Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Wampus42 posted:

It can't help that his sleeves/pauldrons prevent him from leaving the kitchen.
Being trapped in the kitchen for excessive amounts of time has left him a master of the Lightfork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Owen_%28Kenobi%29

Those loving sperglords. I love their warped view of canon. It's obvious that "Owen" being Obi-Wan's brother was entirely the product of the original idea that it was Luke's Uncle Owen. So in a minor "junior Jedi" book, now that this has been re-conned it makes no sense but they still treat it as inerrant gospel. Their sourcing and rules are totally abysmal. And now they've got me freaking out over it, but only because they won't own up to being a bunch of loving :neckbeard: fanboys and try to dress it up as some definitive encyclopedia.

Also, while I agree with most of the criticisms of Karen Traviss earlier in the thread, many of them are way too :spergin: as well.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Off topic.

I can't get over the fact this picture is canon. Satyrs and spears and arrows. Add this to EU.jpg please.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Slantedfloors posted:

Being trapped in the kitchen for excessive amounts of time has left him a master of the Lightfork.

Christ! Not too loud! Lucasarts/Bioware might be looking for ideas on unique drops.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Wampus42 posted:

Christ! Not too loud! Lucasarts/Bioware might be looking for ideas on unique drops.

+5 Attack vs Cheesecake
-3 Defense vs Heart Disease

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Throb Robinson posted:

Off topic.

I can't get over the fact this picture is canon. Satyrs and spears and arrows. Add this to EU.jpg please.

That looks loving awesome so no.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I thought the beginning of lord of the rings was sweet too.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
If we're posting that, can someone post the pimping sky-ship? FOOM. FOOM. FOOM

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Throb Robinson posted:

Off topic.

Hey, guys, we mastered laser technology to make loving laser swords. But we think bows and arrows are the apex of warfare, so we're just gonna leave them be.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Crowetron posted:

Hey, guys, we mastered laser technology to make loving laser swords. But we think bows and arrows are the apex of warfare, so we're just gonna leave them be.

It's the Star Wars universe man! For every Coruscant there's a hundred backwater planets. Why do you think the Empire took control so easily? I think 3/4 of the Star Wars galaxy is a loving alien hillbilly ghetto. That's why Jedi Knights kick so much rear end, they're like kung fu masters.

Speaking of which, are there any Jedis that fight hand to hand? I want to see some Jedis battle it out traditional kung fu movie style with no sabers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abecTih3Xw poo poo like that would be awesome in a Star Wars spin off.

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 18, 2010

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Speaking of which, are there any Jedis that fight hand to hand? I want to see some Jedis battle it out traditional kung fu movie style with no sabers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abecTih3Xw poo poo like that would be awesome in a Star Wars spin off.
Mace Windu did a bunch of saber-less stuff against a huge droid army at one point, but it was in that Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon so it ended up being a ridiculous cheesy DBZ-esque wankfest.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

During the Ruusan War didn't everything kind of go to poo poo so that people had to use primitive tech in a lot of battles?

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Dude. It's crap like this that made Star Wars stupid.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Hazo posted:

Mace Windu did a bunch of saber-less stuff against a huge droid army at one point, but it was in that Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon so it ended up being a ridiculous cheesy DBZ-esque wankfest.

Oh man, are you serious? That sounds loving awesome. I was always disappointed how ineffectual Jedis were without their sabers. I've gotta check that out now.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Mister_Eel posted:

Sorry dude. I guess kung fu styles really would gently caress up a magical universe of laser swords and muppets huh?

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Sorry dude. I guess kung fu styles really would gently caress up a magical universe of laser swords and muppets huh?

I think he means that obviously choreographed dance sequences that server no purpose and provide no tension because neither character is going to defeat the other until the dance sequence ends are part of what is killing Star Wars.

Watching that TOR trailer again just left me screaming in my head....WHY DO THEY LEAVE COVER TO GO ENGAGE IN HAND TO HAND COMBAT WITH LIGHTSABER-WIELDING SITH? It doesn't make any sense.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I'm curiuos what everyone's thoughts are on Thrawn (in my opinion, the only real amazing EU character)? Is he to be considered an evil dude since he is with the Empire, or was he similar to Robert E Lee where he was a good guy who fought for his home cause?

My memory on the books is hazy, but beyond the Nogri enslavement (which is pretty bad) I don't remember many bad things about the guy.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Mister_Eel posted:

Agreed. We get shitheaps like this when they try to include martial arts in the SW universe: Teräs Käsi

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Azzmo posted:

I think he means that obviously choreographed dance sequences that server no purpose and provide no tension because neither character is going to defeat the other until the dance sequence ends are part of what is killing Star Wars.

Oh, okay! I mean poo poo! Darth Vader just hit Obi Wan once and he disappeared! Totally lame. And man, all those space fighters just shooting around everywhere!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

So I'm curiuos what everyone's thoughts are on Thrawn (in my opinion, the only real amazing EU character)? Is he to be considered an evil dude since he is with the Empire, or was he similar to Robert E Lee where he was a good guy who fought for his home cause?

My memory on the books is hazy, but beyond the Nogri enslavement (which is pretty bad) I don't remember many bad things about the guy.

Well, he inherited that Noghri slavery thing from Vader. It's kind of like the two wars with Obama, I can't really blame him for them.

Thrawn does kill an underling at one point for making a mistake, a la Vader. But another time he forgives one and promotes him for at least trying to fix the problem. So, I don't know. I think living under Emperor Thrawn wouldn't have been too bad overall.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Wampus42 posted:

Agreed. We get shitheaps like this when they try to include martial arts in the SW universe: Teräs Käsi

I never played the playstation game, but that sounds awesome. Kung Fu and the Force go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Oh, okay! I mean poo poo! Darth Vader just hit Obi Wan once and he disappeared! Totally lame. And man, all those space fighters just shooting around everywhere!

In that clip you provided they are doing gymnastics tricks while their opponent carefully avoids hitting them and, instead, aims at various points so that their blows can be easily avoided.

I'm just saying that Star Wars doesn't need more battles with both sides wearing indestructible plot armor. The death of Obi Wan was a pretty big shock to most people, I imagine, and his duel served the dual purpose of buying time/creating a distraction for his friends to escape while also becoming one with the force so that he could better guide Luke's development in the force.

Compare that the the prequel lightsaber fights where none of the saber battles over the course of 2 3/4 films occurred for any reason until the end of RotS when Yoda and Obi Wan finally decided to kill some fuckers.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

O U :allears:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Throb Robinson posted:

Off topic.

Gentlemen, I give you peak EU.jpg:

THIS WAS IN AN ACTUAL PUBLISHED BOOK. Play 'Spot the thing from Lord of the Rings', there's a lot of them!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Well, he inherited that Noghri slavery thing from Vader. It's kind of like the two wars with Obama, I can't really blame him for them.

Thrawn does kill an underling at one point for making a mistake, a la Vader. But another time he forgives one and promotes him for at least trying to fix the problem. So, I don't know. I think living under Emperor Thrawn wouldn't have been too bad overall.

Didn't Thrawn kill the guy because he screwed up and then blamed it on his lack of training?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Didn't Thrawn kill the guy because he screwed up and then blamed it on his lack of training?

Yup. And then he promoted a guy who froze up his tractor beam computer by trying a risky fix around some tactic Luke was doing to break free. And everyone respected him a lot more for the promotion thing.

Just pointing out that for how much of a "stand up" guy he is, all classy with his art, he's still evil enough to just order the murder of a subordinate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Thrawn is a very "ends justifies the means" kind of guy and that's the BEST you can say about him, morally.

He's still an interesting multi-layered character, though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

THIS WAS IN AN ACTUAL PUBLISHED BOOK. Play 'Spot the thing from Lord of the Rings', there's a lot of them!

Someone post the comparison LoTR shot please.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone post the comparison LoTR shot please.

This one?

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Milky Moor posted:

The soldiers in the front are literally wearing Gondor armor.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Milky Moor posted:

This one?

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

i had no idea it was such a loving ridiculous ripoff.

That is vile, how'd they get away with it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Greedish posted:

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

i had no idea it was such a loving ridiculous ripoff.

That is vile, how'd they get away with it?

Didn't people ask this about Episodes 1-3?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

arioch posted:

Thrawn is a very "ends justifies the means" kind of guy and that's the BEST you can say about him, morally.

He's still an interesting multi-layered character, though.

Ok here, this is the best way I've found to describe Thrawn:

Thrawn is The Empire Strikes Back, personified. He's cold, he's competent, he actually wins.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

If he tortured one innocent puppy to death for fun there'd be no question. He didn't do that. He just waged interstellar war via his insane jedi and his army of clones. There's "ends justify the means" and there's getting a few billion people killed for an aggressive war of galactic re-conquest.

WampaLord posted:

The confederacy inherited slavery from their parents. Doesn't change the fact that they're owning people. And the whole if-you-speak-your-mind they shoot you and your family. Other than that not too bad.

Also I'm pretty sure he wiped all life off the surface of some planet. Caamas maybe. I recall him mentioning it to some underling, showing him a vase and saying he destroyed the world it came from. But hey he's a more interesting character than 99.9% of the rest, we can forgive him a few genocides and enslavement and tyranny.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

T-1000 posted:

The confederacy inherited slavery from their parents. Doesn't change the fact that they're owning people. And the whole if-you-speak-your-mind they shoot you and your family. Other than that not too bad.

But imagine Vader coming up to you like "Hey, I got this race of super loyal assassins who actually love serving us. You want in, or should I just let them go free?"

Hard to pass that up, regardless of moral viewpoints.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

WampaLord posted:

But imagine Vader coming up to you like "Hey, I got this race of super loyal assassins who actually love serving us. You want in, or should I just let them go free?"

If you don't pass that up you are literally evil. Just throwing that out there.

T-1000 posted:

Also I'm pretty sure he wiped all life off the surface of some planet. Caamas maybe. I recall him mentioning it to some underling, showing him a vase and saying he destroyed the world it came from. But hey he's a more interesting character than 99.9% of the rest, we can forgive him a few genocides and enslavement and tyranny.

It wasn't Caamas, it was a planet out in the Unknown Regions, populated by a race that opposed him yet he was unable to Understand.

Aside from that, Thrawn is one of the few Star Wars villains who kills more enemies than he gets his own side killed. Think about it.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I don't exactly follow. If Vader were coming up to you saying "Hey, I got this spare coupon for a lifetime supply of fresh bananas. You want it, or should I just throw it away?" then moral viewpoints wouldn't exactly come into it because bananas are delicious and have no rights and these ones are certified organic and fairtrade and Vader won the coupon in a competition fair and square.
Passing up ownership of people, some moral viewpoints might find that easier than others. These moral viewpoints are held by people who aren't complete monsters.

arioch posted:

Aside from that, Thrawn is one of the few Star Wars villains who kills more enemies than he gets his own side killed. Think about it.
Not really that hard since most EU end in complete annihilation of the villian of the week and their forces. I can think of maybe three competent bad guys, the rest are just moustache-twirling eeeevil.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 18, 2010

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

T-1000 posted:

I think this was retconned at some point to be General Grievous' home planet, also that at one point Thrawn got Grievous' mask and used it to analyze their tactics from it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

T-1000 posted:

I don't exactly follow. If Vader were coming up to you saying "Hey, I got this spare coupon for a lifetime supply of fresh bananas. You want it, or should I just throw it away?" then moral viewpoints wouldn't exactly come into it because bananas are delicious and have no rights and these ones are certified organic and fairtrade and Vader won the coupon in a competition fair and square.
Passing up ownership of people, some moral viewpoints might find that easier than others. These moral viewpoints are limited to people who aren't complete monsters.

Two things. 1 - you misquoted the second quote there, I didn't say that.

And 2 -

To these people, it isn't viewed as slavery, but fair trade. They are actually happy to serve the Empire (or were until Leia exposed the con for what it was). So as an Imperial Officer who needs a super awesome assassin squad (or twenty), I'm saying he's really not in a place to argue moralilty over the decision. Does this make him extra evil or something? I think it just makes him pragmatic.

(I'm not trying to get all Mad Hamish up in here, just having a fun little argument about Star Wars morality :circlefap:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

WampaLord posted:

To these people, it isn't viewed as slavery, but fair trade. They are actually happy to serve the Empire (or were until Leia exposed the con for what it was). So as an Imperial Officer who needs a super awesome assassin squad (or twenty), I'm saying he's really not in a place to argue moralilty over the decision. Does this make him extra evil or something? I think it just makes him pragmatic.

(I'm not trying to get all Mad Hamish up in here, just having a fun little argument about Star Wars morality :circlefap:)
Sorry, fixed the misquote.

If he could power a superweapon by abducting and abusing children, it would be pragmatic. And evil. To those children it wouldn't be abuse, it'd be their life.