Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

MothraAttack posted:

Rumors are that 4 PCVs died in the Kampala bomb attacks. Any word on this? Hopefully it's just paranoia :(.

Various news sites say one American died and he was in no way related to Peace Corps. It's just one of those rumors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Sucks, like a Baltic squid.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Looks like we're rivals till this shits over...

Nah, I'm having trouble with my getting my English tutoring thing (won't be able to until like September, and then I need 3 months) so I'm probably going to get pushed back a bit. Still, nice to know another goon might be in the area!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I have good technical skills, to put it mildly. (I'm looking at PhD program in Computer Science.)

But before grad school, I want to travel, and I want to help the world.

But I don't want to build huts, I want to use my technical skills in some capacity... is that possible with the Peace Corps? Or are most positions unskilled labor and/or teaching?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

We don't build stuff. Why do people think we build stuff?

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
My friend who applied from Japan (like I am doing now) just sent me a nice e-mail on how to do everything for the medical check while in Japan.
I am lucky that I am going home for two weeks and will get the TB, MMR (& and any other vaccine that I might need), and my eyeballs checked. Though all of these can be done from here, just not as easy as home.
I ditched the idea of bothering the VA hospital when I go home this summer, and the DoD hospital at the military base north of me. The both seemed extremely busy when I called (because they didn't even pick up my calls after waiting for an hour or so).

All together, including the blood tests, (but not the eye, or dental, which is still really cheap here) should cost around 350. Yay! And I can get it all done with one trip.

I know I am the only one right now applying from Japan, and maybe the first ever on SA, but because we are all a bunch of nerdgoons here, I assume there will be one more, and I will be more than willing to help anyone. Maybe it will be the same process in other foreign countries... who knows?
I will write up a more detailed list of stuff that I went through, once I get it all done.

Also, thanks to you goons for helping.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

GregNorc posted:

I have good technical skills, to put it mildly. (I'm looking at PhD program in Computer Science.)

But before grad school, I want to travel, and I want to help the world.

But I don't want to build huts, I want to use my technical skills in some capacity... is that possible with the Peace Corps? Or are most positions unskilled labor and/or teaching?

A PCV in my group here in Jamaica spent his first year teaching literacy and running a computer lab at his primary school, and is spending his second fixing the island-wide school attendance and test taking software. Previous volunteers worked in computer labs, I know of a transportation engineer who used GPS to map the Kingston bus system and develop timetables, and another CS major who developed a GIS system for watershed management. I'm sure if you play that up you'll be able to use your skills.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Check out health clinics for the poor. I went to one and got all my work done for like $200.

Winna
Oct 10, 2004
_)_)====|D ~o ~o ~o
Got my invite today, small enterprise development in Vanuatu. Wow, its been almost a year and two months since I initially applied. This has been a long time coming and i'm glad the wait will be over on Sept 10th.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Winna posted:

Got my invite today, small enterprise development in Vanuatu. Wow, its been almost a year and two months since I initially applied. This has been a long time coming and i'm glad the wait will be over on Sept 10th.

Really happy for you dude. I should be finishing my medical stuff today, even for someone with virtually no health problems this has sucked.

Winna
Oct 10, 2004
_)_)====|D ~o ~o ~o
yeah I hear ya, medical was the worst phase.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

NOTAVIRUS.jpg.exe posted:

When you get a reply please share it! I'm very curious about this too.

Finally got an answer!

"Dear amethystbliss,
I apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We cannot prevent your husband from moving into the same community as you, but in the event of an emergency the Peace Corps is not responsible for his safety and security, only yours. The Peace Corps will do everything in its power to get its volunteers to safety in the event of an emergency, such as civil unrest, but we cannot be responsible for people who are not Peace Corps volunteers. Having a family member living in the same community could present a liability for the Peace Corps and it is highly discouraged for this reason. Your husband can visit while you are serving though, and the Peace Corps generally will help getting visas or arranging travel plans if possible. Visiting volunteers is encouraged.
You can submit an application while living overseas without a problem. We will arrange an interview with you over the phone or through video chat online.

Sincerely,
Peace Corps - New York Regional Office"

T-Rex Money
Dec 10, 2009
Has anyone ever re-enrolled? I was medically separated this past May, and have had the summer to reflect on my experiences. I've decided that my Peace Corps experience is not yet over and I would like to do it again. However I have no clue how to start the re-enrollment process. Anyone with experience in this?

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009

T-Rex Money posted:

Has anyone ever re-enrolled? I was medically separated this past May, and have had the summer to reflect on my experiences. I've decided that my Peace Corps experience is not yet over and I would like to do it again. However I have no clue how to start the re-enrollment process. Anyone with experience in this?

If your medsep issue has been resolved, you just need a doctor to verify this. It's best to contact the OMS just to make sure there is/isn't a specific form your doctor would need to fill out and send to Peace Corps. You might be assigned to a different community/country if they've placed another vol in your community though, it is up to the CD to decide if they want you back in the same place. Other than that it should be really simple.

Good luck!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Just thought of this, not sure if it's been covered or not but speaking of all the medical stuff, does being nearsighted really affect one's chances/position in line, so to speak? And what about someone who gets corrective surgery?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

What The Fucktrain posted:

Just thought of this, not sure if it's been covered or not but speaking of all the medical stuff, does being nearsighted really affect one's chances/position in line, so to speak? And what about someone who gets corrective surgery?

Doesn't affect it in the slighest. Only difference is during the medical phase you will have to see your optometrist to get information about your glasses (Size, shape, lenses etc.), and you MUST bring two pairs with you.

You can bring contacts if you want but you still need 2 pairs of glasses, because they cannot pay for the fluid and you can't be guaranteed you'll find any out there.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Doesn't affect it in the slighest. Only difference is during the medical phase you will have to see your optometrist to get information about your glasses (Size, shape, lenses etc.), and you MUST bring two pairs with you.

You can bring contacts if you want but you still need 2 pairs of glasses, because they cannot pay for the fluid and you can't be guaranteed you'll find any out there.

And I know if you get corrective surgery, there's like an extra waiting period, to make sure everything is ok there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pocket DeSade posted:

And I know if you get corrective surgery, there's like an extra waiting period, to make sure everything is ok there.

Right sorry didn't see the question about corrective surgery.

Sheriff Man-Thong
Nov 16, 2006

UT! Here it comes again!
I got my nomination on Friday! Community Development, Subsaharan Africa, April/May 2011 departure.

So excited! :dance:

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I really gotta turn in my application. My only problem is my apartment lease runs until Aug 2011 but it sounds like that's perfect timing.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

Sheriff Man-Thong posted:

I got my nomination on Friday! Community Development, Subsaharan Africa, April/May 2011 departure.

So excited! :dance:

Congrats! Very exciting! :D

Winna
Oct 10, 2004
_)_)====|D ~o ~o ~o
Anyone have any advice for staging? I was surprised that we have to wear business casual at orientation, slacks, dress shoes...I don't know how these clothes will ultimately fair in the South Pacific weather.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

It's good to have something nice to wear, even if it stays mothballed for a lot of your service. I have a few long sleeve shirts, ties and slacks that I wore in staging and training, and then pull out whenever I have a meeting with some important official. I also got a decent looking pair of Keenes at REI that can almost pass for dress shoes that I'm wearing out. Just make sure that whatever you bring is comfortable, I was stupid enough to bring wool pants that did not survive.

Check the Peace Corps Wiki for your region or country and they should have clothing advice, but having one or two nice outfits isn't a bad idea.

Sheriff Man-Thong
Nov 16, 2006

UT! Here it comes again!
So my nomination came in the mail last week - how long should I expect to wait for the rest of the forms and such?

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

So my nomination came in the mail last week - how long should I expect to wait for the rest of the forms and such?

It took me like 2 weeks or so to get it in the mail, but I think that might be unusually long.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I got mine almost immediatly but I live right outside of Boston so I'm very close to a recruitment center.

Winna
Oct 10, 2004
_)_)====|D ~o ~o ~o

RagnarokAngel posted:

I got mine almost immediatly but I live right outside of Boston so I'm very close to a recruitment center.

Washington DC? What does proximity to whatever recruitment center have to do with speed of nomination in the information age? Nominations for certain programs open up nation wide on a certain time and date, it is up to your recruiter to nominate you as soon as possible and get you a slot before the fill up.

Sheriff Man-Thong
Nov 16, 2006

UT! Here it comes again!

Winna posted:

Washington DC? What does proximity to whatever recruitment center have to do with speed of nomination in the information age? Nominations for certain programs open up nation wide on a certain time and date, it is up to your recruiter to nominate you as soon as possible and get you a slot before the fill up.

That's true but we're talking about receiving the vetting materials in the mail once we've been nominated - I got mine over a week ago and still haven't received any of the forms yet.

Winna
Oct 10, 2004
_)_)====|D ~o ~o ~o

That's true but we're talking about receiving the vetting materials in the mail once we've been nominated - I got mine over a week ago and still haven't received any of the forms yet.

That's unsettling, I live on the west coast and nothing ever took more than a week to get here.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

So do the PC actually contact your references? I don't think any of mine were contacted. It's not a problem if they do, for me, but at what point would they actually contact them?

I'd feel kinda silly if they didn't contact them after I went through so much trouble securing them. :downswords:

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Pocket DeSade posted:

So do the PC actually contact your references? I don't think any of mine were contacted. It's not a problem if they do, for me, but at what point would they actually contact them?

I'd feel kinda silly if they didn't contact them after I went through so much trouble securing them. :downswords:

I remember one of my professional references saying he was contacted, verified a few things, and gave me a good recommendation. I didn't hear from any others, but I had a lot of projects I included through him, so maybe they were making sure it wasn't bs. I think they contacted him after my interview and before my nomination.

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 17, 2010

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just posting from my hotel room at staging to say thanks everyone for their time in this thread. When I'm an official PCV I'll do what I can to repay the favor on!

Gorko The Duck
Jun 28, 2005
It is not permissible to change a man whose male sexual organ is complete and likewise a woman whose female sexual organ is complete to the opposite gender
edit: poo poo. mis-edit. sorry.

Gorko The Duck fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 12, 2013

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well, my wife and I just finished our applications. Interesting little extra survey they have for people serving with their spouse about how you'll cope.

The hardest part for us will be that potentially we won't be together during the 3 months of Pre-Service Training. That would really suck.

Here's hoping!

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Gorko The Duck posted:

I took the provided online TEFL review test online and my language stuff is going alone well too.

What TEFL stuff did you do? I wanted to do TEFL certification online, but I heard of a lot of them are scams.

Winna
Oct 10, 2004
_)_)====|D ~o ~o ~o

Gorko The Duck posted:

Just today I sent in my passport/visa stuff to the Peace Corps-aligned travel organization (hopefully everything was in there, don't want to jinx myself)

... & by Peace Corps-aligned travel organization you mean the peace corps office in their prepaid FedEx/UPS overnight mail folder correct? They receive the folder and pass it directly on to the State Department to process your passport and visa.

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron

Riven posted:

Well, my wife and I just finished our applications. Interesting little extra survey they have for people serving with their spouse about how you'll cope.

The hardest part for us will be that potentially we won't be together during the 3 months of Pre-Service Training. That would really suck.

Here's hoping!

Most likely you won't be with the same host family. However, they'll still put you in the same training site. You just won't be "together" per se until after PST.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I heard that getting into the Peace Corps was insanely difficult and reserved mostly for people who've gone to elite universities. That kind of worries me since I'm definitely pretty interested in going overseas after talking with a coworker who is a RPCV from Jamaica, but I go to a bog standard state university. Does anybody know what the acceptance rate is?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Peven Stan posted:

I heard that getting into the Peace Corps was insanely difficult and reserved mostly for people who've gone to elite universities. That kind of worries me since I'm definitely pretty interested in going overseas after talking with a coworker who is a RPCV from Jamaica, but I go to a bog standard state university. Does anybody know what the acceptance rate is?

Check out links on this page for qualifications for whatever program you're interested in. You don't even need a college degree if you have enough work/other experience. I didn't go to any fancy school, but I was literally nominated the same day as my interview as a CS applicant; apparently they don't get many of those.

I've never heard of the PC being elitist or difficult to get into; I think the attrition rate is mostly people dropping out who can't/won't/don't slog through the the initial application/references process, or the arduous medical and other qualification process; all told, applying can take a year. My official nomination email says "Please keep in mind, geographic assignment has a 30-40% chance of re-assignment based on a number of variables such as technical and medical qualifications," which isn't exactly that, but gives you an idea of what can happen.

Gorko The Duck
Jun 28, 2005
It is not permissible to change a man whose male sexual organ is complete and likewise a woman whose female sexual organ is complete to the opposite gender

Winna posted:

... & by Peace Corps-aligned travel organization you mean the peace corps office in their prepaid FedEx/UPS overnight mail folder correct? They receive the folder and pass it directly on to the State Department to process your passport and visa.

edit: Thanks.

Gorko The Duck fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Peven Stan posted:

I heard that getting into the Peace Corps was insanely difficult and reserved mostly for people who've gone to elite universities.

You might be thinking of the Foreign Service.

• Locked thread