, 2010

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
This is near Queenstown too, you just see Lake Wakatipu centre right :)

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Talimena Scenic Drive in Oklahoma/Arkansas (map):

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Beautiful shots, quazi.

Are those blended or single exposures?

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
They're all single exposures, but I had to use a 3-stop GND filter to keep the sky from going completely white.

Also my filter must be getting old because I kept having to fight a warm color cast that I never noticed before. The middle photo above still kinda has it, but it was a lot worse than that straight out of the camera.

edit: Nope! It was from an increase in color temperature in Lightroom! (that's good, because those filters are getting harder to find.)

quazi fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 31, 2010

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

Some snapshot/landscapes I took in PEI

Not sure how I feel about the upper clouds in this one - they were grey like that out of the camera so what can you do.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

quazi posted:

My god that is stunning :monocle:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
A couple more from my trip to Utah.

Spotted Wolf Canyon in central Utah.

20100817-IMG_4566 Pano (flickr export).jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

From the other side.

20100817-IMG_4586 Pano.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

And one more from the Olympic Peninsula over the weekend. Who needs a ND filter when it's 20 minutes past sundown and your in forest?

20100828-IMG_4758.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

And one more from the Olympic Peninsula over the weekend. Who needs a ND filter when it's 20 minutes past sundown and your in forest?

Is it windy or are your trees in the back out of focus?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Is it windy or are your trees in the back out of focus?

Well it was F11 @ 10mm (My lens needs to be repaired and always reports) so the DOF should be enough. My guess is that there was a slight breeze. I know the bushes to the right of the falls were moving like crazy.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
I like how this picture turned out. My cousin taking a nap on a mountaintop at a grouse hunt in 2008.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I've gotten into photography over the last month or so, im very, very new to this, but I had a chance to go down to the local fields with my little PAS and take a few shots and here's what I managed;

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Heintron posted:

I like how this picture turned out. My cousin taking a nap on a mountaintop at a grouse hunt in 2008.

I like this a lot. The post looks a little tone-mapped to me (is it?), but it totally works for me.

Thirteenth Step posted:

I've gotten into photography over the last month or so, im very, very new to this, but I had a chance to go down to the local fields with my little PAS and take a few shots and here's what I managed;

Assuming these are HDR as well? I like the composition of the first one the best. The second one has a nice sky, but nothing from the lower third grabs me. The third has promise but I think it'd be better if you'd gotten rid of the empty space in the bottom 1/4 of the frame, either by cropping or moving closer the hay.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Assuming these are HDR as well?
I'm not sure if it's that or if that his P&S has just blown the sky so it looks like HDR-ish. I really like the first one aswell, its just a shame about the sky.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Yeah sorry, I was experimenting with HDR. I tried to pick a day where there were some nicer clouds around but i've found over the last few weeks its either completely gray or no clouds at all :(

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Some photos taken on holiday:

I only took a handful of digital shots, Kodachrome to follow

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thirteenth Step posted:

Yeah sorry, I was experimenting with HDR. I tried to pick a day where there were some nicer clouds around but i've found over the last few weeks its either completely gray or no clouds at all :(

Sorry, wasn't meaning to call you out or anything. It's pretty difficult to get the non blown out sky and properly exposed ground with a P&S (especially if it only shoots JPG). I was mostly just curious.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I think it'd be better if you'd gotten rid of the empty space in the bottom 1/4 of the frame, either by cropping or moving closer the hay.

Just did a quick edit based on your advice, i think it looks better now. I also gave it a touch more exposure to match the other hay shot, although without any real clouds it does still look very plain and boring.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Sorry, wasn't meaning to call you out or anything. It's pretty difficult to get the non blown out sky and properly exposed ground with a P&S (especially if it only shoots JPG). I was mostly just curious.

No worries. :)

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 6, 2010

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

thefreshmaker
Jul 7, 2005

Dumb question directed at the community in general: In a lot of your guys' photos, the sky and atmosphere look incredibly clear. Are you reducing haze in post? Or is that just from the conditions when you took the shot? If you're doing it in post, how? If it's the conditions at the time, any advice on how to predict haze-free atmosphere? Is it just humidity?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

thefreshmaker posted:

Dumb question directed at the community in general: In a lot of your guys' photos, the sky and atmosphere look incredibly clear. Are you reducing haze in post? Or is that just from the conditions when you took the shot? If you're doing it in post, how? If it's the conditions at the time, any advice on how to predict haze-free atmosphere? Is it just humidity?
I live in China so my shits hazy as a mother fucker and as far as I know, there isn't a great way to get a clear sky if it was shot through haze. I'm guessing you shoot in a hazier environment than say someone living in New Mexico or Mongolia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can somewhat compensate for haze with exposure and contrast comp, but it's never going to be ideal.